• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

The best New 52 series was Batwoman. Sadly, it was cancelled after #24
and don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Oh really? I haven't heard much about Batwoman. I'll have to check that out.

Edit: Holy cow, I am checking out the volumes on Amazon right now and the covers are incredible! :eek:

What are your guys' favorite New 52 series? I'm looking for some recommendations. So far I have Batman, Nightwing, Justice League, The Flash, and Red Hood and the Outlaws (well, the first volumes of them).

And, Diggle's costume...umm...wow. Not sure what to think about that, lol. It just looks like a guy wearing regular clothes with a bizarre helmet.

Grayson
Gotham Academy
Starfire
If you like Johns, check out the brief run he did on Superman

I'm also enjoying Black Canary (Annie Wu's art!!), Batgirl (relaunch), and Harley Quinn too. I think they're all worth a look.

Batwoman is good too. I think Elegy is the highlight of it all but JHW3 is an incredible artist and it's worth reading for his art alone.

Squire

Banned
Grayson
Gotham Academy
Starfire

I'm also enjoying Black Canary (Annie Wu's art!!), Batgirl (relaunch), and Harley Quinn too. I think they're all worth a look.

Batwoman is good too. I think Elegy is the highlight of it all but JHW3 is an incredible artist and it's worth reading for his art alone.

Remember to buy Archie #4 even if you don't give a shot about Archie because Annie Wules the Rorld. ✨

VanWinkle

Grayson
Gotham Academy
Starfire

Is it this?

Squire

Banned
So will any All New, All Different book make it beyond the 24th issue before being renumbered/cancelled.

I have this feeling Waid and Ewing are about to have the shortest runs on Avengers/NA in years/ever.

It's already weird those aren't by the same author and probably not really tied to each other, either.

VanWinkle

Yeah I gotta get that. Still need to read the other issues.

Yep that's it! I haven't read any other New 52 Superman but I really liked it. The last issue he wrote (39) was excellent.

Nice! $14 for a ~250 page hardcover run is an amazing deal so I think I'm going to get that first. Thanks!

Balder the Brave #3 - #4, Thor #363 - #368: Poor Balder, stretched in so many directions. Frog Thor was hilarious! And the beard is a good look. I am a bit apprehensive about wrapping this omnibus up. Any art in superhero comics I read going forward, I am afraid I will be judging against the quality of this. So much attention to detail in each panel and layout. Such intricate plotting.

I assume I should finish out the Nightwing volumes before getting into Grayson?

Doesn't really matter honestly. Grayson builds out of the Forever Evil event. Doesn't really touch on Nightwing.

Other recommendations:

Omega Men
Martian Manhunter
Gotham Academy
Catwoman (start after Nocenti leaves, you'll want to read Batman Eternal first).
Speaking of which, Batman Eternal

Oooh, and Action Comics starting with #41.

EDIT 2: Batman & Robin, Robin Son of Batman, and We Are Robin are all good. The second follows directly from the first, though, which spins out of (and ties back into) Grant Morrison's Batman stuff, so you may want to look up a reading order.

VanWinkle

Doesn't really matter honestly. Grayson builds out of the Forever Evil event. Doesn't really touch on Nightwing.

Other recommendations:

Omega Men
Martian Manhunter
Gotham Academy
Catwoman (start after Nocenti leaves, you'll want to read Batman Eternal first).
Speaking of which, Batman Eternal

Oooh, and Action Comics starting with #41.

EDIT 2: Batman & Robin, Robin Son of Batman, and We Are Robin are all good. The second follows directly from the first, though, which spins out of (and ties back into) Grant Morrison's Batman stuff, so you may want to look up a reading order.

Interesting about the Grayson thing. Does it just take place at a different point in time, or is it like an alternate universe or something?

I have had Batman Eternal on my Amazon wish list on awhile. It's on my list but I have a few other cheaper things I'm wanting to get first. Gotham Academy I added to my wish list based on a previous recommendation. I'm a little reluctant to get into the Robin stuff yet because there's so much stuff and I'm a little overwhelmed.

I searched "martian manhunter new 52" and "omega man new 52" on Amazon and didn't see anything about them? Are they new and not on trade yet?

I searched "martian manhunter new 52" and "omega man new 52" on Amazon and didn't see anything about them? Are they new and not on trade yet?

Too new. They're only three or four issues in each. DC takes an eternity to release trades/hardcovers so who knows when they'll be collected.

Interesting about the Grayson thing. Does it just take place at a different point in time, or is it like an alternate universe or something?

I have had Batman Eternal on my Amazon wish list on awhile. It's on my list but I have a few other cheaper things I'm wanting to get first. Gotham Academy I added to my wish list based on a previous recommendation. I'm a little reluctant to get into the Robin stuff yet because there's so much stuff and I'm a little overwhelmed.

Oh, yeah, both are too new for trades. Didn't realize you were sticking with those exclusively :p

As for Grayson... well, if you don't know anything about it, I won't spoil it, but let's just say that Forever Evil provides a really good example of a soft reboot for the character.

Ponn

Banned
It's been awhile since I was doing DCBS and I forgot when do they usually update for the next month? Does IST update at the same time too? I've been meaning to read Sandman for a long time and I notice they have a sale on the Absolute Sandman's and would like to jump on the first 2 books while they are on sale.

VanWinkle

Oh, yeah, both are too new for trades. Didn't realize you were sticking with those exclusively :p

As for Grayson... well, if you don't know anything about it, I won't spoil it, but let's just say that Forever Evil provides a really good example of a soft reboot for the character.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mention that in my post.

I will add Forever Evil to my wish list since it's only $12, and pick that up when I get a chance, and then pick up Grayson. Thanks for the recs.

It's been awhile since I was doing DCBS and I forgot when do they usually update for the next month? Does IST update at the same time too? I've been meaning to read Sandman for a long time and I notice they have a sale on the Absolute Sandman's and would like to jump on the first 2 books while they are on sale.

IST updates every Tuesday 3 PM Eastern time. And remember you can place two separate orders. You will get an additional 2% off on the second order.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What are your guys' favorite New 52 series? I'm looking for some recommendations. So far I have Batman, Nightwing, Justice League, The Flash, and Red Hood and the Outlaws (well, the first volumes of them).

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello (Vol 1-6)
Aquaman by Geoff Johns (Vol 1-4)
Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire (Vol 4-6)
Batwoman by J H Williams III (Vol 1-4)
Batman and Robin by Tomasi (Vol 1-6, 7 isn't out yet)
Justice League Dark
Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
Harley Quinn by Amanda Conner has been silly fun

Batman Eternal is neat. It leads nicely into Genevieve Valentine's Catwoman run (all the Catwoman issues before that are pretty terrible).

As for some great ongoings still in their early phases...

Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Black Canary
Grayson (Nightwing isn't necessary pre-reading, though you may wanna check out Forever Evil)
Gotham Academy
Gotham by Midnight
Constantine: The Hellblazer
We Are Robin
Omega Men
Batgirl (Gail Simone's run was solid enough, but the revamp has a pretty cool energy of its own)

Went through Vol 2-3 of Ms. Marvel and the other issues that are currently available. Absolutely love it! Following this now like I follow other manga.

I really like Takeshi Miyazawa's art in Vol. 3. Any recommendations for other good comics with his art? I just got Marvel Unlimited.

Squire

Banned
I never would have guessed that I was going to like a Mockingbird comic enough that I would actually want an ongoing for it... but I did and I do.

Yeah, I legitimately think it could be as good as Hawkeye. I hope this one-shot is selling really well. It's definitely being received well by everyone picking it up, near as I can tell.

VanWinkle

I gave up The Flash volume 1 new 52 about two months back. It was the second graphic novel I tried to read in my recent interest in them, and it was really hard to follow, so I got frustrated with it.

Now that I have read many more, I have decided to go back to it, and I'm having a much easier time. I also have a whole new appreciation for the INCREDIBLE artwork. I'm really blown away.

Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello (Vol 1-6)
Aquaman by Geoff Johns (Vol 1-4)
Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire (Vol 4-6)
Batwoman by J H Williams III (Vol 1-4)
Batman and Robin by Tomasi (Vol 1-6, 7 isn't out yet)
Justice League Dark
Animal Man by Jeff Lemire
Harley Quinn by Amanda Conner has been silly fun

Batman Eternal is neat. It leads nicely into Genevieve Valentine's Catwoman run (all the Catwoman issues before that are pretty terrible).

As for some great ongoings still in their early phases...

Martian Manhunter
Midnighter
Black Canary
Grayson (Nightwing isn't necessary pre-reading, though you may wanna check out Forever Evil)
Gotham Academy
Gotham by Midnight
Constantine: The Hellblazer
We Are Robin
Omega Men
Batgirl (Gail Simone's run was solid enough, but the revamp has a pretty cool energy of its own)

Thanks! Great post. I'll keep these in mind. Many I already have in my wish list.

Squire

Banned
AND OH MY GOD DAT ART SO GOOD

JOELLE JONES

Sjwgj7j.gif

Kin5290

Yeah, Mockingbird was amazing, and it fit that Fraction/Aja Hawkeye shaped hole in my heart like I never expected. Do the smart thing and make this an ongoing with that creative team, Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom