• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiijj

$40 DOLLARS!?!

It's a lincensed one, someone has to pay the licensing fee. If it is the same as the wii u which is highly likely, there are way cheaper ones for like ~$10 (I think I saw one from ebay for ~$1-2 plus ~$5-10 shipping). I might get those since they usually arrive like 8 weeks after you order them from china.

looking at the price it probably has no other extra features other than a turbo button mode. For indie games and fighters though I think this controller would be good enough.

I'm buying this day 1. I'm also fussy about having precise controls. $40 for a solid brand is fine by me. Will post impressions then.

iphys

Hori Pad will be a great buy for the eventual Smash. Many of the features will probably not be needed

Yeah, I'm thinking it will be good mainly as cheap extra controllers since it's wired, so only good for playing docked anyway. Still curious how good that D-pad disc thing on it is going to be as a D-pad though, as it looks relatively bulky.

C-Jo

I have a question for you folks:

I have a big box full of 360 and PS3 games I was selling on CL but has mostly been picked over. I was thinking about taking the whole thing to EB and putting it towards a PS4 Pro. I know they constantly refresh their trade-in deals, but is there something I should be waiting/looking out for?

Thanks for your help!

Damn sucks the Hori Pad isn't wireless. If it was I'd consider dropping my pro controller pre-order.

Also did they ever tell us what the battery life would be like for the pro controller?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I have a big box full of 360 and PS3 games I was selling on CL but has mostly been picked over. I was thinking about taking the whole thing to EB and putting it towards a PS4 Pro. I know they constantly refresh their trade-in deals, but is there something I should be waiting/looking out for?

Thanks for your help!

Sometimes they they trade more get more promos.

Trade 5 get $20 extra
Trade 7 get $30 extra

Like that

Hedgey

tRFOb.png

Did anyone else get this e-mail? Is this just a generic message or is my pre-order in jeopardy?

leeman

Did anyone else get this e-mail? Is this just a generic message or is my pre-order in jeopardy?

Generic email, I had the same email on my Dragon Quest VIII order, it arrived the day before it released ;)

Edit: I received this email as well, nothing to be concerned about.

tiijj

Nintendo man, let's make a controller that lasts 40 hrs, oh but the handheld lasts 6-8 at the best.

To be fair majority of the players will not use a pro controller if it's in handheld. Maybe tabletop mode, I guess you can plug that in but you need something to lift it up like a couple books or an accessory.

The wii u pro controller's like 80hrs, I guess the HD rumble, motion, and maybe the nfc reduces the battery life.

sikkinixx

How much are dual shock 4s worth at EB trade in? Scraping together a bunch of stuff towards switch junk. I know I know. I should have done it a few weeks ago.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Weren't we supposed to have batteries that would last a long ass time by now?
I remember reading some shit at least a couple of years ago that they had some new process/technology batteries that would make your average smartphone last a full month.

Weren't we supposed to have batteries that would last a long ass time by now?
I remember reading some shit at least a couple of years ago that they had some new process/technoly batteries that would make your average smartphone last a full month.

If you're thinking about graphene, that's still a long way off.

I mean...

That's longer than any mobile device for gaming- dedicated handheld or no. Longer than the DS4 too.
I'm just being overly cynical man. It's weird they always go above and beyond when it comes to the controller battery but the core device itself if battery powered is always not so much. Like at this point you can buy a 20Kmah power bank for $40-60 that's what 5x the switch battery?

Like I know why it happens it still feels poopy :/

Did you just compare a controller's battery life to a handheld?
No? I compared the capability of a company to go above and beyond in one aspect of the industry(controller life), and their seeming inability to solve this issue on their "portable" devices.

Moltenix

Thanks for your help!

Sometimes they they trade more get more promos.

Trade 5 get $20 extra
Trade 7 get $30 extra

Like that

Yeah, depending on how old the games are, "Trade More, Get More" is your best bet. Minimum value is usually $3 to be valid towards that promo. They seem to have it often so check every month when they post new trade-in deals, they've also started posting lists so you can see which games are >$3 beforehand.

diaspora

I'm just being overly cynical man. It's weird they always go above and beyond when it comes to the controller battery but the core device itself if battery powered is always not so much. Like at this point you can buy a 20Kmah power bank for $40-60 that's what 5x the switch battery?

Like I know why it happens it still feels poopy :/

No? I compared the capability of a company to go above and beyond in one aspect of the industry(controller life), and their seeming inability to solve this issue on their "portable" devices.

I have one, and it's a damn brick.

CRA5H

Do we even have official confirmation we can use our power banks without harming the Switch? I'm no electrician/voltage junkie but I'm sure the voltage will be a dependency on how well the power bank will perform.

I have one, and it's a damn brick.
I do too, I dunno what yours is but mines pretty damn sleek. Honestly if the extra cost adds $30 and not even a pound to the device? I'd be pretty okay with that trade off.

Upon looking up the specs the console itself is less than 300 grams, damn I didn't even realize they got it so light, maybe the extra weight wouldn't be so good for on the go.

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on January 27, 2017: "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Special Edition - Switch"

Does this mean I'm not getting it?

Savitar

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on January 27, 2017: "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Special Edition - Switch"

Does this mean I'm not getting it?

Nah I get those all the time, it just means they don't have the info to give you yet is all.

Always got the item and an email telling me when I would get it.

farisr

Shit, I forgot to cancel my order of Nioh. Put in a cancellation request, but probably gonna arrive at my door tomorrow.

Game is too hard (for me) to buy at full price at launch with other games sitting on the shelf waiting to be played. Would've been day 1 if I didn't have those games to play, but this is a game I need to dedicate myself towards. can't have other games tempt me to drop it. And knowing that there's a season pass/additional content on the way after it releases, I was planning on getting it when I could get both the main game plus that content at a decent overall price.

leeman

Just a reminder, if anyone still wants the 20% off Prime discount @ Amazon.ca for Tales of Berseria, Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7 or Kingdom Hearts 2.8, today is the last day to get them...

Fularu

Banned
So uh

Out of the blue my Zelda SE preorder got a further prime discount applied

It's now 103.99$ before taxes, 119.56 all in.

I wonder if that's what triggered the availability notification

Nintendo man, let's make a controller that lasts 40 hrs, oh but the handheld lasts 6-8 at the best.

There's a colossal difference between powering a controller vs. powering a gaming system (especially one which is a 720p console on the go). Never mind that battery technology is stagnant.

tiijj

Do we even have official confirmation we can use our power banks without harming the Switch? I'm no electrician/voltage junkie but I'm sure the voltage will be a dependency on how well the power bank will perform.

Yeah, it was mentioned on the switch presentation last month. You will be able to charge using a USB certified portable batteries.

leeman

So uh

Yup, mine too, not sure what they are doing over there @ Amazon but I'm ok with this :).

Zeeman

So uh

Interesting, same thing happened here. Not sure why the Prime savings are now only $8, but sure

Peterthumpa

So, crappy battery technology now is Nintendo's fault? Try to play a graphically intensive game on the latest iPhone and see if you can get more than 3 hrs of battery life (on a smaller screen, by the way).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So, crappy battery technology now is Nintendo's fault? Try to play a graphically intensive game on the latest iPhone and see if you can get more than 3 hrs of battery life (on a smaller screen, by the way).
The problem is everyone wants longer battery life but nobody wants the extra size and weight to make that possible.

Sealtest

I wonder if amazon will ever introduce a 20% savings on anything else such as books or dvds.

As far as I know no real retailer has preorder promotions so they could possibly try and start something. Would be easier on my wallet every few months or so.\

Everyone make sure you screenshot your orders. Gonna need that proof if they decide to change the order.

timnich

i just checked my BotW Special Edition order, looks like I got an additional discount as well. Amazon can't increase the price on me now, can they?
kniUESN.png

Fularu

Banned
i just checked my BotW Special Edition order, looks like I got an additional discount as well. Amazon can't increase the price on me now, can they?
kniUESN.png

You should save that just in case (and it doesn't hurt if you can also download your invoice, so that you have a backup proof)

Gitaroo

Item(s) Subtotal: CDN$ 111.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Prime Savings: -CDN$ 8.00
-----
Total before tax: CDN$ 103.99
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 5.20
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
-----
Grand Total: CDN$ 109.19

mine....

prime save only 8 bucks?!

Fularu

Banned
Item(s) Subtotal: CDN$ 111.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
Prime Savings: -CDN$ 8.00
-----
Total before tax: CDN$ 103.99
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 5.20
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 0.00
-----
Grand Total: CDN$ 109.19

mine....

prime save only 8 bucks?!

The 111.99 price already had the prime discount applied (the game was 139.99), the "only 8$" you're getting is a free promotion on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom