• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't like it. It was pretty universally well-received around here, and the art was stunning in places.
It just...it felt eh. I really hated the whole
mutant cure
. Fuck that being a thing again. Seriously. Christ. And the
young Doom was so weird and forced.
I'll give it another issue and see. I liked the art, too. Honestly I don't care for Tony much as a character and I figured Bendis writing a singular character again would be good, but honestly it feels like it's introducing the universal reset and I don't like it. The
Madame Masque
bits were cool, though.
The Bendis tropes are pretty strong in the books so there are going to be people who don't like it.

I like Bendis. I literally have no problem with him. I've liked everything I've read by him so far, I just didn't care for this.

Sandfox

mutant cure
young Doom was so weird and forced. I'll give it another issue and see. I liked the art, too. Honestly I don't care for Tony much as a character and I figured Bendis writing a singular character again would be good, but honestly it feels like it's introducing the universal reset and I don't like it. The
Madame Masque
bits were cool, though.

I like Bendis. I literally have no problem with him. I've liked everything I've read by him so far, I just didn't care for this.
I would say the your biggest problem with the book is a Bendis trope since the only reason he brought it up is for the judaism comparison he tends to make in like every book he writes.

Sandfox

Can you describe what you mean with judaism comparison trope? I dont exactly understand what you are refeering to.

Bendis likes to take things like the Havok speech and draw a comparison to something related to Judaism to show his views on something in a deep way.

Squire

Banned
Can you describe what you mean with judaism comparison trope? I dont exactly understand what you are refeering to.

He's referring to mutants as a particularly downtrodden minority in the MU. An analog to the Jews.

Which is an idea I honestly enjoy or am at least not bothered by in practice.

I thought that mention of *** in IM #1 was annoying and out of left field, but I don't expect it's going to be a recurring thing or mentioned again at all because of what's happening
with the Inhumans already.

I don't think there's any reason to worry about it, but it would be nice if Behdis would stop invoking ideas in this line of thinking entirely.
Fuck Disassembled, Dick House of M, stop jerking the X-Men around.

For the record though, I thought IM #1 was good and I liked that last page.

Tizoc

New Saga this week right?

nzfakv.gif

Projectile dodging <3

ElNarez

Banned
mutant cure
young Doom was so weird and forced. I'll give it another issue and see.
It's basically a throwaway line that's not gonna go anywhere. It's here mostly to show that this lady is smart and can have ideas that are just as shitty and terrible as Tony's, which makes their relationship interesting.

But then it's also a bit of a nod to the fact Bendis' last assignment at Marvel was taking point on X-Men.

It's just fun times.

Uh, BK, you Freeza'd your spoiler tag up there. Nobody look.
Just saw it and fixed it.
It's basically a throwaway line that's not gonna go anywhere. It's here mostly to show that this lady is smart and can have ideas that are just as shitty and terrible as Tony's, which makes their relationship interesting.

But then it's also a bit of a nod to the fact Bendis' last assignment at Marvel was taking point on X-Men.

It's just fun times.

And while that's nice and all, I can't help but feel that the whole bit is going to become super plot relevant, based on
the whole bit with "psychics being able to look into her mind and find the cure"

The most interesting thing about that book is the guy writing a 30+ woman that
still thinks that kissing on the first date is a surefire way to lose a man, and explicitly states that that's why she ain't gon do it.

jlawyeahok

Also that
jane foster
is totes down with being stark's wingman

You don't need to read Fraction's F4 to enjoy his FF series with Allred, right?

I didn't read all of it FF but I didn't read any F4 and got along fine for the most part.

I think the first FF trade starts at issue 4 or something though, so I think the first three issues are more connected to F4. But beyond that, you can get by with just FF.

still thinks that kissing on the first date is a surefire way to lose a man, and explicitly states that that's why she ain't gon do it.

jlawyeahok

Also that
jane foster

Friday is pretty dope

Li Kao

Hey ComicGaf, it's the guy who can't make a buying list to save his life. Still not reading comics, because still not able to sort through the hundred titles that interest me.

I have a little question, what are the best comic book sites to read in your opinion ? I must say that at first glance I'm a little lost on that front too. Many sites, but a lot of meh ones. To clarify, I would like to find some quality review site like the much regretted Fourth Rail. Does that sort of things still exists ?
Or whatever site you find unmissable, I'm open.

Okay, thanks! Is there an easy place to see a better list for the whole universe, then? (I'm sure I've broken it a little already anyway by reading through all of the Library Editions first, but oh well...)

Reading Hellboy and BPRD at the same time isn't really an issue, it's mostly the side-series (Abe Sapien, Witchfinder, Lobster Johnson, Sledgehammer) that tends to spoil stuff ahead of time if you read them *before* BPRD. Best way to do it is to check the original release dates and read it in that order, but I'm pretty there's some chronological reading list somewhere if you search onlline

And while that's nice and all, I can't help but feel that the whole bit is going to become super plot relevant, based on
the whole bit with "psychics being able to look into her mind and find the cure"
i didnt get the impression that its going to be a plot point going forward at all

jlawyeahok

Also that
jane foster
yeah but theres a difference between
kissing on the first date and kissing tony stark on the first date. tony stark is gross

Owzers

i still like IGN reviews, they are shorter than they used to be but that's not a bad thing. I think people should just listen to me as to what to buy/drop, having that kind of power would be fun and i would not misuse it.

Fantastic Four #334 - #341: I guess it started off a bit "slowly" with a congressional hearing over a superhero registration act. (Still very interesting though). But then Simonson starts drawing and writing, and the series shoots straight into space. Literally. It is refreshing to see so much happen in 5 issues. Some of the art and paneling used to depict time/space travel are brilliant. And then they return home to find that
Dan Quayle is the President and he is about to lob some missiles at Russia
?!

Question for Ed (or anyone else who may know). Who has 'control' over sound effects in comic book art. Does the writer give directions for placement and size? Or is it the Penciller/Artist? Or the Letterrer?

Li Kao

i still like IGN reviews, they are shorter than they used to be but that's not a bad thing. I think people should just listen to me as to what to buy/drop, having that kind of power would be fun and i would not misuse it.

Eh, why not. At least they don't have a rating scale that goes from 4 to 5 stars.

Will some sales ending tomorrow, and I only read like the first issue of Bacchus, I just balls-deeped on that, Nailbiter, and Shutter. I am pretty sure I won't have time to touch a comic before tomorrow is it is.

Owzers

I read Silver Surfer #8 on MU, having dropped the series at issue #7, and it's still the borderline quality of enjoying it but not wanting to buy it monthly. Dawn's kinda fickle, she
overreacted to the Surfer's role in killing a few billion people. That was in the past!
Random 6/10

Also, if you guys remember this post you gave me shit for back in September...

Launchpad said:

I actually started seeing the girl and it's been going really well. It's been eating into my comics time though, but hey, I'll have a lot of time for that during this dumbass work trip.

#TeamValiantStaysWinning

EDIT: still somehow #2 on the wall of shame this month. Nice.

VanWinkle

I actually started seeing the girl and it's been going really well. It's been eating into my comics time though, but hey, I'll have a lot of time for that during this dumbass work trip.

#TeamValiantStaysWinning

Lol, congrats.

Zombine

Banned
I know, my posts are shit. I'm sorry I offended you Zombine.

No they're good. It's just a bad habit to focus more on being number 1 or whatever the imaginary commendation is than being a valuable part of the community. You're awesome, it's just posting about count or whatever looks like it's some kind of race and believe me it isn't and it's one of the reasons we lost some good folks.

It literally amounts to nothing at all.

Even my quality has become shit :/

Nope :)

Even my quality has become shit :/

What are you on about? Your posts are amazing.

No they're good. It's just a bad habit to focus more on being number 1 or whatever the imaginary commendation is than being a valuable part of the community. You're awesome, it's just posting about count or whatever looks like it's some kind of race and believe me it isn't and it's one of the reasons we lost some good folks.

I was half-joking with that last comment.

However, in all seriousness, I did take what you've said about it before to heart and I've been trying to make my posts more meaningful. But no, I don't really care about post count. I just found it curious that my activity hadn't really decreased all that much despite all the stuff going on in my life and trying to not post random, meaningless comments. I actually had this "problem" in the mafia community here, which is a problem because for other players who don't have as much time, having to read through a bunch of posts is a huge put-off. I'm doing better there, and I'm hoping to do the same here.

Zombine

Banned
What are you on about? Your posts are amazing.

I was half-joking with that last comment.

However, in all seriousness, I did take what you've said about it before to heart and I've been trying to make my posts more meaningful. But no, I don't really care about post count. I just found it curious that my activity hadn't really decreased all that much despite all the stuff going on in my life and trying to not post random, meaningless comments. I actually had this "problem" in the mafia community here, which is a problem because for other players who don't have as much time, having to read through a bunch of posts is a huge put-off. I'm doing better there, and I'm hoping to do the same here.

It's all good dude. I always feel bad because it looks like I'm picking on you but I'm not lol

Looks like I'll be sticking with destiny then.

Trust a fellow Destiny bro. It's a wonderful title and you'll enjoy the fuck out of it. Dude complained about third person when you can make your character third person mid game. Also, the FOV on PC is amazing. I didn't even bother to reply to that post because it smelled like someone going 5-20.

Question for Ed (or anyone else who may know). Who has 'control' over sound effects in comic book art. Does the writer give directions for placement and size? Or is it the Penciller/Artist? Or the Letterrer?
hmm its kind of a case by case thing. the writer usually writes in the script if there's a sound effect. sometimes the artist will draw it in if it interacts with the line art but usually its the letterer that does it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Zombine, where are the pics of your haul!? I wanna see what $1000 gets you at NYCC!

#TeamValiantStaysWinning

Don't worry, I've been doing your Valiant reading for you! Well, until Wednesday I'm stuck reading other comics but I'm doing what I can.

Don't worry, I've been doing your Valiant reading for you! Well, until Wednesday I'm stuck reading other comics but I'm doing what I can.

Valiant is the only thing I've read this week, and Jughead. I'll have some time in between my flight and the next few days of this dumb conference to catch up on some stuff.

Bloodshot and Imperium were crazy good this week.

Zombine

Banned
I know people kinda shit on that Valiant house style, but I kinda dig it. It's nowhere near as shit-tastic as DC's house style, and all of their people at least have varied body types and it's like a Chris Samnee-lite.

Messi

It literally amounts to nothing at all.

Nope :)

Sounds like something someone in third place would say.

:p

Valiant is the only thing I've read this week, and Jughead. I'll have some time in between my flight and the next few days of this dumb conference to catch up on some stuff.

Bloodshot and Imperium were crazy good this week.

Yeah, they were pretty strong. It seems like Imperium might be linked to X-O Manowar some for the next month or two (or not).

Top Bottom