• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow |OT| The MercurySteam has Vanquished the Horrible Night

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i went on PSN but there is no demo there. how are people playing this?

Euro PSN. Make an account, very simple.

Watched a bit of that justin.tv play... all I can say is, dear god, how epic is that? That boss fight is ridiculous and it reminds me of Van Helsing-- no, not in a shitty way, but how Van Helsing should have been. This definitely looks like one of the best vampire/gothic-themed videogames I've ever seen. How can anyone say it's not like Castlevania? This is exactly what inspired the entire fucking series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Baller said:
Has there been any word on which version of the game is superior, or is there no difference at all? I'll be ordering this soon but I'm not sure what to buy it on.

You know, it amazes me how many people are unwilling to read back a few pages in a thread.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Kagari said:
You know, it amazes me how many people are unwilling to read back a few pages in a thread.

i don't think it's that unusual. an official thread of this size has the most pertinent information in the original post and from there the latest page has the most current active discussion. it would be like logging into irc and having 10 pages of conversation to read before you could say anything. it's just impractical. news threads that have constantly updated news, i understand, read the thread. but this? it's huge. 22 pages, and i have my settings to 100 posts a page. no way. it's not that hard a question to answer really. i do understand your frustration with hearing that question over and over, though. is it in the o.p.?

Max

I am not Max
"You cannot sign in using another user's sing-in ID (email address)."

:(?

Edit: oh I needed a new profile

DaFish

Max said:
"You cannot sign in using another user's sing-in ID (email address)."

:(?

Make a new email address (Hotmail, Gmail) and use that...

you don't even have to use the email to verify anything like that either

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
brandonh83 said:
I can do it, I just figured people could decide a bit better what system to get it for if they have both.

i think at least determining in the o.p. whether there is any critical leaning on strictly technical issues is appropriate. i know what you mean, though, in that you don't want to stoke the fires of irrationality and muddy the thread with console war bullplop. but i think such information, as i said, is pertinent and fair to be included where people can find it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For those who are playing this game, does it have Legion/Granfaloon or anything similar to its context?

I'd buy any Castlevania that features Legion.

Kagari said:
Haha, well the information that guy was looking for is on this very page even.
I guess my page settings are dumb, because I didn't see it. Sorry though, I didn't mean to piss anyone off. I even did a google search before posting my question in the thread and didn't come up with anything.

beelzebozo said:
i don't think it's that unusual. an official thread of this size has the most pertinent information in the original post and from there the latest page has the most current active discussion. it would be like logging into irc and having 10 pages of conversation to read before you could say anything. it's just impractical. news threads that have constantly updated news, i understand, read the thread. but this? it's huge. 22 pages, and i have my settings to 100 posts a page. no way. it's not that hard a question to answer really. i do understand your frustration with hearing that question over and over, though. is it in the o.p.?
This, basically. I just came from work and I log on to GAF to see this monstrous thread... having the info in the OP would definitely help. I bought Bayonetta on PS3 because I didn't know any better and ever since then I've been kinda skittish on this issue.

EDIT: I see you've updated the OP. I happen to prefer the DS3 so I'll be getting the game on PS3. Thanks for the update. :D

Baller said:
This, basically. I just came finished work and I log on to GAF to see this monstrous thread... having the info in the OP would definitely help. I bought Bayonetta on PS3 because I didn't know any better and ever since then I've been kinda skittish on this issue.

Seriously? Pretty much every review/impression/video/everything about Bayonetta screamed that you do not buy the PS3 version. I even think it's on the back of the fucking PS3 case and I think store employees were instructed to warn everyone who lays the PS3 version down on the counter. Castlevania, on the other hand, isn't a case so severe. The 360 version has a couple of framerate hiccups but people playing it aren't having issue with it.

Not to mention Bayonetta had demos out on both systems plenty of time before the game came out.

Ashodin

For those of you asking me to unwrap/unravel the Castlevania 360 Limited, it comes in a plastic outershell that slides out into a digibook style (that velvet/whatever the hell smooth rubber surface) with the game discs in it, and the sweet artbook.

I can't open it and take pictures as I work at a store where these are being held, and a customer might get angry if their pre-ordered copy is already open :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
beelzebozo said:

Yep, it's all white noise unless any info is in the OP. Any questions are fair game for any page, if the thread author is too lazy to re-edit those repeated questions and answers into the OP.

So basically, don't make an Official Thread if you can't follow through! Just because you can make an Official Thread look all pretty means dick in the long-run.

brandonh83 said:
Seriously? Pretty much every review/impression/video/everything about Bayonetta screamed that you do not buy the PS3 version. I even think it's on the back of the fucking PS3 case and I think store employees were instructed to warn everyone who lays the PS3 version down on the counter. Castlevania, on the other hand, isn't a case so severe. The 360 version has a couple of framerate hiccups but people playing it aren't having issue with it.

Not to mention Bayonetta had demos out on both systems plenty of time before the game came out.
Well, I'm in the military and stationed in Italy, and for a while there I wasn't really keeping up with the gaming scene on the web. I had heard of Bayonetta when it was announced and later purchased it when it became available at the PX, which is the only place I can buy NTSC games in store. Like I said, I prefer the PS3 pad so I bought it for that.

Right now I'm actually deployed to Afghanistan, so when I say I came back from work I really mean that I came back from patrol. :lol Obviously my Internet sucks and my time is somewhat limited so clicking through all 44 pages of this OT isn't really feasible.

Anyway, all of this has anything to do with Castlevania so that's enough about that I think. Sorry again.

beelzebozo said:
i think at least determining in the o.p. whether there is any critical leaning on strictly technical issues is appropriate. i know what you mean, though, in that you don't want to stoke the fires of irrationality and muddy the thread with console war bullplop. but i think such information, as i said, is pertinent and fair to be included where people can find it.

I would agree with that if one of the versions was known to have like vastly superior technical issues than the other, but literally the only thing being reported is that the 360 version does have occasional framerate drops whereas the PS3 version seems to remain mostly steady. There seem to be no differences in any other department, no differences in AA, contrast, textures, nada, only the slight framerate hiccup here and there on the 360. Not to mention I don't recall too many OT's that point these things out, and when I made it I wasn't even sure at that point.

but the demand was made and I have seen the error of my ways!

Brandon F said:
So basically, don't make an Official Thread if you can't follow through! Just because you can make an Official Thread look all pretty means dick in the long-run.

Wow. Dark times indeed, Stewart was not fucking around.

Baller said:
Well, I'm in the military and stationed in Italy, and for a while there I wasn't really keeping up with the gaming scene on the web. I had heard of Bayonetta when it was announced and later purchased it when it became available at the PX, which is the only place I can buy NTSC games in store. Like I said, I prefer the PS3 pad so I bought it for that.

It's really no problem at all. I wasn't aware that it was this huge issue considering both versions are more or less identical and the reviews have said as much. I think it's a bit immature that I got called out for not clarifying it in the OT but whatever, most people seemed to like it and we're here to talk about the game. Moving on. Next time I'll be sure to follow a developer on Twitter and post what he has for dinner every afternoon in the OT.

Teknoman

ULTROS! said:
For those who are playing this game, does it have Legion/Granfaloon or anything similar to its context?

I'd buy any Castlevania that features Legion.

No but you should buy it because it features a clock tower. Thats reason enough.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
brandonh83 said:
I would agree with that if one of the versions was known to have like vastly superior technical issues than the other, but literally the only thing being reported is that the 360 version does have occasional framerate drops whereas the PS3 version seems to remain mostly steady. There seem to be no differences in any other department, no differences in AA, contrast, textures, nada, only the slight framerate hiccup here and there on the 360. Not to mention I don't recall too many OT's that point these things out, and when I made it I wasn't even sure at that point.

but the demand was made and I have seen the error of my ways!

Wow.

Don't misinterpret that as an attack on you brandonh83! It's just that too often I get irritated skimming massive OP threads for common question answers that could have been added. Normally not a big deal, until someone gets on your case for coming into the thread 30+ pages late and asking something NOT in the OP.

Just a pet peeve is all. In the old days, we would just create a new thread for these questions, but since that is frowned upon these days given the size of the forum, we are forced to create a reply question in the megathread, which usually gets drowned out or :ugh: attacked.

Brandon F said:
Don't misinterpret that as an attack on you brandonh83! It's just that too often I get irritated skimming massive OP threads for common question answers that could have been added. Normally not a big deal, until someone gets on your case for coming into the thread 30+ pages late and asking something NOT in the OP.

It's all good! I didn't attack anyone though for asking, and when I saw the demands I updated. I agree that a thread should be informative, but like I said when I was making the thread most of the reviews weren't really out there yet so I wasn't sure either way.

Whoaaaa, okay.

I was just watching the justin.tv playthrough and
he's fighting a bunch of zombie-like enemies outside of a tower
and my god did the framerate become unbearable. It only happened while leveling a ton of enemies but it turned into a slideshow. He's playing the 360 version. I don't know if this happens a lot, I watched maybe 30 minutes and this is the only instance where it got this bad, but still-- buyer beware :lol

Jb

Watching the stream, I'm genuinely impressed by the creativity of the creatures and the beauty and variety of the environments. Will definitely pick it up down the road.

S1kkZ

watched the stream a few hours ago: the
music box
level was just awful, same goes for the area before that.

eshwaaz

brandonh83 said:
Whoaaaa, okay.

I was just watching the justin.tv playthrough and
he's fighting a bunch of zombie-like enemies outside of a tower
and my god did the framerate become unbearable. It only happened while leveling a ton of enemies but it turned into a slideshow. He's playing the 360 version. I don't know if this happens a lot, I watched maybe 30 minutes and this is the only instance where it got this bad, but still-- buyer beware :lol
Hmmmm... David Cox not being entirely honest, then? Unless installing the game makes a substantial difference, it looks like Castlevania will be the first multi-platform game I buy on PS3.

eshwaaz said:
Hmmmm... David Cox not being entirely honest, then? Unless installing the game makes a substantial difference, it looks like Castlevania will be the first multi-platform game I buy on PS3.

He did say on Twitter that the 360 version does have some framerate issues. And again it only seemed to occur while attacking a pretty large group of foes, but still, it was a notable drop.

Was planning to buy this game a few months after the launch, once the price had dropped a bit, but I can't resist, I'm so damn hyped:/ Oh well preorder placed:D

This was non existent to me and thought "oh ill click thsi thread" watched a trailer got the demo and well All aboard the hype train :lol

manzo

I'm preparing myself to get the PS3 version unless the digital foundry tests prove otherwise.

Is there a 360-->PS3 controller adapter? I personally hate the DS3, it's a worthless controller for action games. I really want to play the superior version with a 360 controller, no matter the console.

scently

brandonh83 said:
He did say on Twitter that the 360 version does have some framerate issues. And again it only seemed to occur while attacking a pretty large group of foes, but still, it was a notable drop.

When exactly did he say this. As far as I can recall, he said both version are equal. So unless you have played both version or until DF does a face off, stop saying what you are not sure of.

S1kkZ

brandonh83 said:
no, he didnt say that. he said there was a problem with the review code and that it would be fixed in the retail version. some german reviews also talked about framerate drops in the ps3 version, you dont know if the ps3 version has the same problems as the 360 version in the stream.

eshwaaz

brandonh83 said:
I don't follow Twitter, but earlier in this thread these two David Cox tweets were posted:

@CastlevaniaLOS are the slight freezes that sometimes occur on X360 when you kill an enemy as seen in gamespot vids fixed for retail?
David Cox said:
Yes for sure :)

David Cox said:
The games are identical. The 360 review code had some issues with frame rates but not major and they are not in the final

heringer

This game needs polish. Lots of invisible walls (to the point of tripping on invisible objects that are in the middle of your way) and the camera is all over the place.

Combat is excelent though, and the visuals are amazing.

Enjoying it so far.

Tokubetsu

Stream is tempting but I feel like those 7 min preview videos already gave away so much. Gonna try to stay away...maybe.

The game only has frame rate issues when there's more than 4 or 5 enemies. I loved it all the way through on 360.

And holy shit at the ending, WTF.

Minor Spoiler relating to what the sequel (yes there will be one) could be about:

Wow, so it's guaranteed to be in a contemporary setting huh? That's going to be jarring for Castlevania fans. It basically shows that evil has risen during our time with a demon walking around a Japanese city.

CaptYamato said:
How long was it? And how was the platforming.

Took a while, a little over 20 hours. Platforming was okay. I wasn't expecting the game to look so good, that was my biggest surprise. And I really didn't expect to be fighting who I was fighting by the end.

Zeal

Banned
just grabbed it on 360 and absolutely loving the atmosphere, voice acting, music and combat. this game truly absorbs you into the world of Castlevania. i have no idea what kind of crack IGN is smoking with the "not Castlevania enough" comments.

this game is freakin' gold, baby.

Zeal said:
just grabbed it on 360 and absolutely loving the atmosphere, voice acting, music and combat. this game truly absorbs you into the world of Castlevania. i have no idea what kind of crack IGN is smoking with the "not Castlevania enough" comments.

this game is freakin' gold, baby.

And the frame-rate was smooth for me the majority of the game. When it dipped, I barely noticed.

Top Bottom