• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

kanugo

I'm hoping on some information about the european CE before launch day, if not, let's pray the american version is region-free.

DSmalls84

So the demo is confirmed for US PSN as well? I pretty much like all of the 2d games on ds and psp, but this looks like a cool new direction for the series.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/lords_of_shadow/review.html

Has this one been posted?

It's not all hacking and slashing, with a fair amount of puzzles, mounts (the less said about the frankly creepy giant spiders the better) and platforming, each able to match the quality seen throughout the title. Puzzles arrive in a decent variety of styles, but generally require you to move items into a certain position, or to trigger switches in the right order. Scrolls on nearby bodies reveal clues and, if you really can't work out the solution, offer you the solution if you forfeit your reward. The platforming, which feels like a slightly heavier version of Prince of Persia, sees Gabriel leaping about on platforms and ledges, while his whip allows him to abseil up and down walls.

Calling CLOS a surprise hit might be a little unfair, as the game looked impressive throughout development, but it's fair to say that I simply didn't expect to enjoy it this much. With a combat system that cleverly overcomes button mashing, wonderful design work and a story that spans far longer than your average video game, Lords of Shadow is exactly what the Castlevania franchise needed to find popularity with a new generation of gamers - and us oldies too.

9/10

hey_it's_that_dog said:
FreedomFrisbee is wrong yet thinks he's so right. This cannot stand.
sorry
You're going to make me quote the xkcd "somebody's wrong on the internet" comic, aren't you? :p
Y2Kev said:
Game is reviewing really well. :bow Kojima :bow
:lol I think I see what you did there.
hey_it's_that_dog said:
If you wish to express your sentiments by posting a tired ass meme, I cannot stop you. :p
It's meme town!
hey_it's_that_dog said:
On topic: I really wanna play that demo to see how the game feels, but not really for any other reason because I've seen so much footage of it that I'm already bored of it. I should have exercised restraint.
Yeah, same here. I've been on a media blackout for a while (no videos, no screenshots), so I don't really know what the demo is like, but I'm thinking of skipping it as well and just get the game day one.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
FunkyPajamas said:
You're going to make me quote the xkcd "somebody's wrong on the internet" comic, aren't you? :p

If you wish to express your sentiments by posting a tired ass meme, I cannot stop you. :p

On topic: I really wanna play that demo to see how the game feels, but not really for any other reason because I've seen so much footage of it that I'm already bored of it. I should have exercised restraint.

Johnas

I want to preorder this today, but I can't make up my mind between the regular edition (PS3) and the limited.

The limited has the artbook, a partial game soundtrack, and the extra packaging, is that everything?

Johnas

brandonh83 said:
Get the limited. Superior packaging ftw!

Looking at your OP, am I looking at it right in that it's essentially the same piece of artwork as the regular but with different coloring and a few minor tweaks? Seems odd that they would do it that way instead of using a completely different piece of artwork.

grkazan12

About to pre-order this bad soon enough was wondering if anyone knows if the LE box art is just a slip on that goes over the SE box art or if it's the actual box art?

Johnas said:
Looking at your OP, am I looking at it right in that it's essentially the same piece of artwork as the regular but with different coloring and a few minor tweaks? Seems odd that they would do it that way instead of using a completely different piece of artwork.

It's the same image but the LE is hand-drawn art which looks vastly superior.

Johnas

brandonh83 said:
It's the same image but the LE is hand-drawn art which looks vastly superior.

Oh cool, I didn't catch that.

I guess I'll go ahead and get the LE. It's an LE done right (no trinkets) and looks to be the first really good 3D vania, so hey.

JohngPR

brandonh83 said:
Get the limited. Superior packaging ftw!

I usually agree, but I don't think it's substantial enough for me to pull the trigger on the LE.

I have a feeling that the packaging is just a slip case. It certainly looks like it could be based on the pictures.

JohngPR said:
I usually agree, but I don't think it's substantial enough for me to pull the trigger on the LE.

I have a feeling that the packaging is just a slip case. It certainly looks like it could be based on the pictures.
If you preorder the LE in Amazon you get a USD20 bonus that you can use later, so you'd be effectively paying USD60 for the game (same as the regular edition).

The regular edition also has the preorder bonus, though :lol

JohngPR

FunkyPajamas said:
If you preorder the LE in Amazon you get a USD20 bonus that you can use later, so you'd be effectively paying USD60 for the game (same as the regular edition).

The regular edition also has the preorder bonus, though :lol

That's what makes the decision so hard! :p

JohngPR said:
That's what makes the decision so hard! :p
Unless you're a collector I think you're better off with the regular edition. I have several limited edition for different games and I've only watched the making of (or read the artbooks) about once, if at all. If it had a figurine or a nice poster you could frame and hang on a wall or something, it'd be a no-brainer for me. My two cents :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have to admit, the more I read and see on this game, the more excited I become.

While I would never have expected, this and Enslaved have me extremely excited. I love these types of character action games and they both seem unique and inspired.

This game in particular seems like it will be a real surprise. I honestly didn't think it would turn out all that great, but in the end, it seems much better than even the best case scenario predictions.

Anyone here spend anytime with the full game yet? The final point of concern for me lies in the loading screens. They are pretty quick in the demo, but I'm still afraid that the size of the areas you explore may be limited and each small scene divided by a loading screen. I hope that's not the case and they actually have large areas to explore. Loading screens can absolutely kill even good level design.

dark10x said:
Anyone here spend anytime with the full game yet? The final point of concern for me lies in the loading screens. They are pretty quick in the demo, but I'm still afraid that the size of the areas you explore may be limited and each small scene divided by a loading screen. I hope that's not the case and they actually have large areas to explore. Loading screens can absolutely kill even good level design.

I'm very interested in this myself.

About to add new avatars to the OP if anyone cares.

burgerdog

dark10x said:

This is what has me pushing toward the 360 version, if the game is going to be a loading-screen-fest I want to have the game installed and cut them short as much as possible.

edit
fixed

dark10x said:
I have to admit, the more I read and see on this game, the more excited I become.

While I would never have expected, this and Enslaved have me extremely excited. I love these types of character action games and they both seem unique and inspired.

Right there with you on this Dark. Though I was always excited for Castlevania. Been a LONG time fan favorite of mine, all this talk just seems to solidfy my thoughts back when it was first announced. Though Enslaved caught me really off guard.

JohngPR

FunkyPajamas said:
Unless you're a collector I think you're better off with the regular edition. I have several limited edition for different games and I've only watched the making of (or read the artbooks) about once, if at all. If it had a figurine or a nice poster you could frame and hang on a wall or something, it'd be a no-brainer for me. My two cents :)

I agree. For a LE, it's about as bare bones as you can get away with. Once I decide what version of the game I'm getting, I'll be preordering the regular edition.

DSmalls84

To bad there is no Move support for this game. The idea of using the Move controller as a whip sounds like it could be pretty fun.

LowParry

I think I may roll with the PS3 version though I need to get me the LE. I'll wait for comparisons later this week then roll with what's best.

DSmalls84

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, that would rock in a 20 hour game.

Lol after playing Gladiators in Sports Champions, I can agree that it would be tiring and tedious. Still think it would be a fun feature to goof around with.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DtLiO.jpg

Nabbing this one, thanks!

Pimpbaa

FunkyPajamas said:
I'm going with the PS3 version as well; from what I've read it's the ideal version for me, since I don't have a 360.

Why did you have to read that it was the ideal version for when you don't even have a choice? :lol

Canova

Banned
damn looking at all the hype, looks like we got new king in the action genre. who the hell needs that Capcom franchise

Top Bottom