• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Aww yeah. Been waiting for this game ever since it was announced. Wasn't the biggest fan of Alpha Centauri (but then I didn't play it till after I played Civ V) but this game looks phenomenal D:

HARMONY HERE I COME.

Myggen

Last minute review embargo doesn't exactly scream confidence :/

As long as reviewers actually get review copies of the game ahead of time, last minute review embargos don't have to mean much. It's games where publishers don't send out review copies you really have to worry about.

Hasney

May not grab this until I get through some of the console releases.... I'll never get around to them if this is installed. But sooooon...

valouris

Really interested in this, but I'll wait for veteran players impressions to see if I jump in yet or not. Definite purchase in sales period either way.

Shengar

Aww yeah. Been waiting for this game ever since it was announced. Wasn't the biggest fan of Alpha Centauri (but then I didn't play it till after I played Civ V) but this game looks phenomenal D:

HARMONY HERE I COME.

Yes, we need to coexist with xenos
There's no need for another Imperium of Man in space.

fresquito

Aww, I'm so excited to try this out. I've blocked myself from reviews and media because, well, I know it will not be a bad game. I don't expect it to be as rounded as CivV: BNW with the latests patch, but I hope the surprise factor will compensate that.

nampad

Never thought I would say this but if the Mac version would release day and date, I would buy it right away.
My Macbook is not really used for gaming but this game would be ideal. It would run fairly well and playing Civ lying in bed sounds great.

Don't like being stuck at my desktop and Bootcamp is annoying.

Chariot

Yes, we need to coexist with xenos
There's no need for another Imperium of Man in space.
Preposterous. The Homo sapiens was bred by the breath of god. What ever these ugly demons are, they're not from Eden. Man shall rise, man shall rule.

spiritfox

Preposterous. The Homo sapiens was bred by the breath of god. What ever these ugly demons are, they're not from Eden. Man shall rise, man shall rule.

Please. Embrace our electronic overlords. Shed your weak human body for superior steel and cyberflesh.

One thing I didn't mention in the OP, but should be clear to anyone who's watched a LP of the game-the soundtrack (free with the game) is more or less INSANE.

http://www.civilization.com/en/news/2014-10-soundtrack-included-with-beyond-earth-purchase/

(Two tracks linked there, but I've heard more via youtube LPs and it's all top shelf stuff).

So if you're like me and turn off the music in your turn based games so you can listen to spotify, might want to rethink that for this one. Once it is unlocked you can get to the soundtrack via:

[drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Sounds\Streamed\Music

Excited to try this, firstly because I never ended up getting BNW for Civ V, and I love the futuristic theme. Plus, the tech web over linear progression? Aw yiss.

Skux

Oh wow thanks for letting me know about the GMG deal, that's a big saving and enough for me to preorder.

Nzyme32

OP - Steam Workshop you say?!?! First I've heard of this!

Sorry folks, no Space Gandhi.
WiF2S6J.jpg

Totally going to be DLC / already in the game in some incarnation / added via Workshop

Aww man, I've literally just started getting into Civ V after getting the DLC for it.

Such a great game.

Will wait for next years Steam sale.

Nzyme32

One thing I didn't mention in the OP, but should be clear to anyone who's watched a LP of the game-the soundtrack (free with the game) is more or less INSANE.

http://www.civilization.com/en/news/2014-10-soundtrack-included-with-beyond-earth-purchase/

(Two tracks linked there, but I've heard more via youtube LPs and it's all top shelf stuff).

So if you're like me and turn off the music in your turn based games so you can listen to spotify, might want to rethink that for this one. Once it is unlocked you can get to the soundtrack via:

[drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Sounds\Streamed\Music

Geoff Knorr, Michael Curran and Grant Kirkhope

That is a great line up!!

Pre-ordered this ages ago when it first showed up on Amazon for £25! Can't play it until postie drops it off tomorrow around 10ish (I hope). But I'll be playing this right from the off. Destiny will be on holiday for a while, I think.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
When i saw the OT, i thought it was out :(
Instead, it's still 25h away!

Shaldome

Well I guess this weekend will be shorter than usual. I think I will start with standard difficulty and work my way up after the first round.
One thing I have to get used to is, that you are somewhat forced to go to war at sometime during the game. But this does not have to be a bad thing for me. Maybe I can learn something for my Civ games, which I usually play in a more pacifist/defensive way.

Realyn

Well I guess this weekend will be shorter than usual. I think I will start with standard difficulty and work my way up after the first round.
One thing I have to get used to is, that you are somewhat forced to go to war at sometime during the game. But this does not have to be a bad thing for me. Maybe I can learn something for my Civ games, which I usually play in a more pacifist/defensive way.

The top 2 difficulty levels basically got cut. Apollo is around Civ 5 Emperor.

valouris

What? Why? I get that they were sometimes unfair or impossible (I presume), but it was nice that they were there. Also made me feel really bad when I couldn't win around level 4-5. Felt nice that there was such room for difficulty hence improvement ahead.

Do you know what the reasoning was?

Realyn

What? Why? I get that they were sometimes unfair or impossible (I presume), but it was nice that they were there. Also made me feel really bad when I couldn't win around level 4-5. Felt nice that there was such room for difficulty hence improvement ahead.

Do you know what the reasoning was?

I can't tell you why exactly, no.

But I would assume because Deity was pretty much bullshit. For the record, it was the only difficulty level I played on. But from a gameplay point it was cheap. Very cheap. Let's say you are playing on a large map with 14 civs and try to win by domination. Sure, one in a hundred times it might work(not counting reloading). Early wonders? Not possible. For every additional difficulty level the AI gets one extra free tech. That's the reason why stuff like GL is impossible to get. Then of course you'll need to get lucky with huts and natural wonders. Only 1 map hut? Well good luck. Then you'll need to get lucky to find a city state to level up your units. Aaand so on.

My point being, Deity had a very limited set of choices and maps you could play it on. And even when you make all the correct ones you can have a runaway AI on the other continent with like 200 units. You can't invade them. You simply can't.

Immortal on the other hand was pretty relaxing for good players. I would say that you were able to win a good 90% of your games without reloading if you knew what you are doing.

There's only one data point for that claim, and it kind of goes against what was in the AMA. I'm not sold on the lop-off of Immortal/Deity just yet.

This is pretty easy to mod back in, assuming that the underlying engine's configuration files are similar. I would expect that Firaxis will add it back in, Deity level play is something that is good for the game in general because it gives people something to strive for, even if they can't beat it themselves.

Edit: The thing about Deity was that, while it was a huge pile of bullshit, it was the only thing that produced really interesting games for me. The AI needed that monster head start, BUT it needed that head start because science in Civ 5 is so horrifically fucking broken that players would otherwise leave the AI in the dust after about turn 160 or so.

That's an amazing unit.

It's great. According to some of their streams, stuff like the Rocktopus and Firaxite were pretty much just placeholder names that they forgot to change. But even so, I don't think topping "Rocktopus" would be possible if they tried.

squall23

I am upset that so many people fail to see the light of Harmony. I feel their tune may change after I unleash my legion of Rocktopuses.

Rocktopus2_%28CivBE%29.jpg
That sounds like heresy to me.

Seriously though, I've always hated the idea of a singularity. Nothing wrong with blending and accepting. In fact, I love the idea of Harmony EXCEPT it's victory method.

Top Bottom