• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Fundamentally, that's what Stephenson was saying. Quality books bring in new readers. Now the publishers and retailers need to keep putting out high quality books and marketing them (instead of publishing another Spider-Man #1).

I was a big 90s comic book fan. I was in my teens and didn't have the most discerning taste, but I had 3-4 subscriptions going at any one time. I stopped reading comics in 1996, and didn't pick it back up until the over a decade later.

The books that got me back into comics? Y: The Last Man. Fables. Ex Machina. I have the full runs of each of those, and am always looking for the next quality title along those lines. (I don't care that comicsGAF doesn't like Fables...it's awesome!)

Right now, that title is Saga (yes, I'm a Brian K. Vaughan fanboy). Locke and Key was insanely good, and I purchased the entire run. There are several other Image titles comic out each month that probably won't hit the level of those two, but they're defnitely proving to be worth the money. Black Science, Rat Queens, Lazarus, Sex Criminals, and Deadly Class, to name a few. I have high hopes for Chew and The Manhattan Projects.

I love Marvel comics like Daredevil and Hawkeye, but neither they nor DC are putting out anything as creative or diverse as the current Image line. I realize that's purely a taste issue, but what they offer matches up more closely to my interests.

similarrrrrrrrrrr storieeeeeeeeeees. I started reading comics as a kid and hated them, wordy random early 90s Marvel books, buying things based off the cover, not understanding arcs or runs. Didn't buy another comic until i heard Whedon was writing an X-Men comic, it got great reviews and i decided to give comics a chance again now that i was older. I don't know if i would have gotten into comics had it not been for that special occasion, because i had no interest to read comics otherwise, and i imagine that's the same for my friends. The only way i got my brother to read a comic was because of Buffy Season 8 and he'd read Walking Dead if i had the trades since he likes the show, but even with that he still has little to no interest in comics.

The problem that i see is that people don't care about the medium of comics themselves, all cape books are just expensive, senseless, childish noise unless you find the right one, and that's why i groan when there are 10 batman books or 100 wolverine books, that extra choice, the extra step of research needed to figure out which is the batman book to read, i don't think people want to bother, it's easier to just ignore comics and continue waiting for the next movie.

Quitely...Parlov...Murphy...

izFq252q7OrbJ.gif
Plus Jae Lee and a mystery brah he calls the biggest artist in comics eight now. I hope that means Greg Land.

This talk about CincyComicon got me curious what ComicCon is around me. I've never been to one,, So now I am planning on buying tickets to the C2E2, Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo...

..It's almost overwhelming, what should I expect? Is it expensive or hard to get commissions or autographs??
Suggestions of things I should try to do? panel screening or whatever? idk where to start lol. I'll probably only go for one day (Saturday).

Any tips/help/suggestions/discussions would be awesome,, thanks

C2E2 is going to be my first comic convention too. Also making it part of my bachelor party festivities. Don't really know what it's going to be like, but I'm sure it'll be a great time.

Messi

If people start getting into comics because of Saga or some other singular title, then in theory it should be easier to get them to try something else. As long as good comics keep coming out, there should be a "next" book to start reading if Saga ends, but more likely while Saga is still going. How many new GAF members have fallen prey to ever expanding buy lists?

Bought Saga and Batman last June to get back into comics and now pull 50-60 a month

Vyer

You're conveniently jumping over the part where he dismisses licensed comics as not "real" comics. That's utter grotesque nonsense. Ryan North's work on Adventure Time isn't "real" comics? What planet are we on right now???

Comics as an industry needs more of the diversity it already has, without a doubt. But it doesn't need to come at the expense of the gateways it already provides to young readers who come in through licensed comics. And the idea that superhero comics are incapable of providing stories of a caliber of the best creator owned work is just objectively wrong. He doesn't go so far as to say those aren't "real" comics, but he comes pretty close.

I was dismissive because that kind of genre-based stratifying of what's already the smallest, least revenue generating creative medium on Earth deserves about four syllables of my attention and if any energy is expended on it it should be to type up, print out, and then set fire to it.

I pretty much agree with all of this, but particularly the bold.

Goddam Rick Remender has the definition of schway on Lockdown. I can't wait to buy the Deluxe Hardcovers for Black Science, Deadly Class and Low. Rus Wooton is letting like a masochist. Though can we add Justin Jordan to the Mt. Rushmore of bland comics writers?

Later than usual, but here it is:
DC COMICS
Action Comics #29
Batman Superman Annual #1
Earth 2 #21
Forever Evil #6 (I wish a friend hadn't spoiled this issue to me a while ago)
Green Arrow #29
Swamp Thing #29 (Caught up with Soule's run during the weekend. I had dropped it during Rotworld but I decided to give it a chance since I'm reading every other book by the author)
Trillium #7

DARK HORSE COMICS
Veil #1

IMAGE COMICS
Velvet #4

MARVEL COMICS
Captain America #18
Loki Agent Of Asgard #2
Magneto #1
Moon Knight #1
New Warriors #2 (Really mediocre first issue. I hope it gets better because I love Scarlet Spider)
Nova #14
Punisher #3
She-Hulk #2
Uncanny X-Men #18
Wolverine And The X-Men #1

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT
Archer And Armstrong #18
Quantum And Woody The Goat #0 (Can't wait for this one)

similarrrrrrrrrrr storieeeeeeeeeees. I started reading comics as a kid and hated them, wordy random early 90s Marvel books, buying things based off the cover, not understanding arcs or runs. Didn't buy another comic until i heard Whedon was writing an X-Men comic, it got great reviews and i decided to give comics a chance again now that i was older. I don't know if i would have gotten into comics had it not been for that special occasion, because i had no interest to read comics otherwise, and i imagine that's the same for my friends. The only way i got my brother to read a comic was because of Buffy Season 8 and he'd read Walking Dead if i had the trades since he likes the show, but even with that he still has little to no interest in comics.

The problem that i see is that people don't care about the medium of comics themselves, all cape books are just expensive, senseless, childish noise unless you find the right one, and that's why i groan when there are 10 batman books or 100 wolverine books, that extra choice, the extra step of research needed to figure out which is the batman book to read, i don't think people want to bother, it's easier to just ignore comics and continue waiting for the next movie.

/brofist

tim1138

I just saw a spoiler for Forever Evil #6.
I have no idea what to think.

I can't wait to see people's reaction to this.

Owzers

My lips are sealed.

Now that you made it sound interesting, if it's anything than the hood coming off and Superboy Prime shouting " why did you reboot a universe just to make everyone my age!" i'm going to frown. Or maybe just pretend that's what happened.

short IST order since the image special ended, Uncanny X-Force Omnibus and Zero tp vol 1. I've read all of Uncanny, but i can't resist owning that omnibus. It's possible that this and vol 2 of Hickman's FF/Fantastic Four saga will be the last omnibi own...starting to hate that overly cumbersome format and saggy pages.

tim1138

Now that you made it sound interesting, if it's anything than the hood coming off and Superboy Prime shouting " why did you reboot a universe just to make everyone my age!" i'm going to frown. Or maybe just pretend that's what happened.

Hahaha.

I'll PM it if you want, but I'm not posting it in the thread

I just saw a spoiler for Forever Evil #6.
I have no idea what to think.

I can't wait to see people's reaction to this.
Geoff Johns doing exactly what people expected him to, having "called it" months ago, but being Johns he adds that one unexpected twist that's so completely out of left field and had little-to-no foreshadowing that you couldn't possibly have "called it" with 100% accuracy, and are left either sufficiently awed or just scratching your head at this new development.

Also, certain people will be pissed. They know who they are, and they know what they will be pissed about. Others are just going to roll their eyes.

Uncanny X Force omnibus on gheir shotty paper. I can't wait for them to come out with a new typeof collection and how Axel Alonso will spinnit.,

Messi

slight teasing! But have you read it before? I already placed my order without it....but is it good if you like Harley, or good if you're looking for one of the best comics on the market?

I haven't read it yet. I am getting my copy tomorrow hopefully. But I really enjoyed the other two trades (Preludes and Knock knock jokes, Night and Day) they are good classic harley fun in the same vein as The Animated Series. Trust me I can tell bad Harley stories from good ones, I read Suicide Squad. If you are looking for a lighthearted book I am pretty sure you will like it.

Uncanny X Force omnibus on gheir shotty paper. I can't wait for them to come out with a new typeof collection and how Axel Alonso will spinnit.,

Is it confirmed that the Uncanny XF omni is the same paper they used for the Infinity OHC? If that's the case I'll just keep the regular hardcover volumes I already own.

Is it confirmed that the Uncanny XF omni is the same paper they used for the Infinity OHC? If that's the case I'll just keep the regular hardcover volumes I already own.
I bet so, Marvel has made a big effort to use low quality paper over the past two years. I would definitely keep your hardcovers or hope for them to release two or three oversized ones in the future to commemorate the fourth anniversary or something.

Thanks about Baby Five. Still debating it.

I bet so, Marvel has made a big effort to use low quality paper over the past two years. I would definitely keep your hardcovers or hope for them to release two or three oversized ones in the future to commemorate the fourth anniversary or something.

Yeah, I'll probably keep the books I have. It's the cheapest option, too. My March is brutal enough with games, figures and everything else.

Thanks about Baby Five. Still debating it.

Unfortunately, she sold out in the meantime. I can't believe how fast the One Piece stuff sells out.

Yeah, I'll probably keep the books I have. It's the cheapest option, too. My March is brutal enough with games, figures and everything else.

Unfortunately, she sold out in the meantime. I can't believe how fast the One Piece stuff sells out.
Yeah a Megahouse figure goes on sale tonight, gonna be rough.

I still can't find these Forever Evil spoilers. But I think I know the first part if i am remembering Spike's post correctly.

I didn't roll my eyes , so much as wonder what happens to Geoff johns and how he has been reduced to making ridiculous ass pulls

Where is the guy who wrote action comics and flash???

DCBS rolled in today, first comic read was Three #5.

Just want to say that I hope more people will give this a try with the TPB. This is probably the best thing Gillen wrote last year. The ending was very satisfying. I can't wait to see what Ryan Kelly is going to do next.

DCBS rolled in today, first comic read was Three #5.

Just want to say that I hope more people will give this a try with the TPB. This is probably the best thing Gillen wrote last year. The ending was very satisfying. I can't wait to see what Ryan Kelly is going to do next.
Three was just an incredible comic. I had no idea it would be so short. Amazing what you can accomplish when you stay off tumblr.

arkon

You're conveniently jumping over the part where he dismisses licensed comics as not "real" comics. That's utter grotesque nonsense. Ryan North's work on Adventure Time isn't "real" comics? What planet are we on right now???

Comics as an industry needs more of the diversity it already has, without a doubt. But it doesn't need to come at the expense of the gateways it already provides to young readers who come in through licensed comics. And the idea that superhero comics are incapable of providing stories of a caliber of the best creator owned work is just objectively wrong. He doesn't go so far as to say those aren't "real" comics, but he comes pretty close.

I was dismissive because that kind of genre-based stratifying of what's already the smallest, least revenue generating creative medium on Earth deserves about four syllables of my attention and if any energy is expended on it it should be to type up, print out, and then set fire to it.

Well said. I liked Mike Richardson's response: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03...respond-to-eric-stephensons-comicspro-speech/.

The feels I've experienced reading certain Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye issues are as real as anything that the best of Image, DC, Marvel etc. have to offer.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hey Rafa, I ordered the first FBP trade today. How much awesome am I in store for?

Dude, how have you avoided all of my posts pimping this book since day one! FBP is so damn good. Get ready for some neon pink science blasting you in the dome-piece. Oh, and the writing is top-notch.

Owzers

So far Dead Boy Detectives and Drumhellar were pleasantly surprisingly good. I'm definitely sold on Detectives since vol 1 is only 4.99 for 6 issues, Drumhellar 5 issues 7.49 i'm partly sold. Drumhellar was very weird and fun. Manifest Destiny #1 came in a distant third, the last half was okay but i'm not sure i'll get the trade.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So far Dead Boy Detectives and Drumhellar were pleasantly surprisingly good. I'm definitely sold on Detectives since vol 1 is only 4.99 for 6 issues, Drumhellar 5 issues 7.49 i'm partly sold. Drumhellar was very weird and fun. Manifest Destiny #1 came in a distant third, the last half was okay but i'm not sure i'll get the trade.

Right? Damn good book so far. Dead Boy Detectives, that is.

Owzers

Right? Damn good book so far. Dead Boy Detectives, that is.

Have you checked out Drumhellar at all? I feel like it's easily skippable because the name is weird and it's from a writer i don't know, but it was bizarre and fun, it almost, ALMOST , reminded me of Nextwave without the action. That might be a horrible comparison, but it was so comfortable with being crazy and the dialog was sharp.

Cheska

Hey Rafa, I ordered the first FBP trade today. How much awesome am I in store for?

Rafa has not led us wrong! FBP is super awesome, it feels like I'm on drugs and dancing around with glowsticks.

I did finally listen to you guys and ordered the Zero TPB and Fear Agent Vol 1 Library Edition :D

Can I just state how disappointed I am that Forever Evil is almost over and yet:

-We never got an Owlman vs. Owlman fight
-Won't get an explanation on how "The first lantern" is tied to Power Ring
-Never got a Hal vs. Earth 3 hal confrontation (Where the fuck is hal anyway? It feels like he's still dead)
-No Darksied :(

That is some really obvious shit that they could have done that would have been interesting instead of rehash garbage with the rogues and another riot at arkham.

zeeaykay

Loving all the discussion about the comic industry! I do disagree in some areas, I think that re-number or doing "seasons" of books does make sense. I know that I was able to jump get into Marvel because of Marvel NOW, and I like how they're adding "#1" on the top left on certain arcs to denote a fresh storyline.

I also think most writers will put out their best work with creatively owned property, just because there are less restrictions. I do think seeing your favorite character get one of your favorite writer/artist is super exciting because great things can be done, the sandbox is just more defined. I will admit, even little things like seeing *#(@$ in an otherwise adult book does kind of take me out of the book since I have to decide which word the character used.

Just got my Captain America: Winter Soldier HC... am I in for something special?

Just started reading my copy of The Black Beetle, which I bought back in April. I'm the biggest idiot putting it off so long. The art is just unbelievably good. I've lost track of what's going on a few times already because I've been staring at the art, my mind trying to comprehend how awesome it is. That Francavilla guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom