• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiyo

Sooo, holy fucking shit, the DualShock 4 is extremely prone to interference. I have my router on the shelf beneath the Pro, I've got an iPad and iPhone in the room, an Xbox wireless adapter that's always on, and the Bell wireless TV transmitter thingie, too.
But for fuck's sake Sony, what the actual fuck. I don't have any problems with the Xbox controller, this shit is a fucking joke by today's standards. Everyone has dozens of wireless devices nowadays, make your fucking controllers so they aren't prone to interference.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I can make the controller lag by moving the iPad close to it.

Try resetting the controller and connecting it again? Might get on a different channel with less interference. And maybe try moving the router away from the Pro?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Try resetting the controller and connecting it again? Might get on a different channel with less interference. And maybe try moving the router away from the Pro?

My router is right next to my PS4 too, that shouldnt be the issue. He's probably got some other electronics interfering with the signal.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I did the reset thing twice already, and I can't move the router away since there Bell DSL outlet is right there and the PVR and wireless TV thingie... it'd be a complete mess.
But you gave me an idea, I could move the Pro 3 meters away if I get the vertical stand, hmmmmmm. Anyone know if putting it vertically will cause any issues? I assume there shouldn't be any problems.

kaiyo

I did the reset thing twice already, and I can't move the router away since there Bell DSL outlet is right there and the PVR and wireless TV thingie... it'd be a complete mess.
But you gave me an idea, I could move the Pro 3 meters away if I get the vertical stand, hmmmmmm. Anyone know if putting it vertically will cause any issues? I assume there shouldn't be any problems.

Well, just try to narrow down what's causing the interference. Turn of all other wireless devices and if it still has a problem then it either there's some other interference going on or the controller is defective. If it's fine at that point, try turning on the wireless of each device. etc.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, just try to narrow down what's causing the interference. Turn of all other wireless devices and if it still has a problem then it either there's some other interference going on or the controller is defective. If it's fine at that point, try turning on the wireless of each device. etc.
I only got the iPhone/iPad and neither has Bluetooth on. The only other things sending a signal in my room are the router and the Bell shit. Two routers actually, because the Bell modem/router is active as well. And then there's that Xbox wireless adapter that's always plugged into my PC, but it's not in use anyway.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I only got the iPhone/iPad and neither has Bluetooth on. The only other things sending a signal in my room are the router and the Bell shit. Two routers actually, because the Bell modem/router is active as well. And then there's that Xbox wireless adapter that's always plugged into my PC, but it's not in use anyway.

Have you tried using different controllers to see if the issue persists? Might just be a faulty controller.

For anyone looking for high quality headphones, there are nice discounts on the Sennheiser line on Amazon. I picked up the HD 650s for $449, which is $100 off the regular price. The HD 600s are going for $399.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Have you tried using different controllers to see if the issue persists? Might just be a faulty controller.
Not yet, but I had this thing happen twice with my old PS4. This time now it happens regularly. I think it's gotta be the wireless signal, because the controller works fine when connected via USB.

Bronetta

Finally checked out with the Source:

Final Fantasy XV - $50
Deus Ex Mankind Dividied - $35
Tearaway Unfolded - $10
Knack - $7

Total after $25 coupon = $77+tax

Watch Knack be on PS+ for January knowing my luck.

Yasumi

Banned
Just grabbed FE Fates for $25 (please don't suck too much), Mad Max for $15 (only saw Fury Road, why not), and a new set of computer speakers for $15, pretty satisfied.

Picked up some 30 dolla games

DEUS EX ps4
SKYRIM ps4
GOW 4

GOT FF15 from psn.

Was about to get dishonored 2 but decided to wait until it's cheaper.

IndustryX

Just grabbed FE Fates for $25 (please don't suck too much), Mad Max for $15 (only saw Fury Road, why not), and a new set of computer speakers for $15, pretty satisfied.

Mad Max is a ton of fun, and super under rated. Really really enjoyed it. Its Arkham style combat with awesome driving and locales.

kaiyo

Are the iphone and ipad wifi on? if they are using 2.4ghz which is what bluetooth uses, there can be overlap. And you said the xbox wireless adapter is always on, even if it's not in use it's still broadcasting wireless waves, i also read that the xbox wireless uses a higher bandwidth = more channels? .

Why not just turn everything off except for the modem and router and see if the problem persists? And then turn each device on one at a time until you find the culprit?

Why not turn off the Bells router (modem/router combo) if you have your own router?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Are the iphone and ipad wifi on? if they are using 2.4ghz which is what bluetooth uses, there can be overlap. And you said the xbox wireless adapter is always on, even if it's not in use it's still broadcasting wireless waves, i also read that the xbox wireless uses a higher bandwidth = more channels? .

Why not just turn everything off except for the modem and router and see if the problem persists? And then turn each device on one at a time until you find the culprit?

Why not turn off the Bells router (modem/router combo) if you have your own router?

I use the Bell router for some other devices, because I started having waaaaaaay to many fucking devices connected to the same router. Like, fucks sake, my parents didn't sell their old iPhones when they upgraded so we have like 3-4 iPhones laying around, one is a dedicated music player connected to a wireless speaker, the other 2 my brother uses to play on them when the battery runs out on the others. We have like 5-6 consoles using the WiFi, a Wii U, 2 Pros, an Xbox 360 and One. My brother's friends always bring their iPods or tablets so sometimes those are on our network as well. Even our fucking garage door is on the network lmfao.

I didn't know that Bluetooth uses the same frequency as 2.4GHz WiFi, but I'll try to turn them off now to see if there's any difference. As for that Xbox adapter, I don't think it's broadcasting anything since I don't have any controllers synced to it, but I'll unplug that shit too I suppose.

do you have a dual band router? or just one that broadcasts 2.4ghz? maybe it will be worth getting a router that can also broadcast a 5ghz signal

etta

my hard graphic balls
do you have a dual band router? or just one that broadcasts 2.4ghz? maybe it will be worth getting a router that can also broadcast a 5ghz signal

It's dual band, too, I use the 5GHz as well. It's a pretty decent router, a Linksys EA3XXX or something. It was almost $200 back when I bought it, so it was mid-high end I assume.
I should probably get another beefier one, though, hmmmmmm.

Bronetta

Picked up some 30 dolla games

DEUS EX ps4
SKYRIM ps4
GOW 4

GOT FF15 from psn.

Was about to get dishonored 2 but decided to wait until it's cheaper.

I was gonna recommend buying Dishonored 2 now from Best Buy to get the Limited Edition which includes Dishonored Definitive Edition but it looks like the LE is all sold out online.

kaiyo

I use the Bell router for some other devices, because I started having waaaaaaay to many fucking devices connected to the same router. Like, fucks sake, my parents didn't sell their old iPhones when they upgraded so we have like 3-4 iPhones laying around, one is a dedicated music player connected to a wireless speaker, the other 2 my brother uses to play on them when the battery runs out on the others. We have like 5-6 consoles using the WiFi, a Wii U, 2 Pros, an Xbox 360 and One. My brother's friends always bring their iPods or tablets so sometimes those are on our network as well. Even our fucking garage door is on the network lmfao.

I didn't know that Bluetooth uses the same frequency as 2.4GHz WiFi, but I'll try to turn them off now to see if there's any difference. As for that Xbox adapter, I don't think it's broadcasting anything since I don't have any controllers synced to it, but I'll unplug that shit too I suppose.

If you have your router behind the bell modem/router than anything that connects to your router gets double NAT. It's best to just turn off the router function in the Bell modem, set it to bridge mode.

Also if anyone is using the microwave, that can kill 2.4ghz wireless signals too. Best to use 5ghz on devices that support it, which will free up room for other 2.4ghz devices.

Has anyone ordered anything from Canada Computers today? Their site has been so messed up.

I tried to make an order and they charged (I think pre-authorized) but it went to a DB error when the payment was supposed to confirm on their end. I didn't get a confirmation email for the order but I did for the transaction, and when I try to log in it's logging me into someone else's account (!)

Almost pulled the trigger on a 4K TV, but I want to do more research before I do so. Didn't want to just get the cheapest available ones.

I bought one this week. What a mess the research has been - incredibly difficult annoying process. Marketing buzzwords everywhere, and misleading claims about HDR, hdmi 2.2, true 4k.

Plus on some brands and models our prices here are 50-80% higher than USD. Especially at the higher end.

Good luck to you!

etta

my hard graphic balls
If you have your router behind the bell modem/router than anything that connects to your router gets double NAT. It's best to just turn off the router function in the Bell modem, set it to bridge mode.

Also if anyone is using the microwave, that can kill 2.4ghz wireless signals too. Best to use 5ghz on devices that support it, which will free up room for other 2.4ghz devices.
Hmmmmmm, so is that why I get NAT 2 on my consoles?
I'll be damned.

Edit: It seems I can't use the bridge mode because that would cut off my TVs, they are on Bell Fibe.

kaiyo

Hmmmmmm, so is that why I get NAT 2 on my consoles?
I'll be damned.

Edit: It seems I can't use the bridge mode because that would cut off my TVs, they are on Bell Fibe.

I don't have bell but try turning off the wifi feature on the modem. Add your bell PPoE credentials on your Linksys router.

I have the same issue with Bluetooth controller interference (happens with my ps4 and wiimotes) when some other device in the house is using the 2.4ghz wireless from the router set up right next to my consoles.

The issue is definitely the trash Rogers router, it floods the entire 2.4 spectrum when in use. My old router did nothing remotely like it.

I recommend buying a proper router and putting your ISP one in bridge mode. Or getting all other devices on 5ghz and turning off the 2.4 wireless.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait so I just need to disable the WiFi feature of the Bell router, since that causes the interference? Because I still need to use the LAN ports on it, one at least for my own router.

Lexxism

Wait so I just need to disable the WiFi feature of the Bell router, since that causes the interference? Because I still need to use the LAN ports on it, one at least for my own router.
Just make the modem you got from Bell as bridge mode and use a dedicated router.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just make the modem you got from Bell as bridge mode and use a dedicated router.
I do have a dedicated router, but I can't use the bridge mode because of the Fibe TV. I'll turn off the WiFi on it and see if there's any improvement.

Edit: Ok turned off the WiFi and the light on the modem for WiFi also turned off, so far so good.

zroid

Banned
I like how the amiibo I ordered from Amazon on the 24th have been described as "Being shipped today" for each of the last 3 days.

I get why, but still it's such a tease!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hmmm, testing out the PS4, no input delay so far and I am using the controller in the same spot where I was getting interference earlier.

Mimosa97

I bought nothing on boxing day. I feel weird.

The fact that I've spent almost 3k$ (between Black friday, christmas gifts and various deals) when I had a 1500$ budget might be the reason ...

For anyone looking for high quality headphones, there are nice discounts on the Sennheiser line on Amazon. I picked up the HD 650s for $449, which is $100 off the regular price. The HD 600s are going for $399.

I ordered the 598Cs. Only issue is the headband doesn't look as comfortable as the open 598, but I'll be using them for gaming when my wife is watching TV and at work.

iBeleaf

Anyone know when PS4 Pro bundle will come out? Paying $500 + tax for a standalone console is laughable.

Hoping for a Horizon Pro Bundle

killroy87

Cheapest Boxing Day in a looooong time for me, mostly because I bought every game I wanted beforehand. I spent like $100, and that's on stuff like socks, and some Skylanders.

Also, this is anecdotal, but man alive were the malls dead. I'm in Calgary, where the economy is pretty shitty, but I was still blown away at how few people were in each store.

No_Style

I just wanted to chime in on the 2.4 GHz interference issue that some of you are having.

1. You should only be using channels 1, 6 or 11. Occupying any other number leaves you in a weird middle ground that could potentially receive more interference.
  2. You should use inSSIDer or other channel scanning software to find the weakest access point around and occupy the same channel as that one. You do not want two or more strong 2.4GHz signals battling it out on the same channel.
  3. If you can restrict your Channel Bandwidth to 20MHz from 40MHz or Auto setting, do so. (Or enable 20/40 MHz coexistence) You're helping yourself and your neighbours by allowing their 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi access points to find unoccupied channels. This is by far the most disruptive and anti-neighbour setting that early Draft 802.11n routers employ. It tries to improve 2.4GHz bandwidth speeds by occupying more channels. Unfortunately, this creates a lot of interference when there are a lot of access points around.
  4. Turn off excess 2.4GHz access points that you don't need. If you have multiple routers, pick one that can encompass your home and turn off the 2.4GHz on other routers.
  5. Move your devices to 5GHz if you can. Fewer devices on 2.4GHz the better.

Hope that helps.

Moltenix

Cheapest Boxing Day in a looooong time for me, mostly because I bought every game I wanted beforehand. I spent like $100, and that's on stuff like socks, and some Skylanders.

Also, this is anecdotal, but man alive were the malls dead. I'm in Calgary, where the economy is pretty shitty, but I was still blown away at how few people were in each store.

Calgary malls empty? Everyone must've been at Crossiron kuz it was complete gridlock there.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I just wanted to chime in on the 2.4 GHz interference issue that some of you are having.

1. You should only be using channels 1, 6 or 11. Occupying any other number leaves you in a weird middle ground that could potentially receive more interference.
  2. You should use inSSIDer or other channel scanning software to find the weakest access point around and occupy the same channel as that one. You do not want two or more strong 2.4GHz signals battling it out on the same channel.
  3. If you can restrict your Channel Bandwidth to 20MHz from 40MHz, 20/40 MHz or Auto setting, do so. You're helping yourself and your neighbours by allowing their 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi access points to find unoccupied channels. This is by far the most disruptive and anti-neighbour setting that early Draft 802.11n routers employ. It tries to improve 2.4GHz bandwidth speeds by occupying more channels. Unfortunately, this creates a lot of interference when there are a lot of access points around.
  4. Turn off excess 2.4GHz access points that you don't need. If you have multiple routers, pick one that can encompass your home and turn off the 2.4GHz on other routers.
  5. Move your devices to 5GHz if you can. Fewer devices on 2.4GHz the better.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, and yea my main router was already configured for 1, 6, and 11.

I've been playing a bit more now and the input delay seems gone, I really hope that was the problem.
Accept my apologies senpai Shuhei.
Well, I mean, stop using Bluetooth for your controllers for the love of God.

antibolo

Banned
Thanks, and yea my main router was already configured for 1, 6, and 11.

I've been playing a bit more now and the input delay seems gone, I really hope that was the problem.
Accept my apologies senpai Shuhei.
Well, I mean, stop using Bluetooth for your controllers for the love of God.

Bluetooth is the established standard, why would you not use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom