• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

marquimvfs

Change .org petition to release concord again, because gamers were busy. The comments are pure gold. It haves a little bit more than 1k signatures, I did my part. Enjoy.

There's also some Brazilian who went full Leonan and couldn't play because they cummed all over their ps5s.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Change .org petition to release concord again, because gamers were busy. The comments are pure gold. It haves a little bit more than 1k signatures, I did my part. Enjoy.

There's also some Brazilian who went full Leonan and couldn't play because they cummed all over their ps5s.
Just signed it, I hope the gaming gods listen to our pleas.

CherryFalls

Banned
QqBjSc3.jpeg
Beautiful. I just ordered a custom frame of this for me wall:

aKHlYx5.png

zapiks44

All these "game journalists" mourning the death of one of the worst games ever made are showing why they have such a poor reputation among gamers nowadays. They could've presented this whole thing as an example of gamers "standing up to multi-billion dollar corporations" and showing that the common people still have power over them. We all love stories like that, don't we? So why didn't they do that? Because the game that we were standing up against aligned with their agenda. Because they don't give a fuck about "gamers"

Imagine if Stellar Blade or Hogwarts Legacy had failed as badly as Concord. The same journalists mourning Concord's demise would be celebrating with articles titled "Stellar Blade's failure proves that audiences firmly reject objectification of women" or similar cringeworthy headlines.

I hope Fairgames and Bungie's Marathon reboot also fail, just to see even more pathetic cope from them.

Barakov

All these "game journalists" mourning the death of one of the worst games ever made are showing why they have such a poor reputation among gamers nowadays. They could've presented this whole thing as an example of gamers "standing up to multi-billion dollar corporations" and showing that the common people still have power over them. We all love stories like that, don't we? So why didn't they do that? Because the game that we were standing up against aligned with their agenda. Because they don't give a fuck about "gamers"

Imagine if Stellar Blade or Hogwarts Legacy had failed as badly as Concord. The same journalists mourning Concord's demise would be celebrating with articles titled "Stellar Blade's failure proves that audiences firmly reject objectification of women" or similar cringeworthy headlines.

I hope Fairgames and Bungie's Marathon reboot also fail, just to see even more pathetic cope from them.
They're definitely more into being activists these days.

marquimvfs

Wow the petition #s have already exceeded the player count. There is obviously a huge pent up demand. Re-release Concord NOW!
Salarymen just got payed the 5th business day, they didn't had the opportunity to buy the thing. Just the opressor capitalist had the money to buy the game in the window it launched, and of course thats not the target audience.

Game "journalists" are just propaganda mouthpieces, even acknowledging they say anything about something is the first mistake. We should all just ignore them to death, it worked for Concord!

If a year ago you had told me this would be a tweet from 2035 or something, i would agree. Imagine this team even dreaming of writing this 2 weeks after release.

It's incredible really.

Also...i was just thinking how Sony started the week closing down a game that was released a bit over a week ago and ended the exact same week with one of their best reviewed games of all time, lmao.

Last edited:

Warablo

Totally are gonna retool and release it as F2P, too much work to just throw away. With that said, the server infrastructure isn't probably worth it.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Totally are gonna retool and release it as F2P, too much work to just throw away. With that said, the server infrastructure isn't probably worth it.

The game is dead, it's being quietly shelved, no developer gave a single hit they would be working on it.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yes agree. They are showing way too much empathy for this studio, ignoring the reported toxicity going on there in the process. They can also be neutral journos and just write that this game rightfully bombed for being a paid hero shooter in an oversaturated market, not to mention for its hideous designs many gamers wouldn't want to spend a dime on.

They are blatantly ignoring the true reasons why this game fucking bombed, because it will rile up the few dozen but very vocal subscribers while the majority of their readers agree. This is the classic example of go woke, go broke.

Fairgames will bomb 200%. I am not even doubting this. Marathon is Bungie and the IP resonates with some long time gamers, but it will likely underperform and eventually fall of a cliff for being an extraction game, much like RB6 Extraction did.

Warablo

The game is dead, it's being quietly shelved, no developer gave a single hit they would be working on it.
The message literally says something along the lines of retooling. I don't know the exact quote though.

EDIT: " and explore options, including those that will better reach our players."

Last edited:
The message literally says something along the lines of retooling. I don't know the exact quote though.

EDIT: " and explore options, including those that will better reach our players."
I wouldn't read too much into that statement as it felt like fairly standard PR speak to me. They could very well come back as a f2p, but my guess is that they will just take the L on this one and maybe utilize some of the code/assets in other projects.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It was posted in one of the threads yesterday or day before. I forget which thread, maybe it was even this one.

But looking good. I knew AI would lead to better stuff artists cant do. And the guy probably did it all messing with the AI tool in an afternoon. Granted the designs are overly sexualized so a game doesnt need it to be that blatant, but it goes to show how an AI tool can make better looking stuff than a grassroots dude in a fraction of the time. Just think of the amount of time, people power and costs it involved with Concord to churn out total junk. Let AI churn out some stuff, then cherry pick the good parts and then forge ahead animating it and adding vocals. Simple.

It's really no different than transforming from pen and paper admin work at the office decades ago to software handling all the core shit. Take the output and improve it. Saves so much time and gives the admin staff time to do more important work like analyzing the data instead of being a paper pushing drone all day. Not hard to understand.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game lasted two weeks.... Community...

LMAO.
You'd think with the way they use the word Freegunners, it's an established term.

We can all now say they are extinct.

A housefly zipping around your house room to room lasts longer. Even the ones who die young at 15 days last longer than Concord. A fucking housefly that beelines to garbage bins and dog doody outlasted a game that is estimated to take 8 years and $100M to make. lol

Houseflies pass through four distinct stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult. The life expectancy of a housefly is generally 15 to 30 days and depends upon temperature and living conditions. Flies dwelling in warm homes and laboratories develop faster and live longer than their counterparts in the wild.

Last edited:
... Not hard to understand.

The AI conversation is very complex, but if any Concord artist comes across videos like these or someone on Twitter posting a revised version of any Concord character design, especially using A.I...

OH MY GOD

They might already feel devastated after the total rejection of their vision (which is good), but this could put them on suicide watch.
I am convinced that the leadership at Firewalk and the producers at PlayStation (in charge of this project) are feeling completely demoralized, humbled, and humiliated.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The AI conversation is very complex, but if any Concord artist comes across videos like these or someone on Twitter posting a revised version of any Concord character design, especially using A.I...

OH MY GOD

They might already feel devastated after the total rejection of their vision (which is good), but this could put them on suicide watch.
I am convinced that the leadership at Firewalk and the producers at PlayStation (in charge of this project) are feeling completely demoralized, humbled, and humiliated.

And they should feel like shit. It was a complete disaster. Even worse, they refunded people. Granted there werent tons of copies sold, but there's also all the disc copies returned which Sony surely comped the retailers. If they are going to refund gamers, they'll refund all the wholesales cases of disc games too. Tons of products die and disappoint, but not too many offer a full refund no questions asked.

Every company big and small releases some clunkers. But it comes down to the magnitude of it, and how well the team improves in the future (assuming they all dont get fired). My company releases shit stuff too that can be cancelled in a year. What a waste of time, small sales and you got to comp the retailer to clear it out. Lesson learned and the marketing and R&D departments will have to do better next time. Thats business, but you move on and try again. And try to make a good product for an audience who will buy it. Not one based on personal interests hoping "if I like it, then everyone should".

I think what game companies should do is stop trying to be wacky wild west offices and try to learn a bit more from traditional companies how to market products and conduct themselves. It'll help mental health issues and put into perspective some business sense instead of winging it with a napkin math game hoping it sells, and employees going ape shit on Twitter.

Most new products dont do well. Its hard to get success and even harder to get ultra success like a a COD or Fortnite. But at least when launching a new product, the whole process of product development, strategy, marketing and ultimately a good product at a good price (value equation) is done in such a way that the company can at least sign off on it as a best foot forward.

However, given how bad Concord was from game to $40 price, the entire team must had been either blindest echo chamber employees ever, or perhaps the conspiracy theory I saw a few times where they knew it was bad but just launched it to just kill it off as sacrificial lamb. I find that hard to believe because you can always pull the product or cancel it. Games get cancelled all the time and EA pulled NBA Elite 2011 when stores had copies (the Jesus incident), so it can happen even for games. But Sony pushed it forward. There is no way anyone can say this launch looked good on paper. It had failure written all over it.

I still find it hard to believe that an entire team of FW employees and Sony execs truly saw this game as a big opportunity. They even bought the studio last year when they saw a game almost done. So they must had loved it enough to write a cheque. Swinging and missing this bad is so hard to believe especially since Sony's track record of first party games and buying studios is usually good.

Last edited:
Lesson learned and the marketing and R&D departments will have to do better next time
the entire team must had been either blindest echo chamber employees ever,
I still find it hard to believe that an entire team of FW employees and Sony execs truly saw this game as a big opportunity.
yeah... and the media is not really taking abou it. (youtubers are tho) in fact; the media is trying to do damage control and spin.

regarding the R&D/Marketing-Focus testing, my gut feeling is that Sony/Firewalk decided to push forward despite knowing the reception might not be very positive or could at least be divisive, largely due to a vocal and toxic minority online (all that "white noise"). Perhaps they genuinely believed they needed to create something truly "diverse" for that specific demographic and prove that success is possible without catering to "those people." Little did they know....

A failure of this magnitude must have tangible consequences but who knows... it's going to be very interesting to see how they handle fairgames.

Nikodemos

I think they just got got by the sunk cost fallacy, along with a relatively sizable amount of hopium (which can be quite toxic for a company, btw).
By contrast, Sega saw the Hyenas beta numbers and said "nah, fuck it, it's not gonna stand on its own" and shitcanned the launch.

But do you think they learned anything?
arguments have been made about why this game falied:

$40
Hero shooter (crowded genre)
6/10
it took too long it was too expensive

current successful Sony GaaS:

Gran turismo, MLB And HD2

Not f2p
best in class (GT/MLB)
innovative not too much competition (HD2)
only MLB is a yearly game (iterative improvemtns)

so, there are only two meaningful things two learn:

make a great game and be best in class.

now of course, the elephant in the room:
the woke/dei

there is only one thing to learn:
Never go full Concord.

so, people inside firewalk learned anything?
No. because that game is them (close the studio no second chances)

Sony producers?
you work to make money, not to allow studios waste money and damage PS reputation?

fairgames it's going to give us a picture how well or bad they learned

Top Bottom