• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
krypt0nian said:
The man has:

Batman
Swamp Thing
Severed
American Vampire
American Vampire mini just wrapped

All running at once!

And all are top notch. He's making a mockery of most other writers. Haha

Then I think I need to check out American Vampire and Severed. Only reading his Batman and Swamp Thing currently but I've got to read more Snyder after I initially passed on his Detective run like an idiot.

Shin Johnpv said:
I had a chance to read Batman, Supergirl, Justice League, and Green Lantern Corps so far this week. Still need to get to Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Nightwing.

Batman was just awesome, these are the kind of Batman stories I want. Synder is just fucking nailing it perfectly. Put this man in charge of all things Batman!

Supergirl was alright. Not sure I'm digging where I think the book is going, or the things they seem to be hinting at, we'll see though. I'm also sick of Super heroes fighting every time they meet each other in the DCnU. It has more story than the first issue at least, we'll see where they go with it. I thought the last version of Supergirl had finally really gotten it right. So for me this has a lot to live up to.

Justice League, again more story than last issue thankfully. I really feel like they're turning Superman into a bit of a prick in DCnU. He just comes off as such an asshole, I don't like it.

GLC, ohh hey look it's a secret hidden group that seems to have blades made of the same Will power force powering the GL's rings. Let me guess the guardians will pretend they don't know anything about them, and then in the last minute admit to them being an early fuck up.

I actually really enjoyed Supergirl, I really like the idea that
Kara was much older than Clark on Krypton but took longer to get to Earth
(was that a spoiler?)

And the art is just fantastic.

I really enjoyed Batman as well, the art is incredible, but I got kinda lost on the last page when Bruce gets tackled out of the window, just some weird perspectives and hard to follow the choreography IMO, maybe i just read it too quickly.

WascallyWabbit said:
I actually really enjoyed Supergirl, I really like the idea that Kara was much older than Clark on Krypton but took longer to get to Earth (was that a spoiler?)
No, that's pretty much how it's always been.

Xater

VGChampion said:
Then I think I need to check out American Vampire and Severed. Only reading his Batman and Swamp Thing currently but I've got to read more Snyder after I initially passed on his Detective run like an idiot.

I don't know about Severed (I don't read it) but american Vampire is fantastic!

I'm not sure why I never bothered with Marvel before, but I'm actually really enjoying this exposure to the Ultimate Marvel back cat so far. Its different yet familiar, with old and new to it too.

Spookie

Chriswok said:
I'm not sure why I never bothered with Marvel before

I know why I never bothered with marvel before. They have so many teams/individuals/team-crossovers/misc I had no idea where to begin. Fortunately Schism has forced me to take the leap.

Chriswok said:
I'm not sure why I never bothered with Marvel before, but I'm actually really enjoying this exposure to the Ultimate Marvel back cat so far. Its different yet familiar, with old and new to it too.
Buy Thunderbolts issue 163 brah, I took the plunge and the upcoming story looks awesome.

ReiGun

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Buy Thunderbolts issue 163 brah, I took the plunge and the upcoming story looks awesome.
Is that a good jumping in point. I was thinking of giving Thunderbolts a shot.

Anybody ready for The Dexterisher?!

The Punisher is described as an hour-long procedural with a Marvel signature and a new take on one of the comic book giant’s iconic characters, Frank Castle, a rising star detective with the New York Police Department who moonlights as the vigilante Punisher, seeking justice for those the system has failed.

F*ck off Fox/Marvel TV! >:|

Speaking of f*cking right off. . .

Mid Ohio Con ticket prices. $5 off!

Go to check out, bullsh*t ticket scamming fees $4.87.

I'll just save the pain in my balls and pay cash money you f*cking idiots.

AND THIS IS ON ONE BEER! >:O

Fortunately I don't need alcohol to get angry.

Time for gin. That will just make it funny for spectators.

Zekes!

Where's a good place to start with Black Panther? I've read a couple of books with him in it (Just finished reading Black Panther: Spider-Island) and I've decided I need some Black Panther in my life.

Nesotenso

Sad news about the editorial and production staff layoffs at Marvel. Hope they find stable work soon. Don't know if cost cutting through redundancies of hard working people is the way to go if you don't meet profit expectations.

Can anyone recommend me any good recent non superhero comics? I don't read that many comics, I loved Y:The Last Man and to a lesser extent Walking Dead. Something in that vein, fun to read and a real page turner.

Satch

Banned
alex chilton said:
Can anyone recommend me any good recent non superhero comics? I don't read that many comics, I loved Y:The Last Man and to a lesser extent Walking Dead. Something in that vein, fun to read and a real page turner.
Severed and American Vampire, by Scott Snyder, are good reads, if krypt0nian is to be trusted. :p

I might actually have to give them a go myself. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

edit: Also Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets is another I see recommended often.

alex chilton said:

Hotwire from Radical is rather enjoyable if you like the paranormal crossed with sci-fi.

alex chilton said:
Criminal: The Last Of The Innocent, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips.

Nesotenso

Spookie said:
I know why I never bothered with marvel before. They have so many teams/individuals/team-crossovers/misc I had no idea where to begin. Fortunately Schism has forced me to take the leap.

I know it can seem intimidating to people, but if you are interested in certain Marvel books/ characters and are looking for jumping on points I 'll gladly help you out.

alex chilton said:

Richard Stark's Parker by Darwyn Cooke.

Edit: Possibly taken out of context at this point in time:

philhester Phillip Hester

Was gonna make a tweet series about how comics creators will probably never create franchises for the big 2 again, nor should, nor could.

BOOYAH!

philhester Phillip Hester
But I'm not smart enough. The future is all Hellboys, Goons, Robos, and Invincibles.

lol

Blader

Still enjoying Batman and GLC. Wonder Woman #2 was a big improvement on the first, for me.

Dropping JL and Blue Beetle.

Nesotenso

dream said:
I'm about to start Habibi...

Who was the guy in the epilogue of All Nighter who "looked familiar" supposed to be?

have to reread the first issue to confirm but
i think it is the dude from whose house she stole from in the first issue.

I picked up Batman #1 & 2 since I kept hearing what a great job Synder is doing on the book. I enjoyed both issues thoroughly. Batman playing a more detective role is a plus. Also, I'm looking forward to see what this new group of bad guys will bring to the plate. Greg Capullo doing the art which I was not aware of until now is awesome as well. I loved it when he took over the Spawn books for awhile. Looking forward to #3!! :D

I also picked up JL #2. It's definitely longer than #1, beautiful artwork as always by Jim, the story...meh. Definitely nothing new being brought to the book. Regardless, I'll keep buying since I love Jim's artwork.

Rafa=FedKilla said:

I'll give that a go, thanks for the suggestion!

Spookie said:

You know, I think that might be my reason as well. I watched all the Marvel cartoons from the 90s, but just didn't know where to start with the comics.

I was pretty clueless with Marvel but got on the unlimited digital subscription. I think its well worthit to read some of the older stuf and familiarise yourself with it

Satchwar said:
Severed and American Vampire, by Scott Snyder, are good reads, if krypt0nian is to be trusted. :p

I might actually have to give them a go myself. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

edit: Also Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets is another I see recommended often.

Severed is only three issues old. Great, creepy issues but only three.

American Vampire, however is a must buy, Satchwar. First trade is out and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Extremely well fleshed out characters that you'll love/hate.

And the mini series, Survival of the Fittest is a master class in proper comic book plotting and pacing, that also happens to have Felicia Book, one of the best female characters being written today in comics.

This is the comic I give friends that don't read comics.

Just got my first (and second) lot of comics in ages, mainly thanks to the "all new 52" DC releases. And the fact I found a shop near me (in Australia) that doesn't rort on list price. $2.99US = $3.50AUD, $3.99=$5AUD etc.

Started out with:

Static shock
Batman and robin
the dark night
justice league
the flash
superman
night wing
batman

Have decided to keep going with:

justice league
the flash
superman
night wing
batman (enjoyed this one the most)

Anything I should look into that Ive missed of the 52's before the #1's are hard to find?

Also picked up the new TMNT, it's okay, just not sure I like the artwork enough to keep buying.

Is there any marvel stuff I can pick up and get into without much hassle (mainly story wise)?

Spookie

bodyboarder said:
Anything I should look into that Ive missed of the 52's before the #1's are hard to find?

Is there any marvel stuff I can pick up and get into without much hassle (mainly story wise)?

Action Comics
Batwoman
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
All Star Western

Are all excellent comics.

Marvel stuff to get in to, well I'd recommend:

Uncanny X-Force requires some effort to get in to but it's AMAZING. I jumped on with that.
Venom
Daredevil
X-Men Schism and then decide if you'd like to get in to the 'normal' x-men teams from there since two will be relaunching this month and next.
Ultimate Spider-Man
Punisher

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out next time I'm at the comic shop.

One thing I had forgotten about comics is how short they are. Read the first lot I bought in a bit over an hour. Do many people read them once and that's it, or have a habit of re-reading?

bodyboarder said:
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out next time I'm at the comic shop.

One thing I had forgotten about comics is how short they are. Read the first lot I bought in a bit over an hour. Do many people read them once and that's it, or have a habit of re-reading?

It depends.

I read the books I don't really care for first. Save the books I enjoy for last. If it's a book that comes out infrequently, or the output from a writer or artist is rare I'll stockpile those issues and read them in one fell swoop.

And then I'll sometimes think - I COULD DIE TOMORROW IN A CAR ACCIDENT and read all my favorites first.

It depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Since I buy stuff from creators I admire I also spend a lot of time poring over the panels and pages to admire the craft too.

bodyboarder said:

When I read in paper issues I would read em once and then bag and board then rarely read them again until the trade was out. Such a waste of money...

Now that I'm all digital I read old issues a lot and only spend money on the hardcover's I really like.

"You shouldn't have left Gotham, Firefly."

"We're not as liberal with our criminals down here."

*proceeds to punch through Firefly's helmet*

358z5lx.jpg

So Geoff Johns burned up all his talent writing Hawkman? :D

Heading back to the comic shop to pick up The Avengers that was all sold out on Wednesday and think I'll pick up American Vampire. If they have any issues of severed I may just have to pick them up as well. Oh man I thought this was going to be a light week for myself.

Spookie said:
Action Comics
Batwoman
Swamp Thing
Animal Man
All Star Western

Pretty much after my own heart. I'm not usually a fan of any time of Western media but All Star Western was great. All of these comics are comics from characters I never read before except for Moore's Swamp Thing and I'm glad I went with them. Don't know if I'll stick with Action after Morrison ends but by that point I may be more of a Supes fan.

Spookie

Just finished reading Batman & Robin. I wasn't aware how much of a little shit Damien is! Tempted to keep buying it to see what happens to him!

Nesotenso

bodyboarder said:

For me going monthly is great for titles I can't wait for but usually I buy trade paper backs. I don't get the time to reread all my books but yeah sometimes I'll reread particular collections.

Nesotenso

The Beat and Bleeding cool both had articles about the Marvel lay offs and the CEO Issac Perlmutter seems a nightmare to work under. Guy took the company out of bankruptcy but seems to have no fucking clue that sometimes expenditure is required if you want to grow.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/10/2...ate-is-coming-from-inside-the-house-of-ideas/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/20/the-spinning-pennies-of-marvel’s-isaac-perlmutter/

The Beat article interestingly points out that Issac is the largest shareholder at Disney after Job's death. Hopefully the board kicks him to the curb after his contract for 5 years is up and Disney decides to take a more hands on approach.

Nesotenso said:

Ironies abound. Ike’s ban on carrying inventory means that Marvel’s book division has a fraction of the success it should have. To show how shortsighted this is, having a strong backlist hit is like being able to print your own money. You print more WATCHMEN, current kerfuffle aside, you sell more WATCHMEN. You print more DARK KNIGHT, you sell more DARK KNIGHT. With Marvel’s incredible backlog of timeless classics by Stan, Jack, Steve, Roy, Chris, and so on — and modern stories like CIVIL WAR and SECRET INVASION — can you imagine how much money Marvel would make if they could really invest in their bookstore program or develop NEW stories for the book trade?

I always thought it was weird that Marvel doesn't keep stories like Kraven's Last Hunt and Daredevil Born Again constantly on shelves like DKR and Watchmen. Now I know why.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I always thought it was weird that Marvel doesn't keep stories like Kraven's Last Hunt and Daredevil Born Again constantly on shelves like DKR and Watchmen. Now I know why.

That also explains why DC has always done better in TPB sales even though Marvel does better with weeklies. It's nice to be able to catch up on the last 5-10 years of a characters history. Now, it would be nice if DC numbered the damned things.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
welp Fear itself is done...and it was meh over all. Still better than schism though at least fear itself did have an interesting antagonist...that you can learn all about in journey into mystery.

I dont even know if you have to read fear itself just read invincible iron man for drunk dwarves, and journey into mystery for the story the event should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom