• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Grug

I just had 3 Civs declare war on me all at once. What the fuck?

That happened to me last night on like turn 12 before I'd had any chance to do anything even remotely provocative... two of the leaders who declared war on me, I hadn't even met yet.

It was so early on in the game that they didn't have the resources to actually act on the declaration and all of them were happy to make peace a few rounds later with no sweeteners required.

Clearly a bug.

Jintor

Loads instantly for me, can be skipped with the escape key, and leader animations can be disabled completely in the options menu. Do you definitely meet the recommended specs? If you're below, and especially if you're closer to minimum, then that might explain the lag.

i haven't upgraded this pc in two years and it was a cheap build when i did. i'm lucky it plays it honestly, was a bit worried there before i bought it.

LilJoka

Around T30 a country I met already declared war after I gave them open borders, they now already are next to my city attacking while my scouts are out exploring lol.

AxeMan

Still in my first game but I had two nations declare war on me and another has denounced me and the other I've met is unhappy with me.

I have no idea why. I accept their deals when offered. I don't have a big army (until I'm in a war). I don't settle cities close to theirs. It just seems random

Grug

Still in my first game but I had two nations declare war on me and another has denounced me and the other I've met is unhappy with me.

I have no idea why. I accept their deals when offered. I don't have a big army (until I'm in a war). I don't settle cities close to theirs. It just seems random

Have you looked at their particular leader traits? Various things can piss them off... China denounced me because I build wonders and they got jelly.

Otherwise, they may be invading for purely strategic reasons.

AxeMan

Have you looked at their particular leader traits? Various things can piss them off... China denounced me because I build wonders and they got jelly.

Otherwise, they may be invading for purely strategic reasons.

I had a look but couldn't see anything specific.
It's actually been 3 civ's that started a war with me

I'm playing as England. Greece, Russia and Brazil started a war with me, I wiped them out.
America is unhappy with me and Kongo has denounced me.
Couple that with the barbarians and all I've done for a majority of the game is sustain an army

Jintor

I like that diplomacy is way more transparent. I'm all buddy-buddy with the Norse because I have a massive fleet and they like that I earn gold. Meanwhile Germany is running scared because I'm better than them and their leader is paranoid.

jwhit28

What is the next logical building for housing after granary? I know one of the encampment buildings gives you a little housing. I always seem to hit a housing wall at 6.

Sibylus

Banned
What is the next logical building for housing after granary? I know one of the encampment buildings gives you a little housing. I always seem to hit a housing wall at 6.

This is from memory.

Small Sources
- Pasture
- Farm
- Fishing Boat

Medium Sources
- Civics
- Barracks/Stable

Large Sources
- Aqueduct, water access (fresh best)
- Neighborhood

jwhit28

This is from memory.

Small Sources
- Pasture
- Farm
- Fishing Boat

Medium Sources
- Civics
- Barracks/Stable

Large Sources
- Aqueduct, water access (fresh best)
- Neighborhood

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Like I said I usually use Barracks as a bandaid right now. I know for sure one of the early Industrial Complex buildings gives housing too.

Skinpop

What? Hexagonal tiles in Civ are an improvement on square ones in literally every way. Besides making the world much more natural-looking, hexagons eliminate the diagonal movement/adjacency issues posed by squares. I thought it was one of the few changes Civ 5 made that was an unequivocal improvement, and probably its single best change overall. It's difficult to go back to Civ 4 because of that alone.

hexagons are different, they are not objectively better than tiles. I prefer the feeling, look and intuitive nature of tiles. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I think it's sad that civ didn't keep tiles around when so many other games are doing hexagons.

artsi

My three neighbours are constantly declaring war against me, then I hand their asses to them and they want a peace deal.

Then they declare war again and same repeats, WTF?

Fliesen

i have 2 cities that have their industrial zones (or rather the workshop / factory / power plant) constantly "pillaged" but not by enemies or barbarians.

i have no housing or amenities issues in these cities.
The only thing the two have in common is the fact that the industrial zone is built on a desert tile.

What's the deal with that?
and airplane food

Maiorum

i have 2 cities that have their industrial zones (or rather the workshop / factory / power plant) constantly "pillaged" but not by enemies or barbarians.

i have no housing or amenities issues in these cities.
The only thing the two have in common is the fact that the industrial zone is built on a desert tile.

What's the deal with that?
and airplane food

Might be spies sabotaging your stuff. Train your own spies and put them in those cities.

Fliesen

Might be spies sabotaging your stuff. Train your own spies and put them in those cities.

oouuuuuuuuh ... thanks.

Also, my late game's just waging war, sending shit to space and CONSTANTLY. REFRESHING. MY. FUCKING. TRADE ROUTES.

that needs to be fixed for the first add-on. i have 25 trade routes. so i'll have to refresh one or two EVERY. SINGLE. TURN.

(along with having to re-select "future tech" and "globalization/social media" (who cares) every 3 turns that's plenty of pointless busiwork.
JUST KEEP RESEARCHING FUTURE TECH ....

Religion Wars are so fun.
It's now my favorite way of aggression. Religion is finally fun in a Civ game.

I spent most of yesterday trying a religion victory, only to find out three of the other civs were also aiming for a religion victory. Germany swarmed every tile in my empire with apostles, and I couldn't risk fighting them because losing a religious war in your territory gives enemy religions a big boost. Spain then rolled their own apostles in and my territory was just Germany and Spain duking it out in religious wars, trying to spread their own religions to my civ that way.

I tried declaring war on them thinking I could wipe the priests out with swordsmen and archers, but for some dumb reason you aren't allowed to target religious units. That was a waste of my Saturday...

oouuuuuuuuh ... thanks.

Also, my late game's just waging war, sending shit to space and CONSTANTLY. REFRESHING. MY. FUCKING. TRADE ROUTES.

that needs to be fixed for the first add-on. i have 25 trade routes. so i'll have to refresh one or two EVERY. SINGLE. TURN.

(along with having to re-select "future tech" and "globalization/social media" (who cares) every 3 turns that's plenty of pointless busiwork.
JUST KEEP RESEARCHING FUTURE TECH ....

You're going to love telling all your spies to keep working as counterspies in your cities every few turns then =P

I agree though, there needs to be a quick select option. Civ V had your previous trade route highlighted whenever you refreshed at least.
I always begin burning out in Civ games for the last third of the game. It's no longer about discovery or finding your civilization's identity, and more about busywork as you slowly progress to a clear end point.

Fliesen

just finished my first game (prince difficulty, small map, pericles - i just hit 'play now') in 9.4 hours. Shame there's no "empire size" timelapse like in previous games.

good game. Gotta do some tweaking next time around to maybe.
Btw, there's no way to have a game without city states altogether, right?

I really dislike standard speed it was like industrial close to modern times when I first went on the offensive on empire and by then the AI was still using classical era units I was rolling through, heck they thought slingers would do shit, they literally die to being sneezed at. Terracotta Army is stupidly strong for a wonder.
There has been an army of catapults and warriors next to one of my cities for like 5 centuries. Warriors!

CzarTim

Finished my second game. I bumped it up to emperor, standard map/speed, and still managed to win with a religious victory before turn 300. Probably would have gotten there sooner had it done more exploring earlier on; I had to track do the last civ.

QhMbW2ljSRHA4Qilc9G2aJevl8jhmVs-y078lOHcBLLBq0CtRAmVvXtLQV8jFUIS9gRWXHoLAGawB0JrzVTd13iLFCvXlerJPKRceoAcgZQa5r5Jsbun_P6p1crDgurLG9_yGZrn5tCN6SXoOUwusS9dANwhGwcxZJu8ZsJJv0aSwkwUNft-Yo3nhfQSZ3aFUvkIn3KbnspmIBTl73veLwKzHrsc2FUBU3k-0QgdUt0Zxw7D48JVdiITl2ZxWLqUe-oPIG87q4HhhSUryhKy2QD6zDbypdLMeQ-lAsFlvjd_ZXRmwBSgba0gHhzLNh2cQI6mnk3md2fVtB40kKXpvRJbYCU03xn7coCh37dPzn2NYsaKoG_V_bZcKAw73cCmGzngUDcXoV3RkfeZTNVBRmBmvWtikGt9oPNb86ICXECUAf6Tqy5MD1_Io4BQgJSrNXNJk6l2WkdWiNDRsHxPFi50al2Potn8R3zqu5mIjRgGkeuHlKja6-dPAJVukG3w_v50bAxZ7CX7ehvCaKGWuFJ-OMDlKtp1-l6lGFXpejfEltA_P50c-W2jli7JhiSqqqHfvRK2UtD6wd0OxJoXYHFIdawJ0YJLwNYDs-3mr0923Fih=w490-h871-no

give me strengh

Pikelet

hexagons are different, they are not objectively better than tiles. I prefer the feeling, look and intuitive nature of tiles. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I think it's sad that civ didn't keep tiles around when so many other games are doing hexagons.

Hexagons works a lot better for the tactical combat they wanted to make in Civ 5/6 because of the one unit per tile restriction.

Hexagons = units can move in 6 directions
Squares = units can move in 8 directions

Fewer options for movement means that the terrain is a much bigger factor, and so is unit blocking etc. It makes sense for the game they were trying to make.

Spent all of yesterday playing an online game with two friends, I was Egypt, they were Norway and Brazil.

I was on a continent with Germany and Sumeria, while they were on a continent with India. My science was struggling (not used to city management in this game), but I managed to eliminate both German and Sumeria from the game. Meanwhile, Brazil was working towards a culture victory with India going for a religious win (not sure what Norway was really working towards). We had left score on, so about ~200 turns in, after I had taken over our continent, I realised I leading on score, so I hoped a last-ditch assault on all city states and a march on Delhi could win me the game.

While I took over a few city states, my low science meant my troops couldn't take Delhi, so I had to abandon that front. Meanwhile, Norway managed to eliminate Brazil, and went onto have the same goal as me as stealing a score victory. Eventually, we warred with each other in the final turns, with his vastly superior tech overwhelming the ton of crap cities I founded as I was just making settler after settler.

However, we both forgot something. Due to other players being eliminated, and Norway not having a religion of their own, Gandhi set a ton of missionaries to my cities while others were being taken by Norway. This meant that Gandhi was able to get the religion victory at turn 249. So the friend who was Norway managed to fuck himself out of victory by warmongering.

In terms of technical issues, I had a desync issue in the early game, and in the late game, we had a moment where we were both stuck waiting for each other, so had to restart to fix it. Didn't lose any progress though.

Was a fun game, I learned that I need to do much better with my science management.

Skinpop

Hexagons works a lot better for the tactical combat they wanted to make in Civ 5/6 because of the one unit per tile restriction.

Fewer options for movement means that the terrain is a much bigger factor, and so is unit blocking etc. It makes sense for the game they were trying to make.
I get that, but I think the tactical combat direction was a very unfortunate mistake.

SumGamer

It's almost impossible to get away building a city without Entertainment district. People would be just too unhappy for the lack of amenities. You'd imagine they would enjoy the fact that they have this amazing museum with a bunch of great writing pieces and artworks. It's bloody The Garden of Earthly Delights, people. Enjoy it.

Fliesen

especially when you get to ranged units that have a range of "2"
with hexagons, a range of 2 makes for an intuitively readable radius. - crossing a tile-border 2 times. that means you can always have your artillery behind a line of your own units.
With squares you run into all kinds of shit - how to treat with 'corner' neighbours? can you shoot 'through' a mountain, ridge when there's a corner -> corner connection.

corners drool, edges rule.

I get that, but I think the tactical combat direction was a very unfortunate mistake.

i disagree, it makes sieges much more interesting.

Skinpop

i disagree, it makes sieges much more interesting.

sure and you could make sieges more interesting by doing it srpg style with a detailed battle screen or even realtime like total war. and city building could be made more interesting by letting us make them like sim city.. and so on.
Maybe I'm alone in thinking this but sieges shouldn't be that interesting in a game like civ.

dakun

oh man i'm like over 15 hours into a game and now it keeps freezing when i click on the civic button. I reloaded a save 2 turns back and it still happens when i reach the same point.

Any known fixes? I really would prefer not to start over.

EDIT: ok that's weird. The "Cold War" civic kept crashing. So i chose another one, let that complete, and then chose Cold War again. For now that seemed to work.

spiritfox

I tried declaring war on them thinking I could wipe the priests out with swordsmen and archers, but for some dumb reason you aren't allowed to target religious units. That was a waste of my Saturday...

You totally can kill religious units with military units. Destroyed a billion Brazilian Missionaries in my latest game like that. You just roll over them, it's kinda cathartic.

Apenheul

I still have so much to discover in V that I won't be playing VI any time soon, I haven't managed to get a single culture victory yet for example. I can easily sink hundreds of hours into these games.

TheYanger

Is this the Civ game I should jump in on? I really enjoy Firaxis's XCOM games.
If you've never played one it's almost surely a more economical decision to buy 4 or 5 complete editions for virtually nothing instead - The games don't change THAT much to virgin eyes and you can get a pretty good idea whether it's something you enjoy or not. Not at all similar to Xcom either really.
I still have so much to discover in V that I won't be playing VI any time soon, I haven't managed to get a single culture victory yet for example. I can easily sink hundreds of hours into these games.
And yet, my very first game in Civ 6 was a culture victory ;) I like going for everything.

CloudWolf

sure and you could make sieges more interesting by doing it srpg style with a detailed battle screen or even realtime like total war. and city building could be made more interesting by letting us make them like sim city.. and so on.
Maybe I'm alone in thinking this but sieges shouldn't be that interesting in a game like civ.
I don't know man, have you ever played Age of Wonders 3? The battle system is amaaaazing. I'd love it if for Civ VII they copied that system just like they took stuff from Paradox games and Endless Legend for this one.

Anno

I don't know man, have you ever played Age of Wonders 3? The battle system is amaaaazing.

If they could somehow introduce the unit diversity and combat mechanics of AoW3 into a Civ game I just wouldn't ever need anything else. I know it's not what the series really is, but man...

I do have high hopes for how people might mod out unit promotion trees down the line that could accomplish some of this.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I think you are definitely in the minority in not liking hexes and the strategic combat in Civ. Most people agree that the transition to hexes made the game much better.

You totally can kill religious units with military units. Destroyed a billion Brazilian Missionaries in my latest game like that. You just roll over them, it's kinda cathartic.

Seriously? I wonder why it wouldn't work for me. I thought that would be the solution to my problem but I couldn't attack any of the dozens of apostles swarming around my empire, and it all it did was invite their army to the party as well...

Raphael

A bit disappointed with Civ6. It's like Civ5 Enhanced Edition. Not really digging the policy tree. Overall still a great game but was hoping for something more.

Randdalf

Crazy new strategy I just accidentally came across: if you get Boudica, then let one of your cities rebel and it will spawn about 5 barbarians around it. Teleport Boudica into the city, and then use her ability to get a lot of free units (it converts barbarians to your side). I just got 3 knights and a crossbowman doing this (I had only been able to afford 1 knight up until that point!)

edit: Also, if you teleport great persons with a military unit attached, it will teleport the military unit too (but it will still appear where it used to be, which I assume is a bug).

samn

A bit disappointed with Civ6. It's like Civ5 Enhanced Edition. Not really digging the policy tree. Overall still a great game but was hoping for something more.

I'm also not really feeling it. Not seeing much difference between this and Civ5 so far. still in the early game though

Pineapple

How many districts are generally recommended per city? I think I'm trying to do too much with each city, and still clinging to the Civ V mindset that each city has to have almost every building type.

Is it recommended to have just 1-2 districts per city, and to then focus on military units/builders/district specific buildings/wonders?

Top Bottom