• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFBWeek5: Clempsoning | klmsneng | Verb | to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
(THU) UCLA @ Arizona State by 10
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 4
Maryland @ Indiana by 7
Florida State @ NC State by 14
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 14
Minnesota @ Michigan by 4
Stanford @ Washington by 10
Missouri @ South Carolina by 7
Duke @ Miami by 4
Washington State @ Utah by 7
Illinois @ Nebraska by 13
Oregon State @ USC by 13

watch me suck this week

ByCNs0IIMAEHwKz.jpg

Yuuuup.

Talon

It's a run-of-the-mill coaching carousel. Once you get into one, it's a real bitch to get out of it. Ask the Domers. Or the Vols. Or the Browns.

Also doesn't help that the state of Michigan isn't a particularly strong high school football state, and they now have to share it with an uncharacteristically strong Sparty. Plus, they can't poach Ohio as effectively as they could during the Carr/Cooper era.
Guess it's hard to get guys to Michigan without Lloyd Carr's bullshit "General Studies" majors.

AntoneM

It's a run-of-the-mill coaching carousel. Once you get into one, it's a real bitch to get out of it. Ask the Domers. Or the Vols. Or the Browns.

Also doesn't help that the state of Michigan isn't a particularly strong high school football state, and they now have to share it with an uncharacteristically strong Sparty. Plus, they can't poach Ohio as effectively as they could during the Carr/Cooper era.

Tell me about it. ASU has been on one since 1978 when Kush was fired. Sure, we had some good years, but then the coach would get hired away (like Cooper). Maybe, just maybe Graham will win and stick around.

thefro

One can't help but wonder how Rich Rod's tenure at Michigan might have ended up had Brandon given him just one more year.

Clearly that 2011 U-M squad didn't succeed because of Hoke's amazing coaching.

Yeah, that's the issue... Rich Rod basically tore their program down and rebuilt it and once he had gotten his pieces in place for his system they fired him.

Firing someone after 3 years never goes well unless you have the slam dunk hire already signed/sealed/delivered. Same with forcing your coach out who has won big, but "doesn't win enough now" into retirement.

andycapps

Mark Richt has lost control of Malcolm Mitchell: http://madworldnews.com/football-star-old-women/

Fantastic story about a fantastic young man. Kudos to him and kudos to Georgia.

I thought I posted that in here a couple weeks ago when a story ran on it? But yeah, it's a cool story.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he's ever going to play football again. He rehabbed from the ACL and then tweaked something and had to have a scope (I believe) in preseason, and now is rehabbing again and still not able to practice. I just wonder if he's injured himself so much that he won't be able to play. I feel the same about Keith Marshall.

This was where I first saw that story about Mitchell.

http://youtu.be/16qmS26C08w

Firing someone after 3 years never goes well unless you have the slam dunk hire already signed/sealed/delivered. Same with forcing your coach out who has won big, but "doesn't win enough now" into retirement.

Well, I'd say there are some exceptions to that rule.

Mack Brown, for instance.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Editing the OP:

Notable games this week: This is pretty much another week of uninteresting match-ups. Never fear, though. If you need motivation to tune in this weekend, just watch ESPN or your favorite conference-specific network to get hyped up over these mostly meaningless match-ups.

Thursday, September 25

7:30 PM Texas Tech at No. 24 Oklahoma State - Battle of the copier. Winner gets to lay claim to the name Xerox U. The loser has to rename themselves Ricoh U.
10:00 PM No. 11 UCLA at No. 15 Arizona State - The only match-up this week between ranked teams! And of course it doesn't fucking start until 10:00 Eastern.

Saturday, September 27

3:30 PM No. 1 Florida State at North Carolina State - Can NC State recreate the magic from two-years ago that led to the creation of the single most epic shirtless-fat-guy-waving-a-towel gif? No. FSU is going to cream the Wolfpack.
3:30 PM Arkansas vs. No. 6 Texas A&M - Neither team really has a defense. Arkansas runs the ball. A&M passes. Should be a track meet.
4:00 PM Colorado at California - TROLOLOLOLOL
6:00 PM Cincinnati at No. 22 Ohio State - Cincinnati has a former SEC coach, so if tOSU beats 'Nati then it's practically the same thing as beating a real SEC team! Right?
7:00 PM North Carolina at Clemson - Clempson 2 - Clempson Harder. Two incompetent teams each trying desperately to give the game to their opponent. Who wants to lose more?!
7:30 PM Duke at Miami (FL) - I'm sure on some level this game is meaningful, so here it sits on the list.
8:00 PM Washington State at Utah - Wazzu almost beat Oregon. Utah actually beat the storied Meechigan Wolverines at the Big House. This is a game featuring two sure fire, up and coming programs. Don't miss it!
9:00 PM Illinois at No. 21 Nebraska - B1G Game of the Week!
10:30 PM Oregon State at No. 18 USC - What will happen to USC in the polls next week? Will they fall further with a win or a loss?

andycapps

Editing the OP:

Notable games this week: This is pretty much another week of uninteresting match-ups. Never fear, though. If you need motivation to tune in this weekend, just watch ESPN or your favorite conference-specific network to get hyped up over these mostly meaningless match-ups.

Thursday, September 25

7:30 PM Texas Tech at No. 24 Oklahoma State - Battle of the copier. Winner gets to lay claim to the name Xerox U. The loser has to rename themselves Ricoh U.
10:00 PM No. 11 UCLA at No. 15 Arizona State - The only match-up this week between ranked teams! And of course it doesn't fucking start until 10:00 Eastern.

Saturday, September 27

3:30 PM No. 1 Florida State at North Carolina State - Can NC State recreate the magic from two-years ago that led to the creation of the single most epic shirtless-fat-guy-waving-a-towel gif? No. FSU is going to cream the Wolfpack.
3:30 PM Arkansas vs. No. 6 Texas A&M - Neither team really has a defense. Arkansas runs the ball. A&M passes. Should be a track meet.
4:00 PM Colorado at California - TROLOLOLOLOL
6:00 PM Cincinnati at No. 22 Ohio State - Cincinnati has a former SEC coach, so if tOSU beats 'Nati then it's practically the same thing as beating a real SEC team! Right?
7:00 PM North Carolina at Clemson - Clempson 2 - Clempson Harder. Two incompetent teams each trying desperately to give the game to their opponent. Who wants to lose more?!
7:30 PM Duke at Miami (FL) - I'm sure on some level this game is meaningful, so here it sits on the list.
8:00 PM Washington State at Utah - Wazzu almost beat Oregon. Utah actually beat the storied Meechigan Wolverines at the Big House. This is a game featuring two sure fire, up and coming programs. Don't miss it!
9:00 PM Illinois at No. 21 Nebraska - B1G Game of the Week!
10:30 PM Oregon State at No. 18 USC - What will happen to USC in the polls next week? Will they fall further with a win or a loss?

All due respect to fat NC State shirtless dude gif, but this is the best fat football fan gif ever. And it happens to involve the same matchup as this weekend. Real opportunity missed here, mre.

JLX3I4U.gif

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Taken from the notes from Kingsbury's press conference today, in reference to losing our DC last week -

Kingsbury dismissed the idea that this move would impact the defensive negatively. "I don't think it does. I mean, it's not like we were playing very well on any side of the ball at that point anyway. I don't think it hurt at all. I think our guys did a good job of refocusing."

:jnc

::edit::
Breaking: Baker Mayfield's waiver has been approved by the NCAA, making him eligible immediately to play for OU. I would say I am shocked by the combination of both his request being granted at all and his request being granted a quarter of the way into the season.

::edit2::
Apparently the reports now are that he was approved for financial aid, but not to play, so he'll still be 2 to play 2 starting in 2015.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
All due respect to fat UNC shirtless dude gif, but this is the best fat football fan gif ever. And it happens to involve the same matchup as this weekend. Real opportunity missed here, mre.

JLX3I4U.gif
But... that is the exact gif I was talking about. Is there even a gif of a fat UNC shirtless dude?

Whyyyyyyyy

I've got a playlist ready for this game. It features a lot of Bob Marley and the Doobie Brothers.

The S&P Top 25:

1. Bama
2. Baylor
3. Oklahoma
4. Oregon
5. aTm
6. The Farm
7. FSU
8. Ole Miss
9. Miss State
10. Michigan St.
11. Louisville
12. TCU
13. LSU
14. Auburn
15. Wisconsin
16. Georgia
17. Ohio State
18. Notre Dame
19. Michigan
20. Oklahoma State
21. Boise State
22. Marshall
23. South Carolina
24. Arizona State
25. Penn State

The advanced metrics seem to not like the Pac 12 as much as the pollsters.

Draxal

I've got a playlist ready for this game. It features a lot of Bob Marley and the Doobie Brothers.

The S&P Top 25:

1. Bama
2. Baylor
3. Oklahoma
4. Oregon
5. aTm
6. The Farm
7. FSU
8. Ole Miss
9. Miss State
10. Michigan St.
11. Louisville
12. TCU
13. LSU
14. Auburn
15. Wisconsin
16. Georgia
17. Ohio State
18. Notre Dame
19. Michigan
20. Oklahoma State
21. Boise State
22. Marshall
23. South Carolina
24. Arizona State
25. Penn State

The advanced metrics seem to not like the Pac 12 as much as the pollsters.

Pitt 29
Iowa 59

Okay.

Football metrics were always garbage due to limited size and too many variables in game.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Lol. That S&P rating is functionally retarded. Michigan in the top 25 ahead of 10 unbeatens and about 20 other teams with better records. Who have they beaten? Nobody. Who have they lost to? Who cares! Doesn't W/L mean anything? That's why we play the game... :p

Strength of schedule is clearly not much of a factor here.

Lol. That S&P rating is functionally retarded. Michigan in the top 25 ahead of 10 unbeatens and about 20 other teams with better records. Who have they beaten? Nobody. Who have they lost to? Who cares! Doesn't W/L mean anything? That's why we play the game... :p

Well if you guys bothered to read:

The S&P+ Ratings are a college football ratings system derived from the play-by-play and drive data of all 800+ of a season's FBS college football games (and 140,000+ plays). There are three key components to the S&P+:
Success Rate: A common Football Outsiders tool used to measure efficiency by determining whether every play of a given game was successful or not. The terms of success in college football: 50 percent of necessary yardage on first down, 70 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down.
EqPts Per Play (PPP): An explosiveness measure derived from determining the point value of every yard line (based on the expected number of points an offense could expect to score from that yard line) and, therefore, every play of a given game.
Drive Efficiency: As of February 2013, S&P+ also includes a drive-based aspect based on the field position a team creates and its average success at scoring or preventing the points expected based on that field position.
Opponent adjustments: Success Rate and PPP combine to form S&P, an OPS-like measure for football. Then each team's S&P output for a given category (Rushing/Passing on either Standard Downs or Passing Downs) is compared to the expected output based upon their opponents and their opponents' opponents. For the drive efficiency portion, the same approach is taken based on net points and starting field position. This is a schedule-based adjustment designed to reward tougher schedules and punish weaker ones.
The S&P+ figures used in the tables below only look at the plays that took place while a game was deemed competitive. Garbage-time plays and possessions have been filtered out of the calculations. The criteria for "garbage time" are as follows: a game is not within 28 points in the first quarter, 24 points in the second quarter, 21 points in the third quarter, or 16 points in the fourth quarter.
Also included below: a team's percentage of total points scored and its Adjusted Record. Based on single-game S&P+ performances, this is the record a team would have had playing a perfectly average team, with a perfectly average number of breaks, in each week of the season. Adj. Record gives you a different way to visualize the impact of both team consistency and schedule strength.

tl;dr these are efficiency ratings. They do take into account SoS (This is a schedule-based adjustment designed to reward tougher schedules and punish weaker ones.)

UCLA @ Arizona State by 14
Vanderbilt @ Kentucky by 2
Maryland @ Indiana by 7
Florida State @ NC State by 3
Arkansas vs Texas A&M by 22
Minnesota @ Michigan by 3
Stanford @ Washington by 21
Missouri @ South Carolina by 7
Duke @ Miami [by 6
Washington State @ Utah by 14
Illinois @ Nebraska by 3
Oregon State @ USC by 3

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

tl;dr these are efficiency ratings. They do take into account SoS (This is a schedule-based adjustment designed to reward tougher schedules and punish weaker ones.)

No, I read it, it is just the least important or relevant chart in the business, including preseason rankings... Getting shut out by ND and shut down by Utah = 19th best efficiency rating? Honestly? The stat shouldn't exist if logic destroys it, even if there is "math" to back it up.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Actually, I did bother to read that.

As long as we're talking about reading comprehension, you should have noticed that I said strength of schedule is "not much of a factor," not that strength of schedule "isn't included at all." They can say that they used " a schedule-based adjustment designed to reward tougher schedules and punish weaker ones" but any rating that puts Baylor ahead of Oklahoma clearly doesn't have a strong influence from SoS:

1. Oklahoma's opponents have a better overall record.
  2. Oklahoma has played two power 5 conference opponents to Baylor's zero.
  3. Oklahoma has played zero FCS opponents to Baylor's one.
  4. One of Baylor's opponents has thus far been outscored 146-12, fired their head coach (sorry, "had him resign"), and will very possibly not win a single game this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom