• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phoenix4 said:
What i love about The Walking Dead is the tension and bleakness of the story. Can someone recommend me some real 'page turner' series? I was thinking of starting with Sin City, good choice?

100 Bullets.

notworksafe said:
Yeah sadly. The good news is that I already got a surgery to put my hip back together, so now it's all about learning to walk again.

Hey, maybe while you're there the physical therapist can teach you how to play some Street Fighter. Wah ha ha ha!

How long is your therapy going to take?

notworksafe

:( SF needs to be a part of every rehab program.

As far as total length, I'm not sure but it looks like I'll be spending about 1-3 weeks in out of house rehab depending how quickly I progress.

Sorry to hear that brah. I'm not injured, but illness has kept me bedridden for the past two months with no end in sight. I just read comics all day.

Captain N

I understand New 52 is the new junk right now, but why can't podcasts be talking about Marvel as well? This month in podcasts seems to be all New 52

krypt0nian said:
Excellent! This takes away my two biggest fears of the relaunch and Supes. The Legion is still in Superman continuity and my favorite Dog of Steel exists!

Oh yeah, and Andy Kubert is cool too, I guess. ;)
There was a reference to the Legion in the first issue.

Satch

Banned
DC COMICS

SUPERMAN & CO.

fgbaX.jpg
04Xt2.jpg

AUG110183 SUPERBOY #2 $2.99
JUL110260 SUPERMAN MON EL TP VOL 02 MAN OF VALOR $17.99
JUL110259 SUPERMAN NIGHTWING AND FLAMEBIRD TP VOL 02 $17.99

BATMAN & CO.

v6ahL.jpg
a9LsH.jpg
RzoXS.jpg

AUG110195 BATGIRL #2 $2.99
AUG110194 BATMAN AND ROBIN #2 $2.99
JUN110266 BATMAN ARKHAM CITY HC $22.99
JUL110250 BATMAN LIFE AFTER DEATH TP $14.99
AUG110196 BATWOMAN #2 $2.99
AUG110239 DC COMICS PRESENTS BATMAN BLINK #1 $7.99

GREEN LANTERN & THE CORPS

nNSU8.jpg

AUG110202 GREEN LANTERN #2 $2.99

TEAMS

w2LWi.jpg
4oroK.jpg

MAR110352 ABSOLUTE IDENTITY CRISIS HC $99.99
JUN110271 BIRDS OF PREY HC VOL 02 DEATH OF ORACLE $24.99
AUG110237 DC COMICS PRESENTS JLA AGE OF WONDER #1 $7.99
AUG110216 DEMON KNIGHTS #2 $2.99
JUN110278 JUSTICE LEAGUE GENERATION LOST HC VOL 02 $39.99
AUG110230 LEGION LOST #2 $2.99
AUG110221 SUICIDE SQUAD #2 $2.99

MISC.

NfLI5.jpg
Kwctb.jpg
WU66K.jpg
j1hT0.jpg

JUN110343 100 BULLETS HC BOOK 01 (MR) $49.99
AUG110280 AMERICAN VAMPIRE SURVIVAL OT FITTEST #5 (OF 5) (MR) $2.99
AUG110219 DEATHSTROKE #2 $2.99
AUG110213 FRANKENSTEIN AGENT OF SHADE #2 $2.99
AUG110218 GRIFTER #2 $2.99
AUG110173 MISTER TERRIFIC #2 $2.99
AUG110176 MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #1 (OF 6) $3.99
AUG110285 NORTHLANDERS #45 (MR) $2.99
AUG110215 RESURRECTION MAN #2 $2.99
AUG110208 SHADE #1 (OF 12) $2.99
AUG110290 UNEXPECTED #1 (MR) $7.99
AUG110292 UNWRITTEN #30 (MR) $2.99
JUL110263 VICTORIAN UNDEAD II TP SHERLOCK HOLMES VS DRACULA $14.99
MAY110280 WORLD OF WARCRAFT CURSE OF THE WORGEN HC $22.99

Parallax said:
its so good, but damn is it depressing.

Does 100 Bullets hold up through the whole thing? I've always wanted to check it out, but I heard it petered out towards the latter half of the series.

Since Malcolm Dragon is M.I.A. here is my pick for the week!

16912.jpg

Orchid #1

From the mind of musician Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, The Nightwatchman) with art by Scott Hepburn (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic), Orchid is the tale of a teenage prostitute who learns that she is more than the role society has imposed upon her.

When the seas rose, genetic codes were smashed. Human settlements are ringed by a dense wilderness from which ferocious new animal species prey on the helpless. The high ground belongs to the rich and powerful that overlook swampland shantytowns from their fortress-like cities. Iron-fisted rule ensures order and allows the wealthy to harvest the poor as slaves. Welcome to the world of Orchid.

Preview @ Dark Horse dot commmm!

SmellyHands said:
Does 100 Bullets hold up through the whole thing? I've always wanted to check it out, but I heard it petered out towards the latter half of the series.

That's when it gets to the best!

It changes a lot but I found that half to be the most compelling. The first few storylines stick with its elevator pitch but the series is really about Crime and America and the far reaching conspiracy behind it all.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Sounds great. Was Clayface behind the whole thing? Are they like brother and sister?

;D
There was a story where Clayface ambushed Wonder Woman and absorbed her into himself (because, you know, she's made of CLAY) and when she broke free she had shrunk/de-aged and he had gained her powers. She enlisted Donna Troy's help (you know, Donna Troy, the original Wonder Girl and Diana's twin) in getting back to her old self.

A lot of stories have dealt with her being made of clay. I can't believe you hadn't heard that at some point.

EDIT: The story I mentioned was written by Brian K. Vaughn even! With Scott Kolins on pencils!

Cheska

Damn, loving the hell out of Astonishing X-Men so far. That art :O Such a nice change from New X-Men.

What do you fine folk think about X-Men Legacy? Is it worth dropping some money down on previous issues to catch up?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
Pretty uninteresting week for DC. I'll probably just buy some back issues instead.

LOL @ Absolute Identity Crisis

Batwoman, Demon Knights, Resurrection Man. That's not a bad week by any means.

And yeah Absolute IC is ridiculous. Event books rarely hold up years after the fact. I always think they exist more to move the story forwards than to actually tell a decent story themselves.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So..

Red Lanterns and JLI are both being culled from the pull list. Detective Comics is really, really close to being dropped as well.

People need to buy more Ghostbusters and Black Panther.

This week.
Green Lantern 2
Superboy 2
Batgirl 2
Legion Lost 2
Ressurection Man 2
Black Panther Spider Island tie in
Black Spiderman 3
Captain America 4
Ghostbusters 2.

dream

Ogedai_Khan said:
After reading the post that Brian Wood will be on Wolverine, I decide to google what else he's working on... and happily found out that he'll be on-board for Conan at Dark Horse with Becky Cloonan?! Made my day. :)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/03/conan-by-brian-wood-and-becky-cloonan/

PgyBL.gif

Man, that's so bittersweet to me. I love Brian and Becky and Local is, like, my favorite book ever. I just don't know if they can have the same tone and style on stuff like Conan.

dream said:
Man, that's so bittersweet to me. I love Brian and Becky and Local is, like, my favorite book ever. I just don't know if they can have the same tone and style on stuff like Conan.

I figure between his Northlanders and her Wolves mini, it's going to be pretty awersome.

notworksafe

Thanks for the well wishes guys, they really mean a lot. I'm doing pretty well in that I was able to move to a chair today (with some help) so I'm feeling accomplished today.

Since I'm mostly stuck in a hospital bed my comics options are sadly limited  So I'm only reading what friends have brought me. Note that these are written while on a pretty heavy Percoset dosage. I make zero apologies though. 

Static Shock 2: What the shit? So Static gets his arm cut off and only needs Advil and ice? Being a superhero sounds awesome. The whole dilemma he is having with not being able to tell his family about being Static is stupid though. (semi-spoiler)
They already live with a random bizarre clone of his sister that appeared out of nowhere.
Being a superhero is actually sorta normal compared to that. Also I'm digging the weird alien and fish people designs. They made an already drugged up read through this book much more enjoyable. 

Nightwing 1 (yeah, old): Never read Nightwing before this, so this should be fun. Wait! Dick was Batman? What the hell? Circus stuff is cool but doesn't add much. Faux-Wolverine is neat too I guess. Just not much happens. And not a single fish man. 

Okay I'm pretty worn out from just that but I got an Avengers TP to read at some point as well too so I will write on that if I feel up to it. I apologize if none of this is comprehensible to a sober mind as well. :(

Xater

List time!

DC:
GREEN LANTERN #2
DEMON KNIGHTS #2
AMERICAN VAMPIRE SURVIVAL OT FITTEST #5 (OF 5)
RESURRECTION MAN #2

Marvel:
Amazing Spider-​Man #671
Captain America #4
The Punisher #4
Uncanny X-​Force #16

Is New Avenger still Fear Itself tie-in bullshit. Can't tell from the Marvel website. If not I will get that as well.

ReiGun said:
In other Wonder Wonder news, the cover to issue five is up:

tumblr_lsuqpxLr0M1qbujox.jpg

That whatever-it-is better protect its neck, cause Wonder Woman coming right for it. You can see it in her eyes.

Female empowerment figure skewering a phallic monster.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
List Time

BATGIRL #2
BATMAN AND ROBIN #1 2ND PTG
BATMAN AND ROBIN #2
BATWOMAN #2
DEATHSTROKE #2
GREEN LANTERN #2
MISTER TERRIFIC #2
SUPERBOY #2

Deathstroke and Mr. Terrific are on the chopping block if they don't wow me. B&R has some mixed reviews, but I want to check it out.

notworksafe said:
Nightwing 1 (yeah, old): Never read Nightwing before this, so this should be fun. Wait! Dick was Batman? What the hell?

Bruce was "dead" for a while after final crisis. Dick grayson was batman for a while. It was awesome. I kind of wish he had stayed batman in some capacity.

the chris

fredrancour said:
Bruce was "dead" for a while after final crisis. Dick grayson was batman for a while. It was awesome. I kind of wish he had stayed batman in some capacity.
Yea, Dick was a great Batman, he and Damian played off of each other really well.

My list:

Batgirl #2
Spider-Man #671
FF #10
New Avengers #17

Sort of thinking about finishing off Ducktales. Maybe Super Dinosaur. And I may flip through Batwoman and Batman & Robin and see if anything looks like it's worth picking up. Trying to save some money these days.

fredrancour said:

Dick was a more interesting Batman than Bruce. Really wish they could have kept that going in the New 52 but I can see why it didn't make the cut.

Satch

Banned
guys, i wish DC/Warner could get their shit together and give me some good superhero movies that aren't Nolan Batman.

Xater

Satchwar said:
guys, i wish DC/Warner could get their shit together and give me some good superhero movies that aren't Nolan Batman.

That would be awesome right? I was having so much hope for Green Lantern and it ended up being pretty terrible. Let's see how Superman turns out, although I still want to see more good stuff beyond Supes and Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom