• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

joms5

I remember a number of pages back there was some concern over not getting prime discounts or prime shipping on pre-orders, once a prime membership expires.

I just spoke to Amazon.ca CSR that assured me that is not the case. As long as you place your order during an active Prime membership, you are guaranteed to get those benefits even after your Prime membership has expired.

Just an FYI for those who may have a membership expiring soon.

So none of the EB Games in my area are doing midnight release for Switch/Zelda. Apparently the closest one doing it is apparently Mississauga.

Shocked that they did midnight for Pokemon S/M but not for Zelda.

The list of midnight openings has seriously dwindled since the PS4/Xbox One launch. I remember there being a midnight launch for triple a title releases but you just don't see that anymore. A part of that might be digital grabbing the must have it at midnight audience.

zroid

Banned
I don't care too much about the pro controller. Maybe the eShop GC so I have something to play while I wait.

What's the list of launch games again?

EDIT - Found a list. Doesn't look like anything I would want tbh. 1-2 Switch and Zelda only interest me unless that f-zero looking game comes out that weekend.

1-2 Switch might be a nice one to have digitally in any case

There's also Snipperclips!

Fularu

Banned
Does anyone know if the Switch Pro Controller will work on a PC through USB connection?

As a xinput device? No

As a DInput device? Yeah probably

Someone will have to make a driver to have it recognized as a Xinput one though (because that's what you should want)

Shoeless

The list of midnight openings has seriously dwindled since the PS4/Xbox One launch. I remember there being a midnight launch for triple a title releases but you just don't see that anymore. A part of that might be digital grabbing the must have it at midnight audience.

Yeah, I have to admit, that worked on me. Waiting in line for a Mass Effect game in a Canadian winter, versus making a hot chocolate, then sitting down at midnight to play a game as it unlocks is much more attractive.

Ordered an item off eBay, and didn't realize until right after I hit submit that my old address was being used instead of my primary. Immediately sent an email to the seller explaining the situation and providing them with the correct address. Monday rolls around and I get an email saying that the item has been shipped; I send another message to the seller asking if they can confirm which address it was sent to. Just got this message back from them:I don't live anywhere close to that address, and I have no idea who's living there now.

Should I contact eBay via phone now, send a report when that option is available after the delivery date, or am I just SOL?

As a seller, I can tell you that I only ship to the buyer's PayPal address because that's the only way I get any seller protection.

What will probably happen is that the item will get sent to the wrong address and returned to sender at sender's cost. Unless you eat the cost of the return and the cost to re-send it to your correct address, you are SOL as the seller will not do anything for you.

veras

Starting to think trying to find a PS4 Pro in an SDM is a fool's errand, have checked like 10+ stores in the GTA and haven't seen a PS4 period, let alone a Pro

Would have been nice to use points on one

AtlasJQ

Neo Member
Bought the KU7000. Will report my experience with it later tonight.

Saw you bought it - didn't have time to reply. I have a XB1 S and a normal PS4 and both look jawdroppingly amazing in 4k/HDR. The PS4 is upscaling but it looks remarkable. The XB1 S is similar. HDR looks great on both.

How are you finding it?

jholmes

So none of the EB Games in my area are doing midnight release for Switch/Zelda. Apparently the closest one doing it is apparently Mississauga.

Shocked that they did midnight for Pokemon S/M but not for Zelda.

I don't think they did it for the Wii U either. Or the Wii, for that matter. Bought both of those at GTA EBs.

Kyolux

Saw you bought it - didn't have time to reply. I have a XB1 S and a normal PS4 and both look jawdroppingly amazing in 4k/HDR. The PS4 is upscaling but it looks remarkable. The XB1 S is similar. HDR looks great on both.

How are you finding it?

Quoting myself:

I'm really enjoying my 49" KU7000. The lost of tv size is apparent (coming from 55"), but I like the quieter space it takes in my living room.

HDR+ is nice and has me really curious for the real thing. But I can live with this very well at the price I paid.

Watched the 4k HDR youtube Horizon trailer on it and wow.. this is going to kill my eyes with awesome.

After some tweaking, FFXV looked great too. Had no idea what I was doing though, so it's probably not set to optimal settings, but I put stuff where I liked it.

If you have any tips for me regarding settings, feel free to PM me.

Also, one thing that annoyed me was that it insisted that I add a cable service to my HDMI 1. Put a random one, but it's my PS4 connected there.

Also, is there a place for firmware updates or things like that? Are there firmware updates for TV? (This is my first smart tv).

CRA5H

Midnight launches are dependent on preorder numbers. Since there was a capped amount per store, that negated the possibility of a midnight launch.

I don't think they did it for the Wii U either. Or the Wii, for that matter. Bought both of those at GTA EBs.

One time one of the eb employees told me that, at least at the time he told me, it was a 100 copy threshold copies of the game preordered at the location before they talked about doing a midnight launch.

marcod

Any news on Amazon release day shipping? I keep getting told by CS that it's happening but I'm seeing no shipping change. Also, does anyone have an estimate for BOTW collector's edition yet? Cutting it kind of close...

Any news on Amazon release day shipping? I keep getting told by CS that it's happening but I'm seeing no shipping change. Also, does anyone have an estimate for BOTW collector's edition yet? Cutting it kind of close...

You're not getting anything switch/zelda-related on day 1.

Kyolux

this thread is going to be horrendous for Amazon shipping around the Switch, eugh

How many times do people have to be told?

I wonder if BB will put aside mailing wii u zelda copies for switch and zelda switch orders.

I'll have the 3rd off.. so I'll probably just walk in a store in the afternoon (after the in-store switch pickups are through) to pick up an extra zelda copy if it doesn't look like it'll make it for the week-end.

nschizo

this thread is going to be horrendous for Amazon shipping around the Switch, eugh

How many times do people have to be told?

First time I preorder something on amazon (just move to canada a couple of month ago). But yeah I lost my hope to receive my order on march 3rd. (Apart of preorder when I order something, amazon delivery is pretty fast enough)

ElNino

Depends where he lives. I'm in downtown Toronto and I get virtually anything I order from amazon day 1. Others aren't so close to the shipping centres though.
This, I'm in Durham and I get most things day one (or two). Everything ships in one day at least, but it depends on how long it takes to be processed.

jokkir

I'm thinking I should deliver Zelda to my office (downtown Toronto) instead of my house (Scarborough) to up my chances getting it day 1. That's how it works, right?

Luigi87

Amazon and Prime.
You save some money for the price of time.
Don't expect to get your games day one
But when you do get your games you'll have some fun.
Nintendo likes to release on Fridays
So instead of release date expect some delays.

ElNino

I'm thinking I should deliver Zelda to my office (downtown Toronto) instead of my house (Scarborough) to up my chances getting it day 1. That's how it works, right?
I don't think it would really make a difference, each is one day shipping anyways.

I guess you could get (un)lucky with one of them being processed earlier than the other, but once they ship they would take the same time roughly.

kevin1025

Banned
Amazon and Prime.

I approve of this poem.

Kyolux

Amazon and Prime.

I kept trying to match it to Spider-man's theme song. Didn't really work. :(

protonium

Amazon and Prime.

I kept trying to match it to Spider-man's theme song. Didn't really work. :(

Amazon, and-a Prime,
You save some money, for the price of time.
Don't expect, to get your games,
On day one but when you do,
GET YOUR,
Games you'll have some fun.

I haven't heard it in a while but that kinda works? lol

Dazzler

Amazon and Prime.

Now this is a shipping post I can get on board with

antibolo

Banned

If it's Intelcom you may end up with a moron who doesn't understand how to deliver to a business address tho

jokkir

If it's Intelcom you may end up with a moron who doesn't understand how to deliver to a business address tho

Hmmm, I could always just do the drop off location at the Shoppers near my office.

EDIT - I can't even update the address to the pick up location. Welp, I'll try my office.

SickBoy

That exhange rate is killing me. I saw the thread for the PSN sale and thought maybe now would be the time to trade Overwatch and buy it digital... of course, $50-something US is $66 on PSN.

I guess on the plus side, I don't have to go to Best Buy and then try to figure out they allow people to buy prepaid PSN cards with gift cards :)

Tapejara

That exhange rate is killing me. I saw the thread for the PSN sale and thought maybe now would be the time to trade Overwatch and buy it digital... of course, $50-something US is $66 on PSN.

I guess on the plus side, I don't have to go to Best Buy and then try to figure out they allow people to buy prepaid PSN cards with gift cards :)

The worst for me in buying something in USD using PayPal, because PayPal always undervalues the current exchange rate. Exchange rate at 0.76? Well prepare to pay for something at a rate of 0.73 instead!

antibolo

Banned
The worst for me in buying something in USD using PayPal, because PayPal always undervalues the current exchange rate. Exchange rate at 0.76? Well prepare to pay for something at a rate of 0.73 instead!

You can configure PayPal to charge your credit card in foreign currencies directly, and then use a credit card that doesn't charge exchange fees (like the Amazon rewards Visa card).

Visa's exchange rates still kinda suck though.

FN-2187

I don't think they are "undervaluing" the exchange rate. It's an added charge for the transaction. It's the exact same thing banks and credit card companies do. They always add 2 or 3% whenever a foreign fund exchange is involved.

Firestorm

You can configure PayPal to charge your credit card in foreign currencies directly, and then use a credit card that doesn't charge exchange fees (like the Amazon rewards Visa card).

It's not too awful tbh. I checked and they exchange at about the rate of my credit union (Vancity).

Tapejara

Didn't know this. I'll have to dig into my PayPal settings.

I don't think they are "undervaluing" the exchange rate. It's an added charge for the transaction. It's the exact same thing banks and credit card companies do. They always add 2 or 3% whenever a foreign fund exchange is involved.

Thanks for the correction! Still sucks though :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom