• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhawk

Hopefully people are finally coming around to what the SOS actually is. Playing a name team at home when they are having a huge down year does not make for a good schedule.

Seth C

SyNapSe said:
I just went to check how bad KU's schedule is ranked but hey we are #31 in SOS! Much better than I thought it'd be.

I looked through other teams at the top of the RPI and it's pretty easy to see why the top teams rack up a huge amount of wins. Never play anyone in the non-con in a true road game!

non-con road games for top teams
Syracuse - 0 true road games in the non-con
Kentucky - 1 true road game @ Indiana
Texas - @Rice and @Arkansas. 2-0
Wisconsin - 1 road game @UW-Green Bay and they lost in OT
West Virginia - 1 road game @ Cleveland State
Kstate - 1 road game @ UNLV. Big win
Georgetown - 2 road games @Tulane and @Savannah State :rolleyes
Pitt - 1 road game @Duquesne
Duke - 1 true road game (loss to Wisc. in the b10-acc challenge) 15-2 overall. 15-0 in home/neutral, 0-2 in true road games.
Kansas - 3 road games @temple, @Tennessee, @UCLA.

Speaking in Kentucky's defense, all of our "regular" out of conference games rotate. So we played UNC and Louisville at home this year, but will have to play both of them on the road next year. We also played two games at a tournament (so not at home) and UCONN at Madison Square Garden (a venue much closer to them).

Haha just don't be such a pessimist. We have gone from NIT team to number one. Lets not highly criticize until we lose a game. (Hint it won't be Saturday).

Seth C

bucsfan0210 said:
Haha just don't be such a pessimist. We have gone from NIT team to number one. Lets not highly criticize until we lose a game. (Hint it won't be Saturday).

Managing expectations my friend, managing expectations.

jakncoke

Banned
SyNapSe said:
I just went to check how bad KU's schedule is ranked but hey we are #31 in SOS! Much better than I thought it'd be.

I looked through other teams at the top of the RPI and it's pretty easy to see why the top teams rack up a huge amount of wins. Never play anyone in the non-con in a true road game!

Duke - 1 true road game (loss to Wisc. in the b10-acc challenge) 15-2 overall. 15-0 in home/neutral, 0-2 in true road games.

They took us to OT as well, so sad. But that was a different team. Gilbert Brown/Jermaine Dixon coming back has helped us a lot

SyNapSe said:

You forgot Texas plays @U-Conn on Saturday. They are ranked too.

NewLib

Banned
Lots of quality basketball on tonight with some meaningful games

(14) Georgetown at (11) Pittsburgh 7:00 EST - Game of the Night
Xavier at (17) Temple 7:00 EST - Big game for control of the Atlantic 10
St. Johns at (21) UConn 7:00 - First game with no Calhoun and both teams desperately need this win
Wake Forest at (23) UNC 7:00 EST - Will UNC lose three straight?
UTEP at Memphis 8:00 EST - Memphis can break UK's record of most consecutive conference victories. Funny thing is this might be the most difficult game in the streak for them to win.
Baylor at (2) Kansas 9:00 EST - Even though Kansas is at home, Baylor is no push over so I expect a good game.
(12) West Virginia at Marshall 9:00 EST - Rivalry game at Marshall who is a decent team. West Virginia has also looked a little shaky lately. Also its Vas's Non-Kentucky love.

jjasper

NewLib said:
UTEP at Memphis 8:00 EST - Memphis can break UK's record of most consecutive conference victories. Funny thing is this might be the most difficult game in the streak for them to win.

The streak is just going to go back to Kentucky, once again Cal stabbing Memphis in the back for the betterment of UK.

Bowser

Damn, we REALLY suck. *sigh*

Going to be the first three game losing streak of Roy's career at Carolina and come next Monday the first time in my college career that UNC will be unranked.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:

Going to be the first three game losing streak of Roy's career at Carolina and come next Monday the first time in my college career that UNC will be unranked.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Look at it this way, all those band wagon fans you accrued over the last 5 years are about to jump ship and leech onto UK. You don't need them anyway.

Karakand

Bowser said:

cmon man go all out and reach for the losing season with us it'll be fun like that one time or that other time

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I haven't seen UNC play this bad at home since Joseph Forte thought he was the man.
truly101 said:
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Look at it this way, all those band wagon fans you accrued over the last 5 years are about to jump ship and leech onto UK. You don't need them anyway.
Oh well, at least UNC fans can take solace in that fresh NCAA Championship banner. :D

DJ_Tet

Banned
Joseph Forte was the man. UNC would kill to have someone with his talent on the perimeter right now. The problem was his supporting cast was actually worse than what UNC has now, by a long shot.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
I haven't seen UNC play this bad at home since Joseph Forte thought he was the man.

Oh well, at least UNC fans can take solace in that fresh NCAA Championship banner. :D

You might be able to take solace in the fact that you aren't losing to NC State. We're making them look like a top 15 team. We suck dick on the road. Clemson will kill us again this Saturday.

DY_nasty

DJ_Tet said:
Joseph Forte was the man. UNC would kill to have someone with his talent on the perimeter right now. The problem was his supporting cast was actually worse than what UNC has now, by a long shot.
Most inconsistent 'good' player I've ever seen in my life.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus NC State is shooting the lights out on us. Doesn't help that we're TERRIBLE on the road this year.

jakncoke

Banned
man we played so shitty in the final 10 minutes. Learning something new as well that didn't. Apperently we were down 9 vs. Wofford with 6 to play and down 16 to Duquese((sp?) with 10 to play :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
State isn't a bad squad. Most of their losses this year have been real close.

They might upset UNC in the NIT this year.

DY_nasty

arstal said:
State isn't a bad squad. Most of their losses this year have been real close.

They might upset UNC in the NIT this year.
Okay, I laughed

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, that shot was absurd. We had a chance before he hit that, but now the game is pretty much sealed up.

Bluecondor

I went to the Pitt-Georgetown game.

Georgetown kicked our --- for the last 4 minutes of the game. It was a really balanced game for about 36 minutes, but Georgetown is just a solid team through and through.

I am definitely going to pick the Hoyas to go deep in the NCAA tournament. They have solid guard play and are tough inside (as always). They will be a tough out in the tournament.

Crisco

Banned
Hey Duke fans, help me out here, how am I supposed to feel when my team plays well for a whole game, gets all the breaks, and hits big shots? It's a strange, unfamiliar experience.

SyNapSe

Sherron coming up HUGE again. Kid is a big time competitor!

Baylor is going to break our 91 game streak of holding the other team below 50% from the field. :( Better than ending our 52 game home winning streak though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Crisco said:
Hey Duke fans, help me out here, how am I supposed to feel when my team plays well for a whole game, gets all the breaks, and hits big shots? It's a strange, unfamiliar experience.

Hopefully you get used to it ^_^.

I'm tired of feeling like a Clippers fan.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Crisco said:

Well if you're a state fan, you know how you felt when we clobbered you in football this past season? Thats how we feel now. How you feel now, thats how we felt then. What else can we do but looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose.....to NCSU.....:( fuck. We phoned this bullshit in and State wasn't having any of it.

jakncoke

Banned
Bluecondor said:
I went to the Pitt-Georgetown game.

Georgetown kicked our --- for the last 4 minutes of the game. It was a really balanced game for about 36 minutes, but Georgetown is just a solid team through and through.

I am definitely going to pick the Hoyas to go deep in the NCAA tournament. They have solid guard play and are tough inside (as always). They will be a tough out in the tournament.

oh hey another pitt fan, that's like 3 or 4 now!

DJ_Tet

Banned
DY_nasty said:
I've never seen NC State as a rival to anyone in the ACC.

When I was growing up (mid 80's) NC State was UNC's rival, but I'm sure you knew that. They've long since been replaced but old-school old blood UNC fans still love a win over State.

One of the main reasons the rivalry died was (imo) that it became hard to find a State fan outside of a cornfield or a Walmart.

Anyway, Joe Forte may have been inconsistent but he single-handedly dragged a #8 seed UNC team (that honestly had no business in the tourney but whatever, at least they made their appearance count) to a Final Four. You don't respect UNC's rich history by dogging Joe Forte, he left to get away from the worst coach you've ever had. Remember, the guys he left behind at UNC went 8-20 without him.

You're blaming Forte when you should be blaming Capel and Lang and Curry.

edit- Did State rush the court? I didn't stick around for the brutal end.

edit2: I see they did, as they absolutely deserved to. Nice win by State.

DY_nasty

DJ_Tet said:
When I was growing up (mid 80's) NC State was UNC's rival, but I'm sure you knew that. They've long since been replaced but old-school old blood UNC fans still love a win over State.

One of the main reasons the rivalry died was (imo) that it became hard to find a State fan outside of a cornfield or a Walmart.

Anyway, Joe Forte may have been inconsistent but he single-handedly dragged a #8 seed UNC team (that honestly had no business in the tourney but whatever, at least they made their appearance count) to a Final Four. You don't respect UNC's rich history by dogging Joe Forte, he left to get away from the worst coach you've ever had. Remember, the guys he left behind at UNC went 8-20 without him.

Slow down Cowboy. I called it for what it was. UNC's problem isn't talent, its a complete lack of leadership. And when did Joe Forte become a part of 'rich history'? Thats like saying Marbury should get his jersey retired in NY. Most UNC fans don't even speak of that era, and for good reason.

And I, and many others, don't consider NC State a true rival because they haven't been relevant since Julius Hodge's junior year.

jakncoke

Banned
Bluecondor said:
Ya - Pitt is pretty much my life. It's been a nice year - 10 wins in football, and Jamie has us playing well.

Im hybrid, I like Penn St. football. Probably goes against some college code but I don't give a fuck. I've never even been to Pitt or State College :lol . Pitt/Penn St. should start an annual game, it's makes complete sense.

DJ_Tet

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Slow down Cowboy. I called it for what it was. UNC's problem isn't talent, its a complete lack of leadership. And when did Joe Forte become a part of 'rich history'? Thats like saying Marbury should get his jersey retired in NY. Most UNC fans don't even speak of that era, and for good reason.

And I, and many others, don't consider NC State a true rival because they haven't been relevant since Julius Hodge's junior year.

Joe Forte isn't part of their rich history but that Final Four run was one of the most impressive things UNC has accomplished. A ton of talent passed through that school in the late 80's and very early 90's that never sniffed a Final Four.

That's funny that you consider NC State relevant during the Julius Hodge era. Personally I don't think they've been relevant since Gugliotta :lol

Admittedly State played UNC pretty closely during the Hodge years, whereas Duke made a living wiping them (and most of the rest of the conference) off the court by 20+.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
DJ_Tet said:

edit2: I see they did, as they absolutely deserved to. Nice win by State.

There's still plenty of State fans, just most of them are older, or actually went to State.
They did some weird stunt last year where they put themselves as the best program in basketball on an ESPN poll or something until ESPN disabled their votes.

The real reason is died- mismanagement after Valvano. Sendek pretty much got forced out due to fans, not the administration. (Snoredek is really the definition of mediocre coach)

They did rush the court. Hopeffuly in a couple years they won't be rushing for beating Duke. They do have a lot of talent coming in next year.

Bluecondor

jakncoke said:
Im hybrid, I like Penn St. football. Probably goes against some college code but I don't give a fuck. I've never even been to Pitt or State College :lol . Pitt/Penn St. should start an annual game, it's makes complete sense.

Ya - Pitt-Penn State used to be one of the best rivalries in college football. In a nutshell, shortly after Penn State went to the Big 10, JoePa wanted two Penn State home games for every Pitt home game, and we told JoePa to go to hell.

They used to play in November or December in basketball, but it was nothing like the football rivalry. Penn State cares very little about basketball, so you can't even get their fans fired up about it.

So - since the rivalry doesn't exist anymore, there are probably lots of people out there who like Penn State football and Pitt basketball. I will never be one of those people though. :D

Seth C

That blown call at the end of the Louisville/Seton Hall game is, I believe, the worst and most blatant ref error I have ever seen in college basketball. How do you hand the ball to the player, start counting off, and then watch him step inbounds only to then take the ball, give it back, and let him try all over again?

Next time you hear a Kentucky fan bitching about Tony Greene, remember, this is why.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
did you hear vitale make that comment a few games back about pitino saying his only career mistake was leaving kentucky? i was a kid when he left, and i took it pretty hard :lol

there was a bit of schaudenfreude for me when vitale related that anecdote.

Seth C

beelzebozo said:
did you hear vitale make that comment a few games back about pitino saying his only career mistake was leaving kentucky? i was a kid when he left, and i took it pretty hard :lol

there was a bit of schaudenfreude for me when vitale related that anecdote.

I didn't hear that when Vitale said it, but I do remember Pitino having said it. Kentucky was Camelot to him (also his own words). I do remember him leaving (I was 17) quite well. I also had a friend from Boston and kept telling her how great a coach he was and how he'd have the Celtics turned around in no time. Oops. :lol

Karakand

Man I was so pissed off when UCLA opened up with the 3-2 zone tonight. FUCKING HOWLAND YOU'RE ADAPTING.

MUSTAFA ABDUL-HAMID though omg I love you man I remember when you were a garbage time all-star. (Along with Niko "I get a lot of minutes now" Dragovic.)

edit: Even if Howland won't start him Nelson won't have none of that shit. He's probably the only significant PT player on UCLA this year I can stand. Honeycutt is inching his way up however.

Nice classless WVU fans, chanting Fuck you Turner. I would be embarrassed if I was associated with the University to have the whole student section chanting the F word at a 20 year old kid.

bucknuticus said:
Nice classless WVU fans, chanting Fuck you Turner. I would be embarrassed if I was associated with the University to have the whole student section chanting the F word at a 20 year old kid.
what'd he do? bad foul or something?

Also, how did sparty end up winning their game, I didn't see the end but at one point minnesota was leading by 12 or 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom