• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god you guysss. So the Surface Book 128 GB i5 processor model is on sale for $1700

Is that... good? Is it the first gen model or second? Seems like the best alternative to a Macbook Pro....

Looks like 1st gen? No discrete GPU. They seem to market the latest gen as having the "performance base" which means the dGPU, but it's obviously more expensive.

Dunlop

I'm not usually one for buying added warranties on stuff, but I'm curious whether anyone has bought the Playstation Protection Plan (in general, or more specifically, for your Pro)?

I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure whether it's worth the money (but $50 for some peace of mind isn't so bad).... and I also can't seem to find a link to terms that seem to actually address Canadian consumers... unless Canadians are covered under the same terms as the U.S. plan.

Anyone have any thoughts?

There is no clear answer as to whether it covers the pro.

Some called Sony and were told yes, others told no

Wishful thinking, but I'd really like Amazon or (Future Shop) Best Buy to turn around and ship FFXV sometime tonight. Long shot, but it has happened before. Would be great to have it for the week-end.

According to amazon I should be getting Kingdom Hearts 3 on the same day so we'll see.

Looks like 1st gen? No discrete GPU. They seem to market the latest gen as having the "performance base" which means the dGPU, but it's obviously more expensive.

How important is that for someone who mostly web browses, watches a lot of vids/movies, and has a lot of tabs open sometimes?

How important is that for someone who mostly web browses, watches a lot of vids/movies, and has a lot of tabs open sometimes?

Not important at all, you only want the discrete GPU for games or really heavy app software uses (Photoshop acceleration, 3D modelling, etc) Web/Video runs happily off the Intel integrated GPU.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Since Dishonored 2 will be $50 starting tomorrow at EB, I wonder if I can do the Trade 2 Get $50 on New Released promo towards it.

It should work since the promo is valid until 2 weeks after release and it will have been exactly 2 weeks tomorrow.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
No sale on Kirby Planet Robobot sucks. Its been out for almost 6 months and hasnt gone on sale once.

WTF Nintendo

I'm not usually one for buying added warranties on stuff, but I'm curious whether anyone has bought the Playstation Protection Plan (in general, or more specifically, for your Pro)?

I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure whether it's worth the money (but $50 for some peace of mind isn't so bad).... and I also can't seem to find a link to terms that seem to actually address Canadian consumers... unless Canadians are covered under the same terms as the U.S. plan.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I never go for those warranties, but I've usually lucked out and gotten great service through connections.

Not for PlayStation, though.

We ordered an iPad from The Source for my sibling, and got a heavy duty Otterbox for it, but didn't get the protection plan because it was half the fucking thing's price (I think it was $130-140!) They have special needs so we had to get the case at least.

The warranties are usually overpriced.

I remember when I got an iPod 4th gen 20gb for Christmas one year. My Mom let me go with her to Future Shop to buy it, and the guy talked us into the warranty. The thing ended up freezing, so we tried returning it for a new one, just to be told that "Apple now wants first crack at all defects, so you need to ship it to them." We raised hell.

kswiston

Not gaming related, but I don't want to make a new thread:

It is looking increasingly likely that my wife and I will have to move to Edmonton next spring (currently in Ontario). Anyone know how the rental market is there? We'd probably be renting an house or duplex for at least a year or two while we decide if the move is permanent. What general cost of living changes should we expect from Ontario for those of you who have done both? I have lived in several areas of Ontario (GTA, London, Windsor) if that helps.

What general cost of living changes should we expect from Ontario for those of you who have done both? I have lived in several areas of Ontario (GTA, London, Windsor) if that helps.

Haven't lived there in forever so a local could speak more, but

Sales Tax: 7% instead of 13%
Income Tax: There's more tiers. You pay more on the first 80 grand than Ontario, but less thereafter.
Weather: You're gonna lose on this one, no question
Rent is obviously going to be lower than GTA but dunno about Windsor or London, Ont

A bit of google-fu suggests Edmonton is 5% more expensive on average, but that's weighing in things like clothes and food that can be highly subjective.

DJ_Lae

It is looking increasingly likely that my wife and I will have to move to Edmonton next spring (currently in Ontario). Anyone know how the rental market is there? We'd probably be renting an house or duplex for at least a year or two while we decide if the move is permanent. What general cost of living changes should we expect from Ontario for those of you who have done both? I have lived in several areas of Ontario (GTA, London, Windsor) if that helps.

I'm here at the moment - moved a couple of years back from Victoria because the cost of living there was nuts (and the job market garbage...though joke's on me now!).

Rental prices are down a little bit, I believe, although I haven't looked too recently. I know that there are way more rentals available at the moment, just in terms of what I pass by.

Less sales tax is nice. Utilities are higher than BC (don't know about Ontario) though there are so many companies out there it's a bit annoying trying to nail down where to buy your gas/electricity from. Meat will be more expensive than Ontario, but I haven't found food to be as expensive as others make it out to be.

Weather sucks but that's to be expected. Everything outside of the river valley is kind of ugly. People are terrible drivers.

Seems like overspending much.

It's between this or a Macbook. I want to buy for longevity. I find that my current 2010 Macbook has lasted 6 years while still running solidly. I think it's a worthy investment.

Not important at all, you only want the discrete GPU for games or really heavy app software uses (Photoshop acceleration, 3D modelling, etc) Web/Video runs happily off the Intel integrated GPU.

Awesome. Do you know anything about the build quality compared to Macbook? Build quality and battery is why I love the Mac

Cynar

I never go for those warranties, but I've usually lucked out and gotten great service through connections.

Not for PlayStation, though.

We ordered an iPad from The Source for my sibling, and got a heavy duty Otterbox for it, but didn't get the protection plan because it was half the fucking thing's price (I think it was $130-140!) They have special needs so we had to get the case at least.

The warranties are usually overpriced.

I remember when I got an iPod 4th gen 20gb for Christmas one year. My Mom let me go with her to Future Shop to buy it, and the guy talked us into the warranty. The thing ended up freezing, so we tried returning it for a new one, just to be told that "Apple now wants first crack at all defects, so you need to ship it to them." We raised hell.
futureshop and best buy just extend manufacturer warranties and aren't worth it. Any Apple product just buy Apple Care and nothing else. Warranties are pretty good buys potentially but I would never get one from best buy or futureshop(rip) or even ebgames.

Bronetta

Guys, i dont know what to do.

I want to get Doom and Overwatch. Digital or physical ?

Digital on Overwatch since you'll be playing it for the rest of your life

It's between this or a Macbook. I want to buy for longevity. I find that my current 2010 Macbook has lasted 6 years while still running solidly. I think it's a worthy investment.

Awesome. Do you know anything about the build quality compared to Macbook? Build quality and battery is why I love the Mac

It's good, probably still a step down from Apple, various quirks, and tablet mode has drawbacks. It's running Windows so long term investment is a definite question. And you're either going to love or hate how it folds. But it's still the most prestigious outside of Apple's products, at least until you get into the uber-expensive/poorly supported Razer line.

Really have to recommend you try one in a store if you can.

Haines

Banned
Any must grab deals?

I see episode of batman is free.

Tales of borderlands is peanuts.

Anything I'm missing?

Does that ebay20% code for psn on work in that states?

Not from Ontario, but moved to Edmonton from Halifax. Rent ranges in the $1200-$1800 range, depending on area and space. There are some really nice places in the north end for decent prices. South is more expensive. Food, etc. Seems similarly priced to east coast.

Robert807

I remember when I bought an warranty for my Xbox 360 the day the Xbox was released. I think I paid almost 100 $ for 3 years. I think anyway. This was at future shop. Anyway Xbox breaks almost a year later. Red light issue.mi go to futureshop with warranty recipe in hand expecting for the them to take my broken Xbox back and to give me a new one. You would figure that would happen. Nope they wouldn't do. They said I had to go threw Microsoft first. If Microsoft takes more than 3 months to fix it , futureshop will than replace my Xbox . Oh boy did I make a scene. Manager came over and still wouldn't give me a new Xbox. He gave me my warranty money I paid back. He thought he was doing me a favour , he wasn't I wanted my Xbox fixed. All I got was my warranty money back. Fuck extended warranty from bestbuy. I never buy em. My iPads , laptops , tvs and videogame systems never break down. I find them a total waste of money.

Riptwo

I can't recommend the MacBook over a Surface Pro enough. The Surface Pro is a fantastic piece of hardware that feels totally unsupported by its OS. Unless you're okay with sleep issues, wake issues, battery issues, bluetooth issues and a terrible tablet mode, don't bother with the SP line at this point in time. It's shocking to me that a flagship Microsoft product can suffer from so many basic driver and hardware issues in Microsoft's own OS.

SickBoy

futureshop and best buy just extend manufacturer warranties and aren't worth it. Any Apple product just buy Apple Care and nothing else. Warranties are pretty good buys potentially but I would never get one from best buy or futureshop(rip) or even ebgames.

If I understood the pitch correctly, the EB warranty offered on the pro was $60 and ran concurrently with the first year warranty from Sony.. so basically its only benefit was "if your machine dies, we can swap it for you." Um, huh?

The main reason I'm considering the Playstation warranty is it's really a $50 commitment against a $500 device.

I thought I might be able to pair it with the 10% discount, but if there's some confusion over what's on the PS Store right now actually applies to the Pro, I can wait.

I can't recommend the MacBook over a Surface Pro enough. The Surface Pro is a fantastic piece of hardware that feels totally unsupported by its OS. Unless you're okay with sleep issues, wake issues, battery issues, bluetooth issues and a terrible tablet mode, don't bother with the SP line at this point in time. It's shocking to me that a flagship Microsoft product can suffer from so many basic driver and hardware issues in Microsoft's own OS.

Yeah Macbook seems most reliable... I can get $120 off due to my job.

So Im thinking Ill just splurge and spend a total of around $1800 for the 256 GB model after all. I wonder if the black friday sale, if any, will stack.

i-Jest

Games I will buy....

PSN Black Friday Sale:

I am Setsuna

PSN Flash Sale:

God Eater 2 PS4
God Eater 2 Vita

Eshop Sale:

Jotun
Fast Racing Neo

Maximus.

PSN Flash Sale is a joke (unless you're digital only).

I think I got everything in the video game realm online before Friday (gears of war 4, external hdd for xbox one, BF1 and CoD Legacy [deciding which of the two I want to keep]).

Qwyjibo

Anyone here want Gears of War 1, 2, 3, or Judgement digital codes for 360/Xbone?

I finally got mine after buying GOW4 but no longer need them (used a friend's codes).

First come, first serve.

EDIT: And we have a winner! All gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom