• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

farisr

Mafia 3's early PR was about games shipped to stores which is a mix of preorders + how convinced the stores were of how successful it would be. I don't recall hearing whether it was doing well with sales To customers. And seeing it drop this much this quickly, have a feeling it hasn't been doing all that well at all in that regard.

Mimosa97

Okay, now I'll bite. Wonder why it's getting lower though?

Because the reviews aren't very good ?

They prob ordered too many copies and sales must have been very disappointing so they're pretty much trying to get rid of their stock.

Still I have never seen a game get so low 2 months after its release. RIP mafia.

kevin1025

Banned
Mafia 3's early PR was about games shipped to stores which is a mix of preorders + how convinced the stores were of how successful it would be. I don't recall hearing whether it was doing well with sales To customers. And seeing it drop this much this quickly, have a feeling it hasn't been doing all that well at all in that regard.

There had been stories a little after release that it had to hit 8 million copies sold to be considered a success. Not sure how accurate they were, but you're probably right. Maybe I'm remembering the units shipped as the possibility of success rather than the success itself.

I'm really nervous about the future of single player games.

- Watch Dogs 2 bombed.
- Deus Ex bombed.
- Dishonored 2 bombed.
- And now maybe Mafia 3 didn't do so well after all.

Fuck.

farisr

I'm really nervous about the future of single player games.

- Watch Dogs 2 bombed.
- Deus Ex bombed.
- Dishonored 2 bombed.
- And now maybe Mafia 3 didn't do so well after all.

Fuck.
then again,

Ratchet & clank set a franchise record.
Doom did terrific.
Uncharted 4 set a series record as well iirc.
Dark souls 3 set some records.

And God of war has one of the most watched game trailers of the year.

daftstar

Any chance of Destiny Collection on PS4 going for $39 like the Xbox version? For some reason I'm willing to play it again (traded in vanilla version last year) and
since I have nothing else to play.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
then again,

Ratchet & clank set a franchise record.
Doom did terrific.
Uncharted 4 set a series record as well iirc.
Dark souls 3 set some records.

And God of war has one of the most watched game trailers of the year.

Except R&C all those games have multiplayer.

farisr

Except R&C all those games have multiplayer.
And have extremely well received single player modes as well, The person I quoted clearly doesn't mean "single player only" games since they included Watch Dogs 2 in there. Any game with a substantial single player aspect should qualify (as in all the games I listed). I play(ed) all those games exclusively for single player.

Magnus

Guys - Fido, Virgin and Koodo all have killer deals till midnight only on new plans. I just signed up for a 6gb plan with Fido for $60/month. I'll be saving a massive $40/month coming from Rogers (was on a terrible plan).

I need to eat the rest of my device subsidy cost ($160 or so), but I'll make that back in 4 months of savings, and the rest'll be gravy.

Search the web and RFD and all the other usual spots for all the details. I think Fido is only doing this till midnight tonight, but that Virgin/Koodo may have their similarly priced deals available till midnight tomorrow.

Mimosa97

Guys - Fido, Virgin and Koodo all have killer deals till midnight only on new plans. I just signed up for a 6gb plan with Fido for $60/month. I'll be saving a massive $40/month coming from Rogers (was on a terrible plan).

I need to eat the rest of my device subsidy cost ($160 or so), but I'll make that back in 4 months of savings, and the rest'll be gravy.

Search the web and RFD and all the other usual spots for all the details. I think Fido is only doing this till midnight tonight, but that Virgin/Koodo may have their similarly priced deals available till midnight tomorrow.

They still haven't beaten public mobile. I pay 36$/month for 4Gb data and unlimited calls + text (40$ - 4$ loyalty rewards /month)

Lexxism

If what I read is true, stay away from Virgin Mobile. I heard that they jack up the price 3-4 months after. Big no-no. If the Fido plan comes with spotify and you are a big fan of it, I'll go with Fido. Else, just go with Koodo.

NYR

After not spending a dime on Black Friday and Boxing Day, I think I am going to bite on this Octane Seating Home Theatre Seat set-up....$2999, $1000 off. I have always wanted these type of seats for my TV Room, think I am going bite, I need a new sofa anyways so it is a good time. I know it is way more expensive than a normal sofa but I have done my research and these types of top grain leather Home Theatre Seats go for way higher than sofas generally, they simply do not cost the same as a normal sofa.

212-turboblack.jpg

Amazon CS isn't what it used to be. I'm guessing they got some orders from higher up not to override prices and stack discounts anymore.

Want to complain about slow shipping or damage? They'll offer a free return, upgrade your shipping speed, or give you 20% off. That's pretty much all you can ask for nowadays. No combining orders or price protection.

Gaenor

Banned
If what I read is true, stay away from Virgin Mobile. I heard that they jack up the price 3-4 months after. Big no-no. If the Fido plan comes with spotify and you are a big fan of it, I'll go with Fido. Else, just go with Koodo.

They never jacked up the price for any of my plans (which were on offer for a limited time)

Still rocking that 40$/month - 2GB, unlimited calls - plan.

Thanks, just changed my plan for the 55$/month - 8GB, unlimited calls - one.

NYR

Amazon CS isn't what it used to be. I'm guessing they got some orders from higher up not to override prices and stack discounts anymore.

Want to complain about slow shipping or damage? They'll offer a free return, upgrade your shipping speed, or give you 20% off. That's pretty much all you can ask for nowadays. No combining orders or price protection.

RFD effect, those fuckers ruin everything. I think they got a ton of Prime members as a result of their 20% off pre order deal, it really is worth the price of admission.

Stage On

Does anyone know what the cheapest place to pick up Civilization 6 Deluxe is? Just got a brand new laptop for myself and feel like getting something that I couldn't run on my old one to celebrate

Jamaal23

Neo Member
Upcoming Deals

Amazon.CA

And this third deal goes live at 20:50 ET (or 20:20 ET with Prime). Not sure what the discounted price will be.

Dragon's Crown - PS Vita

Link to product page

Regular Price: $39.69 + tax
Sale Price: $19.84 + tax

Been wanting to get a physical copy of Dragon's Crown for my Vita, so this is a welcome sale for me. Hoping for at least ~40% off similar to Disgaea 4.

Deal went live. And it's getting claimed super fast.

No_Style

Okay, now I'll bite. Wonder why it's getting lower though?

I wonder why Xbox is cheaper.

This is a mystery I'm trying to figure out. The following titles went on sale from the standard Boxing day price to down an additional $10 off:

Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition - $29.99 -> $19.99
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - $49.99 -> $39.89
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition [X1] - $79.99 -> $69.99
And now Mafia III [X1] - $29.96 -> $19.99

I cannot think of any other reason other than they're sitting on a lot of stock for the X1 versions and, in COD's case, just a lot of stock in general.

Vamphuntr

RFD effect, those fuckers ruin everything. I think they got a ton of Prime members as a result of their 20% off pre order deal, it really is worth the price of admission.

Some people here were boasting all the time about harassing CSR to stack discounts and make them do mistakes. It was easy to guess they wouldn't keep eating losses for the sake of it.

Amazon will be really helpful now only if you have Prime. Where I live the Prime free shipping is always CP so I'm free from those weird carrier like Intelcom or their own delivery service. I just don't understand why they don't turn into a Costco or Sam's Club at this point. It's what they are slowly becoming anyway. Prime exclusive deals, Prime exclusive products, Prime video, Prime early access to deal and Prime free shipping and priority in the shipping queue.

Jamaal23

Neo Member
Just noticed Art of Splatoon dropped to $32.39 on Amazon.ca (link to product page). Was previously $52-ish, I think.

Now makes it cheaper than the $48-ish price on Chapters.ca (even when you take into account the 20% off discount using Masterpass, which makes it $38-ish).

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, the rental store near me has a couple copies of Doom on for $19.99, I'm tempted!

Do it! Easily my favorite PS4 game of the year next to The Last Guardian (yeah, I know, these games are polar opposites!)

Maximus.

Like we acted better...

First of all, you as a consumer don't deserve free shit for a company making a mistake. Second, yes it's abused and good things are ruined because people abuse the system. It's not just one website, people here talk about complaining, stacking, trying hard with multiple reps to get free shit or discounts. Nice things get ruined by selfishness and the expectation you deserve something because something doesn't live up to your expectations or went wrong. I don't get why fixing a mistake isn't good enough for some people?

It sucks because people who don't go out of their way to complain or abuse the system lose out on great service or being surprised due to a percentage of people ruining it.

First of all, you as a consumer don't deserve free shit for a company making a mistake. Second, yes it's abused and good things are ruined because people abuse the system. It's not just one website, people here talk about complaining, stacking, trying hard with multiple reps to get free shit or discounts. Nice things get ruined by selfishness and the expectation you deserve something because something doesn't live up to your expectations or went wrong. I don't get why fixing a mistake isn't good enough for some people?

It sucks because people who don't go out of their way to complain or abuse the system lose out on great service or being surprised due to a percentage of people ruining it.

I have nothing to add, just quoting to say that this is the most rational post I've seen in a while from the Canadian deals threads.

Kiro

I complain every time that my order is even one day late. As someone who pays for prime and the service includes day 1 shipping, I feel my complaints and discounts as a result are justified.

Is that wrong of me? Genuinely inquiring.

I complain every time that my order is even one day late. As someone who pays for prime and the service includes day 1 shipping, I feel my complaints and discounts as a result are justified.

Is that wrong of me? Genuinely inquiring.

If you do not get what the service you paid for is advertising, you have all the rights to complain.

And consumers are just supposed to just let Amazon (and other companies) step all over them with their shady practices? Somehow we're supposed to accept late deliveries on goods pre-ordered weeks or months ahead because "we're getting such a good deal", when they're clearly holding shipments back to entice us to subscribe to Prime? And because shipping is free, it's okay that companies contract out their deliveries to third parties who leave your expensive package out in the rain in a flimsy bubble mailer? Let's not pretend that Canadian retailers are some holy grail of cheap games you can order with one click. For a company with no B&M presence, Amazon sure likes cutting corners, but they can get away with it because competition here is a joke. At least with Best Buy you can price-match, price-protect, and return products without getting slapped with shipping.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike all the complaining and hoop-jumping to wrangle some price-adjusted shenanigans, but when a company can't even get the basic tenets of their operation right (a purchased product is delivered in a timely manner to you) they deserve the criticism.

killroy87

And consumers are just supposed to just let Amazon (and other companies) step all over them with their shady practices? Somehow we're supposed to accept late deliveries on goods pre-ordered weeks or months ahead because "we're getting such a good deal", when they're clearly holding shipments back to entice us to subscribe to Prime? And because shipping is free, it's okay that companies contract out their deliveries to third parties who leave your expensive package out in the rain in a flimsy bubble mailer? Let's not pretend that Canadian retailers are some holy grail of cheap games you can order with one click. For a company with no B&M presence, Amazon sure likes cutting corners, but they can get away with it because competition here is a joke. At least with Best Buy you can price-match, price-protect, and return products without getting slapped with shipping.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike all the complaining and hoop-jumping to wrangle some price-adjusted shenanigans, but when a company can't even get the basic tenets of their operation right (a purchased product is delivered in a timely manner to you) they deserve the criticism.

Don't shop there then

zeitgeist

Ugh, that Fido deal is super tempting but I have 2GB and never go over. I chose instead to upgrade my phone and commit another 2 years with the plan I already have.

Seems a bit strange that the best plans are now month-month instead of long(ish) term contracts.

Ugh, that Fido deal is super tempting but I have 2GB and never go over. I chose instead to upgrade my phone and commit another 2 years with the plan I already have.

Seems a bit strange that the best plans are now month-month instead of long(ish) term contracts.

That's a good thing, cell phone contracts aren't beneficial to the customer

Fularu

Banned
First of all, you as a consumer don't deserve free shit for a company making a mistake.

You're wrong.

When a company tells you "you'll get this item on release day" and you're getting it 4 days later despite paying for that service, they screwed up and you're owed compensation by them.

That's how a client - business relation works. When the trust bond is broken by the seller (since the buyer merely purchases the product and pays for it), they have to live up to it or face losing their customer's trust and, in the end, business.

Saying that it's fine that they screw up just means you're fine with beeing screwed over by corporations trampling on the services you paid for.

Now if people take free shipping and don't get it day 1 because Amazon priorises express/same day/2 day/prime shipping (since those people pay for it), there's no screwing up on Amazon's part as it's prety much established within their TOS that free shipping preorders will be shipped at a later date than release day.

killroy87

You're wrong.

When a company tells you "you'll get this item on release day" and you're getting it 4 days later despite paying for that service, they screwed up and you're owed compensation by them.

That's how a client - business relation works. When the trust bond is broken by the seller (since the buyer merely purchases the product and pays for it), they have to live up to it or face losing their customer's trust and, in the end, business.

Saying that it's fine that they screw up just means you're fine with beeing screwed over by corporations trampling on the services you paid for.

Now if people take free shipping and don't get it day 1 because Amazon priorises express/same day/2 day/prime shipping (since those people pay for it), there's no screwing up on Amazon's part as it's prety much established within their TOS that free shipping preorders will be shipped at a later date than release day.

I don't think anyone's arguing against complaining when shipping speeds your paying for aren't being met. It's more people who make a habit of complaining about minuscule things that they know deep down don't even really bother them, in hopes of getting "deals". I'm not sure who, if anyone, here does that, but I'm willing to bet there are a couple, and they just won't admit to it. Some people are just incredibly entitled. And if you find yourself complaining to a company about their service on a pretty regular basis, I maintain that you should just stop shopping there. No one will pity you if you keep going back for more when you know they don't always deliver.

Fularu

Banned
I don't think anyone's arguing against complaining when shipping speeds your paying for aren't being met. It's more people who make a habit of complaining about minuscule things that they know deep down don't even really bother them, in hopes of getting "deals". I'm not sure who, if anyone, here does that, but I'm willing to bet there are a couple, and they just won't admit to it. Some people are just incredibly entitled. And if you find yourself complaining to a company about their service on a pretty regular basis, I maintain that you should just stop shopping there. No one will pity you if you keep going back for more when you know they don't always deliver.
I for one can't order from anyone but Amazon most of the time because of BestBuy's stupid stance on non dual lamguage packaged games. Except maybe EBgames but they're so vile as a company that I would rather not get it than deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom