• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I would not be surprised if the character design for Concord got pushed through the "committees" and got turned to their current form. I wouldn't be surprised if some or most on the art team was dissatisfied with the final result for some or most of the characters.

But, like... Look at the skins they were trying to sell. Look at that weird puke green color all over the place. The "intestine" design all over the place. I find it hard to believe that some suit was like, "you know what we need with these skins, more intestine".
What it sounds like is a company culture where everybody is afraid to say what they really think.

You really want to be the guy sticking his neck out advocating for T&A while a bunch of fat ugly feminists dressed like lumberjacks are scowling at you and The Professor is crying about how unsafe she feels?

Definitely reflects poorly on the artist as well, though. If I were interviewing him, I would spend a lot of time on this subject. “Why didn’t you push back against their redesigns when you knew they were a downgrade? Can you give me an example of when you had a disagreement about how a certain design should be? What was the resolution?”

Never get a second chance to make a first impression. Combined with the devs telling the world the game is a 5 on 5 hero shooter just cemented it. At least for an entire year, nobody really knew what the game was aside from a CGI trailer. If it ended up a spoofy fun SP game it wouldnt be so bad (like GotG game), but as a hero shooter it was DOA.

That's not to say a game that got a bad starting impression (F76, RS: Siege and some more) cant start off bad and greatly improve. It can happen with tons of updates. Key difference is those games have a franchise history already, had lots of gamers day one, and had zero politics involved. It involved improving content and gameplay. Not diversity olympics and overhauling the entire artwork. In games like Fallout or a modern soldier game, you dont need crazy cool characters shooting fireballs with blue hair. Just adequate ones that fit the role and thats good enough.

Here's the cast of ugly characters. Bad looks, bad colour palette. Most of the characters have one shade to them. You can practically call them red chick, green guy, yellow robot, purple grandma etc.... Just to prove how unappealing the characters are, when FW posted the beta test results and Top 5 played characters, the top 2 were white/hispanic solider dude and the flying asian girl. Two of the handful of normal looking characters. The rest look ugly or outright retarded like big black tank girl in a turtle shell outfit, fungus head alien and ultra fat filapino dude wearing a bubbly winter jacket with orange dishwasher gloves. And then there's cringey Cmon Cmon Let's Go elfy girl. Then the rest of the Top 5 were hipster shrek, deion sanders with a hat and oddly the faceless astronaut girl wearing a bland spacesuit with the rocket launcher was #5.

Lets face it. If youre going to go for a hero based game (shooter, RPG, fighting, kick ass meathead slashing aliens game etc....) you got to at least make the characters cool. While other kinds of games like puzzles, sports, racing, turn based WWII hex strategy game dont need that appeal to win fans.

Characters-1.jpg
Those skins are too garish to even be used on some generic show on SyFy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What it sounds like is a company culture where everybody is afraid to say what they really think.

You really want to be the guy sticking his neck out advocating for T&A while a bunch of fat ugly feminists dressed like lumberjacks are scowling at you and The Professor is crying about how unsafe she feels?

Definitely reflects poorly on the artist as well, though. If I were interviewing him, I would spend a lot of time on this subject. “Why didn’t you push back against their redesigns when you knew they were a downgrade? Can you give me an example of when you had a disagreement about how a certain design should be? What was the resolution?”
After concord i think that more people are gonna start speaking up, because if you think about it, being scolded by a bunch of retards is still way better than losing you fucking job...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
After concord i think that more people are gonna start speaking up, because if you think about it, being scolded by a bunch of retards is still way better than losing you fucking job...
There's two sets of people who shouldnt lose their job.

1. The people who did the animations/mocap (rock solid job)
2. The people who designed the Concord game pad (one of the best looking themed gamepads Ive seen)

The rest of them... yikes. And includes whichever pricing manager or team set Concord at $40.

Last edited:

sainraja

wasn't redfall basically in a non-working state at release?

concord didn't have that issue so it's automatically better
Although yes, concord is a PVP game vs Redfall which is a PVE game. I am not sure if that had any PVP as I didn't play it long enough. Many things did seem off or glitchy in the game.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
RIP Concord

2024-2024

Yea, I am saying, it was a symbiotic failure. Like I said, I am sure artists were involved when they designed to make skins all puke green and intestines themed (and it is CLEARLY a conscious choice, because it's all over the place). Of course, the suits and committees are going to say the artists were incompetent, and the artists are going to say it was the committees that told them to make the characters shit, but it was both of them to some extent.

My only explanation for Dustborn was they laid it on extra thick in an attempt to get the CHUDs all riled up, thus causing the SJWs to white knight for it and buy it out of principle.

It all went according to plan, aside from that “buying it” part.

But yeah, if I didn’t know the person behind it, I would’ve sworn this was some kind of “let’s see what massive pile of shit we can get the Ministry of Culture to fund” prank/satire.
What they always fail to understand (more like suppress) is that they and their ilk are absolute hypocrites in every facet of their being - and because its all performative to begin with, no one was ever going to buy shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The least they could had done is make servers active all day. Shut them down at midnight.

Looks like the 1 pm EST deadline conveniently coincides with half day Friday. Oh well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The game wrapped up so fast with a refund, you could had bought this on credit card, played the game for a few weeks, and get it refunded on your statement without it ever being paid for, since you dont pay your monthly bill till next month.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My tummy bug lasted longer than Concord. I wish I could say that’s a win but I just want firm shits again.
Some things that lasted longer than concord, since I havent done it the past two weeks:

Cut my toenails, mowed my lawn, my garbage/recycle bins alternate every other week, bag of hamburger buns I ate a few and put the rest in the fridge.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
The top grossing games aren’t exactly all full of T&A.

This game is just ugly and isn’t exactly killing it gameplay wise either.
what really annoyed me was the character designs. the creepy green guy and the big guy with a huge red head. a lot of the other characters are cringe. maybe 1 or 2 half decent designs.

Top Bottom