• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

PCWorld -9.0

I think this game is more or less reviewing about where I thought it would. One thing I'm noting as I read the reviews-people who are versed in literary scifi adore the game's use of it, while those who might not have as much exposure (like the IGN reviewer) do struggle with how the thematic elements manifest in the game (such as in the tech web).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
and gone are the big game ending unstoppable techs like atomic weapons and stealth bombers.

So... this isn't Alpha Centauri 2 which everyone wan--

Things are different. Keep an open mind and try new things out. No one is going to call Civ: BE revolutionary, but no one is going to call it Alpha Centauri 2 either.

--Oh. Guess I'll wait for a Steam sale (or hopefully Fireaxis finally puts up a demo of one of their Civs on Steam) to try it. :/ I really wanted an Alpha Centauri 2, but I guess this isn't it. :/

The new tech tree system sounds interesting at least. I really wish Civ would've broke from "trees" earlier. Being able to pick and choose (if I'm reading this right) what you want to research earlier/later is nice.

King_Moc

Banned
Decent reviews, it looks like. I went physical on this. I think I just found civ 5's tech tree insert handy. Though that new Web system makes it look like it might not be necessary.

I've been wanting a good planetary colonization game for years. I'm a little worried about it being too hard for me, particularly combat with other factions though. Long battles of attrition are not my strong suit.

Chariot

I've been wanting a good planetary colonization game for years. I'm a little worried about it being too hard for me, particularly combat with other factions though. Long battles of attrition are not my strong suit.
Just start with an easy difficulty, the AI can barely scratch you there. Civ has difficulties for everyone.
When I play Civilization it's basically like I step into a wormhole that transports me 8 hours into the future.
Well said.

Xando

Civ games are mostly pretty easy if you start on easy(settler i think) for your first few games.
Plus its round based so you can take as much time as you want with research/building and commanding your units.

I warn you though, when Civ takes over time flies :p

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Civ games are mostly pretty easy if you start on easy(settler i think) for your first few games.
Plus its round based so you can take as much time as you want with research/building and commanding your units.

I think it's called "Sputnik" here. But, yes, you can scale back and make this super approachable with a difficulty swap and more friendly planet choice.

--Oh. Guess I'll wait for a Steam sale (or hopefully Fireaxis finally puts up a demo of one of their Civs on Steam) to try it. :/ I really wanted an Alpha Centauri 2, but I guess this isn't it. :/

Yeah, it is more modern Civilzation than Alpha Centauri, for sure. Especially thematically, the faction differences in Civ:BE are much more muted than in SMAC (where the leaders had severe ideological differences that were irreconciliable), and some things like the social engineering options and the unit builder are not items that the modern-day Firaxis is going to put into a game.

Usually when people say they want a SMAC sequel they are talking in terms of faction thematics and certain key features like multilevel terrain terraforming/unit design/tunable civic options.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, it is more modern Civilzation than Alpha Centauri, for sure. Especially thematically, the faction differences in Civ:BE are much more muted than in SMAC (where the leaders had severe ideological differences that were irreconciliable), and some things like the social engineering options and the unit builder are not items that the modern-day Firaxis is going to put into a game.

Usually when people say they want a SMAC sequel they are talking in terms of faction thematics and certain key features like multilevel terrain terraforming/unit design/tunable civic options.

I want to be able to nuke the planet after being a tree hugger for the entire game and have mindworms come out to screw everyone (including me) over if I don't sink the entire planet underwater.

The amount of options you had for SMAC was insane. This kinda sounds like an Sci-Fi expansion pack with rebalance/retooling for Civ5. Which is fine... but not really what I wanted when they initially announced it. :/

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hopefully someone more familiar with pc specs can help me. I want to play this on my older laptop. The CPU and RAM are definitely more than enough for this game; the only point of contention is my GPU. The recommended specs say AMD Radeon HD 5000 series or better. I have an HD 5870. Will this allow me to play at 1080p 30-60fps if my GPU meets the recommended spec and everything else outstrips it?

Thanks.

d1rtn4p

I tend to trust TB's reviews quite a bit and I couldn't help but get a negative undertone from his...Seems his summary is that it's a good Civ V clone, but the theme/mechanics that made AC great aren't there.

Will this game be my new alpha centauri

If you consider Alpha Centauri to be an interesting deviation from Civilization, yet obviously a spin off of the franchise, then yes it will.

If you're looking for a continuation of ideas and mechanics introduced in Alpha Centauri, then no, it won't.

Wes

venison crêpe
Affinity system and the change to emphasis in the first 70 turns sounds like they've been warmly received.

I tend to trust TB's reviews quite a bit and I couldn't help but get a negative undertone from his...Seems his summary is that it's a good Civ V clone, but the theme/mechanics that made AC great aren't there.

I'm about 20 minutes through his video, and it feels that he's trying to push a narrative right now. I was fine with his negative overtones, until he started making complaints based on misinformation (tried launching a satellite then started complaining that he couldn't tell that he couldn't launch it, even though he did launch it.)

Just start with an easy difficulty, the AI can barely scratch you there. Civ has difficulties for everyone.Well said.

OK I will take your advice and go with easy for my first play. Thanks.

Gothos

I gave it 7.5 in my review. Imho it's mostly reskinned CivV and the new gameplay elements (doctrines, quests, new tech tree) have little impact on the gameplay. I would buy it only if one still craves for more CivV gameplay and if one feels jaded with it (like me, after 276 hours of played CivV) then you can safely skip it, imho.

DEO3

Review consensus seems to be that it's a about a 4/5. Lots of cool new stuff, but some old frustrations with the series remain such as diplomacy (my personal pet peeve), AI, and a late game that get bogged down in complexity. Generally, if you've been following the pre-release coverage, it's exactly what you expect the game to be, as Firaxis certainly hasn't been shy when it comes to showing it off - you probably already know by now whether you're going to love it or hate it. Fortunately for me, I fall into the former, so I can't wait. I'm planning on going to sleep early tonight so that I can wake up at like 4:00a tomorrow and get in a solid 5 hours before work.

Goddamn. Just saw that it still doesn't have Borderless Windowed mode. Has anyone ever given a legitimate reason NOT to include this feature in a game? I mean, I understand that it impacts performance, but isn't that the whole point of PC gaming? :[

epmode

Goddamn. Just saw that it still doesn't have Borderless Windowed mode. Has anyone ever given a legitimate reason NOT to include this feature in a game? I mean, I understand that it impacts performance, but isn't that the whole point of PC gaming? :[

The other cool thing about PC gaming is that there are workarounds for lots of stuff. Like borderless windows!

I'm not at home so I can't provide my exact solution but you can download scripts that allow you to switch virtually any windowed game into borderless fullscreen. Works perfectly for me.

Can't wait for noon, going to VPN this for that early unlock.

Yeah, I just set up a free VPN for the first time. I'll try connecting to Japan when this unlocks.

DEO3

This going to support DSR? Hope to take advantage of it for my 780 Ti.

Civ V does, so I'm sure this will as well. But be warned, in Civ V the UI gets smaller and smaller the higher and higher you go, so if you have a small-ish screen like I do then there's a limit to how high of a resolution you can run before the UI is just too tiny.

Top Bottom