• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Super depressed right now. Just saw the gametrailers review, and it sounds like the 2 most important things to me, diplomacy and AI, are basically exactly as shitty and lacking as they were in Civ 5.

Such a dissapointment for me, as I love the early stages of Civ 5 games before you interact a lot with the ai's. But then as the games go on and ai interaction and diplomacy becomes more and more frequent, I just lose interest because of how bad those aspects were in the game. If Civ BE really haven't improved upon the worst aspects of Civ 5, then I think I'm gonna pass on this game, as much as it pains me to do so :(

This definitely feels like a B-Team made this. I'm finding the majority of the UI to be really aesthetically displeasing as well as inferior to Civ 5. It has these rough square borders that give off a very rushed / janky vibe.

Thematically, the game is perfect. From the initial starting choices you make, to the music, the SFX, the aliens, even the writing for the various quests / victory conditions. I was really cynical pre-launch, and I was pretty shocked at the ridiculously high review scores...but the more I play, the more I like it.

Fingers crossed for a couple of expansions...they're going to be really incredible considering how much they changed, improved, and added to Civ 5.

I really love this series and want to play this game, but I may wait until the end of this semester to pick it up. I don't need to be playing 300 hours of Civ in the last month and a half of courses.
One...more...turn. *passes out on keyboard @ 4am, misses class*

Damnit Steam, what the fuck? Did the VPN method and kept getting this error "the steam servers are too busy to handle your rqeust for error code 53". Now I'm locked out from the VPN. Argh!

Civ 5 diplomacy (as of Brave New World) isn't a step down from previous entries in the series. It has nuances and is very much a system where you have to understand how the mechanics work AND you have to spend time in your turns making the right diplomatic plays.

It's actually exceptionally powerful, good diplomatic management is the difference between being able to gobble up half an empire and not have anyone care and getting wrecked by every Civ on the map for extreme warmonger penalties.

Internal trade routes in the early game feel super broken. I went down the industry virtue path and the trade routes (since you can have so many) are basically yielding food and industrial output that new cities shouldn't be able to touch. I'm talking like +33 hammers a turn with a few naval routes. On turn 90.

ST2K

I'm excited and haven't read any reviews. Really hope this game is a good start to something incredible!

Here we go!

Soi-Fong

I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. lol This game "plays" like Civ V, but you cannot treat it like Civ V. If your thought process is Civ V based, you're gonna get your ass kicked.

Keep the initial impressions running guys, its still only 9:30 pm here in CA and I want to get the physical copy! Only hours left now!

giphy.gif

Tain

Resolution problems for me. I have a Swift, if I try to play in fullscreen the resolution dropdown only contains 0x0@0hz regardless of whether gsync is on. No other displays connected. Won't allow me to actually apply and enter fullscreen. Silly shit.

Starviper

Resolution problems for me. I have a Swift, if I try to play in fullscreen the resolution dropdown only contains 0x0@0hz regardless of whether gsync is on. No other displays connected. Won't allow me to actually apply and enter fullscreen. Silly shit.

Yep, I noticed this too. My 144hz monitor in fullscreen doesn't allow 1080p, but Windowed it does.

injurai

Banned
Only got 50 turns in, but everything seems really great so far. Game was running smooth, no bugs.

I think I'm really going to love the tech-web and the affinities. This seems really neat to me.

Serandur

Hm, I just started playing and I'm wondering how do I access demographic information as well as the year? I cannot find either. Thanks.

Arulan

I'm using a 120hz monitor and I can select 1920x1080@119Hz but Vsync is a mess. Just in the main menu it's stuttering between 8.3ms, 16.7ms, 25ms, and 33.3ms. With Vsync off the main menu is showing at consistent 8.3ms when capped to 120.

Anyone else showing similar results?

EDIT: Apparently even when selecting 1920x1080@119Hz and the game launching as such it's still only at 60Hz. Unless you change refresh rates in-game, and back to 119Hz, but you'll have to do this every time you launch it. This also appears to fix Vsync.

Ok this is nothing like SMAC, game is slow slow slow. 13 turns to make one unit. There are no factions, no planetary interludes, no psi combat. Towns can defend it selves now, can't just blitz rovers and Zerg other players. No monoliths?

Quests seem cool, bantering between factions is gone. This game has no personality. Also buggy when running under mantle.

KingK

Well fuck. I can run Civ V on my computer, so I figured I'd be able to handle this on minimum settings and went ahead on bought it. None of the terrain textures other than the ocean tiles load in the game, and there's no strategic view, so it's basically unplayable. I have a laptop so I can't just get a new graphics card. Fuck, looks like I just wasted $50.

Anyone have an estimate of the cheapest PC I could get to run a game like this on medium settings?

Tubie

So good, so so good.

After almost 600 hours on Civ5 it feels so weird coming to this game and not knowing exactly what to do/what paths to follow at the start of a game.

I'm really loving it so far and my GTX570 and i7 seem to be running this even better than they ran Civ5, tho late game will be the real performance test.

Uthred

Was only planning to have a quick go but put in six or seven hours. Enjoying it so far, havent played enough Civ 5 to comment on how different or not it is. The pre-game faction setup is pretty cool, lets you invest/customise in your civilisation. So far my future russian aristocrats who loaded thier colony ships with guns and factories are doing ok.

Violet_0

Banned
finished my first game, Transcendence victory with heavy tech
I won of course but I'm not actually sure I "won". More like doomed mankind

KingK

You sure about this? I loved this view in Civ5

Pretty sure. I went through all of the menus and couldn't find it anywhere.

Now I can't play the game until I get a new computer and I have no fucking clue when I'll be able to afford that. Now I feel like shit for wasting $50.

fleck0

I'm on turn 85, really liking my first game. The amount of quest choices ( I feel like I've had at least 20) are a fun change. Makes my capitol feel pretty specialized as I just begin to expand.

Biggest compaint is the City UI doesn't seem to show what was last built when it asks me to select a new production. Do they really expect me to remember the things I click on!?

oddjobs

It's a shame they didn't get the OSX-version out at the same time. Pre-ordered it on Steam and I've spent a couple of hours now trying to get my PC to run it. Knee deep in installng/uninstalling different versions of vc_redist and all that. I think I'm no longer attuned for PC gaming like I once was.

This definitely feels like a B-Team made this. I'm finding the majority of the UI to be really aesthetically displeasing as well as inferior to Civ 5. It has these rough square borders that give off a very rushed / janky vibe.

Thematically, the game is perfect. From the initial starting choices you make, to the music, the SFX, the aliens, even the writing for the various quests / victory conditions. I was really cynical pre-launch, and I was pretty shocked at the ridiculously high review scores...but the more I play, the more I like it.

Fingers crossed for a couple of expansions...they're going to be really incredible considering how much they changed, improved, and added to Civ 5.

Yup, everything I'm hearing screams Steam Sale to me.

Possibly even next year when both expansion packs are out.

For some reason it won't let me choose 1920x1080 as a resolution, even though I use it for all my other games, as well as my desktop resolution, and pretty much everything. Anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

Top Bottom