• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
[Nintex] said:
I recall some Crytek or EA guy say that the PS3 demo was released later so they were able to use the final code for the demo and everyone was like 'yeah' and then it launched and I was like lol playstation.
Of the MP though, I have no reservations of anything until the game ships on PS3. PC is another story, we will see.

Khronikos said:
If the single is somehow that much better than congrats. KZ3's multi looks exactly like single so I am not sure what the hell people are expecting. Their engine is their engine and looks like shit on consoles. You might have lower standards so be it. But that is the word. The truth. And I don't pay nor should you pay 60 dollars or even close to what at times looks like MAG. Some of you guys and gals are in fairy land imo. This game ain't going to pull miracles in single that is not how game engines work. You think single is somehow so much less intensive that there is going to be this great leap in graphics? LOFL. Hilarious.

Are you perturbed, good sir?

pixelbox

subversus said:
What do you mean? I can't understand.
If you're not playing around it means dynamic shadows, the ones that react to light sources uses more memory due to the fact the have to update according to the position of the lighting. Where as baked-in shadows or shadows "painted" on the environment does not interact with lighting, it will always be fixed in the position it was set as. I bet there is no day/night transition in C2 for that reason. And in that opening cutscene as soon as they exit the sub the game cleverly switches to a pre-rendered one, complete with brokn DOF. Hmm

mjc

Can we keep the warz out of here please?

The 360 version looks great in SP, hopefully that bodes well for the PS3 version too.

[Nintex] said:
I recall some Crytek or EA guy say that the PS3 demo was released later so they were able to use the final code for the demo and everyone was like 'yeah' and then it launched and I was like lol playstation.
i believe the quote we got was *near* final. the PS3 demo is on more recent code than the 360, which probably explains why the PS3 demo has better DOF, texture filtering and shadowing than the 360 demo had.

but i don't believe it's final code. very close to it though.

[Nintex]

LiquidMetal14 said:
Of the MP though, I have no reservations of anything until the game ships on PS3. PC is another story, we will see.
I never expected much from the MP to begin with. They might be some of the people who did timesplitters but they also did HAZE and I won't forget.

mjc said:
Can we keep the warz out of here please?
Say what you will about the tenets of Fanboyism, Dude, but at least it's an ethos

adelante

NotTarts said:
They didn't, but you can't see it in the videos, eg:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12527604/crysis/pictures/GIComparison.gif[//IMG]

But it honestly still looks amazing without it, so why does it matter?[/QUOTE]
I didn't say it doesn't look impressive. And that gif serves merely as an example of how GI works; we haven't seen environments in the 360 version lit with/without GI to compare
[QUOTE=Truant]Didn't Eurogamer say it was impressive that they got the GI working on consoles? I may be wrong here, so don't go all nerd-rage on me.[/QUOTE]
Yep, they mentioned it in their tech analysis of the 360 demo. I don't ever recall Crytek not making that feature available for consoles, but these screenshots seem to hint at some neat light propagation (stairway lit by indirect sunlight for eg.)

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/33lcdfl.jpg

1z4l3cx.jpg

bj00rn_

Banned
Khronikos said:
Oh, good god. These posts should be edited for extreme exaggeration. Game isn't even top 5. U2 still holds this crown by quite the margin on consoles imo and in 720p without framedrops or tearing or some shitty AA. Not sure how anybody could disagree harshly unless you are blind.

All this talk of realtime this and that. Make your game look good not your fucking tech rhetoric.

Yeah, well.. Ok then..

Anyway, looking at the 360 video, it does look pretty damn good. Some LOD of course, but ok.

Khronikos

Banned
Okay? WHAT! The game looks like shit. These screenies don't show anything but a fucking screen. Yay. In motion with the entire world around you, on consoles, this game has nothing on any of the top games on any system. All I hear is this drooling of tech banter that means nothing in the real world. You guys are living in one frame in a game that is supposed to keep 30 of them clean and pristine every second without jaggies and pop in. Keep living that fantasy because you are happier than I am.

Cornbread78

scitek said:
I liked the multiplayer. It wasn't original, but I thought the map design was pretty awesome. Lots of shortcuts, places to hide, good XP system, good gunplay, etc. I played a shit-ton of CoD4 and World at War, and it honestly was just as fun.

That makes me feel a little better at least...

Khronikos said:
If the single is somehow that much better than congrats. KZ3's multi looks exactly like single so I am not sure what the hell people are expecting. Their engine is their engine and looks like shit on consoles. You might have lower standards so be it. But that is the word. The truth. And I don't pay nor should you pay 60 dollars or even close to what at times looks like MAG. Some of you guys and gals are in fairy land imo. This game ain't going to pull miracles in single that is not how game engines work. You think single is somehow so much less intensive that there is going to be this great leap in graphics? LOFL. Hilarious.

Come on, it's not that bad, it's a very good looking game and a definite upgrade compared to other console games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2 and those fallout games.

S1kkZ

Khronikos said:
Okay? WHAT! The game looks like shit. These screenies don't show anything but a fucking screen. Yay. In motion with the entire world around you, on consoles, this game has nothing on any of the top games on any system. All I hear is this drooling of tech banter that means nothing in the real world. You guys are living in one frame in a game that is supposed to keep 30 of them clean and pristine every second without jaggies and pop in. Keep living that fantasy because you are happier than I am.
wow

Khronikos said:
Look at the videos that are coming out of the retail release, looks great.

Khronikos said:
wtf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy22sYZ8QsU <- That's right up there with any of the best looking console games (Uncharted, Killzone, Gears, and so on)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So now we have direct capture 360 and shitty off screen PS3 footage. This thread is getting stupid/entertaining fast.

Khronikos

Banned
Video. Yeah.... Let's go play this to remind of all the horrid deficiencies. I don't hold water for frothing devs who want to make a name for themselves on consoles while also calling their game the most graphically advanced thing on the planet. This game is a generation or more behind KZ3 or U2. Enough said. Crytek have always been and will possibly be the one of the most inefficient devs around. Unless you give them the world they won't give you but a slice. Give ND or GG a High End PC and Crytek will no longer be anything but a memory mark my words. I don' tlike their tepid comments about GG and 3D. I don't like their whole persona that they come in and destroy console devs. They didn't they don't I am NOT saying this game is horrible. I AM saying they talk a lot of shit and don't back much of it up. I expected a game close to KZ3. Not even close.

Dennis

Banned
Khronikos said:
Video. Yeah.... Let's go play this to remind of all the horrid deficiencies. I don't hold water for frothing devs who want to make a name for themselves on consoles while also calling their game the most graphically advanced thing on the planet. This game is a generation or more behind KZ3 or U2. Enough said. Crytek have always been and will possibly be the one of the most inefficient devs around. Unless you give them the world they won't give you but a slice. Give ND or GG a High End PC and Crytek will no longer be anything but a memory mark my words.
Then please stop talking.

Khronikos said:

Name 3 console FPS games that look better

Khronikos said:
Video. Yeah.... Let's go play this to remind of all the horrid deficiencies. I don't hold water for frothing devs who want to make a name for themselves on consoles while also calling their game the most graphically advanced thing on the planet. This game is a generation or more behind KZ3 or U2. Enough said. Crytek have always been and will possibly be the one of the most inefficient devs around. Unless you give them the world they won't give you but a slice. Give ND or GG a High End PC and Crytek will no longer be anything but a memory mark my words.
oh boy. i'm glad you stopped by actually, you've given me a very clear reminder that it isn't just PC gamers that get upset about multiplatform titles.

Khronikos said:
lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OP sucks so hard. I don't know too much about this game, other than HYPE, but the vids in the OP look like fun. Can't the OP be more robust? Also, include day one bonuses, prices, etc. That's always nice.

Preordered on Amazon.

As I said in another thread: The game looks outstanding. Even on consoles. Fellow Germans should get the newest issue of Games Aktuell. They have a video review of the game and they even compare the console versions with the PC version.

The console versions got 93 out of 100 in graphics.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LiquidMetal14 said:

This is stupid reasoning. Unless Crytek has optimized the hell out of the PS3 engine :)lol @ that given how silent they've been over the past two years on this version. Never showing any shots, and trailers generally being the PC verison), I wouldn't hold my breath after the terrible performance of the PS3 demo.

PS3 demo (That's gonna be pulled. Not even a week since it launched. Try, two-three days.):

+ Graphics are okay, but
- Kinda weak. I'm not impressed
- Framerate is all over the map and sub-30.
+ Skyline map is fun
- Pier not so much
- Gunplay is swing and miss. I can unload an entire ammo cache of the shotgun into a person, no hits. Five bullets from the dude? DEATH. Bullshit. And this isn't a LOL U SUX thing, given people are complaining about the stupid amount of bullets required to kill someone. Oh, right that reminds me
-All the guns in general are shit except the
+ LMG, which was utter hax in hip-fire AND ADS
- Melee sucks. No, I'm not talking the DERP HERP ONE SHOT AUTO-AIMED melee CoD has. If I hit you three times, you should be dead.
- Stealth promotes camping in corners and waiting for energy to recharge to stealth some more.

Sooooo many negatives that I could go on and on and on about, but let's just say: After the hype for Crytek's "SUPER MEGADUPER RAD ENGINE THAT'S NOW MULTIPLATFORM!" I'm not impressed. This is what they've been doing since Far Cry: Instincts?

Honestly: Just go back to Ubisoft and do a proper Far Cry 2/Far Cry: Instincts 2, Crytek. At least with Ubisoft they seemed to rub your nose in shit and go "NO! OPTIMIZE! MAKE IT FUN! MAP EDITIOR THAT'S FUN TO USE!"

Khronikos

Banned
KZ3, KZ2, Battlefield 2, Halo Reach. That is 4. Add R3 and B3 is there as well easily. CoD and R2 are doing 60 FPS R2 without drops so....

Every time I look up at the sky in C2 I just say yeah, and KZ3 kills this shit.

[Nintex]

Khronikos said:
KZ3, KZ2, Battlefield 2, Halo Reach. That is 4. Add R3 and B3 is there as well easily. CoD and R2 are doing 60 FPS R2 without drops so....
Shut up Donny you have no frame of reference here.

TheSeks said:
Sooooo many negatives that I could go on and on and on about, but let's just say: After the hype for Crytek's "SUPER MEGADUPER RAD ENGINE THAT'S NOW MULTIPLATFORM!" I'm not impressed. This is what they've been doing since Far Cry: Instincts?

Honestly: Just go back to Ubisoft and do a proper Far Cry 2/Far Cry: Instincts 2, Crytek. At least with Ubisoft they seemed to rub your nose in shit and go "NO! OPTIMIZE! MAKE IT FUN! MAP EDITIOR THAT'S FUN TO USE!"
you seem to have a few wires crossed. Crytek didn't have anything to do with Far Cry Instints other than the fact that it ran on their engine.

Nirolak said:
Right, I understand why it happens, but I feel if people can get so worked up that the Dragon Age 2 OT hits 2500 posts before the game even releases that we should at least be able to get something like Retribution past 200 posts.

Unfortunately there just seems to be no interest in most smaller to medium PC exclusives, both from most forums I've seen and the media in general, so I'm never too surprised when I see a console focused sequel.

There are definitely some places that are better about it, but I still find it rather unfortunate, since we do a good job even with niche handheld titles which are largely despised here.

True fact, and that is the principal reason PC Crysis fans, such as myself, are a little bit dissapointed... because Crysis wasn't medium exclusive.. it was THE exclusive (besides SC2 and maybe WoW for some). It was the game to justify your latest hardware adquisitions, and to test the power of your rig. That's why it is such a huge disapointment to see little to none options for configuration in the demo, and if the demo has to speak for the final release, it's pretty underwhelming.

Anyway, that Crysis 2 leaked footage (that I bet my ass it's PC Footage with a 360 controller) looks impresive! It isn't wide open as GTA4 but it isn't corridors as CoD, and I guess I would call it a little more open than Halo but we'll see.

I'll just wait for the final release of the game, and see if it is worth the $60 tag value, if not I'll buy it when it's cheaper or on sale on Steam because as I have said before, this game looks promising but I still don't feel the Crysis vibe... we'll see

*hoping for the best and DX11 to redeem Crytek*

Khronikos

Banned
I will say I am going mainly off the PS3 build. I have played both but the 360 had other wonky things that the PS3 build seemingly was bereft of though I have no clue what is final or what is not. I suspect the 360 would edge out the PS3 as it's in their blood code to work for that line. The PS3 does usually get the edge with texture pop in when working from 360 port code, though.

I'm going to continue laughing when I pop this rental in and it looks exactly like the demo. You guys are really blowing this over. It's not going to pull miracles no game does this soon before launch. I know some of GAF knows this but good lord some of you are seriously not looking at this critically at all. That is fine. But don't berate me and tell me to close my mouth because I do. Fascism here anyone. I'll take a teabag for two.

TheSeks said:
PS3 demo (That's gonna be pulled. Not even a week since it launched. Try, two-three days.):

wow just wow, I didn't know that, it took a lot of hours for some people to download that demo and it is going to be pulled after only 3 days.
Crytek knows the PS3 version is fucked up and the Demo is making people cancel pre-orders instead of selling the game
I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't for Cevat's bullshit comments, poor guy is going to eat a lot of crow

Khronikos said:
Video. Yeah.... Let's go play this to remind of all the horrid deficiencies. I don't hold water for frothing devs who want to make a name for themselves on consoles while also calling their game the most graphically advanced thing on the planet. This game is a generation or more behind KZ3 or U2. Enough said. Crytek have always been and will possibly be the one of the most inefficient devs around. Unless you give them the world they won't give you but a slice. Give ND or GG a High End PC and Crytek will no longer be anything but a memory mark my words. I don' tlike their tepid comments about GG and 3D. I don't like their whole persona that they come in and destroy console devs. They didn't they don't I am NOT saying this game is horrible. I AM saying they talk a lot of shit and don't back much of it up. I expected a game close to KZ3. Not even close.

hmm...

Khronikos said:
Every time I look up at the sky in C2 I just say yeah, and KZ3 kills this shit.

LOL R2 is definitely not doing 60 fps, not unless we're dealing with some imaginary world of unicorns and roaming gnomes.

Top Bottom