• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops in standoff w/couple in car shoot them dead...turns out the couple was sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we gotta argue for BLM though like all lives are getting killed in these ridiculous ways.

Yep. Mysteriously calls for BLM to stop protesting on roads or yelling at candidates is absent when the shit actually hits the fan as though maybe the thing BLM fights for far exceeds the minor annoyances people seem to take umbrage with. #AllLivesMatter hashtaggers are gone too.

Measley

I could have sworn that the cops initially said that the couple fired on them first, which made them fire back and kill them.

However, now it turns out that the cops outright lied about that and just shot then while they slept? That's insane!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What did the cops do for nearly an hour? Have a hard time believing they were on a megaphone talking to these two without them waking up.

Did they quietly get into murder formation?

Tesseract

Banned
So...charges?

Or do we have to protest, riot, boycott, sit in, block traffic, and disrupt society before that happens?

People bitching about being 5 minutes late for work? This is why. Because NOTHING comes of these stories until black people make a story out of it. If this isn't picked up on CNN...it'll disappear within a day.

yolo

Brinbe

Sad as fuck... Simply sad. Those poor kids.

And absolutely nothing is happening to those wretched cops. At worst they'll skate by with some paid vacay.

I'm confused. It says they are asleep when police arrived.

How are we getting to they were asleep when they were shot?

They might have woken up, but if they had woken up and did something to provoke the officers, then the police force is being particularly dodgy about that point. So either they were asleep when they were shot or they woke and still seemed to do nothing that justified this response since they aren't really clarifying.

Shot while unconscious in a car? Geez. And people said I overreacted when police stopped me. Each time you interact with them, it's like playing Russian roulette.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So what, they went out to have fun, probably got a little too tipsy, responsibly decided to take a nap instead of driving, and got murdered over it?
Most likely.

The sad thing is, if the cops learned about that, the driver would be going away for DUI. If I were a cop, in that situation, I would offer to drive them home, thank them for recognizing their impaired state and pulling over before they hurt anyone, and let them know that they shouldn't let it happen again.

That's what a cop should be. Not someone who fishes for people to incriminate themselves. Not part of an institution which tears families apart and wrecks lives because people stumble along the way of trying to be a good, law abiding member of society. Songs like "Fuck the police," drawings like the one by that child with the cops killing black people, those are symptoms of a police force that is not acting as a force of good, that has earned the distrust of a community.

People criticize the police force because they don't want to be neglected by society. not out of hatred, but a yearning for love. So when a community riots, when people block highways and light rails, it needs to be seen as a cry for help, not a crime to be elimited through negative reinforcement and punishment.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm confused. It says they are asleep when police arrived.

How are we getting to they were asleep when they were shot?
1. Couple is sleeping in a car
2. ???
3. Couple is shot dead

So far, the closest thing to explanation for step 2 is the mayor seemingly speculating that "obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened."

grimmiq

1. Couple is sleeping in a car
2. ???
3. Couple is shot dead

So far, the closest thing to explanation for step 2 is the mayor seemingly speculating that "obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened."

Step 2 will likely be explained by them shouting or sounding their sirens, the couple jerking awake, you know, as you do when you're awoken by loud noises..Then being shot to death.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Step 2 will likely be explained by them shouting or sounding their sirens, the couple jerking awake, you know, how you do when you're awoken by loud noises..Then being shot to death.
That's what I guessed earlier, yes. Cops finally see movement in the car and quickly react.

Breads

Banned
Why are cops so god damn jumpy? How often are they attacked/ shot at really to justify all of the hand waiving of the murders they commit?

This is incredibly sad but I still laughed out loud at the "the police have to finish their investigation before commenting further" quote at the end of that video. How is it appropriate for them to be investigating themselves in this case?

From their standpoint, completely appropriate. I don't think most of the public disagrees either which is the tragic part.

Broseybrose

1. Police create situation
2. Police escalate situation
3. Police shoot 2 human beings to death in order to de-escalate the situation...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This is incredibly sad but I still laughed out loud at the "the police have to finish their investigation before commenting further" quote at the end of that video. How is it appropriate for them to be investigating themselves in this case?

TaeZDVy.jpg

Step 2 will likely be explained by them shouting or sounding their sirens, the couple jerking awake, you know, as you do when you're awoken by loud noises..Then being shot to death.

Someone said they heard the cops giving an order for them to exit the car, and then a few seconds later the cops opened fire. I wouldn't be surprised if that was when they woke up.

If that couple had done anything so utterly damning as to warrant their summary execution, I feel it would have come out at this point. The shooting was last Sunday. These goons are trying to concoct a bullshit story to cover their ass.

MIMIC

Banned
After admitting that the couple was asleep, Butts quickly defended the officers, noting, “Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened.

wut

where's that Winnie the Pooh image

Oh here it is. Fucking

ydXlajw.jpg

They likely called the police themselves. Think about it. Both single. In their 30s, with 7 kids combined. Sounds like a nightmare! The dude had already been convicted for unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in public. They made a pact, pretended to sleep, and let things play out exactly how they expected. Seems like a classic case of suicide by cop..

My belief in the inherent good of humanity REQUIRES that there is more.

Humanity isn't inherently good, it's inherently variable. Pure probability would get you occasions where all the negative points cluster and awful outcomes occur. Add conditions on top of that like racism, etc., that increase the frequency of the negatives, and you're even more likely to get clustering of those points and therefore more horrible outcomes.

They likely called the police themselves. Think about it. Both single. In their 30s, with 7 kids combined. The dude had already been convicted for unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in public. They made a pact, pretended to sleep, and let things play out exactly how they expected. Seems like a classic case of suicide by cop..

:V

Why are cops so god damn jumpy? How often are they attacked/ shot at really to justify all of the hand waiving of the murders they commit?

You have a bunch of Psuedo militaristic people wanting to feel that sense of power that comes with wearing a badge or being in a military organization (After actual service or in lieu of it). They then behave like a military group even though they shouldn't be given the capacity to do so.

Just my personal opinion, not based on any fact other than observation and from people I know who are in law enforcement.

They likely called the police themselves. Think about it. Both single. In their 30s, with 7 kids combined. Sounds like a nightmare! The dude had already been convicted for unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in public. They made a pact, pretended to sleep, and let things play out exactly how they expected. Seems like a classic case of suicide by cop..

unfortunately gordon, that's probably the narrative they are going to run with

SeanC

Maybe I'm mishearing it, because I watched the video twice, but didn't the witness say she heard the cops yelling at the couple then a few seconds later open fire?

Or did she stumble on the tail-end of the yelling after the alleged 45 minutes?

I feel like the 45 minutes they're talking about is them all arriving/gathering/discussing/jerking off and then yelling for a few seconds before opening fire.

Sorry but I'm confused about the gun in the car. Was there actually one that police somehow saw? Was there a rifle propped up in the back of the vehicle or something? I don't know how you can see two sleeping people holding a gun.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
They attempted to rouse them to "de-escalate" the situation. How about they just leave these 2 people be? There wasn't a situation until they arrived on the scene.

Sojgat

After admitting that the couple was asleep, Butts quickly defended the officers, noting, “Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened.”

This is a whole new level of pathetic.

Maybe I'm mishearing it, because I watched the video twice, but didn't the witness say she heard the cops yelling at the couple then a few seconds later open fire?

Or did she stumble on the tail-end of the yelling after the alleged 45 minutes?

I feel like the 45 minutes they're talking about is them all arriving/gathering/discussing/jerking off and then yelling for a few seconds before opening fire.
The cops in Cleveland yelled at tamir rice three times in the .01 milliseconds between when they slammed to a stop a few feet from him and began firing. The point is, cops have physics defying powers of time dilation.

Sulik2

This shit makes my blood boil, what the fuck is going on these days?

Don't cops get the idea that they can't get away with acting this way in this day and age? most cops are decent and good people but the few sour grapes of the lot are just disgusting.

They get away with it all the time. That is why this sort of thing keeps happening.

Ponn

Banned
No, someone felt threatened because that person, and the police department, are so poorly trained they can't differentiate between people sleeping and an obvious threat.

These idiots would probably shoot a decaying corpse if it seemed "threatening".

Dehumanizing snore?

This story is so absurd I just can't even formulate a real thought about it except how stupid and tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom