• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

wenis said:
Reading Deadpool's main line is also important (he doesn't get enough face time for my liking in Xforce, at least not from the get go).

I stopped reading Deadpool once Fabian Nicieza stopped writing him. His Deadpool is the best.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
-Pyromaniac- said:
Thor was already Thor, and I liked his movie a lot. It was a semi-origin story. Already had his powers but it shows how he came into power (as in the throne).

Yeah, kind of. What I'm getting at is more the way Speed Racer opens. Flashbacks during an action scene in the first 15 minutes. Knock the backstory out of the way as quickly as possible in a minimal amount of time.

the chris

Xater said:
I stopped reading Deadpool once Fabian Nicieza stopped writing him. His Deadpool is the best.
Someone hasn't read Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool, as for Daniel Way's current series: it's garbage. Way seems to think that Deadpool is supposed to be "lolrandom" funny.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
the chris said:
Someone hasn't read Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool, as for Daniel Way's current series: it's garbage. Way seems to think that Deadpool is supposed to be "lolrandom" funny.
It hasn't always been like that. It got bad right after the XMen arc, but got better as soon as Deadpool was admitted to the psychiatric ward.

True enough that Kelly and Nicieza run's are fantastic, but writing off all of Way's work is backwards thinking.

I couldn't articulate it but...yeah. Nicely done.

F*** you and Sniv.

O_O

Cheska

What time does Comixology usually update the DC comics? Still no sign of the new ones...need my Batgirl and Batwoman fix!

notworksafe

Jedeye Sniv said:
I'm not sure if you guys are being serious... (apart from X-Force being good which I hear it is). Getting into Deadpool is a bit like saying "Hey guys! I just got an iPod so I'm getting into music. First purchase - Black Eyed Peas. Aww yeah!" and then everyone else is like "Yeah dawg, you should get Tonight's Gonna be a Good Night, that's a dope jam"

I just... I don't know.

Carry on!
To me, Deadpool is just a fun character. He's able get away with stuff most supertitles aren't because of the ridiculousness inherent in him. I don't think all super books should be like his, but a lighthearted, 4th wall breaking, goofy dude is sometimes just fun to read about.

I'm devastated that Darkwing Duck is pretty much dead now, but I guess Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles will keep me checking the comic shop...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
StoOgE said:
I want a god damned non-origin story super hero movie.

Green Lantern would have been a hell of a lot simpler if he was already in the fucking corps and they did short flashbacks to him getting the ring/training/etc.

It also would have been a lot less boring and they could have focused on the plot.

If they do Flash it's pretty fucking simple:

Wally West is already Flash. Has been for years. His uncle died saving the Central City/Keystone 10 years earlier when he was kid-flash. Mostly ignore the speed force. he is just a dude that runs really fast, and have the rouges already established and running the underground since Barry was Flash, because even most super hero sequels spend half the movie as a bad-guy origin story. I also don't give a shit about that.

Have 2-3 of the Rouges up to no good trying to steal shit/freeze the city/whatever. Flashbacks to Barry dying make the central premise that Wally is trying to fill the shoes of a legend, etc etc. Also, don't use Mirror Master. He is too goofy.

Fucking origin stories. I've seen that god damned movie 20x already. We get it, they get powers. It doesn't take 2 god damned hours for someone to get struck by lightning. and I don't care about their "normal life" before that or dealing with their newfound powers. It was good the first time I saw that movie.
I think some superhero movies should just do a crawl like Star Wars. Really quickly set up the basics of the universe, then just let it go.

So guys, with recommendations of my friends and a few trial issues on the Comixology app I've decided to start buying

Action Comics Superman (2011)
Batman (2011)
Animal Man (2011) I'd also like to read the original somehow. Original first issue was great.

I'm going to try a few issues of

Stormwatch (2011)
Swamp Thing (2011)
Walking Dead
Invincible

A friend just let me borrow Spiderman Blue and Hush graphic novels too.

Any other noob friendly stuff you guys can recommend?

Just picked up Deathstroke and Ghostbusters. I almost caved and got Ultimate Spider-Man, but I've decided I'm not continuing until they lower the price. I flipped through it, and it looked like more of the same. Anyway, can't wait to get home and read the ones I picked up.

When I was checking out, the shop owner asked me how I enjoyed the first issue of GB. I told him I loved it and he said that was the sentiment the rest of his customers were giving. He said that he didn't expect it to do so well, and that he needed to get some more in. This makes me very happy.

Spookie

krypt0nian said:
Uncanny X-Force is the only time I've been able to read Deadpool.

Yep. Rick writes him brilliantly. I picked up the most recent issue of his stand alone and I'd rather eat dogs bollocks than read that again.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
patrickthehedgehog said:
Any other noob friendly stuff you guys can recommend?

Flash, Aquaman and Wonderwoman seem to have good jumping on points right now and look to be pretty good.

Firestorm and Blue Beetle seem to be decent and have good jumping on points.

Justice League has a good jumping on point and will touch most of the DC universe.

Blue Beetle is chill brah, buy it. Batgirl is good and easy to get into. Ghostbusters is great, don't know if it's on Comixology and is a 4 dollar book. Worth it and to all the others that read it.

Storm why?!

I liked Regenesis, whatever. Xmen is so good when they aren't fighting. Got last weeks stuff too. Those Hellfire Kids are still stupid.

Foob

Goddamn asm is just the best

can't believe it but I'm considering trade-waiting on my once favorite USM. Just feels like its on auto pilot

Garryk said:
You're reading the wrong Deadpool comic. Uncanny X-Force is where it's at!

/shamelessplug
How many chapters deep is it?

I would prefer not to start with reading something with 40-some chapters because i'd love to start from the beginning.

Xater said:

Sounds like this poor bastard never read Gail Simone and UDON's Agent X mini, Nicieza and Zircher literally copied and pasted their characterizations and threw in as many awful unfunny Bea Arthur references they could.

Good Deadpool:
AgentX3.jpg

Bad Deadpool:
nicieza.png

You could tell Nicieza really only wanted to write Cable, but was forced to relaunch with Deadpool as the slapstick to Cable's straight man.

Joe Kelly=Gail Simone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fabian Nicieza

Garryk

The Abominable Snowman said:
How many chapters deep is it?

I would prefer not to start with reading something with 40-some chapters because i'd love to start from the beginning.

There are two trades out already collecting issues 1-7. Current arc started in issue #9.

the chris

LoneWolf296 said:
Sounds like this poor bastard never read Gail Simone and UDON's Agent X mini, Nicieza and Zircher literally copied and pasted their characterizations and threw in as many awful unfunny Bea Arthur references they could.

Good Deadpool:
Just wanted to post one of my favorite recent Joe Kelly Deadpool moments
IpZ8o.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
LoneWolf296 said:
Good Deadpool:
AgentX3.jpg

you should have shown the scene with them and black swan on the waterslide. it always makes me laugh

LuCkymoON said:
Marvel now has an Android app, powered by Comixology.
I still don't want to pay $5 for a comic book tho.
Speaking of Marvel & Comixology, do Marvel's digital books ever get the $1.00 discount after a month of circulation?

I really don't like their string of $3.99 books. I want to read ASM Spider-Island & the new USM digitally, but for $2.99...

Blader

Meh, I've read several of the big Deadpool runs, and Way's is by far my favorite though I have getting pretty burned out on it lately.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
Speaking of Marvel & Comixology, do Marvel's digital books ever get the $1.00 discount after a month of circulation?

I really don't like their string of $3.99 books. I want to read ASM Spider-Island & the new USM digitally, but for $2.99...
We will have to wait and see, this app was only released on the 11th.
I don't mind the 2.99 price point, anything beyond that really hurts the pocketbook.

LuCkymoON said:
We will have to wait and see, this app was only released on the 11th.
I don't mind the 2.99 price point, anything beyond that really hurts the pocketbook.
Exactly, I'm cool with $2.99 and even $3.99 for 1 or 2 monthly books (Action Comics). But $3.99 for a bi-weekly books? No. Hell no.

Spike

Lionel Mandrake said:
Just picked up Deathstroke and Ghostbusters. I almost caved and got Ultimate Spider-Man, but I've decided I'm not continuing until they lower the price. I flipped through it, and it looked like more of the same. Anyway, can't wait to get home and read the ones I picked up.

When I was checking out, the shop owner asked me how I enjoyed the first issue of GB. I told him I loved it and he said that was the sentiment the rest of his customers were giving. He said that he didn't expect it to do so well, and that he needed to get some more in. This makes me very happy.

There is a new Ghostbusters comic?!?!

Satch

Banned
Cheska said:
Anyone having a hard time downloading Batgirl? :( Wont download on my iPad.
are you having trouble getting payment to go through, or is it not showing up in the list of comics you own?

Cheska

Satchwar said:
are you having trouble getting payment to go through, or is it not showing up in the list of comics you own?

Not showing up on the list of comics I own. It keeps telling me I already own it but it wont let the download go through. Went on twitter, and it appears multiple people are having problems with this. Weird too, because Batwoman went through just fine.

Spike said:
There is a new Ghostbusters comic?!?!

Yep. Just finished reading it.

Not quite as great as the first one, but that may be because my expectations were so low on the first issue. Still loved it though. I think this one established the game as canon, too. Disappointed that there wasn't anymore of
Peck at the end, as I'm curious to see where his story is going to go.
I love the detailed case file at the end, though.

Satch

Banned
Cheska said:
Not showing up on the list of comics I own. It keeps telling me I already own it but it wont let the download go through. Went on twitter, and it appears multiple people are having problems with this. Weird too, because Batwoman went through just fine.
i just bought it on my laptop and it worked easily. hmm...

have you checked to see if you can view it on your computer? if so, it might be something simply on the iPad side of things (but that's still iffy because Batwoman worked for you).

shuri

Banned
I'm really enjoying DAMAGED right now.. Issue 2 was epic. I picked up Black Panther and it was god damn terrible, he looks like a giant furry mascott now.. I'm cancelling it from my pull list :/

Slayven said:
ASM 671 has me literally shaking. Goddamn Spiderisland>>>>>>Fear ITself>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Flashpoint
It has been surprisingly awesome. In amway it's like Sinestro Corp where this event was self contained, not too hyped, and knocked it out of the park. But seeing MJ powered up and kicking ass made me miss the marriage more. :(

Slayven

gketter said:
It has been surprisingly awesome. In amway it's like Sinestro Corp where this event was self contained, not too hyped, and knocked it out of the park. But seeing MJ powered up and kicking ass made me miss the marriage more. :(
I bet you know who will be the new Scarlet Spider they advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom