• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Hi guys
I remember this thread about Thor Godbomb which sold me on the comic, and was wondering were whether these were the correct TPs of that arc 1, 2?
I ask (this silly question) because I'm not a regular comic reader, certainly not new/current stuff, so just want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

Yep, those are the two books. Enjoy. That is an incredible story.

--

Guys, can we talk about how wonderful this is?

1.BATMAN #32 $3.99
2.AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #3 $3.99
3.ORIGINAL SIN #3 $3.99
4.HARLEY QUINN #7 $2.99
5.SUPERMAN #32 $3.99

I am very happy to see that Harley Quinn continues to get critical and commercial success. I didn't expect it to stay that high up the list. It fully deserves it and #7 was great.

Take a look at this 1-25 variant by Dan Panosian for the next issue. I really hope one of the stores here in orlando gets on :/ not holding my breath though.

HARLEY-Cv8-1-25-var-b20e8.jpg

And they need to stop getting Giffen doing layouts, he's really not good. He made 52 blander than it should have been too.
Not good is overdoing it. He's a traditionalist so his panels are quite safe and very normal. 52 is still the best weekly in terms of plotting, art continuity and overall as well in no small part thanks to Giffen. He is also to thank for being the buffer between Didio's outlandish demands from Johns, Rucka, Waid and Morrison.

Finally someone who sees eye-to-eye with me on All Star B&R!
I felt the exact same way about it. I didn't think it was the greatest Batman story of all time either, but I definitely thought it was a good, fun read and it was just Miller taking things to their total extremes.
In that Miller/Eisner book I read a few months back, Miller talks about how people feel that Batman is so sacred and if you change one tiny thing about him, people go nuts, and Miller was intentionally was stepping outside the box with him. Just saying this to back up the thought that Miller really isn't losing it, he just made a conscious decision to take Batman to the total extremities (and probably beyond) of his character and personality.

But yeah, thanks for making me feel less crazy by acknowledging that you're enjoying it too. :p

One of my favorite movies for some reason is Law Abiding Citizen. I love a good revenge story. Who wouldn't want to do what that guy did after the murder/rape of his wife and kid. Anyways, that is what Batman is, a revenge and justice story. Miller made this Batman the Law Abiding Citizen of Graphic Novels.

Messi

We've got Batgirl and Catwoman to look forward to, forget about the Lanterns.

You know this actually made me smile. Its nice to be really excited for both of these books again. I felt Batgirl was good but beginning to coast and the fresh creative should do really well. We all know how I feel about Catwomans change. Exciting times ahead for dc fans.

Unless you were being sarcastic and I have missed the hints.

Owzers

You know this actually made me smile. Its nice to be really excited for both of these books again. I felt Batgirl was good but beginning to coast and the fresh creative should do really well. We all know how I feel about Catwomans change. Exciting times ahead for dc fans.

Unless you were being sarcastic and I have missed the hints.

mostly not sarcastic, i'm looking forward to giving both books a try, Grayson too since dcbs came through for me as didn't pre-order it. I dislike a lot of what is going on with DC right now, but maybe it was an editorial problem keeping things dull.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not good is overdoing it. He's a traditionalist so his panels are quite safe and very normal. 52 is still the best weekly in terms of plotting, art continuity and overall as well in no small part thanks to Giffen. He is also to thank for being the buffer between Didio's outlandish demands from Johns, Rucka, Waid and Morrison.

But it flattens everything out, and makes a poor story even less compelling. Batman Eternal is doing the weekly thing a lot more successfully by letting artists do what they do. The approach on Futures End is making the comics equivalent of porridge. Grey, stodgy decompressed porridge.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
One of the best parts about Unknown Soldier is that each arc so far has been a totally different kind of story. It's not just retreading the same basic plots with different characters and settings. All the arcs still mesh together into one coherent story, but the fact that each arc has been a different type of story keeps the book so fresh and engaging. It's such a treat to read.
I've been breezing through it, too. I can't remember the last time I was able to read so many issues of a comic a day without losing a bit of interest.

This last murder-mystery arc has been so good. And that reveal of who it was was NUTS. All of a sudden everything made sense.
Unknown Soldier being tired all the time, Paul mentioning that he'd been sleepwalking, his violent self seemingly not intruding on him.
Just brilliant.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
One of my favorite movies for some reason is Law Abiding Citizen. I love a good revenge story. Who wouldn't want to do what that guy did after the murder/rape of his wife and kid. Anyways, that is what Batman is, a revenge and justice story. Miller made this Batman the Law Abiding Citizen of Graphic Novels.

Huh, thet's not how I read it at all. To me, ASBR is about a young, arrogant, reckless leather/violence fetishist who absolutely loves what he does. He's richer than god, 25 years old and living like a maniac. And then he gets a kid foisted on him. This Bruce is barely an adult himself, and having trained himself brutally using his trauma as fuel he thinks that's the best way to treat this new kid. Which it isn't, because Dick is a different kind of kid than he was. Had the series continued, I was expecting Robin to soften his edges and make him a bit less of an abrasive jerk.

Kipp

Huh, thet's not how I read it at all. To me, ASBR is about a young, arrogant, reckless leather/violence fetishist who absolutely loves what he does. He's richer than god, 25 years old and living like a maniac. And then he gets a kid foisted on him. This Bruce is barely an adult himself, and having trained himself brutally using his trauma as fuel he thinks that's the best way to treat this new kid. Which it isn't, because Dick is a different kind of kid than he was. Had the series continued, I was expecting Robin to soften his edges and make him a bit less of an abrasive jerk.

...That is a pretty brilliant analysis. I hadn't thought of it that way.

So, along the lines of Law Abiding Citizen. I don't disagree with what you said. But the trauma of the character in LAC fueled the same type of sadistic behavior.

You guys got any suggestions for good epic battle/against all odds/self sacrifice stories or trades that would be worth buying? Im always in the mood for them but its kind of a hard thing to track down storywise. My collection at the moment is mainly Marvel and pre DCnU stuff but I'm always open to other books.

You guys got any suggestions for good epic battle/against all odds/self sacrifice stories or trades that would be worth buying? Im always in the mood for them but its kind of a hard thing to track down storywise. My collection at the moment is mainly Marvel and pre DCnU stuff but I'm always open to other books.

The Thanos Imperative

You don't really need to know any Cosmic Marvel to enjoy it. Basically there was a war that caused a giant rift in space that leads to another dimension called the Cancerverse and it's spilling out. It's up to the Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, and other Cosmic characters to stop it.

The Thanos Imperative

You don't really need to know any Cosmic Marvel to enjoy it. Basically there was a war that caused a giant rift in space that leads to another dimension called the Cancerverse and it's spilling out. It's up to the Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, and other Cosmic characters to stop it.

Thanks I'll take a look. Marvel's cosmic stuff is one area that I have only just recently started to get into so it would be nice to go back. Only other older stuff I've read was the Infinity Gauntlet.

One of the best parts about Unknown Soldier is that each arc so far has been a totally different kind of story. It's not just retreading the same basic plots with different characters and settings. All the arcs still mesh together into one coherent story, but the fact that each arc has been a different type of story keeps the book so fresh and engaging. It's such a treat to read.
I've been breezing through it, too. I can't remember the last time I was able to read so many issues of a comic a day without losing a bit of interest.

This last murder-mystery arc has been so good. And that reveal of who it was was NUTS. All of a sudden everything made sense.
Unknown Soldier being tired all the time, Paul mentioning that he'd been sleepwalking, his violent self seemingly not intruding on him.
Just brilliant.
Yea the who dun it was my favorite arc of the series . So damn good

tim1138

Just brilliant.

I love reading your impressions as you go through this. All hyperbole aside, Unknown Soldier is one of the best comics I've ever read. It's damn near Kirby tier, which for me is saying something.

I'm interested in Wolverine & The X-Men. Sometimes I read posts saying that there are a few issues that are so-so but I'm not sure which ones. I think it's something that ties in with a multi-book saga that was going on at the time? I'm wondering if that part is skippable or if it's fun enough and I should just read the whole thing.

Read the whole thing. The most important aspect of that book is the development of the students the series spotlights. Read the first arc and you will want to read the rest because you'll be invested in these awesome characters.

kmfdmpig

If you're OK with a WWII war book then Battlefields might be a good choice. It's by Garth Ennis and is some of his more restrained work. I quite like it, but I like most of what Ennis does.

tim1138

If I was to pick up Unknown Soldier, what is the correct reading order? Amazon's list looks pretty spotty.

Haunted House collects issues #1-6
Easy Kill collects issues #7-14
Dry Season collects issues #15-20
Beautiful World collects issues #21-25

Kipp

Woah, after only reading the first two books of fables I didnt know the art improved so much.

I believe the first pages, even though they're story pages, are still drawn by the cover artists. I was wondering about that too, but then realized the Astro City first page was still Alex Ross and the first page of Fables was by the person who usually does the covers.
I was looking into it because at first I thought it was a clever way of Vertigo getting out of paying one extra person. :p

I love reading your impressions as you go through this. All hyperbole aside, Unknown Soldier is one of the best comics I've ever read. It's damn near Kirby tier, which for me is saying something.

Glad you're enjoying them!
It really is something special. Thanks again for the excellent recommendation.
It's really shocking to me that this book doesn't have a bigger following. Does anyone remember if it was talked about much when it was released? Is this just a case of me being 5 years late to the party and simply not being around when it was originally being talked about a ton?

If I was to pick up Unknown Soldier, what is the correct reading order? Amazon's list looks pretty spotty.

Oh man. You should definitely pick it up.
Also worth noting that the first trade is $5 on IST.

Guys, can we talk about how wonderful this is?

1.BATMAN #32 $3.99
2.AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #3 $3.99
3.ORIGINAL SIN #3 $3.99
4.HARLEY QUINN #7 $2.99
5.SUPERMAN #32 $3.99

I am very happy to see that Harley Quinn continues to get critical and commercial success. I didn't expect it to stay that high up the list. It fully deserves it and #7 was great.

After a dive it seems that DC sales are stabilizing and even trending upwards. Only 2.5% market share difference between Marvel and DC last month. which was 3% in May.

Kipp

At least we dont have to see him fapping :D

;-)

That Hellboy face is just the cropped (or rather, censored) image. I can PM you the full image if you'd like. ;)

I WAS CLEARLY JUST READING A BOOK OKAY. JUST A BIG RED BOOK IN MY LAP. :p

It's so damn true. Every crossover is the end of the lanterns, we finish that and it begins again. Can we just have some space cop time fucking hell.

To be fair since the new teams took over the only crossover has been Light's Out last October. Since then it has been the Durlan War.

ReiGun

I'm willing to bet Batgirl will be average as hell once it's out after all the hype just like Justice League United is
iS8icxB5vZp7o.png

Oh so it really will be DC's "Ms. Marvel" then?

10514528_244435445747108_9207079693138605510_n.jpg

It's so damn true. Every crossover is the end of the lanterns, we finish that and it begins again. Can we just have some space cop time fucking hell.
That time is over. From now on, the Lanterns won't get out of bed for anything less than the potential collapse of the universe...which you can read about across seven books in an epic 8 issue crossover! Buy 'em all!

To be fair since the new teams took over the only crossover has been Light's Out last October. Since then it has been the Durlan War.

The Durlan War IMHO has been a kind of big crossover event. Maybe not as big as Light's Out but still not GL's just doing regular GL stuff. It's been major issues basically non-stop.

The Durlan War IMHO has been a kind of big crossover event. Maybe not as big as Light's Out but still not GL's just doing regular GL stuff. It's been major issues basically non-stop.

I don't really see this. Red Lanterns has been doing the stuff with Atrocitus and Guy Gardner, and the new Red Lanterns. New Guardians has been Kyle, Carol and the Guardians going on a mission of exploration. Only Green Lantern and Corps has dealt with the Durlans and each has done so in its own way and those two books have traditionally been different sides of the same coin.

I don't really see this. Red Lanterns has been doing the stuff with Atrocitus and Guy Gardner, and the new Red Lanterns. New Guardians has been Kyle, Carol and the Guardians going on a mission of exploration. Only Green Lantern and Corps has dealt with the Durlans and each has done so in its own way and those two books have traditionally been different sides of the same coin.

My point is that I'd rather not have GL and GLC go from one End of the Universe event after another. Let me have some regular GLs just doing regular GL things.

It would seem to me that Hal and Jon have done nothing but try to stop one Universal catastrophe after the other for 3 years now. I'd like a little change there. Even if we got a break for 2 or 3 issues between 6 issue + Universal End arcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom