• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK, digital comics - does anyone have any experience with the other companies like Dark Horse, Image etc? I've found a Dark Horse app but it looks like you have to buy through their website (weird) and they don't have the buffy-verse comics for sale (double-weird). Image is available from Comixology, right? And Marvel?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I throw the baby out with the bathwater...

Chairhome

So, I was browsing Comixology and noticed they finally put up the Batman - Black Mirror issues. I have the trade on pre-order from Amazon, but the price would be about the same, I think, if I got the digital copies. I should just wait for the trade, right?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Chriswok said:
Man, Ultimate Spiderman moves pretty quickly. He's had his mask removed twice, and Mary Jane already knows he's Spiderman.

Ultimate Spiderman is hands down my favourite Spidey title. If you're in for the long haul, the twists and turns in the story are just staggering and I really dig the Jewish Peter that Bendis writers, that rhythm to the dialogue perfectly suits the wisecracking character. Hands down the best supporting cast of any comic out there too.

You are in for so much fun, you don't even know.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Ultimate Spiderman is hands down my favourite Spidey title. If you're in for the long haul, the twists and turns in the story are just staggering and I really dig the Jewish Peter that Bendis writers, that rhythm to the dialogue perfectly suits the wisecracking character. Hands down the best supporting cast of any comic out there too.

You are in for so much fun, you don't even know.

I'm enjoying it so far, the artwork appeals to me. Not sure why. Its crisp, but slightly edgy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Chriswok said:
I'm enjoying it so far, the artwork appeals to me. Not sure why. Its crisp, but slightly edgy.

Yeah, Bagley ain't too bad. IMO he really hit his stride in the middle of the run but got a little weaker towards the end. Stuart immomen was the second artist and his stuff is my absolute favourite. After Bagley for so long it's just incredible work. And then the two artists that ended the run were awesome too, pichelli and lafuente, both amazing.

Nesotenso

Measley said:

Far from it. From the reporting by Beat and Bleeding Cool, it seems to be a case of penny pinching from Ike Perlmutter. Marvel's publishing division is as profitable as ever but profit expectations may not have been met. Seems like a case of Ike wanting Disney to avoid taking a direct control of operations.

It gets tiring when anyone puts out the suggestion that the output of the big 2 is shit. You are tired of content from the big 2? Fine don't read it. But the notion that their output is shit is false. The more accurate statement would be it's not to your liking.

Satch

Banned
DC COMICS

SUPERMAN & CO.

oRXoR.jpg
UCnK8.jpg

MAY110255 ABSOLUTE ALL STAR SUPERMAN HC NEW PTG $99.99
AUG110182 SUPERMAN #2 $2.99

BATMAN & CO.

HApjI.jpg
jhajl.jpg

AUG110191 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #2 $2.99
AUG110234 DC COMICS PRESENTS CATWOMAN GUARDIAN OF GOTHAM #1 $7.99

GREEN LANTERN & THE CORPS

07T5z.jpg

AUG110206 GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS #2 $2.99

FLASH

Y5bK8.jpg

AUG110167 FLASH #2 $2.99

AQUAMAN

aUlZB.jpg

AUG110165 AQUAMAN #2 $2.99

TEAMS

qSSN3.jpg
H2Nzd.jpg
FREHj.jpg

AUG110223 BLACKHAWKS #2 $2.99
AUG110210 JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #2 $2.99
AUG110232 LEGION SECRET ORIGIN #1 (OF 6) $2.99
JUN110280 SUPERMAN BATMAN SORCERER KINGS HC $22.99
AUG110226 TEEN TITANS #2 $2.99

MISC.

HbE64.jpg
zCBDo.jpg
EbjNw.jpg

AUG110225 ALL STAR WESTERN #2 $3.99
AUG110236 DC COMICS PRESENTS JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS SAMPLER #1 $7.99
AUG110278 DMZ #70 (MR) $2.99
AUG110171 FURY OF FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MEN #2 $2.99
AUG110274 GEARS OF WAR #20 (MR) $2.99
JUL110291 GREEN WOMAN TP (MR) $17.99
AUG110214 I VAMPIRE #2 $2.99
AUG110272 MAD MAGAZINE #512 $5.99
AUG110174 SAVAGE HAWKMAN #2 $2.99
JUL110294 SCALPED #53 (MR) $2.99
AUG110276 SPACEMAN #1 (OF 9) (MR) $1.00
AUG110220 VOODOO #2 $2.99

Aquaman, TDK, Flash, Green Lantern New Guardians, Legion, Hawkman, Superman, Spaceman, Teen Titans, TMNT, Daredevil and Wolverine and the X-Men for me. Yay!

ReiGun

Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk (shop is giving #1 out free), Wolverine and the X-Men, Aquaman, Cloak and Dagger, and Justice League Dark.

Really wanted that Absolute DC Hardcover of All Star Superman. It's just too much though so decided to just rebuy the TPB (misplaced my originals) so I can read it to my son.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Really wanted that Absolute DC Hardcover of All Star Superman. It's just too much though so decided to just rebuy the TPB (misplaced my originals) so I can read it to my son.

The absolute is so beautiful but I think you have the right idea, it's not exactly kid friendly at that price. I gave my original hardcovers to my mates 6 year old, he loves them and carries them everywhere. Makes my heart swell :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Quiet week -

All-Star Western #2
FF #11
Red Wing #4
Ultimates #3

...and this will be the week that I tell the comic shop that I quit print. Eek.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Quiet week -

All-Star Western #2
FF #11
Red Wing #4
Ultimates #3

...and this will be the week that I tell the comic shop that I quit print. Eek.

Oh that will be fun, I kinda never told mine, just stopped going. Oh well...

What digital service are you using?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
WascallyWabbit said:
Oh that will be fun, I kinda never told mine, just stopped going. Oh well...

What digital service are you using?

Mostly comixology since I'm mainly a DC guy. Switching to trades for the rest and Ultimate Marvel, especially since they keep doubleshipping. Might go digital for the new X-Men books since they're going day and date from what I hear.

And then I might have to go black market for those very few books that slip through the cracks (let me pay money for Buffy, Dark Horse!!)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AQUAMAN
FLASH
FURY OF FIRESTORM
GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS
LEGION SECRET ORIGIN
SUPERMAN
TEEN TITANS

Fury of Firestorm is on it's last issue unless is wows me. I am less interested in the tween character dynamics than I was the characters set up post Blackest Night..

Legion is being given a chance because 1) I like Sci-Fi 2) I have no fucking idea what is going on in Legion.

Finished up reading The Marquis and Wrightson's Frankenstein. I *really* liked The Marquis. I looked up if there was another book and found some interviews where Davis says the next book comes out in 2010... It's late 2011 and there doesn't seem to be any news since.

The art in Frankenstein was great. I wonder how long it took Wrightson to draw. The last time I read Frankenstein was in 7th grade and I don't remember it being that mopey. Half the book is Frankenstein whining about how he can't enjoy flowers and shit because he made a zombie. Also seems like Shelley came up with the most ridiculous story device ever so she can write the monster the same way she writes Frankenstein and everyone else.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
powersurge said:
I'd go digital if we actually owned the comics and could back them up without crazy DRM. Till then I'll stick to paper.

Why not buy them legally and then download drm free scans? At least you'll be able to take the moral high ground while still having the long term storage. Me, I don't really care all that much.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, when does Wolverine & The X-Men #1 come out already I mean ---

ZZAAWWWMFG IT'S OUT TOMORROW AAAAAAAA

REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

COMICS IS OVAH

I wonder if I'm the only person looking forward to UXM more, primarily because I find Gillen a better writer than Aaron. (Albeit not drastically so.)

Father_Brain said:
I wonder if I'm the only person looking forward to UXM more, primarily because I find Gillen a better writer than Aaron. (Albeit not drastically so.)

Of course you are! Wolverine's team is so much cooler!!

(No, I'm also really looking forward to UXM. I looove Gillen too.)

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, when does Wolverine & The X-Men #1 come out already I mean ---

ZZAAWWWMFG IT'S OUT TOMORROW AAAAAAAA

QWt5I.jpg

REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

COMICS IS OVAH

canceled some DCs to make room for this and Uncanny Xmen

ASM
Flash #2
Aquaman #2
All-Star Western #2
Legion: Secret Origin #1

I'd like to check out Incredible Hulk #1, but is Marvel pulling the $3.99 bullshit with it?

I'm digital exclusive these days. And Marvel's unwillingness to drop digital prices on $3.99 books a month after their release really pisses me off.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
ASM
Flash #2
Aquaman #2
All-Star Western #2
Legion: Secret Origin #1

I'd like to check out Incredible Hulk #1, but is Marvel pulling the $3.99 bullshit with it?

I'm digital exclusive these days. And Marvel's unwillingness to drop digital prices on $3.99 books a month after their release really pisses me off.

What books do marvel put out day and date? I hear the new x titles are, is FF?

Satch

Banned
it's my fav's birthday today!

70 years of being the most wonderful woman in the world

THE BADDEST BITCH IN THE GAME

A19C9.jpg

i miss your warmth :(

ReiGun

Today is Wonder Woman's birthday? Guess I'll celebrate by digging into all those WW comics from Gail's run I got at NYCC.

Also, cake!

tumblr_lifveqb6oV1qbujox.jpg

Jedeye Sniv said:
What books do marvel put out day and date? I hear the new x titles are, is FF?
Lately they've been releasing ASM and all of the Spider-island books day & date with print. There are a few others as well and I'm assuming that they'll let new #1s go down the day & date path as well.

But regardless of digital or physical sales, I'm not a fan of their $3.99 pricing.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Lately they've been releasing ASM and all of the Spider-island books day & date with print. There are a few others as well and I'm assuming that they'll let new #1s go down the day & date path as well.

Not sure about that. The Spider-Man books have been day-and-date since Spider-Island began, and all the X-books will be day and date when they start tying in with Regenesis (which will vary from book to book; X-Factor isn't being branded as a Regenesis book until January). In the broader Marvel U, Fear Itself: The Fearless is day-and-date (which I don't think was announced in advance, though I could be wrong), and Battle Scars probably will be as well.

I'm guessing that all the Avengers books will be day-and-date by the time the movie is out, and that Marvel will have implemented it linewide no later than this time next year, but for now, it's anyone's guess when exactly it'll be phased in for the ongoing non-X-books. Ideally, all major #1s and relaunches going forward will be (Hulk, Point One, Defenders, Fantastic Four #600), but it's not clear that that'll be the case.

Schism took nearly all the wind out of those sails for me. Sticking with X-Force and New Mutants. The main teams got beat by a bunch of lame* kids. Then add the price tag to the equation and it's a miss.

*SUPAH LAME

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Not sure about that. The Spider-Man books have been day-and-date since Spider-Island began, and all the X-books will be day and date when they start tying in with Regenesis (which will vary from book to book; X-Factor isn't being branded as a Regenesis book until January). In the broader Marvel U, Fear Itself: The Fearless is day-and-date (which I don't think was announced in advance, though I could be wrong), and Battle Scars probably will be as well.

I'm guessing that all the Avengers books will be day-and-date by the time the movie is out, and that Marvel will have implemented it linewide no later than this time next year, but for now, it's anyone's guess when exactly it'll be phased in for the ongoing non-X-books. Ideally, all major #1s and relaunches going forward will be (Hulk, Point One, Defenders, Fantastic Four #600), but it's not clear that that'll be the case.

Jeeze that's kinda a clusterfuck right there. Trades it is then! This issue of FF is the last of the current arc anyway so I can start buying the trades from here on out.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
Chriswok said:
Whow, Ultimate X-Men seems... different. Edgier, though I'm guessing that's the whole point of the Ultimate Universe.

ultimatex.png

i'm really digging this series. thought i couldn't get into it without the main characters they used to anchor the XMen on for years.

the only thing i don't like is the Gargoyle looking character.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
krypt0nian said:
Schism took nearly all the wind out of those sails for me. Sticking with X-Force and New Mutants. The main teams got beat by a bunch of lame* kids. Then add the price tag to the equation and it's a miss.

*SUPAH LAME

pretty much... Schism made the xmen look like straight up rookies, it was supposed to make them ready for the big time and integrate them in with other super hero properties. To the back of the line Scott, i think the kids at the FF could beat your team with Doc Doom chaperoning.

my name is ed said:
Finished up reading The Marquis and Wrightson's Frankenstein. I *really* liked The Marquis. I looked up if there was another book and found some interviews where Davis says the next book comes out in 2010... It's late 2011 and there doesn't seem to be any news since.

The good news is it's still coming.

The bad news is Guy Davis is busy working on the new Guillermo del Toro movie and that's why it's delayed. :D

PENIS AND VAGINA MONSTERS FOR EVERYONE!

The truth is it's all good news. More Marquis and more Del Toro goodness. YES!

Satchwar said:
it's my fav's birthday today!

70 years of being the most wonderful woman in the world

THE BADDEST BITCH IN THE GAME

A19C9.jpg

i miss your warmth :(

Nosagatall! :O

The bad news is I'm buying Savage Hawkman again tomorrow.

The good news is I still have unread Geoff Johns / Rags Morales Hawkman to cleanse my palate with. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom