• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

CcrooK said:
Go beat the game then give us your impression. Fuck the first two chapters impressions. :lol And tell us if there is more or less of classic Castlevania music through the game.

Jesus dude, I just got the game today, lol! And I'm not finishing a 20 hour game in one sitting. 6 levels of play is enough to give an initial impression I think.

Musically it has the typical action game soundtrack. I haven't heard anything noteworthy yet, and the same track seems to play for each Boss fight, at least so far.

CastlevaniaPSHomeAd.jpg

Flib

perineumlick said:

Jesus dude, I just got the game today, lol! And I'm not finishing a 20 hour game in one sitting. 6 levels of play is enough to give an initial impression I think.

Musically it has the typical action game soundtrack. I haven't heard anything noteworthy yet, and the same track seems to play for each Boss fight, at least so far.

I'm exactly as far as you, and I feel the same way.

People shouldn't worry thought, it's very good overall, high production values, though I do think the framerate could use some work (I'm on PS3). Nothing gamebreaking or anything, just noticeable jumps.

Also, fucking spiders gah

Spike

So I got the call that I can pick this up tomorrow from my local mom 'n pop shop, but they did not get any of the Collector's Editions. I'm getting this for my brother since he is a huge Castlevania nut, but I wonder what he would prefer. Having the game early, or getting a CE?

Oh, and it is going to be the 360 version here. I would have gone with the PS3 version, but I don't want to update from 3.41 and he won't be able to get the DLC if I don't.

Flib said:
I'm exactly as far as you, and I feel the same way.

People shouldn't worry thought, it's very good overall, high production values, though I do think the framerate could use some work (I'm on PS3). Nothing gamebreaking or anything, just noticeable jumps.

Also, fucking spiders gah

Exactly. I love these types of games, and anyone who likes action/adventure will like this too. I like the fact that you're not confined to a castle, because some ofthese environments are very nice looking.
And yeah, fucking spiders, lol.

The LE cover looks so much nicer than the standard edition. But the standard edition is already going to cost me over a hundred bucks, so I can't really justify shelling out for more just for the cover. :/

burgerdog

Segata Sanshiro said:
The LE cover looks so much nicer than the standard edition. But the standard edition is already going to cost me over a hundred bucks, so I can't really justify shelling out for more just for the cover. :/
Dang, why so much? Importing the US version?

burgerdog said:
Dang, why so much? Importing the US version?
Yup. Japanese version isn't coming for a couple months yet. It will probably have English options, but I really can't wait that long. So yeah, ¥8800 a-go-go.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yup. Japanese version isn't coming for a couple months yet. It will probably have English options, but I really can't wait that long. So yeah, ¥8800 a-go-go.

Speaking of Japan, I'm surprised they're using "Castlevania" in Japan and not "Akumajō Dracula".

NeoUltima

ULTROS! said:
Speaking of Japan, I'm surprised they're using "Castlevania" in Japan and not "Akumajō Dracula".
Perhaps part of the decision is that they having been keeping it a secret whether or not Dracula is even in the game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ULTROS! said:
They did that with LoI as well. No subtitle, just "Castlevania."

NeoUltima said:
Perhaps part of the decision is that they having been keeping it a secret whether or not Dracula is even in the game.
Have they? Some of the trailers seem to make it pretty obvious.

zlatko

Banned
I still need to know if the 360 or PS3 version has an edge over the other before I rent this Tuesday. Hopefully Gaf can fill in the blanks.

I'm still leaning towards PS3 since 360 has 2 discs and I don't have the HDD space to install the game to help load times on my 360.

knitoe

zlatko said:
I still need to know if the 360 or PS3 version has an edge over the other before I rent this Tuesday. Hopefully Gaf can fill in the blanks.

I'm still leaning towards PS3 since 360 has 2 discs and I don't have the HDD space to install the game to help load times on my 360.
I would like to know too. Currently, have X360 version ordered, but could change the order.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
knitoe said:
I would like to know too. Currently, have X360 version ordered, but could change the order.

You could always read Brandon's post on the previous page...

But PS3 was the lead platform on this game, so if you have both consoles, it's definitely the way to go, unless you really hate the dualshock controller or something.

ULTROS! said:
Yeah, I was surprised, too. No Akumajou anything. An odd choice, considering the name "Castlevania" is only associated with three games here: Harmony of Dissonance, Lament of Innocence, and Aria of Sorrow.

Tokubetsu

luka said:
They did that with LoI as well. No subtitle, just "Castlevania."

Have they? Some of the trailers seem to make it pretty obvious.

Could always be a bait and switch. They might be hyping it up as Dracula and just turns out to be one of his underlings/relatives/children/generals?

anddo0

perineumlick said:

Exactly. I love these types of games, and anyone who likes action/adventure will like this too. I like the fact that you're not confined to a castle, because some ofthese environments are very nice looking.
And yeah, fucking spiders, lol.

Saw you playing this yesterday.. how the hell do you always get these games so early?

I'm an action/adventure gamer myself. So, I'm officially jumping off the fence and picking this one up. I've played my share of flawed games (Nier) and still enjoyed the much more than other so called AAA titles. Castlevania seems right up my ally.

RavenFox

Banned
Someone wrote a post about the Dracula in this game on another site and I don't know if its true or not. I warn you guys stay on GAF and don't wander the less traveled parts on the web. Dark Times indeed. Let's just say I wont post it here.

Nemesis_

RavenFox said:
Someone wrote a post about the Dracula in this game on another site and I don't know if its true or not. I warn you guys stay on GAF and don't wander the less traveled parts on the web. Dark Times indeed. Let's just say I wont post it here.

I think I may have seen something similar. Fffffuuuuuuu I hope it's just speculation!

Foffy

Banned
RavenFox said:

If it's the same spoiler I know of, then yes, it's best for people to not really go across on the innernets for a while.

Also, for those of you who HAVE the game, and I don't mean to be gloating about having it early, but I'm stuck.

I'm stuck on Castle Sewers, and there's this one segment where you're supposed to go through a gate and the floor is covered in spikes. No matter what I do here, be it sprint, sprint + roll, sprint + jump, or the Shadow Magic dash move, the gate will always close when I get anywhere near it. I know it's not timed, so that's not the issue. Any idea on what's the solution? Do I have to restart the stage or something?

jett

D-Member
Drunkenthumbmaster said:
in the demo I can't figure out how to throw dagges or do direct attacts I know it's square and circle but it's not working for me.

You just press circle to throw daggers, you point in the general direction you want to throw with the left analog stick, the game will auto-aim from there. You don't have an unlimited supply, you pick them up from fallen enemies. Maybe you're trying to throw daggers when you have none?

"Direct attack" is just the regular square button attack. If that's not working for you then your controlled might be fudged.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The Bookerman said:
Any other arachnophobes here? I hate giant spiders in my games.... And I don't like the one found in this game either.... DAMNIT.
oh shit....i don't mind some spiders, but the ones that look like black widows really get under my skin....hold me

that's what I've been doing maybe If I reset the ps3 this is weird. also at the beginig when it ask to move the left stick until there is only two mask on screen nothing shows up ever. Is it possible I have a bad download or a download on the european store is acting funny on a NTSC T.V.??/

Kagari said:
You could always read Brandon's post on the previous page...

I wish it could fit in the thread title.

Quick heads up, I removed the product information section and replaced it with a storyline graphic, I dunno, I see no reason to have info that can be found on Gamestop.com and Amazon and I think it's better without it. I know a lot of people like to put that stuff in OT's which is why I initially did it but it's a discussion topic, not an ad.

Anony

question about the 360 verison

the 2 discs is the entire game right (not some documentary/interview etc)
if you install it on the harddrive, how does installing the 2nd disc work

Flib

The spiders were the first enemy that really could just kill me without much thought (knight difficulty). They're just so fast, and if you don't have any light magic saved, that poison is brutal. I killed 2 while low on health, found a health fountain and healed back up, only to immediately find another one and mistime my poison clearing, bringing me all the way back down. Gah.

What is the difficulty difference between Warrior and Knight? I mean should I just start on Knight? Or is it going to be very difficult to the point of being more frustrating than enjoyable?

Tendo

Is the DLC going to be exclusive to 360 or PS3? I shouldn't need to even be worried about that when looking at what version to purchase...*glares at Dead Rising 2, Prince of Persia, and Tomb Raider Underworld*

canova said:
how bout this thing?

That's nothing compared to that three-headed worm in King Kong that swallows Gollum's VA by his arms, legs, and head. I've never felt more sick in a movie theater, not counting Van Helsing.

scently

brandonh83 said:
That's nothing compared to that three-headed worm in King Kong that swallows Gollum's VA by his arms, legs, and head. I've never felt more sick in a movie theater, not counting Van Helsing.

Pooya

Tendo said:
Is the DLC going to be exclusive to 360 or PS3? I shouldn't need to even be worried about that when looking at what version to purchase...*glares at Dead Rising 2, Prince of Persia, and Tomb Raider Underworld*
no, it's not exclusive.

Top Bottom