• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Nzyme32

Did the IGN guy seriously put "Annoying Aliens" into the negative bracket?

Seems like the reviewer just treated the Aliens as Barbarians, and then get annoyed that this results in more aggressive Alien subsets. Seems like an odd complaint, but having not played the game, I can't really argue properly yet.

The other cool thing about PC gaming is that there are workarounds for lots of stuff. Like borderless windows!

I'm not at home so I can't provide my exact solution but you can download scripts that allow you to switch virtually any windowed game into borderless fullscreen. Works perfectly for me.

Yeah I already have a program that I use for putting Skyrim into BWM, just irritating that we have to use those kinds of things. Especially with games like Civ where being able to alt tab and google something about the game is incredibly useful for new players.

Sevenfold

If this had just been a complete reskin of Civ 5 it would probably warrant another 340 hours of play, after reading some reviews and watching LPs I'm wondering how long it will be before this knocks Civ 5 off my most played spot. These last few hours are killing me.

sanhora

You can get this for $38 from here! http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

Seems like a good time to use dem playfire credits. Thank you based GMG.

yA6TCTW.jpg

Soi-Fong

Civ V does, so I'm sure this will as well. But be warned, in Civ V the UI gets smaller and smaller the higher and higher you go, so if you have a small-ish screen like I do then there's a limit to how high of a resolution you can run before the UI is just too tiny.

Don't get this at all.. I really wonder why Ui doesnt scale with resolution. Sims 4 has the same problem.

RulkezX

So if I was to use a VPN to unlock this tonight , how does it work in Steam , set to offline mode or ?

Are Valve not assholes about this sorta stuff ? Have people had their accounts banned ?

robotrock

Banned
Civ V does, so I'm sure this will as well. But be warned, in Civ V the UI gets smaller and smaller the higher and higher you go, so if you have a small-ish screen like I do then there's a limit to how high of a resolution you can run before the UI is just too tiny.

there's no UI scale?

Kiyo

So if I was to use a VPN to unlock this tonight , how does it work in Steam , set to offline mode or ?

Are Valve not assholes about this sorta stuff ? Have people had their accounts banned ?

Valve are not assholes about it. Lots of people have been doing it for quite a few different games for years. Valve only has a problem with it if you start using VPNs to buy games from other regions for lower prices.

As for how to do it, you just login to your Steam with the VPN on, let it unlock the game, and start the game up. Once you're in the game you can turn off the VPN.

RulkezX

Valve are not assholes about it. Lots of people have been doing it for quite a few different games for years. Valve only has a problem with it if you start using VPNs to buy games from other regions for lower prices.

As for how to do it, you just login to your Steam with the VPN on, let it unlock the game, and start the game up. Once you're in the game you can turn off the VPN.

Thanks for the reply. I've done this plenty on Origin, I just thought I had read Valve were ban happy about it on Steam.

Guess I'll be playing it tonight then :)

epmode

there's no UI scale?

I believe there is some kind of UI scaling. It's not a slider or anything but Civ 5 has this:

"Use Small Scale Interface"

When this option is unchecked, the game looks fine for me at 2560x1600 (unlike games with no UI scaling). So I assume it's doing SOMETHING. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I haven't tested with downsampling.

I want to get hyped about this like I got hyped about Civ V but I can’t help but feel like this is just a retexture or a DLC pack like brave new world. Is this really a new game?

That sounds like heresy to me.

Seriously though, I've always hated the idea of a singularity. Nothing wrong with blending and accepting. In fact, I love the idea of Harmony EXCEPT it's victory method.

This is my reaction to Supremacy. I love the idea of transhumanism... but going brain-in-a-jar and conquering Earth? No, thanks. I hope it's not too hard to find that fragment needed to pursue a Contact victory... seems like the best victory so far to me.

I want to get hyped about this like I got hyped about Civ V but I can’t help but feel like this is just a retexture or a DLC pack like brave new world. Is this really a new game?

Yes it's a new game. It completely changes the vast majority of systems such as how civs work, technology, diplomacy and culture, whilst having a completely different set of units. The only things that are going to be identical to Civilization V is the hexes and 1UPT. Everything else has been changed in some way. Even barbarians function completely different to how they did in Civ V.

Damn, only 30fps for the 6850.. That while Civ5 runs on 60 easily.

Feeling a bit worried about playing this on my laptop with a 640M now.

Did the IGN guy seriously put "Annoying Aliens" into the negative bracket?

Seems like the reviewer just treated the Aliens as Barbarians, and then get annoyed that this results in more aggressive Alien subsets. Seems like an odd complaint, but having not played the game, I can't really argue properly yet.

That and that "no personality" bullshit again... Funny they didn't use that as a knock on Civilization V, which is far blander than BE and actually surprised me coming off of its quirky predecessor.

Strider

I've seen hours of footage and I know I'll enjoy this more than Civ V which I've put a bunch of time into since I got it in the summer sale.

Downloading the Nvidia drivers right now... HYPE

Xando

Anyone ever tried unlocking steam games early via fly-vpn? does it work or do i have to get a private vpn solution?

I'm really looking forward to this. Harmony forever!

Shame about the map pack DLC though - I really hope they back away from such silly DLC in the future.

Nzyme32

That and that "no personality" bullshit again... Funny they didn't use that as a knock on Civilization V, which is far blander than BE and actually surprised me coming off of its quirky predecessor.

There are a couple of the low scoring reviews that share the sentiment that they have "no idea" what tech to choose or that the choices are not obvious as to whether they will be the most advantageous or not. To me that misses the point of why I'd want to play the game.

Whereas Civ games are always routed in history, the advantages of decisions and research are more obvious. But in an uncertain future, I want the opposite and to see if I can make my weird choices work for my goals. In the end, it is my story of how the future goes.

Knowing what perks / bonus stats etc the research / choices give is important, but knowing what I miss or what that unlocks ahead would take away from the fun of exploring an unknown future. I worry that the replayability may be effected if the options available due to firaxis' creativity are not good enough though. With other Civ games, we already know the majority of what we can do, and the fun comes in exploring the variety of ways to achieve a goal. This may be very different in BE

I'm not sure if I want this. When I play Civ5 I typically use a mod to stop tech progress before the Atomic Era. Normally I'll have it stop in the Industrial Era but I'm currently playing a Huge 22 civ Domination-only complete kill Prince game as Rome with tech stopped in the Classical Era.

I love long haul games, slugging it out for hours and hours. I don't know how I feel about there being only 8 civs and it being future tech with CivBE.

Those screenshots look like the game was made in 2002 or something. What the hell?

Firaxis hears your complaints and wants to let you know that they Civ 6 design will feature a cinematic third person action game mode so that you can finish the game in four hours and then trade it in at gamestop. They are doing their best to ensure that the game is indeed GAF GOTY material.

Dr Dogg

Damn my GPU is really starting to hold me back, my i7 3770 is still a beast tho.

You did me well GTX570, but I might have to replace you soon.

Well looking at the charts there it seems in and around the same as Civ V but a little more demanding on the GPU side (there's benches from AnandTech and Guru that tear down Civ V so fingers crossed Beyoned Earth might get the same for direct comparison).

But saying that a friend of mine plays Civ V on his Surface Pro native. It's in and around 30fps and a lot of settings turned down (apparently gets a bit slower come late game) but running at 1920x1080 as well as it's really good to use touch controls and more importantly it's portable full fat Civ!

Yeah, this is really bad design for a military shooter in 2014, you can barely see the muslims you have to shoot.

Firaxis hears your complaints and wants to let you know that they Civ 6 design will feature a cinematic third person action game mode so that you can finish the game in four hours and then trade it in at gamestop. They are doing their best to ensure that the game is indeed GAF GOTY material.

Who said only military shooters had to look good? Hell, even Civilization 5 looks better. When you see games that do an incredible job at 2D menus (e.g. Destiny, Path of Exile) I think Civilization Beyond Earth could look better.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I gave it 7.5 in my review. Imho it's mostly reskinned CivV and the new gameplay elements (doctrines, quests, new tech tree) have little impact on the gameplay. I would buy it only if one still craves for more CivV gameplay and if one feels jaded with it (like me, after 276 hours of played CivV) then you can safely skip it, imho.

How does it compare to Civ IV? I skipped Civ V so I probably won't be feeling that Civ V fatigue.

I don't know, I'm having trouble finding any sort desire to want to pick this up @ $50.

And I say that as someone with thousands of hours dumped into the Civ series.

Chariot

Who said only military shooters had to look good? Hell, even Civilization 5 looks better. When you see games that do an incredible job at 2D menus (e.g. Destiny, Path of Exile) I think Civilization Beyond Earth could look better.
You missed my point. I think that Civ 5 looks good and I think that Beyond eart looks it. If anything, it looks a little bit too much like 5, but by no means bad or worse.
I don't know, I'm having trouble finding any sort desire to want to pick this up @ $50.

And I say that as someone with thousands of hours dumped into the Civ series.
Well, today is your lucky day. Go to greenmangaming, login or create an account and buy it for 37 Dollar something in VIP.

lt519

I wish it were available for Linux right now. All I have on travel with me is my chromebook with Ubuntu. This thread is killllling me.

Gothos

You're right. Treat it more like a robust space expansion for CivV than entirely new game.

Well, today is your lucky day. Go to greenmangaming, login or create an account and buy it for 37 Dollar something in VIP.

I went there earlier but couldn't find the deal. Didn't know about the VIP tab. Thanks.

Sigh Fuck it. Game looks like a cash-in job, but with 1500+ hours in Civ V, why stop now.....

I'll come back and eat crow if it's good. But this past week I've really been enjoying Endless Legend. BE has competition.

You missed my point. I think that Civ 5 looks good and I think that Beyond eart looks it. If anything, it looks a little bit too much like 5, but by no means bad or worse.

I think it looks exactly like Civ V (because visually it still is), with the exception of the interface, which I find better on BE.

Top Bottom