• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

How do you set up trade with "stations/states"?

I cant find any way to do this besides when it came up automatically the first time I met a station.

How do you set up trade with "stations/states"?

I cant find any way to do this besides when it came up automatically the first time I met a station.

You have to have a trade convoy or trade vessel that has the range to reach it and isn't blocked by miasma. You click on the trade unit and the first option for actions it can perform is to set up a trade route.

Enjoy i while you can guys, the boredom sinks in really fast in this one. I give you 20-25 hours :) It's just reskinned Civ5 with worse UI, BORING factions and the new tech tree that doesn't really impact gameplay. Money grab by Firaxis.

Ok so this is as far from the truth as I've seen. Have some people even played this game? o_O

Played about 3 hours last night with a friend and from the beginning we both realised just how un-Civ V the game was. Nothing did what we expected it to do. All of the new changes effect the game in a massive way. People complain about the Civs having no personality, but the Civs in Civ V had no personality. It wasn't until people played the games for 100s of hours that they realised how nuke happy Gandhi was, or how much a prick Napoleon is. The characters themselves (in Civ V at least) were bland as heck in design.

People need to stop going into this game with the preset mindset that this is a Civ V clone. It just results in confirmation bias as soon as you see a single similar thing. There's more difference in this game and Civ V than there is between CoD installments.

ConceptX

Looking at the reviews, videos, steam reviews etc, and I'm torn, to the point where I keep going from adding it to my cart then removing it again lol.

I think I'll just wait for the first expansion, as recent history shows, Civ games get really flushed out once an expansion comes around and then they start to really shine.

It looks great as a game, but with so many other games to finish, and how easy it is to get lost for long stretches of time, I'm happy with Civ 5 till the expansion.

I do vastly prefer the aesthetic, apart from the weird quirks of the UI, but I'm not sure it's worth it yet.

Carcetti

Enjoy i while you can guys, the boredom sinks in really fast in this one. I give you 20-25 hours :) It's just reskinned Civ5 with worse UI, BORING factions and the new tech tree that doesn't really impact gameplay. Money grab by Firaxis.

Nice trolling. The tech tree has huge impact on gameplay, your civ is pretty much defined by your choice of path. The factions are boring but at least they gain personality by end game due affinity, but that's again due to tech tree.

Gothos

Ok so this is as far from the truth as I've seen. Have some people even played this game? o_O

Played about 3 hours last night with a friend and from the beginning we both realised just how un-Civ V the game was. Nothing did what we expected it to do. All of the new changes effect the game in a massive way. People complain about the Civs having no personality, but the Civs in Civ V had no personality. It wasn't until people played the games for 100s of hours that they realised how nuke happy Gandhi was, or how much a prick Napoleon is. The characters themselves (in Civ V at least) were bland as heck in design.

People need to stop going into this game with the preset mindset that this is a Civ V clone. It just results in confirmation bias as soon as you see a single similar thing. There's more difference in this game and Civ V than there is between CoD installments.

Play it a bit more than 3 hours, maybe you'll see where I'm coming from :) I got about 25h in BE and after the novelty factor wear out it was clear to me it's basically expansion pack for Civ5... And I have enough of Civ5 after 270h /played :)

Random notes:

- I'm always "unhealthy", around 8-10 in the red. The problem is there's no more structures to get it higher.

- I haven't been attacked once in 230 turns. I also haven't attacked anyone. It's been pretty boring so far. Just waiting for shit to finish and see what happens. The addition of quests were a nice little touch.

- Took me a couple hours but I've got the hang of the tech tree and Affinities now. I totally effed up my tech tree (bought way too many of the branches and not enough leafs) but I'm just gonna play this game out.

RoyalFool

Banned
It keeps reverting to minimum graphics settings - driving me nuts, set it to ultra, restart, load my game and wham - back at minimum again.

Gothos

Nice trolling. The tech tree has huge impact on gameplay, your civ is pretty much defined by your choice of path. The factions are boring but at least they gain personality by end game due affinity, but that's again due to tech tree.

I meant its shape, sorry for the confusion. It could be as well just linear tech tree like in Civ5 becuase its 'spider web' approach doens't really change the gameplay, IMHO. Maybe it'll shine more in multiplayer...

Nzyme32

I meant its shape, sorry for the confusion. It could be as well just linear tech tree like in Civ5 becuase its 'spider web' approach doens't really change the gameplay, IMHO. Maybe it'll shine more in multiplayer...

Completely disagree. The progression of research / tech is not linear as it is in Civ V, where you have essentially three routes to different eras and every researchable area can be achieved in a single game. The web prevents this and allows for divergence which should have fairly strong consequences late game. Having only gone through 3/4 of a standard game though, it is hard to fully understand it. I'd need more playthroughs, but it seems obvious from it's layout that it can not be done or rearranged to be in the Civ V format

Bricky

The leaders portraits I've talked to haven't moved, they are completely static.
Is this a glitch?

Nope, you've accidentally set the graphics settings to its lowest. Happened to me too (made me go like 'wait, why does this look WORSE than Civ V?' until that made me realize it).

Bregor

Play it a bit more than 3 hours, maybe you'll see where I'm coming from :) I got about 25h in BE and after the novelty factor wear out it was clear to me it's basically expansion pack for Civ5... And I have enough of Civ5 after 270h /played :)

How did you get 25 hours in. It hasn't been out that long.

Nzyme32

Nope, you've accidentally set the graphics settings to its lowest. Happened to me too (made me go like 'wait, why does this look WORSE than Civ V?' until that made me realize it).

This an annoying issue I've had. The game has a warning on the menu that my graphics drivers are older than what they tested (even though they are the latest drivers), so it set everything to the lowest quality. Just jump into the options and set everything how you like. A bit annoying that there is no default values if that message pops up though

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What a shitty excuse. I could understand if it was an incredibly obtuse setup, but these monitors have been out for years and are incredibly popular.

What excuse? I was just speculating based on the fact the issues were with these monitors, but I see now that actually it happens also for others? Anyhow, I was not trying to excuse the developer, I was just thinking it might be a stupid reason like this. Even if the monitors are available, doesn't necessary means that every developer is buying every kind of equipment existing on the market. But again, it was more of a side comment from me than an excuse.

Yeah but in my mind ICS really mostly only applies when you fit the cities so close together that they have massive overlap of workable territory. And do practically no upgrading of cities, just focusing on building new settlers. The classic example of ICS is covering the map with cities on two tiles apart from each other.

I'm putting cities four tiles apart, which is as close as you get. Internal trade route abuse and per-city building bonuses handle the rest. The spacing is different,but the strategy is the same.

Caayn

Are other people having problems with starting the game with Mantle? DX11 mode runs fine, but mantle results in a black screen.

Qassim

What a shitty excuse. I could understand if it was an incredibly obtuse setup, but these monitors have been out for years and are incredibly popular.

Yep - and given NVIDIA has tested it and released a "Game Ready" driver to coincide with the release of it, I find it hard to believe this wasn't picked up before release. Not to mention GeForce Experience also had optimised settings ready for it.

NVIDIA almost certainly had tested this on on 144hz monitors (especially since one of their flagship technologies is GSync), I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA passed this on and it was ignored so that it didn't delay the game, or perhaps this bug arose in a build later than one NVIDIA (or reviewers) received?

I'm not one to instantly start pointing fingers with such theories, but it seems like quite a big thing to miss all the way through QA.

Realyn

What excuse? I was just speculating based on the fact the issues were with these monitors, but I see now that actually it happens also for others? Anyhow, I was not trying to excuse the developer, I was just thinking it might be a stupid reason like this. Even if the monitors are available, doesn't necessary means that every developer is buying every kind of equipment existing on the market. But again, it was more of a side comment from me than an excuse.

It's also not working with 120 hz monitors.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think I'll just wait for the first expansion, as recent history shows, Civ games get really flushed out once an expansion comes around and then they start to really shine.

It looks great as a game, but with so many other games to finish, and how easy it is to get lost for long stretches of time, I'm happy with Civ 5 till the expansion.

Yep, I want Civ:BE but I'm waiting too, for the simple reason that I still enjoy playing Civ 5 a great deal and I really don't need a new Civ game yet. I have like 230 hours on Civ 5 and I'm still not tired of it one bit.

Some good impressions in here though, a few details bother me but overall the game sounds great. I really love the look of the game, and a less linear tech tree in the Endless Space web style is a good thing IMHO. I do think a few patches or an expansion are in need though, so I'm not too bothered by waiting. I will certainly be buying it in time however, no question about it.

What is this "first expansion" people are waiting for?
Pretty sure this game will be handled more like Civ: Colonization than a full fledged Civ game. Maybe some faction DLC, but no real expansions. Just a little flavorful stopgap between the big numbered Civ-Games.

Chariot

Pretty sure this game will be handled more like Civ: Colonization than a full fledged Civ game. Maybe some faction DLC, but no real expansions. Just a little flavorful stopgap between the big numbered Civ-Games.
Mind you that Colonisation had Civ IV in name, while Beyound Earth does not.

Dr Dogg

I expect there will be DLC (due to the Exoplanet stuff in preorders) but not a full blown expansion. I see BE as a spin off to the main Civ line and not the next big entry. I mean next year is 5 years since V came out and that's about the length each entry has had between installments since Firaxis got the licence from Microprose's cold, dead hands.

Nzyme32

I expect there will be DLC (due to the Exoplanet stuff in preorders) but not a full blown expansion. I see BE as a spin off to the main Civ line and not the next big entry. I mean next year is 5 years since V came out and that's about the length each entry has had between installments since Firaxis got the licence from Microprose's cold, dead hands.

Wishful thinking on my part... but I want them to do a Civ 6 that allows for the game to be extended beyond the norm, to include Civ BE stuff. Pretty sure that would make the game unbearably long for most but.... come on!

That probably depends on how well it does. But I'm pretty certain they have plans to monetize it with DLC even if there aren't any full sized "expansions."

Dr Dogg

Wishful thinking on my part... but I want them to do a Civ 6 that allows for the game to be extended beyond the norm, to include Civ BE stuff. Pretty sure that would make the game unbearably long for most but.... come on!

jaundicejuice said that something like having a final bit of DLC or a mod to take your finished game in V with a Space Victory into BE would be a great idea but I can see how that would be a fucking headache to work out. Obviously Civ's and Sponsors are different but I suppose you could take over things like how your progress culturally or what doctrines you went down to shape your early game. But yeah with VI at least BE is out there and you could plan for that to make some connection between the two. Saying that I've only managed a couple of hours and 40 or so turns so I've got a lot more playing to see what BE has on offer.

I've only heard voice over for the Wonders.

67bdtswc.jpg

Edit: whoops posted the wrong version.

Yes they do. Only time they did not trigger, was when the stupid advisor (who is also voiced) wants to tell me something.

Oh good.

I'm really doubting it will approach the magnificence of Alpha Centari's world building through tech dialogue, but hopefully its a good game at least.

Facism

she kinda gets on my tits. Not as much as 40-smokes-a-day "Liam Neeson" from civ V, but really grating on my balls.

"My HoooRRRRRRRSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE"

Shaldome

I liked spock, too. Never got into Alpha Centuari, unfortunately. Wondering if it's too dated to jump in now?

I think you would be fine. Quill did a Let's Play not to long ago and it looked fine by me. And graphics is not the main point for such games. You can grab it at GOG if you are interested.

Collecting my thoughts on this after playing most of yesterday and all night. I have the day off and wanted to get down what I thought before getting some rest.

Two things are certainly clear to me.

The first is that the game really needs a balance pass. Internal trade routes are just flat out broken. The majority of the food and industry output of your cities comes from the trade routes, and the majority of the culture and science comes from buildings. Sure, you have some citizens out there working tiles, but it the real benefit of the city is the city itself, and not the land that the city claims or the improvements on that land. Health is very easy to manage in wider empires once you get some technology, and in my current game I have around +30 health and cities everywhere without even trying.

Which brings me to my other point-the game doesn't have an AI setting that is suitable for Immortal or Deity Civ 5 players. Experienced Civ players will roast and toast the AI even on Apollo. Part of that is due to the above trade route abuse, but even without heavily abusing that, the AI is just too passive. You don't need to spend time managing it like you would in Civ 5 on Deity, and in general it lets you do whatever you want without much fuss. The only time it has bite is if you settle too close to Brazilia or ARC. Otherwise it's usually happy to send you caravans and let you simcity as you see fit.

I'm in love with the super dense nature of the game and its turns, but until the above two items are fixed, this game is really just a really enjoyable distraction, and not a skill testing experience.

Top Bottom