• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Dylan

Just started the game up for the first time, intro movie was incredible (I'm guessing it was pre-rendered) but now I've got a problem, the graphics seems to be stuck on Low? I have a GTX Titan, I want to be on Ultra but when I set it to Ultra and restart the game it goes back to Low again. Is this the nvidia problem you guys were talking about earlier?

My problem was that the game failed to detect my GPU. I had to go into NVidia control panel to set it manually. I have a dual integrated/dedicated setup though, so if you only have the one GPU it may not be a similar problem.

- So far disliking all the "arbitrary" choices. ..... Here, it's just "Do you want Health or Production? Do you want +1 this or +1 that?" I get the feeling that min/maxing is the way to play this game, and so far, it seems like they could have just asked you how you want to build your faction from Turn 1, and then made all the decisions automatically for you.

I'd agree that maybe they're trying a bit too hard to throw in lots of min-max choices, but the benefit to doing it on the fly, in game, is it allows you to react to map conditions.

One of my biggest complaints with Civ V is how it seems almost every civilization was tailored to specific map conditions, and if you didn't get that sort of map upon load you were kind of worthless. Then you feel like a jackass reloading the map until you get something that matches your civ.

Dylan

woo, the game should arrive next week.

it's basically my first Civ. I'm probably going to play online multiplayer the most but I wouldn't like too much to have matches there that last for something like 3-4 hours. I hope that you can rush things in some specific maps or with some strategies? :v

I haven't tried multiplayer in BE, but as a Civ vet, I would strongly urge you to play at least an entire single player game before you go into multiplayer.

Multiplayer in Civ can be fun (especially if you play with people in the same room/house as you with beers and possibly fistfights over military backstabbings), but it's generally accepted to be kind of broken compared to the single player game.

Eyeh4wk

As someone who relied heavily on the strategic view of Civ V, I'm disappointed that this doesn't have it. Also the city screen UI suck balls.

Finalow

I haven't tried multiplayer in BE, but as a Civ vet, I would strongly urge you to play at least an entire single player game before you go into multiplayer.

Multiplayer in Civ can be fun (especially if you play with people in the same room/house as you with beers and possibly fistfights over military backstabbings), but it's generally accepted to be kind of broken compared to the single player game.
yes of course, I'm not going to jump into competitive multiplayer until I know how to properly play the game, and probably not before I find a decent build/strategy.

Ogimachi

Is there a hotkey for the hex grid? "G" isn't working. I know the eye icon has it, but it sucks that G does nothing and there seems to be no key for it.

KorrZ

I'm confused as to why some people don't think this is getting expansions. This is pretty much Civ VI. It's not some expansion or standalone DLC for Civ V. This is the Civ that we're going to have for the next couple of years.
They'd be in a worse situation if they just went with a generic Civ VI with historical figures, because there's only so much you can do with that setting. People would be calling it a mod even more than it is already. What else could they even change with the regular setting? At least with this we get more flexible tech trees and customization paths and a change of scenery.

I feel like an actual CIV 6 would make more drastic changes. Civ:Beyond Earth is very much an expanded CIV 5 in terms of the base gameplay and systems. I really don't think the setting is a limiting factor at all.

I'd agree that maybe they're trying a bit too hard to throw in lots of min-max choices, but the benefit to doing it on the fly, in game, is it allows you to react to map conditions.

One of my biggest complaints with Civ V is how it seems almost every civilization was tailored to specific map conditions, and if you didn't get that sort of map upon load you were kind of worthless. Then you feel like a jackass reloading the map until you get something that matches your civ.

Pretty much my thoughts. Ever try playing Egypt without serious Hammer availability from the word go? It's miserable. BE offers a lot more early-game flexibility.

BearPawB

Banned
Anyone have tips on how to not have things go to mostly shit once you go on the offensive?

I conquered 2 cities from a neighbor, but my health is now like -10, and hasn't shown any signs of improving.

How do I know when it is a good time to take someone over? And It feels weird to there being such a downside for wiping someone off the map.

Dylan

It should be stated that Civ V biased your starting location based on your Civ choice (so long as you didn't toggle it off). But yeah, I do welcome the change here, if not for anything other than it's different.

Pagusas

Elden Member
my feeling so far, from someone who has been with Civilization sense 2, and feels Alpha Centuri was the best game in the series:

1. This feels like Alpha Centuri lite. Lots of nastalga, but a lot of weird things that feel missing or done in a way that is more complicated. Like unit upgrades, they are nice but seem poorly implemented, where as alpha centuri you could literally built your own units.

2. I am very annoyed by how little "text" there is in the game. By this I mean it feels with each Civ they have racheted down the amount of information/details/explanation/faction bios/end game text, ext. Its come to a head in this game where I feel like you basically get a "congratulations you won" end game. What happen to those nice long end game explanations? Why cant they autogenerate a brief "history of your game" text. It doesnt need to be super complex, hell template it out somehow, but give us SOMETHING! A nice little firework to end your game on.

3. I really REALLY like the aliens, a great addition that instantly makes every turn feel like something is happening.

4. I hate Harmony, fucking bastards. I think I'll intentionally always destroy all aliens just to spite them.

Anyone have tips on how to not have things go to mostly shit once you go on the offensive?

I conquered 2 cities from a neighbor, but my health is now like -10, and hasn't shown any signs of improving.

How do I know when it is a good time to take someone over? And It feels weird to there being such a downside for wiping someone off the map.

2 options: 1, raze the cities, 2, start building +health stuff.

Dylan

You should be pre-emptively juicing your health before you start taking over cities so that you don't go into the negatives.

I think AC was Brian Reynold's vision. There's little chance that BE could have been a true successor.

Dismayed at the UI complaints. CiV seemed to be about perfect, imho.

Nzyme32

As someone who relied heavily on the strategic view of Civ V, I'm disappointed that this doesn't have it. Also the city screen UI suck balls.

I have been zooming out and using the "eye" symbol at the top left of the map, to toggle resources and other stats to make things easier now and then, but apparently they felt it didn't work to have the strat view in this game

Tukker

Wow aliens are really a bitch in this game. I have 3 roaming around my first city and I lost my initial explorer already lol.

I think AC was Brian Reynold's vision. There's little chance that BE could have been a true successor.

Dismayed at the UI complaints. CiV seemed to be about perfect, imho.
I don't think people are complaining about the style of the UI, it's the usability/information that's the issue.

Example:

In CiV, when you finishing building something it tells you: what you just built, what you can build and food/hammers/science/gold/culture generated by the city.

In BE, when you finish building something, it tells you what you can build.

Quite a difference. Of course in BE, you can click on a city to get the same food/hammers/science/gold/culture information, but you have to do it each and every time.

Chariot

Wow aliens are really a bitch in this game. I have 3 roaming around my first city and I lost my initial explorer already lol.
I know, right? At my first try I tried to expand fast, but my explorer and settlers were eaten by aliens. Then my soldiers were eaten by aliens. And if I didn't close the game at that moment, they surely would've taken my jewbs too.

RoyalFool

Banned
Been playing this most of the day.

It's just Civ V dipped into a sci-fi sauce, while they've made a lot of changes - none of them are deep enough to offer anything fundamentally different from Civ V, which is a shame and to be honest a wasted opportunity.

I remember the jump from Civ 3 > 4 and then 5 was pretty epic, and I felt a lot of the underlying code had been rewritten - especially the AI behaviours, but even after a few games of this I'm already recognizing the exact same quirks and traits the Civ V A.I displayed, to the extent where I feel I've already done a lot of this before already and just going through the motions again.

Oh well, at least I've got two options when I want to scratch my Civ itch now, but was hoping to find a successor rather than a re-skin.

Qassim

The aesthetics of the UI are pretty horrible too, the font, the UI elements, it is something that has stuck out to me since I first saw it. :/

Danj

My problem was that the game failed to detect my GPU. I had to go into NVidia control panel to set it manually. I have a dual integrated/dedicated setup though, so if you only have the one GPU it may not be a similar problem.

I had to try a few times but it seems the Ultra setting has stuck now. Enjoying the game so far, though I wish there were different voices available for the ADVISR, this nobby toff is getting on my nerves.

RoyalFool

Banned
I don't really mind the interface, was expecting it to stick out like a sore thumb considering the number of comments on here about it but personally I think it's fine, Civ games interfaces have always felt a bit makeshift and celotaped together.

The music is amazeballs, hope they have a OST.

Tukker

I know, right? At my first try I tried to expand fast, but my explorer and settlers were eaten by aliens. Then my soldiers were eaten by aliens. And if I didn't close the game at that moment, they surely would've taken my jewbs too.

Haha yea they take some getting used to, I lost a soldier to them already too by now :D.

Seriously. So very, very much worse than Barbarians.

I loves it.

Barbarians are cake compared to these guys :D.

Pooya

first impressions;

-intro CG looked really good. If you told me this is Hans Zimmer I would have believed you...
-no touch support, noooooooo I have to sit. Is it coming later though?
-Spent the first hour just figuring out the UI, it's a mess. Civ5 was way more cleaner. The icons are just not very good still. They could use some colors too. AoW3 UI was very well done among recent 4x games, coming from there to here was bad. haven't touched civ5 for some time too.

Really digging the setting though, I've been waiting for this. Maybe they stick with it for an expack and add more flavor to it, couldn't care less about a civ6 right now.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Is there still a way to get it 20% off or more? My paycheck wasn't transferred until this morning, otherwise I would have hopped on the deals yesterday.

Chariot

Is there still a way to get it 20% off or more? My paycheck wasn't transferred until this morning, otherwise I would have hopped on the deals yesterday.
Check your PM's, I hope the code still works after the launch. I got this after their mistake of giving the Pre-Sequel instead of Beyond Earth.

ctothej

What is this "first expansion" people are waiting for?
Pretty sure this game will be handled more like Civ: Colonization than a full fledged Civ game. Maybe some faction DLC, but no real expansions. Just a little flavorful stopgap between the big numbered Civ-Games.

In the Reddit AMA, they basically confirmed there will be expansions if the game sells well. I'm sure it will given how popular Civ 5 is.

The main team was presumably doing Beyond Earth. A smaller team doing the Civ 5 content, they just finished Brave New World mid last year they probably have been rolled into Beyond Earth or Civ Rev 2 on mobile rather than straight on Civ VI.

Since Civ 3, the lead designer of the expansions has always directed the next mainline title. Ed Helms, who designed G&K and BNW, is almost certainly working on Civ 6 by now. I'd wager most of the Civ team has been working on Civ 6 since BNW, if Firaxis is aiming for a 2016 or 2017 release. Beyond Earth didn't require a big team since it used Civ 5's engine and core gameplay mechanics.

GMG's VIP section probably still has CivBE for 25% off, if not there's probably a 20% off coupon floating around. GMG always has a deal.

I watched my roommate play with that and the battles seemed very fiddly. The differences between races were really cool though, so I'm looking forward to getting it next year when I have more time. As far as 4X goes Age of Wonders 3 was probably the best release this year but I've barely played it... And I'll probably spend more time in this simply due to it being a more popular multiplayer game.

Age of Wonders 3 is one of the most impressive releases of the year, 4X or not. Although I'm still waiting for my CivBE copy to be delivered, I suspect it will not change this ranking. Endless Legend's rough edges and some odd design decisions prevent it from reaching the same heights as the others - though the style and core concept alone make it worth playing. Basically, buy every 4X this year... starting with Age of Wonders 3, 'Tis a bountiful year.

In the Reddit AMA, they basically confirmed there will be expansions if the game sells well. I'm sure it will given how popular Civ 5 is.
Sorry, I don't understand this logic.

I mean, wouldn't the high sales of Civ5 increase CivBE's chances to do well? With the engine, style, and concept, CivBE is practically "What If? Civilization 5: Alien Earth"

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Check your PM's, I hope the code still works after the launch. I got this after their mistake of giving the Pre-Sequel instead of Beyond Earth.

"Unable to add voucher"

Thanks, anyways!

I'll keep looking. The Halloween code on GMG doesn't work for it, either (as expected).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Something that drives me crazy is when a civ asks you for something through diplomacy, and you can't look at the map.

In the beginning of the game, I have no idea where they are. Later in the game, I want to know exactly where there armies are and whatnot if they are asking for something like open borders.

Nope. I have to decide then and there what my answer is with zero information.

I think Civ5 had the same problem.

I'm at about turn 90 now, really enjoying it. I'm playing on Mercury, standard everything. There's a TON of hostile aliens around my capital. It's tough to explore, and by the time I get anywhere, rival civs are yelling at me for hunting in their area and for killing the wildlife.

I'm enjoying it a ton though, feels like I have to play really smart just to expand given all the hostility.

I feel like I'm just guessing my way through the tech tree, I imagine once I play it a few times I'll have a better sense of direction in the tech web and be more efficient in the early game.

"Unable to add voucher"

Thanks, anyways!

I'll keep looking. The Halloween code on GMG doesn't work for it, either (as expected).

If you wait two days, you can get it at Best Buy and get GCU for $30. That'll give you 20% off new games for two years, including Civ BE. Yeah, it's not saving you money up front, but you only need to spend $150 on new games over the course of two years to come out even.

injurai

Banned
Something that drives me crazy is when a civ asks you for something through diplomacy, and you can't look at the map.

In the beginning of the game, I have no idea where they are. Later in the game, I want to know exactly where there armies are and whatnot if they are asking for something like open borders.

Nope. I have to decide then and there what my answer is with zero information.

I think Civ5 had the same problem.

never negotiate with terrorists

Why do we still live in a world where the trade dialogue screen shuts out all your important statistics (currency, health, resources, etc.) so you can't tell if the 3 energy Suzannah wants is chump change or 50% of your income?

holy shit aliens are setting in this game. I like it. but damn those siege worms, they are brutal.

Why do we still live in a world where the trade dialogue screen shuts out all your important statistics (currency, health, resources, etc.) so you can't tell if the 3 energy Suzannah wants is chump change or 50% of your income?
this is the thing that bugs me the most

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
If you wait two days, you can get it at Best Buy and get GCU for $30. That'll give you 20% off new games for two years, including Civ BE. Yeah, it's not saving you money up front, but you only need to spend $150 on new games over the course of two years to come out even.

Thanks, but Best Buy is a bit far from me, and I tend to go digital-only these days.

Plus, I'm already downloading BE. 37.49 is perfectly fine, only a few bucks more than Endless Legend and cheaper than the new Age of Wonders.

BearPawB

Banned
Random thoughts:

I like giving the explorer other things to do. It encourages having more than one.

Miasma is something that COULD have been annoying, but it actually really encourages good positioning.

Leveling up your units is fun. Although it seems like i couldn't imagine anyone picking some of the other choices.

Top Bottom