• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

perfectchaos007 said:
Sweet! Texas going to be #1

Don't be so sure. UT can't hit FTs, Prince fouled out, and we still have 90 seconds to go.

jjasper said:
Prince is such a terrible FT shooter. How is it possible to make it this far and not be able to shoot free throws.

Shaq managed to win a few NBA championships and he still can't hit a FT.

1:18 to go, Tn's ball, 71-65 Tn is still up. Kansas's full court press is scary, and fuck if Tn misses more FT's i'll start calling them Cal's Memphis team

and an immediate steal, 1:10 to go, 71-68

giga

Seth C said:
Don't be so sure. UT can't hit FTs, Prince fouled out, and we still have 90 seconds to go.

Shaq managed to win a few NBA championships and he still can't hit a FT.
He means Texas.

SyNapSe

kkaabboomm said:
1:18 to go, Tn's ball, 71-65 Tn is still up. Kansas's full court press is scary, and fuck if Tn misses more FT's i'll start calling them Cal's Memphis team

and an immediate steal, 1:10 to go, 71-68

Are you a color commentator or something? lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
God Damnit SEC, you owe us for one broken QB.

You better not keep our BB team from being #1.

SyNapSe

Also, I hope we don't find a way to win here again. We need to get things going and some times that requires kids waking up. I'd rather lose 5-6 games in the regular season and be ready for the postseason than the other way around.

HOLY SHIT that was a big 3 for Tn

23.7 seconds left, Tn going to the line after kansas missed, 74-68

and holy crap Pearl your kids cannot hit a FT

Seth C

giga said:
He means Texas.

Yeah. Clearly. Point was, Tenn needs to win for that to happen. And it wasn't decided. Well, it is now of course. :)

Gooood oooole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee.

and two undefeated's remain.

as a UK fan, I am now scared about going to play at Tennessee. but i'm happy we're #2 in the country now!

Seth C

bachikarn said:
What is worse, the "SEC" chant, or the "overrated" chant?

Overrated, by far. I'm glad our conference has pride in itself and that many of us support the other teams when they step outside the conference. I want Tennessee and Florida to win every non-conference game they play.

iamblades

That's pretty much what I've thought of kansas all year long.

They will go as far as Collins can carry them. He is pretty much the only one that can consistently make things happen on offense vs. a good defense. If he is shooting airballs and getting it stolen from him, they have no chance.

giga

Seth C said:
Overrated, by far. I'm glad our conference has pride in itself and that many of us support the other teams when they step outside the conference. I want Tennessee and Florida to win every non-conference game they play.
What's the point? If a #1 Florida team lost to an unranked Northwestern, it would help a #15 Tennessee.

jjasper

Since the SEC chant is a running gag to troll other conferences because they make such a big deal about it the overrated is by far the worst chant ever. "Hey you suck our terrible team just beat you" would be much better.

bachikarn

giga said:
What's the point? If a #1 Florida team lost to an unranked Northwestern, it would help a #15 Tennessee.

Unless by #1 Florida losing, everyone realizes that the entire SEC sucks. That is essentially the reason why people want their conference to do well. It doesn't really matter so much in basketball because 1 game doesn't change much, but the suckage of the SEC and all the OOC losses last year was the reason only 3 teams were invited to the tourney. So obviously it is advantageous to have your conference win a lot of their OOC games.

vas_a_morir said:
Don't tell me, are they chanting "S-E-C?" :lol

They were chanting "overrated," unless I missed them chanting "SEC" as well.

NewLib

Banned
The Top 25 got slaughtered this week. 14 out of 25 lost atleast one game and Florida State might make that 15 if they dont come back against Maryland.

The polls will be interesting tommorow. I see a Top 10 of 1. Texas 2. Kentucky 3. Kansas 4. Villanova 5. Syracuse 6. Purdue 7. Duke 8. West Virginia 9. Michigan State 10. Tennessee

giga

bachikarn said:
Unless by #1 Florida losing, everyone realizes that the entire SEC sucks. That is essentially the reason why people want their conference to do well. It doesn't really matter so much in basketball because 1 game doesn't change much, but the suckage of the SEC and all the OOC losses last year was the reason only 3 teams were invited. So obviously it is advantage to have your conference win a lot of their OOC games.

They were chanting "overrated," unless I missed them chanting "SEC" as well.
Kansas losing today doesn't mean the entire Big 12 sucks. Other ranked Big 12 teams wouldn't fall in prestige because of it. (I guess that's only Texas since Kansas State lost yesterday).

As you said, it's one game and college ball has an actual tournament. SEC just pretty much sucked last year.

Seth C

giga said:

And if a #1 Florida team and a #15 Tennessee team win all of their non-conference games it looks much better when my Kentucky team (hopefully) beats them both. See what I'm saying?

giga

Seth C said:
And if a #1 Florida team and a #15 Tennessee team win all of their non-conference games it looks much better when my Kentucky team (hopefully) beats them both. See what I'm saying?
Wouldn't matter if your Kentucky team had several losses [to bad teams] throughout the year. I do see what you're saying, but individual ooc wins really don't matter as much in the big picture of things for the tournament in March. Your ranking/win-loss ratio/sos and respective conference tournament will do more. (at-large and conference bids) :)

Seth C

giga said:
Wouldn't matter if your Kentucky team had several losses [to bad teams] throughout the year. I do see what you're saying, but individual ooc wins really don't matter as much in the big picture of things for the tournament in March. Your ranking/win-loss ratio/sos and respective conference tournament will do more. (at-large and conference bids) :)

We play Tennessee and Florida a minimum of twice a year. Having UT beat Kansas increases their SOS and their RPI. The better their RPI, the better our RPI via playing them. Not that it matters for Kentucky this year, but if the league ends up beating up on each other, the selection committee (and the pollsters before them) will look more favorably on them if they had solid out of conference wins.

giga

Seth C said:
We play Tennessee and Florida a minimum of twice a year. Having UT beat Kansas increases their SOS and their RPI. The better their RPI, the better our RPI via playing them. Not that it matters for Kentucky this year, but if the league ends up beating up on each other, the selection committee (and the pollsters before them) will look more favorably on them if they had solid out of conference wins.
Yes, I acknowledged that and said that a Kansas win wouldn't matter if you guys had several regular season losses (in or out of conference) leading to a low or non-ranking and a poor showing at the SEC tournament.

Karakand

bachikarn said:
What is worse, the "SEC" chant, or the "overrated" chant?
One is insulting at the cost of your own accomplishment and the other is regional pride for a place that doesn't merit much. You do the math!

Arizona knocked off Washington tonight, so presumably tomorrow will be the first time since 1987 that there's no Pac-10 team ranked in the top-25. Right now in the Pac-10 there are three teams at 2-1, five tied at 2-2, and Washington is alone in last place. How bizarre.

Seth C

Seth C said:
So there isn't a single team with 4 losses in the AP Top 25. I assume UNC will fall to 13th? :lol

I cannot believe that even when choosing an absurdly small drop for UNC, I still gave too much credit to the voters. After picking up their fourth loss, to College of Charleston, UNC dropped all the way to 12 in the AP. I now believe they could lose more than they win and still get votes.

AP Top 25 - Jan 11, 2010

1. Texas (56) 15-0 1,616
2. Kentucky (9) 16-0 1,569
3. Kansas 14-1 1,441
4. Villanova 14-1 1,426
5. Syracuse 15-1 1,353
6. Purdue 14-1 1,317
7. Michigan State 13-3 1,191
8. Duke 13-2 1,178
9. Tennessee 12-2 1,030
10. West Virginia 12-2 1,006
11. Georgetown 12-2 934
12. North Carolina 12-4 844
13. Kansas State 13-2 746
13. Wisconsin 13-3 746
15. Connecticut 11-4 633
16. Pittsburgh 13-2 565
17. Gonzaga 12-3 559
18. Brigham Young 16-1 456
19. Temple 13-3 388
20. Georgia Tech 12-3 342
21. Mississippi 12-3 326
22. Baylor 13-1 301
23. Miami (FL) 15-1 189
24. Clemson 13-3 167
25. Florida State 13-3 155

And as a bonus...

26. Texas A&M 126
27. Northern Iowa 91
28. Missouri 64
29. Mississippi State 61
30. New Mexico 59
31. Dayton 39
32. UAB 35
33. UNLV 28
34. Oklahoma State 26
35. Vanderbilt 21
36. Notre Dame 18
37. Wake Forest 14
38. Cornell 12
39. Butler 10
39. Texas Tech 10
41. Marquette 9
41. Virginia Tech 9
43. William & Mary 8
44. Louisiana Tech 2
44. Florida 2
46. Harvard 1
46. Missouri State 1
46. Siena 1

pxleyes

Banned
And UF continues our slide to mediocrity. I really had hope for this team, but I've all but lost it. We are average at best right now. Ranking is probably accurate.

Seth C

pxleyes said:
And UF continues our slide to mediocrity. I really had hope for this team, but I've all but lost it. We are average at best right now. Ranking is probably accurate.

...until you beat Kentucky tomorrow.

NewLib

Banned
The thing is who would you rank above North Carolina that is behind them right now?

I say Wisconsin and Kansas State. Either the other teams behind them have lost 3/4 games against worst competition without the same quality of wins or they have beaten nobody and have one loss.

Edit: Florida will probably beat Kentucky tomorrow unless UF just goes completely cold. First really big road game (no disrespect to Indiana but they arent good) and UK hasnt shown it can guard the three. I expect it to be close, but UF should pull it out.

Seth C

NewLib said:
The thing is who would you rank above North Carolina that is behind them right now?

I say Wisconsin and Kansas State. Either the other teams behind them have lost 3/4 games against worst competition without the same quality of wins or they have beaten nobody and have one loss.

Edit: Florida will probably beat Kentucky tomorrow unless UF just goes completely cold. First really big road game (no disrespect to Indiana but they arent good) and UK hasnt shown it can guard the three. I expect it to be close, but UF should pull it out.

I think I would put K State, Wisconsin, and Pittsburgh ahead of them, at least. I mean for fuck's sake, if we lose to Florida tomorrow they will drop us down to 6th.

Seth C

pxleyes said:
I'd laugh if it happened. I just want to stay competitive tomorrow :lol

Dude, Georgia stayed competitive. At Rupp! I know we are undefeated, and this team has show a very strong will to win when the game comes down to the wire, but they continually put themselves in a position to be beat.

Beyond that, I guarantee you Pitino has been on the phone all week sharing everything he learned from playing us. Expect Florida to come out and play the exact same type of game Louisville did. It will be an ugly game and if we don't lose, Florida will have at least had it close near the end with a chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom