• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chilean students' debts go up in smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
For a whole year, a Chilean artist using the name Fried Potatoes (Papas Fritas) planned his revenge. Saying he was collecting material for an art project, the 31-year-old visual artist sneaked into a vault at a notorious private, run-for-profit university and quietly removed tuition contracts.

Fried Potatoes – whose real name is Francisco Tapia – then burned the documents, rendering it nearly impossible for the Universidad del Mar to call in its debt – which he claimed was worth as much as $500m (£297m). "It's over. You are all free of debt," he said in a five-minute video released earlier this month. Speaking to former students, he added: "You don't have to pay a penny."

Tapia's move is just the most radical of a three-year campaign by students and children to demand free, improved public education. With monthly marches– and four former student leaders elected to parliament – the students have built a potent citizen's movement rarely seen in post-Pinochet Chile.

(...)

The ashes have since been converted into a mobile art exhibit built into the sides of a Volkswagen camper van. The back window of the van holds a video screen so that Tapia's message can be played to crowds of curious onlookers.

The van, laden with ash, has toured the streets of Santiago and Valparaiso, and even went on display at the GAM – a prominent Santiago art gallery and cultural centre. When Chilean detectives, wearing white body suits, attempted to confiscate the fine grey dust as evidence, they too were incorporated into the exhibit's PR blitz and listed as "media partners".

According to government investigators, the Universidad del Mar, in the swanky seaside resort of Renaca, was less a university than a money laundering operation. The university was shut last year, accreditations stripped away and thousands of students left with half a diploma – but who still found themselves lumbered with outstanding debts.

Lawyers say that Tapia's destruction of the files does not technically rescind the debt, but it does make it extremely difficult to prove the debt exists.Only by formally testifying in court and acknowledging the debt would students now be forced to pay, said Mauricio Daza, a lawyer.

Daza also argued that the debts were of questionable legality even before Fried Potatoes destroyed them. "These debts are product of a fraud by the owners of the university over a long period of time," said Daza. "They pretended to have a non-profit [university] but really it was all a cover-up for getting money from the students and the state and transferring those resources into the pockets of the university owners."

(...)

In a statement delivered to a Chilean court, Tapia defended his action. He claimed to have smuggled the documents to Santiago, where he began to investigate the credit files, case-by-case, student-by-student. By day Tapia would investigate the financial situation and life struggle of a single student. Then in the evening, he would destroy the documents related to that particular debt. "Every night, like a ritual, I burned the documents that detailed the debt."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/23/chile-student-loan-debts-fried-potatoes

This has been in the news for a while here, but I'm surprised that made it now into the Guardian.

Burn if old.

Bold One

7LebMKT.gif

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Kudos to him. The education system over there is disgusting.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
What if the school has to close due to lack of funding? or at least cut back on less important departments, maybe starting with visual arts.

Dali

It's like the end of Fight Club... except since I guess all the records were paper based instead of electronic records of credit companies with all kinds of backups it actually worked.

Surely they have more than just a piece of paper that ties a student to the debt?

If they have other records of students attending classes and such can't they still say they owe them money?

Tesseract

Banned
Lawyers say that Tapia's destruction of the files does not technically rescind the debt, but it does make it extremely difficult to prove the debt exists.Only by formally testifying in court and acknowledging the debt would students now be forced to pay, said Mauricio Daza, a lawyer.

lololol

Dali

What if the school has to close due to lack of funding? or at least cut back on less important departments, maybe starting with visual arts.
Going by the article the place lost accredation in many departments and seems to have been more scam than learning institution. So what if the school has to close due to lack of funding?

Wolfe

Did you even read the OP? Place was a scam school and had long since closed for other reasons leaving students with half a diploma and massive debt.

Edit: I'm soo slow.

mclem

I *was* going to say "nice in spirit, but that means the university is now struggling for funding, and them being short of money isn't really better than the students being short of money"...

...but then I read on about how the university in question conducts its business. If true, fuck 'em.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Surely they have more than just a piece of paper that ties a student to the debt?

If they have other records of students attending classes and such can't they still say they owe them money?

Not everyone pays the same amount. And not everyone pays it off at the same rate, or even takes out a loan in the first place.
So no.
And without a contract, doubly so.

Really, it's their fault for apparently letting some random art student gain access to paperwork that had zero backup - and was the crux of their entire lending scheme.

Salsa

I went to occupy a university with a bunch of people when I was in Chile 3 weeks ago

I get that everyone's looking at this and going "fuck yeah hope it catches on in america!" but the situation in Chile is damn dire and the sudents are seriously stepping up.

Renta

Banned
Fuck. Now all these other places are are going to be on their guard! French Fries, this could have been a joint operation!!!

Boney

Banned
Yeah this happened around a month ago or so. Pretty crazy, but hasn't been much in the news apart from the initial scandal which is even crazier to me.

Papas Fritas is now in hiding for the moment.

But yeah, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things when our education system is so putrid only rich people benefit and the others waste away in unpayable debt.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder how many will still pay. Just because they can't legally prove the debt any more, they likely still have some records for who owes money, and can continue to send bills.

J10

Banned
Yeah this happened around a month ago or so. Pretty crazy, but hasn't been much in the news apart from the initial scandal which is even crazier to me.

Papas Fritas is now in hiding for the moment.

But yeah, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things when our education system is so putrid only rich people benefit and the others waste away in unpayable debt.

I would assume the powers that be don't want the story inspiring anybody else to try anything similar.

"They pretended to have a non-profit [university] but really it was all a cover-up for getting money from the students and the state and transferring those resources into the pockets of the university owners."

Wait there are other kinds of universities?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is just like the beginning of Undercover Brother.

inky

Having had free, quality education myself often makes me forget it doesn't work like that in much of the rest of the world. (One of the few things my country still does right, more by inertia than anything else, really).

That guy is a hero.

IMO there's nothing wrong with profit seeking schools or universities. The actual problem here is the lack of cheaper alternatives (I assume there is a lack of cheaper alternatives?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom