• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

CaptYamato said:
Wait, there's DLC? Any info as to what it is?

No, but wouldn't it be cool if the DLC content featured more Castlevania-like things? Maybe new areas with remixed music or something. Like I've said, so far I think the game is doing a good job of being what Castlevania would have been if it came out this gen, but still, the fanboy inside would be delighted at even more elements showing up in DLC and in sequels.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Burgerdog,

Do you know how big the install is for the 2nd disc of the 360 version?

I only have 3-4 gigs and don't know if I'll have enough room to install.

Spike

Anony said:
question about the 360 verison

the 2 discs is the entire game right (not some documentary/interview etc)
if you install it on the harddrive, how does installing the 2nd disc work

Installs the same as any other disc. Put it in the tray, press Y, and select install.

Nemesis_

Guts Of Thor said:
Burgerdog,

Do you know how big the install is for the 2nd disc of the 360 version?

I only have 3-4 gigs and don't know if I'll have enough room to install.

I doubt it.

Nemesis_

Guts Of Thor said:
Really? Fuck! Guess I'll sell the 360 version on craigslist and then grab the PS3 version.

I am assuming the second disc is 8.5GB. I could be wrong.

If not it'd be 4.8GB, wouldn't it?

burgerdog

Nemesis556 said:
I am assuming the second disc is 8.5GB. I could be wrong.

If not it'd be 4.8GB, wouldn't it?
6.8gb is the most a 360 DVD can hold. One CV disc has to hold that much data for sure. Not sure how big the second one is.

anddo0 said:
Saw you playing this yesterday.. how the hell do you always get these games so early?

I'm an action/adventure gamer myself. So, I'm officially jumping off the fence and picking this one up. I've played my share of flawed games (Nier) and still enjoyed the much more than other so called AAA titles. Castlevania seems right up my ally.

I live in Jersey City, NJ, and work in NY, and they have several mom and pops that always get games early. VGNY had a ton of copies yesterday, both versions.

Spike

Installed:

Disc 1 = 6.6 GB
Disc 2 = 6.2 GB

~Kinggi~ said:
Ps3 has a little better framerate and is on a single disc. Im still getting the 360 one though.

Maybe if you are running off a disc, but with it fully installed, I've been playing for 2.5 hours now and it runs nice and smooth. I haven't noticed any hiccups as of yet.

scently

~Kinggi~ said:
Ps3 has a little better framerate and is on a single disc. Im still getting the 360 one though.

Did you do any analysis? If not I will go with what David Cox have said until DF does their face-off.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Spike said:
Installed:

Disc 1 = 6.6 GB
Disc 2 = 6.2 GB

Maybe if you are running off a disc, but with it fully installed, I've been playing for 2.5 hours now and it runs nice and smooth. I haven't noticed any hiccups as of yet.
I was just going off of reviews. I didnt realize the framerate issue might be loading stuttering...

~Kinggi~ said:
I was just going off of reviews. I didnt realize the framerate issue might be loading stuttering...
The reviewers copy wasn't the final build. David Cox said the game is smooth on both systems.

Spike

~Kinggi~ said:

Yeah, I can understand that. Too bad reviews don't mention the specifics of how they tested the game. I believe it was the same deal with The Force Unleashed. It was stuttering all the time until I did the full install, then it ran beautifully.

Actually, I bought a 60GB HDD just for Castlevania because I won't upgrade the PS3. I'm thinking of jailbreaking it so I can install to my HDD, but since I won't be able to get the DLC for Castlevania from PSN, I bought the 360 version. Now, I seem to be buying the 360 version of games over the PS3 versions simply because I can do a full install.

CaptYamato said:
The reviewers copy wasn't the final build. David Cox said the game is smooth on both systems.

I got word from a trusted source, who's played through the final builds, that Dave Cox isn't being entirely truthful, lol. I don't think it's a huge disparity; people should just go with the controller they feel most comfortable with.

perineumlick said:

I got word from a trusted source, who's played through the final builds, that Dave Cox isn't being entirely truthful, lol. I don't think it's a huge disparity; people should just go with the controller they feel most comfortable with.

This post confuses me.

Flib said:
The spiders were the first enemy that really could just kill me without much thought (knight difficulty). They're just so fast, and if you don't have any light magic saved, that poison is brutal. I killed 2 while low on health, found a health fountain and healed back up, only to immediately find another one and mistime my poison clearing, bringing me all the way back down. Gah.

WAHT?

There's more than one of those Spiders... I thought that it was a boss encounter?

RavenFox

Banned
perineumlick said:

Nani?

From what I've heard, from a VIP poster on another forum who's played both final builds, the 360 version runs at an average 22-23 fps, while the PS3 runs at 24-25 fps, topping out at 30 in some spots. Like I said, that's really not a big difference, but neither is running completely as smooth as Mr. Cox makes it seem. Not sure how a full install affects this on 360, nor whether said person played the 360 version that way or not, so take it with a grain of salt.

~Kinggi~

Banned
perineumlick said:
From what I've heard, from a VIP poster on another forum who's played both final builds, the 360 version runs at an average 22-23 fps, while the PS3 runs at 24-25 fps, topping out at 30 in some spots. Like I said, that's really not a big difference, but neither is running completely as smooth as Mr. Cox makes it seem. Not sure how a full install affects this on 360, nor whether said person played the 360 version that way or not, so take it with a grain of salt.
Well if its a guy playing both final builds, they are probably review builds, especially if hes gone through them already. Review builds are said to be different than retail ones.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
RavenFox said:
Yes I did. Can't you see it posted there? It's not prerendered either all realtime.

*rollseyes*

Ok then. I thought no one did that lame stuff these days :lol

Anyway, I pre-ordered the PS3 version. Sightly excited to be honest, I haven't played a Castlevania game since SOTN so I am very out of the loop =P

RavenFox

Banned
Relix said:
*rollseyes*

Ok then. I thought no one did that lame stuff these days :lol

Anyway, I pre-ordered the PS3 version. Sightly excited to be honest, I haven't played a Castlevania game since SOTN so I am very out of the loop =P
lol just having some fun with you man. Well I hope you enjoy the game. Don't worry about being out of the loop. The story is fresh and even though he is a Belmont it has nothing to do with Leon's story [LOI]. This is before Leon in the 1400's and slightly different universe. In short it is not part of the Belmont timeline.

Teknoman

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
that's what I've been doing maybe If I reset the ps3 this is weird. also at the beginig when it ask to move the left stick until there is only two mask on screen nothing shows up ever. Is it possible I have a bad download or a download on the european store is acting funny on a NTSC T.V.??/

Everyone in NA who played the demo played the EU version of it...so it might be your system or your controller? If you move the guage towards the right, the screen should get brighter.

jax (old)

Banned
just played the demo. wow. A+++ presentation and the game looks like a monster hit. Can't wait to pick this up here when it hits retail

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Jax said:
just played the demo. wow. A+++ presentation and the game looks like a monster hit. Can't wait to pick this up here when it hits retail
Also just finally went through it. Man, you guys weren't kidding. Really one of the best looking games this gen. Can't wait for this week. Castlevania and nba2k!!

Teknoman said:
Fixed cameras usually arent problems in 3d games, its when you can move the camera that things get messy.
Ehn, depends on how smart the camera is and how the enemies are programmed to behave. For every God of War, there's a Ninja Gaiden pre-Hurricane.

dream

Wow, bit of a shock here. The only thing I knew about this game was that it was a non-Iga 3D Castlevania so I just assumed it would fall in line with the rest of them as far as quality goes. Then I tried the demo...

Has there been any word on which version of the game is superior, or is there no difference at all? I'll be ordering this soon but I'm not sure what to buy it on.

Slight nod to the PS3 version I believe, but no big deal either way.

Also, the first spot you are dropped in in Chapter II literally looks like real life. This game is incredible

Canova

Banned
omg,

one more question about which version is better, I'm gonna tear this thread to pieces. srsly does 1-2 fps difference or 1-2 screen tearings really matter?

Top Bottom