• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DonasaurusRex said:
welp Fear itself is done...and it was meh over all. Still better than schism though at least fear itself did have an interesting antagonist...that you can learn all about in journey into mystery.

I dont even know if you have to read fear itself just read invincible iron man for drunk dwarves, and journey into mystery for the story the event should have been.

Fear Itself and Schism are the black marks on Fraction and Aaron, as Flashpoint and Countdown are on Johns and Dini.

Spider Island shames all of them.

the chris

krypt0nian said:
Fear Itself and Schism are the black marks on Fraction and Aaron, as Flashpoint and Countdown are on Johns and Dini.

Spider Island shames all of them.
Everything Fraction has done involving Thor and his mythology has been anywhere from bad to mediocre. Gillen has been doing a terrific job on Journey Into Mystery and should have been the one to take over the main Thor title.

the chris said:
Everything Fraction has done involving Thor and his mythology has been anywhere from bad to mediocre, Gillen should have been given the main Thor title.

IMO he already does. Journey Into Mystery is flawless.

the chris

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what did fear itself do actually? what did it change?
wz2T2.gif

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
The Take Out Bandit said:
Everybody seems to forget it made Colossus into the Human Buttplug 2.0.

yeah in the pages of "xmen" so again stuff that wasnt in the main event outshined the main book. It just seemed rushed ...i dont even think they showed thor take 9 steps...he was just on the ground. Was pretty cool seeing cap pick up mjolnir though.

DonasaurusRex said:
in like 5 damn panels he didnt even put up a fight , what a great last stand...

Marvel are the masters of anti-climactic lame deaths.

Man, Shane Davis sounds about how I expected him to sound. Every bit as stiff and stilted as his illustration.

BAWWWW! 95 pages into next Superman graphic novel.

Jack Kirby. Contract. 15 pages written, pencilled, edited a week. STFU WHINER!

berp derp derp berp

Oh yeah and Frank Quietly is all Irish Spring and Lucky Charms all up in this episode of Word Balloon.

I might just have to punch my iPod in its face. >:|

the chris

DonasaurusRex said:
in like 5 damn panels he didnt even put up a fight , what a great last stand...
It also doesn't help that Marvel basically announces when a character is going to die these days.

kswiston

Haven't read Fear Itself 7 yet, but the rest of the series was so unmemorable, that I could never remember if I had even read the previous issue or not when a new one hit the stands.

I miss Marvel circa 2001-2006. They took more risks with creative teams and characters. You didn't have an event ruining the flow of the books you were following every 6-10 issues. Civil War (which I more or less enjoyed at the time) really screwed things up. There are still books more or less untouched by events (Hickman's stuff, Uncanny X-force, etc). But those are inevitably canceled or made the center of a future event.

Having never been a big DC guy, DC events seem to have the opposite effect on me. They grab my attention, give me a broad overview of the DCU, and convince me to pick up a few new monthlies for awhile (before I lose interest again when the creative teams switch).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
The Take Out Bandit said:
Marvel are the masters of anti-climactic lame deaths.

Man, Shane Davis sounds about how I expected him to sound. Every bit as stiff and stilted as his illustration.

BAWWWW! 95 pages into next Superman graphic novel.

Jack Kirby. Contract. 15 pages written, pencilled, edited a week. STFU WHINER!

berp derp derp berp

Oh yeah and Frank Quietly is all Irish Spring and Lucky Charms all up in this episode of Word Balloon.

I might just have to punch my iPod in its face. >:|

hey...the death of captain mar'vell was good... but yeah all the hype is the announcement the execution...yesh. I mean come on Bucky got two pieced...the last half of that book would've been him raging against the impossible if i wrote that shit.

what the hell is wrong with your ipad, stop eating wings and trying to use a touch screen noob.

Dacon said:
Thor's "death" was fucking lame as hell.

It might be the worst "major" death I can think of. As near as I can tell the killing blow never even happened on panel, he's just fighting and then he dies, and it's kind of perfunctory because his death has been prophesied for the last 5 issues.

The worst part is how badly Fraction fumbles the aftermath - its like he's dead, sacrificing himself saving the word and nobody genuinely seems to care that much. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I dont care what anybody says, Matt Fraction is a terrible writer. He just tries to whack you over the head with obvious emotional and hero moments, his stories have no flow or sense of climax. And he tries to go for naturalistic dialogue but isn't tremendously good at it. Hopefully this flop of a story means that he won't be handed any more events.

Schism I actually enjoyed. Even though it wasn't much on plot it got all he characters note perfect, and handled an editorially mandated "Wolverine and Cyclops have to hate each other by issue 5, you figure out the rest" story about as well as it could without compromising the characters. Did Aaron really sell how everyone took up sides at the end? Not really. But the reasoning didn't feel like a cheat either, it made sense.

rbenchley

LiveFromKyoto said:
The worst part is how badly Fraction fumbles the aftermath - its like he's dead, sacrificing himself saving the word and nobody genuinely seems to care that much. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I dont care what anybody says, Matt Fraction is a terrible writer. He just tries to whack you over the head with obvious emotional and hero moments, his stories have no flow or sense of climax. And he tries to go for naturalistic dialogue but isn't tremendously good at it. Hopefully this flop of a story means that he won't be handed any more events.
Complete agreement. Fraction is awful. Reading his work on Fear Itself and Thor is such a disappointment when you compare it with the masterful job that Gillen has done with the same characters in Journey Into Mystery and his prior run on Thor.

Don't speak ill of Matt Fraction, the mothafucker writes Casanova and wrote most of Immortal Iron Fist. He's good when he wants to be(which I guess wasn't Fear Itself, because holy fuck that event was boring)

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Don't speak ill of Matt Fraction, the mothafucker writes Casanova and wrote most of Immortal Iron Fist. He's good when he wants to be(which I guess wasn't Fear Itself, because holy fuck that event was boring)

We'll always have Iron Fist.

DonasaurusRex said:
hey...the death of captain mar'vell was good... but yeah all the hype is the announcement the execution...yesh. I mean come on Bucky got two pieced...the last half of that book would've been him raging against the impossible if i wrote that shit.

Yeah, dig deep to pre-sh*tty writer Marvel and you'll get good stories; but now the only criteria for being a writer at Marvel is having a neato name and you end up with bad stories. :|

what the hell is wrong with your ipad, stop eating wings and trying to use a touch screen noob.

LURN 2 REED MORAN! >:O

Oh, I am excite!

The Tower Chronicles

A supernatural bounty hunter with a shrouded past. John Tower and his team of high-tech mercenaries are all that stand between us and the things that go "bump" in the night. Developed by Matt Wagner, the creator of GRENDEL and MAGE, and Thomas Tull - Executive Producer of 300 & The Dark Knight, with art by acclaimed 2000 AD & Lobo artist Simon Bisley, THE TOWER CHRONICLES will set a new standard in supernatural action/adventure.

New Simon Bisley?! OH LAWD.

LeonSKennedy90 said:

I never understood the "don't criticize a comic book writer because he wrote something good in the past" line of reasoning myself

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
lol i wish i could understand what i read in that post. :D

I agree though but i give Brubaker and Hickman a pass i like their stuff. Fraction and Aaron...no just no they need different properties to work on....and from the looks of mighty thor 7 Copiel isnt on the book any more :( hope they dont mess it up mighty thor was off to a great start. The guard is about to change thought imo the coolest books right now are

DD *finally back to being the man without fear*
Thunderbolts *dont let this one get cancelled people !*
Black Panter DMA *another good .1 issue...which brings the total to 2 good .1 issues*
Daken
Moonknight *sleeper hit*
Uncanny X-Force *what a run, and wolverine isnt a total punching bag in it yay!*
New Avengers *after a rather boring start*
Captain America *the artist is awesome too*
Journey into mystery *best book marvel prints , slightly edging DD...for now imho*
Punisher *was not expecting something this good*
and thanks to spider island spiderman *schism what? best event*

is there an iron fist book out right now? thats what the marvel U needs yes sir.

I dont think there are too many marvel "architects" involved with those books so hopefully the people working on those gems get a shot to do bigger things.

Seems my favorite books aren't sellin well, Thunderbolts, Black Panther and Avengers Academy from Marvel and Blue Beetle and Static from DC. Fuck.

LeonSKennedy90 said:

James Robinson wrote Starman. Doesn't mean he's not the same guy that wrote Cry For Justice. Fraction hasn't produced a turkey on that level, but I don't really think any of his 'good' stuff is that exciting, either.

I've been rereading the long Halloween and i'm picking up on tons of details I missed the first time around. I don't know what happened to Loeb but none of his recent stuff compares to this.

BlueScrote said:
I've been rereading the long Halloween and i'm picking up on tons of details I missed the first time around. I don't know what happened to Loeb bit none of his recent stuff compares to this.

His son wrote the good stuff.

SpiderJerusalem said:
I feel like I'm missing something in the Legions. Was there something in Flashpoint that goes between the Earthman stuff and the reboot?

No Legion stuff in Flashpoint at all. Whatcha missing?

Did you follow the Legion Academy stuff in Adventure Comics?

Zen

Banned
krypt0nian said:
WTF?!?!

Fucking cancelling Alpha Flight...assholes.

I think the writing was on the wall as soon as it was basically a reset to classic Alpha Flight that has virtually no connection to modern Marvel and readers don't give a crap about. I was very disappointed when the on going wasn't featuring Omega Flight as the team seemed pretty cool, and had a lot of ties to the rest of the Marvel U to help draw readers in.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Seems my favorite books aren't sellin well, Thunderbolts, Black Panther and Avengers Academy from Marvel and Blue Beetle and Static from DC. Fuck.

They never do, at least that's my experience.

Granted, nothing is selling well these days.

Cheska

Reading through Schism and Ultimate X-Men,and damn I'm hooked. As if I wasn't already on a marvelous X-Men ride, this has already pushed me over the edge.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what did fear itself do actually? what did it change?

I heard someone say the same thing about Final Crisis and laughed at him, literally, for fourteen minutes straight. I thought I was going to pass out at around the 12 minute mark but someone got me a Poland Spring, which was helpful, because it allowed me to end my laugh tirade with a spit take. (I was polite enough to turn away.)

What it did was have at least three awesome things in every issue. But I see where you're coming from, in comparison to even the preview of Wolverine & The X-Men, that's a weak result. That book has at least three awesome things in every panel.

comixology

They have a website, iphone/ipad, and soon (or has) android apps. If you create an account with them it wont be tied to any one device but your comixology account.

Dram said:
His son died of cancer.

I figured that was going to be the response I was going to get. You would think that would lead to some darker stories from him.

I still haven't read Haunted Knight or Dark Victory so I may pick those up soon.

BenjaminBirdie said:
What it did was have at least three awesome things in every issue.

Can you imagine if it had assembled those awesome-thing panels into a coherent story with a meaningful narrative arc? That would've been good.

FEAR ITSELF!!!

"The world is scared because of a big bad guy who makes everyone scared!"

*Show 7 months of everybody not really acting any more scared than usual*

"The worthy are here, and they are big and tough and important and unstoppable!"

*Cue series of meaningless wrestling matches until Thor's plot hammer flies through Ben Grimm, and then the weapons all just fly away at the end*

"Nazi robots are attacking America! Is America doomed???"

*No. Even though America (and the entire planet) forgot it had a military, luckily Daredevil brought two sticks and was there to punch out the paper robot army.*

"The Red Skull has giant boobs now!"

*Buzz off, you disgusting hacks. I mean, really.*

Odin is going to destroy the world!!! Is there no hope for humanity???

*Really? This is the fucking god of vikings? "oh golly, the Serpent is so strong, it totally makes sense that like, if Dr. Doom, Reed Richards, the High Evolutionary, Dr. Strange, the Silver Surfer, the Blue Marvel and every other mega-powered dude with a vested interest in still having a planet teamed up they couldn't take this guy, even though it's prophesied that Thor takes him out single-handed. I'd better destroy the world. BTW, isn't it weird that I have the power to destroy the entire planet and the Serpent in it, but I can't just destroy the Serpent? I think that's kinda weird. Especially because I have a crack team of dwarves who can whip up an unstoppable Serpent-slaying arsenal in like a day. Yeah, that's definitely really weird. It's almost as if the cosmos had some grand narrator who just makes stuff happen and didn't think any of this through."*

This event was so lame. It was basically just half a year+ of a guy posing action figures and creating giant plot holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom