• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeman

Did you not receive a shipping email?

I ordered some stuff yesterday morning and I'm not actually sure whether or not it shipped. I don't know if they are sending out shipping emails right now and I can't check my order details.

No email. The website yesterday said it was shipping and I would receive it today, but now I can't check.

Is this a decent price for this prebuilt PC?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102241

I7 6700k, GTx 1070 8gb and 32gb of ram for 1699.

PC part picker doesn't get me any cheaper

TBH it's not a bad deal, assuming that is actually a Strix 1070.

I would probably still buy/build it myself, since you can choose a better PSU, better cooler, better/more feature-filled motherboard, preference in case etc., for roughly the same price. Doesn't say what ram it is, so it's probably DDR4-2133, in which case you could go for faster ram (3000 or 3200). 32GB is overkill, I'd stick with 2x8 anyway.

Also dunno what the ssd/hdd are, probably not your first choice if you were to build it yourself.

tl;dr - better than I would expect for the price, but I would personally still build myself to improve on specific choices made in the build.

Just a head's up, Dishonored 2 is $50 pretty much everywhere right now, but it looks like Best Buy is the Limited edition that comes with the first game while others are just the standard version. Oh, last post of the page, hopefully people are reading the previous pages.

we are!

Argh. Im so close. I need more advice:

OK, so we're getting 2 iphones + a macbook

Total is $4000

But Im thinking of downgrading the macbook to 128 GB Storage for $3737 total

I can THEN buy a 128 GB USB to for $40 and store all my media on it (mostly pics and vids worth 50 GB).

Isn't this a MUCH better option than spending the extra $240 on a 256 GB Mac HDD?

Or will I regret it?

My current macbook has been used for 5 years. Never had a space problem with the 250 GB HDD, but I was running close. I cleaned my Mac down to 100 GB, and can move 50 GB of media to an HDD.

So, Im realistically using like 60-70 GB of HDD...shouldn't I be fine with a 128 GB model? All I really do is browse the web and watch movies..... Should I just save the money and use a USB or just spend the extra $240?

kevin1025

Banned
Argh. Im so close. I need more advice:

OK, so we're getting 2 iphones + a macbook

Total is $4000

But Im thinking of downgrading the macbook to 128 GB Storage for $3737 total

I can THEN buy a 128 GB USB to for $40 and store all my media on it (mostly pics and vids worth 50 GB).

Isn't this a MUCH better option than spending the extra $240 on a 256 GB Mac HDD?

Or will I regret it?

My current macbook has been used for 5 years. Never had a space problem with the 256 GB HDD, but I was running close. I cleaned my Mac down to 100 GB, and can move 50 GB to an HDD.

So, Im realistically using like 60-70 GB of HDD.... Should I just save the money and use a USB or just spend the extra $240?

For me personally, the downgrade sounds well worth it. It depends on how portable you get in terms of travel or using the laptop out of the house. But the USB option sounds like the better deal.

Reserve in Store seems to be turned back on at Best Buy.

Trying to reserve a Dishonored 2.

Edit: And now it's off again.

Edit 2: They sent me an email saying they actually reserved it. lol. I think it was a site glitch.

For me personally, the downgrade sounds well worth it. It depends on how portable you get in terms of travel or using the laptop out of the house. But the USB option sounds like the better deal.

Honestly, Id only really use it at home. Dont have music on it (dont need it, have a phone/streaming). Major things are pics and vids from vacations, which I think Im better off storing on a 500 GB HDD or a 128 GB Flash Drive.

I think I can make the 128 GB model work. At best, I have a game like Hearthstone on my Macbook...

I just constantly hear that people regret the 128 GB model, but I assume they just have more need for storage than I do.

Rbk_3

TBH it's not a bad deal, assuming that is actually a Strix 1070.

I would probably still buy/build it myself, since you can choose a better PSU, better cooler, better/more feature-filled motherboard, preference in case etc., for roughly the same price. Doesn't say what ram it is, so it's probably DDR4-2133, in which case you could go for faster ram (3000 or 3200). 32GB is overkill, I'd stick with 2x8 anyway.

Also dunno what the ssd/hdd are, probably not your first choice if you were to build it yourself.

tl;dr - better than I would expect for the price, but I would personally still build myself to improve on specific choices made in the build.

Keep in mind I have never owned a gaming PC and would have no idea what I am doing.

Mupod

If you desperately don't want to put your own PC together I can recommend NCIX. If you put enough stuff in your cart to actually make a working PC they'll put it together and test it for 50 bucks (they wont put on big aftermarket coolers if it has to be shipped). Obviously it's been quite a few years since I've seen their work but when I did it in like 2008 their cable management was impeccable and they even ran 3Dmark for me.

Their black friday sale right now was good enough that I just caved in and put together a PC myself...seems like some of the better deals are already out of stock but they'll price match newegg.

But yeah, I'd be wary of prebuilt PSUs, never skimp on those. I almost ignored my own advice with this build as I have a functioning (but almost 6 years old) 850w, but I came to my senses and went with the evga supernova P2 instead. 10 year warranty is honestly insane and will be worth it when I do my next build.

If you desperately don't want to put your own PC together I can recommend NCIX. If you put enough stuff in your cart to actually make a working PC they'll put it together and test it for 50 bucks (they wont put on big aftermarket coolers if it has to be shipped). Obviously it's been quite a few years since I've seen their work but when I did it in like 2008 their cable management was impeccable and they even ran 3Dmark for me.

Their black friday sale right now was good enough that I just caved in and put together a PC myself...seems like some of the better deals are already out of stock though.

But yeah, I'd be wary of prebuilt PSUs, never skimp on those. I almost ignored my own advice with this build as I have a functioning (but almost 6 years old) 850w, but I came to my senses and went with the evga supernova P2 instead. 10 year warranty is honestly insane and will be worth it when I do my next build.

They will also pack video cards separately but those are easy to attach.

I think I'm going to end up with two black New 3DSs. If you can't find one (though I think it won't be that hard to do) and would like to buy one off me at cost before I return one, just let me know.

Keep in mind I have never owned a gaming PC and would have no idea what I am doing.

One nice thing is that if you choose the parts from NCIX and pay them $50 (I think) they will build it for you, probably with a 1 year warranty too on the build.

I would suggest you post the same thing you wrote in the Need a New PC thread to get some additional feedback.

Thought I'd ask here since people may have bought it recently - if you have Rise of the Tomb Raider can you tell me if Japanese audio is available as an option?

Also, anyone have any opinions on this Brother printer?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MFG57ZK/
The L2540DW.

I've had it for a few months now, best printer I ever owned!
Very reliable, quality is really good, unless you need colour printing, this the printer I'd recommend!
It also has a thick history of positive reviews, so I'm expecting it to last for a while!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've had it for a few months now, best printer I ever owned!
Very reliable, quality is really good, unless you need colour printing, this the printer I'd recommend!
It also has a thick history of positive reviews, so I'm expecting it to last for a while!
Cool. I've been looking to just go laser and the ink jet scam behind for good.

Popstar

Is the Uncharted 4 bundle the only PS4 pack-in deal? I'm not really interested in Uncharted and would prefer something like Last of Us Remastered.

Rbk_3

I think I'm going to end up with two black New 3DSs. If you can't find one (though I think it won't be that hard to do) and would like to buy one off me at cost before I return one, just let me know.

One nice thing is that if you choose the parts from NCIX and pay them $50 (I think) they will build it for you, probably with a 1 year warranty too on the build.

I would suggest you post the same thing you wrote in the Need a New PC thread to get some additional feedback.

Thanks, I will do that.

Seik

Banned
Aaaaaand OLED bought.

Holy shit, I had a moment of hesitation before pulling the trigger when I reached the counter. That's a lot of money. D:

Windam

Scaley member
Anyone here order FF15 Deluxe Edition from Amazon with Prime two day shipping? Mine is supposed to ship today but there's no update on whether or not it's being prepared for shipment right now. It's been saying "Will ship Nov 25" since the delay (ordered back when preorders first went up).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Anyone here order FF15 Deluxe Edition from Amazon with Prime two day shipping? Mine is supposed to ship today but there's no update on whether or not it's being prepared for shipment right now. It's been saying "Will ship Nov 25" since the delay (ordered back when preorders first went up).

Theyll probably ship it out at night.

r3n4ud

I'm in the same boat

Aske

Aaaaaand OLED bought.

Holy shit, I had a moment of hesitation before pulling the trigger when I reached the counter. That's a lot of money. D:

Congrats! Yeah, even if you've budgeted for it it kind of stings, doesn't it? Can't believe how much money I spent this Black Friday.

Jayhawk

If anybody is in the market for a gaming mechanical keyboard or mouse, NCIX has fnatic gear on sale for 50-60% off. If you sign up for their mobile application, you also get $40 worth of their points for future use.

Finally was able to go out once my wife got home and could stay with the baby.

Everything I wanted was sold out. Including games.

Fuck Black Friday. I've got tons of cash to spend as an adult with expendable cash but can't because you gotta be here when they open. Fuck this.

Mupod

If anybody is in the market for a gaming mechanical keyboard or mouse, NCIX has fnatic gear on sale for 50-60% off. If you sign up for their mobile application, you also get $40 worth of their points for future use.

my almost 9-year-old G15 is getting...gross. I'll miss the LCD screen but I'll be in an NCIX store for a pickup shortly and I might be on the lookout for a mechanical.

farisr

And... success! Price adjustment done for the Vizio P50-C1 I bought at the end of October.

$1000 (+tax) is a great deal for this set. I don't have an issue with 45ms lag (plus I always have the option for a non HDR 19ms lag input as well).

I chose this over the KS8000 before even though I was able to get them near the same price, due to the great black levels & dolby vision support, but it's even more worth it now that I ended up getting it for $1000. Perfect.

(Also, the agent may have applied an extra $100 on the price adjustment the way it sounded on the phone, so it may actually come out to $900 actually, but I'm just going to assume they did it correctly and said the adjustment wrong on the phone)

Dazzler

strolled around downtown Vancouver on lunch, lineups to get into some stores, lots of crowds. As someone made anxious by crowds, I had to get out

Quick

Banned
Thanks.

I just bought this HDD for my PS4: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FRHTTJE/

Since Ill have to open up the casing, will it be possible to reuse the casing? Id like to put my 500 GB HDD in it and have an external HDD for use.

Or will it be ruined?

I bought the same one a few months ago, I'm reusing the case, but I tore up the foil pretty bad and the case is a bit dented. I'd say just be as gentle as possible and it should be fine.

Edit: Head's up, the drive makes a sound every once in a while, sort of a long beep. It doesn't affect anything when you're using the PS4. Just a minor annoyance. Not sure if the same issue exists on the PS4 Pro - I'm debating on putting the 2TB drive on it.

strolled around downtown Vancouver on lunch, lineups to get into some stores, lots of crowds. As someone made anxious by crowds, I had to get out

was this your face when you saw the crowds?

image.php

kevin1025

Banned
For those that bought Recore off the US Microsoft Store, do you just make up a random US address and checkout with Paypal? Do we get charged for the random addresses' taxes?

I'm curious what the $15 comes out as on our end.

DJ_Lae

I've got a really shitty cold with sinus migraine so my outing for the day consisted of London Drugs for fisherman's friends and I bought two packs of coffee that were on sale for black Friday. Whee!

I also got Doom, but man I did not expect that download size. I guess it's a good test of Telus' internet if nothing else.

QyMN5Qd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom