• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Two: You get a cupcake, and you get a cupcake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Central Michigan apparently never should have gotten that untimed down, but doesn't change how fucking terrible everything was that lead up to it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
But if the refs declare progress was stopped you can't review that and i don't think the whistle actually blowing has much to do with that.
Ohhh... I understand now. I thought Az said that the play was dead (whistle blew) and then Troy fumbled and it was still given to to Clemson despte the play being dead. But Clemson fumbled and got to keep possession?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ohhh... I understand now. I thought Az said that the play was dead (whistle blew) and then Troy fumbled and it was still given to to Clemson despte the play being dead. But Clemson fumbled and got to keep possession?

Yes.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The heck happened in the OK State game?

4 seconds left on the clock that Oklahoma State had to burn and they were on 4th down. To kill time they just snapped it and threw a bomb out of bounds. Refs called intentional grounding and loss of down, then gave Central Michigan one untimed play with 0 seconds left. CMU scored on a ridiculous deep pass and lateral.

During review of the play, TV announcers mentioned that according to the rulebook they should NOT have gotten that extra play. It even explicitly says in the rules "the game shall not be extended on an offensive foul if 'loss of down' is part of the rule" or something to that effect, so it seems pretty cut and dry that the refs just cost the Gondos that game.

Just for those wondering what happened in this Oklahoma State - Central Michigan game:

1) OSU up 27-24 with a few seconds left, fourth down midfield. Instead of punting and risking a return, they design a pass play but don't send anybody out on a route. QB throws it up in the air downfield while still in the pocket. Time expires. Intentional grounding.

2) Central Michigan awarded an untimed down at midfield, hail mary, catch inside the 10, lateral to dude who takes it all the way to the other sideline to score.

3). Mike Pereira says the rulebook says CMU should never have gotten the untimed down.

cashman

Banned
4 seconds left on the clock that Oklahoma State had to burn and they were on 4th down. To kill time they just snapped it and threw a bomb out of bounds. Refs called intentional grounding and loss of down, then gave Central Michigan one untimed play with 0 seconds left. CMU scored on a deep pass and lateral. During review of the play, announcers mentioned that according to the rulebook they should NOT have gotten that extra play.
It was just a terrible play call. They should have at least done a roll-out

He was clearly stopped but I'm not going to argue because obviously I'm not an objective viewer in this situation.

Lenz44

Banned
I also haven't posted since Northern Colorado announced they are playing Colorado and Florida next year. All the money and losses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom