• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

so a game is bad if it doesn't have enough players?

the internet tore this game apart before it even released.
people are dumb.
are you in this picture?
simpsons-everyones.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Dude's a medic. But there's literally nothing in his design that shows this at a glance. He carries some healing macguffin on his back, but nothing else on his model says "I'm the healguy".
I think he keeps the healing juice in a sack around his FUPA in order to keep it at near body temperature, and dispenses it with those little hoses. The design is starting to make sense now.

Vyse

Gold Member
Concord failure would be a very interesting graduate thesis. I actually did mine for my MBA on the amazing Nintendo 64. Wish I still had my paper. Got an A+! I seriously did this so I could convince my wife that I needed one for research! 🧐

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The morons at Wired are coping:

He wasn’t alone. “One of the biggest perks about the game was the absence of toxicity within the player community,” says Kelle Dees, a content creator at KDeesGamez. “Everything about the game was positive and inclusive.”

Concord may have gotten off to a slow start with gamers (most of whom hadn’t heard of it yet) and critics (who didn’t love the initial character designs), but the same could be said of Elder Scrolls Online, which has since made more than $2 billion, or the Destiny franchise, which celebrates its 10-year anniversary this year, or No Man’s Sky, which has become a cult classic.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Nydius

“One of the biggest perks about the game was the absence of toxicity within the player community,”

What player community? Less than 700 peak CCU isn’t a community. Of course there was no “toxicity” in a game no one was playing. 🤣

My Walmart during midday rush has more people inside than ever played Concord on PC.

I refuse to believe this is not a troll post. This is just too on the nose and cringe that it has to be intentional parody. If it was on Steam, it would be obvious they are farming clowns.

For my sanity, I refuse to believe a person earnestly wrote this. Damn trolls are evolving in their comedy and embedding themselves deep. Flawless.

Last edited:

Denorion

On some places, you saw comments like "Concord characters weren't designed by committee, if they were, they would be a bunch of big tit Waifus and bald space marines, instead, they are quirky misfits"

Then one of the artists of the game pretty much says "they were designed by committee"

VVD0smm.png

tJbj0jM.png

I actually feel bad for most of the devs at firewalk who didn't have decision power, they likely wanted to do something better, but had to cater to "modern audiences tastes"

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
On some places, you saw comments like "Concord characters weren't designed by committee, if they were, they would be a bunch of big tit Waifus and bald space marines, instead, they are quirky misfits"

Then one of the artists of the game pretty much says "they were designed by Comitte"

VVD0smm.png

tJbj0jM.png

I actually feel bad for most of the devs at firewalk who didn't have decision power, they likely wanted to do something better, but had to cater to "modern audiences tastes"
I would not be surprised if the character design for Concord got pushed through the "committees" and got turned to their current form. I wouldn't be surprised if some or most on the art team was dissatisfied with the final result for some or most of the characters.

But, like... Look at the skins they were trying to sell. Look at that weird puke green color all over the place. The "intestine" design all over the place. I find it hard to believe that some suit was like, "you know what we need with these skins, more intestine".

Last edited:

Mownoc

I refuse to believe this is not a troll post. This is just too on the nose and cringe that it has to be intentional parody. If it was on Steam, it would be obvious they are farming clowns.

For my sanity, I refuse to believe a person earnestly wrote this. Damn trolls are evolving in their comedy and embedding themselves deep. Flawless.
His name is John Concord. It's definitely a joke lol.

Topher

Gold Member
The morons at Wired are coping:

Here is a non-paywall version that doesn't give wired a click...

Shallow piece of shit article really. Doesn't delve into why this game was shunned. Just whining and crying.

Last edited:

Majukun

Don’t people need to be playing it, to say it’s got good gameplay? Let me try and boot up the game tonight and see if it’s truly better than Redfall.
wasn't redfall basically in a non-working state at release?

concord didn't have that issue so it's automatically better

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Then one of the artists of the game pretty much says "they were designed by committee"

VVD0smm.png

tJbj0jM.png

The real world gets a whole lot harsher than your feelings being hurt because people didn't like your drawings.

VVD0smm.png

tJbj0jM.png

I don't get the I feel bad/sorry mentality. They're responsible for their own professional pursuits and likely earned a very decent salary working on a high profile game/tech project. If they were really so bothered by management not listening, they're free to look for a different project/job. They made a conscious decision to stay on the train that was very, very clearly headed off a cliff. But hey, shit happens in business, some projects fail and we've seen mass lay-offs (combined with mismanagement) outside of gaming over recent years. People fall and stand up again, it's not the end of the world.
If anything this should serve as a great learning experience for them to make better decisions in the future and it might not hurt to actually reflect and course correct their career (character design & art) paths with AI on the rise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom