• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

CryptiK

DennisK4 said:
I was also very worried about the SP after playing the MP demo but my fears turned out to be unfounded.

Edit: I just saw you edit. Of course this is a Crysis game.
How is it? It is 10x more linear. Nothing ever Crysis 1 or alien wise is really explained till then end and even then the ending flashback is full of plot holes. Crysis was about large open environments not enclosed area that seem large and open. The ending fight was weak LOOK at the Crysis ending fight HOLY SHIT.. its a really bad reboot and I hope it is disregarded in the future as a Crysis game because it simply is not its just Call of Duty: Future Warfare.

perineumlick said:
Heh...I do that all the time. It just makes sense, lol. Works on some Cephs too.

Re-posting this from my earlier comment:

"I'm having a visual issue with the 360 version of C2 that's driving me crazy. I'm seeing what appears to be wavy lines or noise in the background, as if there's some interference going on somewhere. I've checked my TV connections, switched TVs, switched HDMI cables, etc., yet the problem remains. No other games that I play on the system exhibit this problem. It's really bugging me, as it detracts from the graphical quality, and it's really noticeable on the darker levels, of which there's several towards the end of the game. Now I can't unsee it; has anyone experienced this?"

Sadly I must be the only one experiencing this. Pissing me off to no end; have no idea what it could be besides the game itself.
I noticed a bit of noise in the background, but figured it's just film grain.

Are they using film grain? :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Heavy said:
Is this that encounter near the middle of the game? That was tough. There's a little corner to the left of the diner/store you come out of with a dumpster that you can take cover at if it gets too crazy. Also throw C4s at him easy by getting on top of the train tracks.
Ahahaha. That's the easy Pinger fight. The others are complete bastards.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
IronRinn said:
Crysis 2's Shocking Tech Compromise: Proof

And, yes, it seems there are people in the comments who have taken it seriously.
They have taken it too serioulsy:

no one cares, crysis was just a techdemo/bench marking tool you werent suppose to actually play the dire game.

crysis 2 is just another bad console port

Interesting analysis, although I guess maybe not that surprising unfortunately. Modders will enhance the textures and whatnot like they did with Crysis 1 though? A shame that usually modders nowadays mean so much to the PC Gaming community (*cough* would I have spent 150h on Oblivion without mods? *cough*) and they don’t get enough credit.

Although it would’ve been sweeter if you had told Cevat Yerli to choke on his flaccid member and demanded your money back like a well known tech site did

CryptiK said:
How is it? It is 10x more linear. Nothing ever Crysis 1 or alien wise is really explained till then end and even then the ending flashback is full of plot holes. Crysis was about large open environments not enclosed area that seem large and open. The ending fight was weak LOOK at the Crysis ending fight HOLY SHIT.. its a really bad reboot and I hope it is disregarded in the future as a Crysis game because it simply is not its just Call of Duty: Future Warfare.
This is just a ridiculous statement. Nothing like COD at all.

The game might be more closed in but you have the same amount of freedom to tackle objectives in whatever way you want. Let's not forget that the last 5 chapters (out of 11 total) of Crysis were as linear (or more so) than the most linear chapter in this game. C2's environments are so much more open than COD's literal train tracks it's not even funny.

RoboPlato said:
Sheeeeeeiitttt!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CryptiK said:

Crysis' ending fight is one of the worst FPS boss fights I can think of in recent memory. I fucking hated every second.

And comparing this to Call of Duty shows you really have no idea what you're talking about. It's different in many ways to Crysis, but it has next to nothing in common with Call of Duty.

derFeef

CryptiK said:

Crysis 1 was not that open and large as many think to remember. And Crysis 2 is by no means a CoD game (what the hell). It is Crysis at its heart. And only more streamlined if you let the game streamline it for you.

Blue Ninja said:
I noticed a bit of noise in the background, but figured it's just film grain.

Are they using film grain? :lol

I'm noticing more than film grain; I see wavy lines of interference. It doesn't boldly stand out, but if you look closely you see it, then you can't stop seeing it. It seems like it comes and goes too. None of my other games do this.

RoboPlato said:
No actually the grand central is the ONLY hard pinger fight. The rest are easy because you can just run around in cloak and it would never find you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone comparing Crysis 2 to CoD has never played a CoD game. Even the smaller fights in Crysis 2 are bigger than most of the biggest battles in any CoD. You also have nowhere near the same amount of options in CoD as you do in Crysis 2.

Lostconfused said:
No actually the grand central is the ONLY hard pinger fight. The rest are easy because you can just run around in cloak and it would never find you.
I had more difficulty with the
Times Square in the dark one.
It would probably be easier now since I have a good path figured out for how to get around.

RoboPlato said:
Anyone comparing Crysis 2 to CoD has never played a CoD game. Even the smaller fights in Crysis 2 are bigger than most of the biggest battles in any CoD. You also have nowhere near the same amount of options in CoD as you do in Crysis 2.
What? Um no, Crysis 2 definitely gets pretty small. The Hargreave-Rasch building where you just run down office hallways. The subway tunnels, the power station, the Prism. I mean there aren't a lot of areas like that but the smallest fights in Crysis 2 get just as small as anything in call of duty.
RoboPlato said:
I had more difficulty with the
Times Square in the dark one.
It would probably be easier now since I have a good path figured out for how to get around.
Haha really? You can just fire a JAW at it from like 30 or 40 meters away and cloak then it would pathetically try to ping or do a directional attack or something and it would have absolutely not effect. Incredibly easy. The hard part about that fight isn't the pinger but the random ceph that you might run into while you let your energy recharge.

Hixx

RoboPlato said:

I thought that was the toughest. Mainly because your suit by that point didn't have most of the better upgrades. The last one was definitely the easiest.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
perineumlick said:
I'm noticing more than film grain; I see wavy lines of interference. It doesn't boldly stand out, but if you look closely you see it, then you can't stop seeing it. It seems like it comes and goes too. None of my other games do this.

Yep same here, bloody annoying once you see it, at first I thought it was my TV, the grain isn't so bad, it's the lines that are bugging, anyone know what this is?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lostconfused said:
What? Um no, Crysis 2 definitely gets pretty small. The Hargreave-Rasch building where you just run down office hallways. The subway tunnels, the power station, the Prism. I mean there aren't a lot of areas like that but the smallest fights in Crysis 2 get just as small as anything in call of duty.
I wasn't referring to the smallest fights but some of the smaller ones. Sure, there are a few moments in corridors but even then you have a lot more flexibility for how to approach the situation, which makes this far more engaging than CoD.

RoboPlato said:
I wasn't referring to the smallest fights but some of the smaller ones. Sure, there are a few moments in corridors but even then you have a lot more flexibility for how to approach the situation, which makes this far more engaging than CoD.
Sure but the point was that there are a lot of hallway shooter moments in Crysis 2, which is what CoD is pretty much.

Edit: It also much more linear than Crysis.

CryptiK

OK maybe the Call of Duty comment was a bit far but this game didnt feel like Crysis at all. As derFeef mention it was streamlined. I found the areas much smaller every time you versed a Pinger you were stuck in a square or rectangle area. I remember various parts of C1 where you would fight the scouts on a HUGE icy plain it was great it felt like I had freedom which brings me to my next point the suit streamling I hated it it didnt feel as natural as Crysis. I used to combo the crap out of the abilities in Crysis and found myself now going What? No speed no strength this is ridiculous. What was worst of all was that NORMAL SPRINT was now the speed mode seriously the suit cant run? I laughed when I went through and got "speeding tickets". The suit was just handled horribly in my opinion and was made clearly to cater to the console audience. I was hoping we would have sandbox 3 on release so they could fix the suit to be exactly like number one but unfortunatly they couldnt even deliver the bare essentials that Crysis had. This was a big step back to be honest.

The game was fun I am not gunna lie but when you step back and think wait this is Crysis without the seeing the options for a Nano Suit or seeing the Nansuit itself this could have easily been mistaken for a completely different and unreleated game.

Also a weird plot hole:

during one of the last flashbacks you see Prophet on teh Lanchin Islands again and you see him at the core of the Alien ship/Hive he is wearing the Nanosuit 2... and when he appears in New York he again is wearing Nanosuit 2 err where the fuck did it come from?

-viper-

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Well, the texture comparison settles it. Downgrade total.

Crysis

Crysis 2

Haha, fucking nutjobs.

Crysis 2 looks fucking incredible. It's a crime that it looks this good!

Crysis one looks no where near as spectacular.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hate your screenshots so much.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
Just beat the game in one sitting. What a ride, It took me about 9 1/2 hours. It was my first play-through, I played on Post Human Warrior difficulty.

Spoiler-Free Impressions:

Stealthed my way through about 40% of the game, after the first level i ignored the visor for tactical pathfinding 95% of the time since I didn't like having my hand held. Probably spent 1/2 of the game killing with the M60 once I found it. Only really got stuck once, spent about 1.5 hours on a certain encounter, had trouble finding the ammo dumps and getting lucky during that fight...

Graphically it was impressive, the lighting especially. Well optimized. And a great story imo. Nice and action packed. It didn't end when it started to get good, and it kept on going and throwing more action at you without tiring you out, It's a shame Crytek dropped the ball with just about every other aspect of this game's PC version.

I seriously don't understand how someone can spend 9 1/2 hours straight in one game, alone. And you didn't even think it was that great or anything.

Geez

Dennis

Banned
Heavy said:
Those are downsampled again, improves sharpness by quite a bit.
No.

These are 1920x1200. The orginal 2560x1600 shots are of equal sharpness. Downsampling reduces aliasing but it does not by itsef sharpen the image.

DennisK4 said:
No.

These are 1920x1200. The orginal 2560x1600 shots are of equal sharpness. Downsampling reduces aliasing but it does not by itsef sharpen the image.
Post an original if you can. I'd like to see the diff.

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
No.

I think that's is point, somewhat. The shots are taken with additional pixel information, as well as MSAA, and downsampled. The result, with the aliasing reduction, produces an image that isn't necessarily representive of how the game would look running at that particular native resolution.

That's how it looks to you though, because you're running at high resolution with a greater pixel density. I get that shitty MSAA blur, and you probably dont because there's more information to work with thanks to the greater pixel resolution, thus when downsampled they tend to look better than my native 1080p shots.

EatChildren said:
I think that's is point, somewhat. The shots are taken with additional pixel information, as well as MSAA, and downsampled. The result, with the aliasing reduction, produces an image that isn't necessarily representive of how the game would look running at that particular native resolution.

That's how it looks to you though, because you're running at high resolution with a greater pixel density. I get that shitty MSAA blur, and you probably dont because there's more information to work with thanks to the greater pixel resolution, thus when downsampled they tend to look better than my native 1080p shots.
Yeah, exactly.

jett

D-Member
I've come to the conclusion that single-player is horribly unbalanced. You're just too much of a beast, even in Post-human. Game's just really easy and also badly designed at points: you can skip several levels entirely by just cloaking and moving to the designated target. I also just discovered the craziness that is the Jackal, thanks for the tip guys. :p How is it that the brutes are more susceptible to a shotgun than RPGs? This game needs a Director's Cut or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:
Nobody can tell me that original isn't sharp.
They look pretty close on my monitor.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed that seems strange is that there are two different names for the highest difficulty. It's Superhuman on consoles but Post-human on PC. I like the Post-human title better, it fits in really well with the game's story.

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
Nobody can tell me that original isn't sharp.

It is that sharp. Nobody is saying otherwise. What we're saying is that someone running at a native resolution akin your downsampled pictures wont necessarily achieve identical image quality, as they're factoring in MSAA and pixel information native to that resolution. With additional pixel information you've also got extra clarity over distance, and downsampling improves what might otherwise be blurring anti-aliasing.

It looks just like that for you because of your greater pixel density, so in that respect they're not false shots or anything. They're how it looks truthfully for you. But someone running at the same resolution as your downsampled shots, they probably wont get the same clarity, as they're stuck with native resolution anti-aliasing as opposed to the benefits of downsampling the image.

Its not a big deal. As said, thats how it looks for you, and frankly I prefer the smaller shots over behemoth forum stretching shots. But it might does explain why I'm getting weaker texture clarity in my native shots.

The alternative is that my MSAA is borked and I hate it. This too is likely.

Dennis

Banned
Notice also on the original how little aliasing there are. The pixel density plus 4xMSSA really does produce a remarkably jaggy-free image.

Dennis

Banned
neoism said:
This is the one of the best single player FPS's ever...
Yes.

The only real (non-graphical) concession that has been made to the consoles seems to me to be level size.

Unfortunately that means we can't have the sublime levels like Onslaught and Assault from Crysis. Other than that, this is a masterpiece.

jett said:
I've come to the conclusion that single-player is horribly unbalanced. You're just too much of a beast, even in Post-human. Game's just really easy and also badly designed at points: you can skip several levels entirely by just cloaking and moving to the designated target. I also just discovered the craziness that is the Jackal, thanks for the tip guys. :p How is it that the brutes are more susceptible to a shotgun than RPGs? This game needs a Director's Cut or something.
Well same arguments can apply to Crysis as well. Delta isn't really hard at all, it can be difficult depending on the way you play but you don't really find your self in impossible situations and there is usually an easy way to get around any problems you might encounter. You could bypass a lot of combat by cloaking and sneaking around in Crysis as well.

Now that we are stuck with the checkpoint system it kind of botches the whole thing. It just feels like you have to progress and hit the check point. With quick save you can just find an interesting situation and keep replaying it over and over again because its fun and then move on when you feel like it.

Edit: Hey don't forget Relic. Relic is pretty great too, other than you know choppers hounding your ass all the time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:
Yes.

The only real (non-graphical) concession that has been made to the consoles seems to me to be level size.

Unfortunately that means we can't have the sublime levels like Onslaught and Assault from Crysis. Other than that, this is a masterpiece.
There's one battle about 2/3 of the way through that's the most fantastic single combat section from an FPS I've ever played. It's 20 minutes or so, huge, and there are so many options. It's also fucking gorgeous.

aeolist

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Yes.

Or vehicles that are worth anything, or destructibility at even the minimum level Crysis 1 had.

V_Arnold

CryptiK said:
Just finished the game then. I spoke to soon on how shitty the SP will be but it turned out to a fantastic NON-Crysis game

Yeah, it turned out to be a Crysis-2 game, not a Crysis-1 game.

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
Yes.

The level in Crysis 2 that comes closest to that, in my opinion, is the one where
there's a huge battleground of marines and aliens, with those big tendral things sticking out of the ground, and you need to go into the underground car park to set the charges, then find the detonator and blow them.

It's an extrodinary level, pretty huge in size, tons of stuff going on, and a good few places to explore. Lots of places to jump up to as well.

It reminded me a ton of Assault.

McLovin

I decided to crank up the difficulty and see if the AI reacted differently. They became more aggressive, but to my surprise they became dumber. They're getting caught on things more often, going around in circles, and die trying to get away from my grenades. I also found it easier to kill these guys while cloaked and I could usually clear the room without getting detected. It's definitely not as noticeable in normal. Or most likely I wasn't actively looking for bad AI... I take back what I said earlier C1 had way better AI. AI and graphical issues aside I had more fun with C2 and mp is lots of fun. I hope the fix these issues when C3 releases.

Top Bottom