• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Sgt.Pepper said:
What should I considering when creating another city? When I create another one, it takes a lot of turns for a worker (around 20 turns). I don't think I'm placing then that badly, but yeah some tips would be nice.

The turns lessen after your first (initial) productions. Don't select workers but a building instead. To get workers, just produce them via your first city and move them towards the new city and get them to work on the fields/mines.

DEO3

Sgt.Pepper said:
What should I considering when creating another city? When I create another one, it takes a lot of turns for a worker (around 20 turns). I don't think I'm placing then that badly, but yeah some tips would be nice.

Use your cities to grab resources, generally strategic resources like horses and iron are more important than luxury resources, as without strategic resources you'll find you'll be fairly weak, and the AI civs like to pick on the weaker players. If you're good to go on strategic resources, then go ahead and start nabbing luxuries, but remember, there's no real need to have super high happiness, so if you've got 10+ smilies, you're better off selling a luxury or two to the AI civs. If they like you, they'll give you 240g for a luxury, and if they don't, well, then not so much. You can get a good idea of how the AI civs really feel about you based on how much they're willing to pay for your resources.

As far as what to produce in them, you're generally going to always want to build a monument, a library, and a workshop, after that it's best to specialize. Since you can't really build everything in every city, try focus on making the most out of each city's surrounding terrain. Got a city surrounded by grassland and rivers? Surround it with trading posts and build a market, bank, stock exchange, and national treasury. Got a city with a lot of hills? Build some farms so you can put mines on 'em, then build a barracks, forge, armory, military academy, and ironworks - use it to keep your empire flush with strong high xp units. Got a city with a lot of food resources, maybe some jungle? A mountain or two? Build a library, college, observatory, public school, and national college - I think you see where I'm going with this.

As far as workers in particular, since, unlike buildings, they're not tied to any one city, it's best to use your already established cities to build them and just move them over to your new cities. A new city should be focused on simply getting up and running, not building units.

I just wanted to let you all know that I JUST got the pun in the thread title yesterday.

Also, I'm wondering if any of the DLC is really worth it. If it gets further discounted during the Steam sale I may bite, but it was easy to pass on when the game has a decent amount of depth without extra civs.

All of the expansion civs are basically worth it. Not really a fan of the scenarios (they seem either difficult to get or brutally difficult) but the civs themselves help keep the main game fresh.

Spain: Brutally powerful civ in the right hands. Their core power is just lots of money and extra benefits for securing the Natural Wonders, but the Conquistador is the real benefit; it's essentially a knight that has settler powers.

Inca: Kind of an economy civ; they ignore hill cost and build cheaply on them. Their enormously annoying Slinger archers have a high chance of forcing you to waste your unit's attack by moving backwards instantly.

Polynesia: Boat-driven civ; you get to immediately travel by water and you can build Moai tiles that give culture (with additional culture if they line up in a row). Very different, and the boat style reminds me a lot of Alien Crossfire.

Vikings: Free pillage every turn, plus embarked units get to move farther and hit land cheaply. Ski Infantry is kinda useless but Berserkers are a great Longswordsman replacement.

Babylon: Best 3D leader rep by far, totally anigif material. Basically a science civ; one of their specials is just to help wall in, while their benefits are science based. Interesting to play.

I'll probably pick up at least a couple civ packs if they hit 66% or more off - 33% discount still amounts to a bit much when I could get some good full games on sale for about the same amount.

Man, the AI are not pushovers in this. They keep coming and coming and team up. I was holding off Rome, Genghis, Nobunaga and Elizabeth for a hundred turns or so, then they finally got me. Bastards.

Am I right to say this game's MP is region locked so as to say person from one continent cannot see the servers person B from another continent can?

falastini

Crazymoogle said:
All of the expansion civs are basically worth it. Not really a fan of the scenarios (they seem either difficult to get or brutally difficult) but the civs themselves help keep the main game fresh.
I went ahead and bought the Vikings/maps and Inca/Spain packages. Those seemed like the best deals, but still, I hate the way they've handled their dlc... everything from the exclusive preorder dlc to the pricing.

i was busy when the game came out, and didn't pay much attention to the preorder bonuses before release. I assumed they would just make it a timed exclusives as usual preorder bullshit goes.... not that I'd have to end up buying the content back because I bought the game a week late.

Anyways, despite my bitching, I've put up nearly 250 hours in this game. I guess I should shutup and take it.

falastini said:
Anyways, despite my bitching, I've put up nearly 250 hours in this game. I guess I should shutup and take it.

I hear you. It's really just Firaxis doing exactly what the console market is (see: LA Noire) but I hear you. People keep thinking an expansion is coming, but really, this is it. They've just parted it out instead of waiting a 6-12 months and selling it as a single download. I think I don't mind specifically because:

a) I enjoy the DLC
b) It's not absurdly high price $10+ stuff
c) I give them a fairly large thank you for making the game both steamworks and retail key transferrable day one

(And it's still all on sale on Steam right now...though not as cheap as a few days ago.)

darkwing

hmm how do you run the mods that you downloaded from the Mod area? i only see Single Player/Browse Mods , in the Single Player, its like the SP menu from the Main Menu, I've enabled the mod too

darkwing said:
hmm how do you run the mods that you downloaded from the Mod area? i only see Single Player/Browse Mods , in the Single Player, its like the SP menu from the Main Menu, I've enabled the mod too

If it's enabled it should just be in-game...depends on what the mod is though, I guess?

darkwing

Crazymoogle said:
If it's enabled it should just be in-game...depends on what the mod is though, I guess?

yeah this is what is confusing, on the the Rise of the Mongol appears in the Custom Game, even though I have downloaded a bunch of mods, like the A Song of Fire and Ice one

Shambles

How on earth do I load a steam cloud save file for internet games? I'm trying to get my game going with my girlfriend right now but we can't seem to access our steam cloud saves. If I would have known that these cloud saves are damn useless I would have saved it somewhere else. THey make it god damn annoying enough to even manually save games in multiplayer.

Shambles said:
How on earth do I load a steam cloud save file for internet games? I'm trying to get my game going with my girlfriend right now but we can't seem to access our steam cloud saves. If I would have known that these cloud saves are damn useless I would have saved it somewhere else. THey make it god damn annoying enough to even manually save games in multiplayer.

By default the game shows local saves, you have to click the Steam Cloud checkmark in the save/load screen to show those games. At least, that's how it works in SP...

darkwing, I'm going to try that ASOIAF one in a sec (the total conversion one?)

EDIT: After downloading here's what I did:

1. Mods -> Browse Mods -> Installed -> Make sure ASOIAF has the bright green checkmark. (I had some loading wait time here)
2. Mods -> Single Player -> Setup -> Now at the bottom of the list are the ASOIAF specific civs. Seems the mod has some obvious text bugs but it's easy to pick a house. (I had some serious loading wait time here)

Theoretically you can then just pick a map and go...but for some reason it doesn't even load on my DX11 exe.

EDIT 2: I am impressed though, you can just press ESC at any time to bail out instantly. No crashing at all.

KingK

darkwing said:
yeah this is what is confusing, on the the Rise of the Mongol appears in the Custom Game, even though I have downloaded a bunch of mods, like the A Song of Fire and Ice one

Har! I downloaded that a few weeks ago (after I finished reading Feast) because I've become too obsessed with that universe. July 12 needs to get here soon.

Got beat by Darkwing (GAF)

CDC0E6F8914693E64212DA22186885BCA0504C1E

darkwing

@Meus: nah I just got lucky when my settler survived lol

@Crazymoogle: yeah i got to the select leader part and it just stays there loading

Sanic

Is multiplayer not popular? The night I bought the game, I selected multiplayer just to see how many games were going, and there were only 8 lobbies. Today it's not showing any lobbies at all. This is probably something on my end, right?

I3rand0

Is it normal to experience lag when playing online mid to late game? I was playing with my brother on a large continents map with 4 other civs and it was taking minutes in order for a turn to begin and your selections on the next turn to start taking place. Any tips on reducing this, if any? Maybe reduce the number of city states?

The games take so freaking long in multiplayer that people rarely ever play online. Plus turn lag can be unbearable once all the empires are built up mid to late game. Having everyone play in Strategic View mode helps, but that's pretty boring.

I also find that loading up a match or game causes major lag. Playing the game straight through in one sitting allows my computer to handle the processing power incrementally.

Fitz

Pandoracell said:
Is multiplayer not popular? The night I bought the game, I selected multiplayer just to see how many games were going, and there were only 8 lobbies. Today it's not showing any lobbies at all. This is probably something on my end, right?

I'd guess that most people playing online play private games.

Wow People are actually playing multiplayer?

I've been pushing for people to play mp for some time.

People have to remember that when this game launched the MP worked HORRIBLY and that put a lot of people off (and its still pretty bad). In game lags and drops are frequent. Here's a couple things you should probably note about MP.

- It's programmed poorly so putting in lots of commands really fast will actually lag the game up. Put in only one command per unit (for instance don't click a move location repeatedly, it lags the game). Also, wait til your unit moves or does something before doing the next thing (combat may be the oly exception to this).

- If you ever go to the leader screen mid game online, it means one of two things. 1. someone is reconnecting, or 2. the game is resyncing. This does not mean you are dropping. Just wait patiently.

- When the game launches, it often takes a while. Just wait patiently. Don't immediately input commands when a game starts.

- Having barbs off and/or reducing the number of city states reduces between turn calculation time and IMO gives the game a slightly better success rate of continuing past ancient.

On that note guys, if you are ever looking for someone to play mp with, add earthstrike on steam.

teruterubozu said:
The games take so freaking long in multiplayer that people rarely ever play online. Plus turn lag can be unbearable once all the empires are built up mid to late game. Having everyone play in Strategic View mode helps, but that's pretty boring.

I also find that loading up a match or game causes major lag. Playing the game straight through in one sitting allows my computer to handle the processing power incrementally.

This is semi true. However, you do play games one the "quick" speed setting and enable the turn timer right? The way the competitive community usually handle mp is that it puts a turn limit on games (for anc its usually about 110, for further eras, slightly less) and you're looking at 2-3 hours for a game tops.

Pandoracell said:

No. In fact the lobby of civ 5 is frequently empty. It depends on what steam region you are in too. The connectivity issues of this game are problematic so what steam did was divide everyone into regions. Some regions are going to be more inactive then others. As it stands atm, the new york steam region (or whatever steam region contains that area) seems to be what will give you the highest probability of finding a game.

Edit:

I3rand0 said:
Is it normal to experience lag when playing online mid to late game? I was playing with my brother on a large continents map with 4 other civs and it was taking minutes in order for a turn to begin and your selections on the next turn to start taking place. Any tips on reducing this, if any? Maybe reduce the number of city states?

The between turn lag is mostly proportional to the volume of units the a.i. has to move. The vast majority of the between turns lag was caused be the enemy civilizations. Lowering cs/getting rid of barbs will have a marginal impact. If you're insistent on playing with enemy civs the best solution would be to 1. Always make sure you're saturating the map you're playing on. 4 enemy civs and two players = a small map. This reduces the barb lag caused by them overpopulating unsettled land. and 2. Halving the cs. You're still likely going to have access to all the types of cs you need with proper scouting. Plus there is more land to be settled in contrast to your reduced map size (since it seems like you enjoy expanding an empire on a larger map).

Meus Renaissance said:
Am I right to say this game's MP is region locked so as to say person from one continent cannot see the servers person B from another continent can?

Yes. However, there is a way around this. You can change your steam region to see and play games from other parts of the world. New york is the most active lobby. I believe you change your steam region somewhere in steam where there are download options. (changing your region also changes where you download from.)

bill0527

CHEEZMO™ said:
Just bought ths game having never played a Civ game in my life.

What am I letting myself in for?

It's the kind of game where you can start a new game at 10pm and next time you look at the clock it's 2am and you'll say 'holy shit it's 2am!' and it won't feel like 4 hours of your life have just passed.

Sanic

Earthstrike said:
No. In fact the lobby of civ 5 is frequently empty. It depends on what steam region you are in too. The connectivity issues of this game are problematic so what steam did was divide everyone into regions. Some regions are going to be more inactive then others. As it stands atm, the new york steam region (or whatever steam region contains that area) seems to be what will give you the highest probability of finding a game.

Interesting, thanks. I guess when I want to dive into MP i'll find someone on gaf to play with.

We really should make a GAF-Civilization league. Each user picks their own Civilization and we have a massive round robin tournament. Winner would get a few Steam games or something, would be fun.

24FrameDaVinci said:
We really should make a GAF-Civilization league. Each user picks their own Civilization and we have a massive round robin tournament. Winner would get a few Steam games or something, would be fun.

Meus set up a gaf steam group and people seem to be getting joined in slowly.

Each person getting their own civ though for a tournament would be a bit imbalanced considering some dominate specific eras (like greece, persia and rome in ancient) and some are good for any era (like japan, maybe persia again). So if you do every match on a specific era or random era there will be biases.

Sanic

Alright, i'm nearing the end of my first game, and have a question: The game will end at 2050 AD, correct? Because I feel like i'm running out of time. I'm at roughly 1400 AD and I have yet to explore half the world, meet 3 civs, and have no clear idea as to what kind of victory I want to attempt. I feel like i'm just getting started, but am instead nearly 3/4 of the way done with the game, only 200 or so turns in I believe.

Pandoracell said:
Alright, i'm nearing the end of my first game, and have a question: The game will end at 2050 AD, correct? Because I feel like i'm running out of time. I'm at roughly 1400 AD and I have yet to explore half the world, meet 3 civs, and have no clear idea as to what kind of victory I want to attempt. I feel like i'm just getting started, but am instead nearly 3/4 of the way done with the game, only 200 or so turns in I believe.

Yeah, it ends at 2050, but a) you can choose to continue after (although tech ends at some point) and the years between turns dramatically slows as you approach the end. 400 years at the beginning is basically 1 year at the end.

CHEEZMO™, I was in the same position as you. If you value your life, don't begin now!
You'll be hooked, have a lack of sleep, always thinking about the next turn and even though you want to uninstall the game so that you can't play it, you won't be able to and you'll start a new civ.
I don't know how the earlier games were but damn, this one is too addictive. If the 6th is even better, I'll need to buy that one right away instead of waiting.

mxgt

Banned
Pandoracell said:

It slows dramatically. You're not even half done with turns.

Sanic

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, it ends at 2050, but a) you can choose to continue after (although tech ends at some point) and the years between turns dramatically slows as you approach the end. 400 years at the beginning is basically 1 year at the end.

Good to know, I wasn't aware that less time passed as you progress.

I also like how one of the AI characters has declared war on me twice, and then wanted to have open borders during the peace treaty period :lol. Not gonna happen.

Sanic

Another broad question: I feel like i'm doing much less later in the game than I was earlier. As in, i'm basically focusing on one thing (improving a tile, maybe attacking a city, or nothing at all). It also feels like most of the structures I can produce in cities are irrelevant to me, and i'm sort of picking them at random at this point.

Also, it's looking very unlikely that i'll get to explore the entire world, let alone conquer it. Is this normal, or is it because I didn't go hard and fast for a military victory right from the get go?

Okay, so I got Civilization III, and I was disappointed to find out that it's basically just a game of (mostly) quick matches and stuff. I was expecting a deep experience where I spend hundreds of hours building up an entire civilization and advancing it through history. I was obviously expecting the quick stuff for the multiplayer, but I was really disappointed in the lack of playability in single player.

Am I just missing out on something (I've only put around 2 hours in Civilization III), and if not, do they add a more single player oriented thing in the future games, like the one I mentioned above?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Mana Legend said:
Okay, so I got Civilization III, and I was disappointed to find out that it's basically just a game of (mostly) quick matches and stuff. I was expecting a deep experience where I spend hundreds of hours building up an entire civilization and advancing it through history. I was obviously expecting the quick stuff for the multiplayer, but I was really disappointed in the lack of playability in single player.

Am I just missing out on something (I've only put around 2 hours in Civilization III), and if not, do they add a more single player oriented thing in the future games, like the one I mentioned above?

Are you sure you downloaded Civ III? Sounds like you got a Gameloft ripoff version.

plasmasd

My eyes are burning out of my head. This game. Please stop it. Start at 9PM play till 8AM. JUST ANOTHER TURN.

Argh. glad I've never played a MMORPG

Sanic

For the new page.

Pandoracell said:
Another broad question: I feel like i'm doing much less later in the game than I was earlier. As in, i'm basically focusing on one thing (improving a tile, maybe attacking a city, or nothing at all). It also feels like most of the structures I can produce in cities are irrelevant to me, and i'm sort of picking them at random at this point.

Also, it's looking very unlikely that i'll get to explore the entire world, let alone conquer it. Is this normal, or is it because I didn't go hard and fast for a military victory right from the get go?

Top Bottom