• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Dennis

Banned
aeolist said:
Or vehicles that are worth anything, or destructibility at even the minimum level Crysis 1 had.
You are right about the lack of destructibility in Crysis 2.

That and the level size is the most disappointing aspects of an otherwise fantastic game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
aeolist said:
Also do bullets penetrate materials at all? They did in Crysis 1 but it really doesn't seem like they do anymore.
They do, there's just not many materials that they can get through in NYC.

EatChildren said:
The level in Crysis 2 that comes closest to that, in my opinion, is the one where
there's a huge battleground of marines and aliens, with those big tendral things sticking out of the ground, and you need to go into the underground car park to set the charges, then find the detonator and blow them.

It's an extrodinary level, pretty huge in size, tons of stuff going on, and a good few places to explore. Lots of places to jump up to as well.

It reminded me a ton of Assault.
That's the level I was referring to earlier. It's sublime.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
That and the level size is the most disappointing aspects of an otherwise fantastic game.

As said, you're so early on you really haven't seen how big the levels can get. They dont match the biggest of Crysis, but they're much larger than earlier stages.

RoboPlato knows whats going on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Neuromancer said:
Yes, yes it is. Certainly in this generation.
It's pretty close.

The game is really great for the most part, but the AI is disappointing, enemy variety is low, and the story telling poor. Despite those issues, the experience can be really incredible and it just feels amazing to play.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
As said, you're so early on you really haven't seen how big the levels can get. They dont match the biggest of Crysis, but they're much larger than earlier stages.

You mean the game gets better than where I am now?

OH MY GODDDDDDD!!!!!!!

BeeDog

Just finished the single-player campaign. Some short impressions below:

Pros:

+ The campaign felt quite meaty and there's plenty of content here (despite my ingame clock saying 6h58m...). The game didn't overstay its welcome and was easily worth the price of admission (PC version).
+ Incredible graphics; I dare say it's the best-looking game I've laid my eyes on. Sure, if you pick out parts independently (e.g. textures, physics, whatever) you can argue that other games (even C1) do things better, but the overall package is the best I've seen. Especially the night levels, goddamn. And the framerate was silky-smooth, especially compared to Crysis 1! Thanks consoles for forcing Crytek to optimize the shit out of the engine.
+ Great level design and impeccable production values. Despite the more focused/linear/"consolized" approach to the game compared to its predecessor, I think the overall level design is vastly improved. There's plenty of locale variation, and it's always nice to see a new cool-looking area. Most of the set-pieces were awesome as well.
+ The pacing was excellent, and as some have said, parts of the game had a HL2-like feeling to them.
+ Good weapon variation, and the gunplay was generally good. The shotguns felt extremely good, but some of the machine guns were a bit weak (too much "PFT PFT PFT" squirt-ish).
+ Improved control scheme for the suit powers. It was much easier combining the different suit powers and accomplish cool things. You actually felt like a god in this game.
+ The music is incredible, especially the main theme.

Cons:

- Generally lousy voice acting and script. The VA that was used for Gould was TERRIBLE, and so was Prophet this time around (I don't recall him sounding so idiotic in Crysis 1). Some exceptions can of course be found: Hargreave was well-voiced, though I also find the script for him crappy.
- Nonsensical story and poor ties to the first game. If it wasn't for Prophet and the suit, it would be very hard to connect C1 and C2. The alien looks have changed, the hyper-realistic military tone from C1 is pretty much gone, the art direction overall is vastly different and the story that was depicted in C1 didn't seem to carry over well at all. Making the suit some kind of
super-symbiotic God
suit was retarded.
- Level transitions were pretty bad. Killzone 3 got some (valid) flak for the transition to the snow vehicle, but pretty much every level in Crysis 2 begins strangely. In one level, you start in the corner of two tall buildings with no explanation on how you ended up there. Pretty jarring, really.
- The terrible AI, good lord. The CELL soldiers are completely braindead most of the time, and the alien enemies aren't much smarter. They'd run straight into grenades, ignore me completely, detect me when they shouldn't be able to, walk off cliffs and so on. The AI in Crysis 1 wasn't excellent by any means, but someone in this thread was correct, they were rocket scientists compared to the enemies here.
- The amount of strange glitches was also too bad. As many have said, I kept losing all my gathered nano catalysts for no reasons at all, and occasionally a bug prevented me from gathering any new catalysts (until a new level started or I'd reload). Also, there was a very strange bug that occurred several times which prevented me from switching weapons for some stupid reason, or to replace a weapon in my inventory. The game needed some more polishing time.
- This is a minor complaint, but the weapon placement and the low ammo carrying capacity wasn't perfect. Personally, I would have preferred if you could carry more ammo instead of having to run to ammo boxes all the time. Also, the weapon placement prevents the player from actually trying most of the weapons in the game (or rather, utilizing them to their full potential).

Overall, it's an excellent FPS marred by a number of stupid things. Still, I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants a meaty shooter.

This is one of the few games where I've seen Dennis talk about actual gameplay, rather than just graphics!

A good sign.

My PC is back together/upgraded so I'm starting this tonight. Here we gooo.

GABDEG

perineumlick said:
I'm noticing more than film grain; I see wavy lines of interference. It doesn't boldly stand out, but if you look closely you see it, then you can't stop seeing it. It seems like it comes and goes too. None of my other games do this.
That is their grain effect. It's there for me 100% as swell, saw it in the level where the lights go out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
You mean the game gets better than where I am now?

OH MY GODDDDDDD!!!!!!!

In terms of openess and 'Crysis'-like levels, you haven't seen anything yet.

And when it come to graphics, you still have so much more to see.

Alright guys, because people are a bit unsure of the effects of downsampling, I took a few images just now rendered at different resolutions and downsampled to 1080p to show the effect. These are all with Crytek's 4xMSAA. You should be able to see it does nothing for the textures and only cleans up the edges of things. It's most noticable on the hand:

1920x1080

2400x1350

2880x1620

wow this thread is large, I have been trying to jump around and find some impressions on the 360 version, it seems like the consensus is that the 360 version is pretty good?

-how long is the single player game?
-is the game worth it if I don't plan on playing MP?

thanks!

JetBlackPanda said:
Some say 10-12 hours. Either way its definitely much longer than your average console shooter.

The single player is the best part of the game and its pretty good.

Dennis

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
wow this thread is large, I have been trying to jump around and find some impressions on the 360 version, it seems like the consensus is that the 360 version is pretty good?

thanks!
Don't know about the 360 version.

The game is 9 hours at least, seems to be the consensus. And yeah, the SP is great.

EatChildren

DeadRockstar said:
Alright guys, because people are a bit unsure of the effects of downsampling, I took a few images just now rendered at different resolutions and downsampled to 1080p to show the effect. These are all with Crytek's 4xMSAA. You should be able to see it does nothing for the textures and only cleans up the edges of things. It's most noticable on the hand:

1920x1080

2400x1350

2880x1620

Well, I guess it's on my end then.

Such bullshit. Either jaggies or blurr. Gaugh.

JetBlackPanda said:

thanks!
I'd say around 10 hours, also you can carry over your upgrades to a new game so there's definately incentive to go back.

Yes I bought it only for the SP and am very happy with it.

(360 owner here, it's one of the best looking games on the system too.)

Lingitiz

JetBlackPanda said:

thanks!
Took me about 9 hrs on normal to beat. There are alot of reasons to jump back into the campaign though. I'd say its worth it without mp although you should still give it a chance.

360 version looks really great. That being said, the frame rate drops occasionally but its not too distracting. One of the best looking 360 games for sure.

JB1981 said:
The framerate on 360 just gets better as the game goes along. By far the best looking game I've ever seen on consoles. Just absolutely mind-blowing what the engine is doing, and all at a good framerate with an insane amount advanced tech and effects. The gameplay and level design is equally awesome.

Yeah definitely makes me excited for kingdoms whenever that comes out. I'm sure its gonna blow minds graphically.

JB1981

The framerate on 360 just gets better as the game goes along. By far the best looking game I've ever seen on consoles. Just absolutely mind-blowing what the engine is doing, and all at a good framerate with an insane amount advanced tech and effects. The gameplay and level design is equally awesome.

I apologize if this story has already been linked: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/29/crysis-2-technical-analysis/

You want outrageous hyperbole? How about this: "...the PC version of the game is crippled to the point where it’s literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick."

Again -- "Literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick."

Ridiculous. The 'proof' is humorous, as it states, "At first glance the textures in Crysis 2 may look improved, with the appearance of more detail, and a slightly more realistic look. Certainly if you were only to run past them that may be the impression you’re left with...."

Ummm... that's pretty much how you're supposed to look at things in a game.

All I know is, whatever the development shortcuts taken or the artificial constraints placed on the PC version due to the console versions, the game looks incredible to my eyes. Technical 'cheats', less detailed textures, etc. it still looks better than Crysis 1 to me and it performs much, much better on my system.

Honestly, Crysis 2 is probably going to ruin me for other games considering just how good it looks and runs.

Now as for the actual game -- I'm liking it but I honestly found Crysis more enjoyable due to the mission structure and feel, not because of the graphics. At least the first half of Crysis. Crysis 2 thus far is better than the second half of Crysis.

Anyway, I just had to post a link because of the laughable, irresponsible manner in which the author presented his arguments, which gets in the way of what are likely some good points.

BeeDog said:
- Generally lousy voice acting and script. The VA that was used for Gould was TERRIBLE, and so was Prophet this time around (I don't recall him sounding so idiotic in Crysis 1). Some exceptions can of course be found: Hargreave was well-voiced, though I also find the script for him crappy.

c'mon, man!

Always-honest said:
it's great, but the a.i. is really turning me off sometimes. It feels last gen sometimes (the a.i...)
Yeah the AI is not the smartest, I'll give you that.

Also I liked Gould's voice, him and Hargreave were both pretty cool to 'talk to.'

EatChildren

The Nature Roy said:
Anyway, I just had to post a link because of the laughable, irresponsible manner in which the author presented his arguments, which gets in the way of what are likely some good points.

...did you actually read the article?

The Nature Roy said:
I apologize if this story has already been linked: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/29/crysis-2-technical-analysis/

You want outrageous hyperbole? How about this: "...the PC version of the game is crippled to the point where it’s literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick."

Ridiculous. The 'proof' is humorous, as it states, "At first glance the textures in Crysis 2 may look improved, with the appearance of more detail, and a slightly more realistic look. Certainly if you were only to run past them that may be the impression you’re left with...."

All I know is, whatever the development shortcuts taken or the artificial constraints placed on the PC version due to the console versions, the game looks incredible to my eyes. Technical 'cheats', less detailed textures, etc. it still looks better than Crysis 1 to me and it performs much, much better on my system.

Honestly, Crysis 2 is probably going to ruin me for other games considering just how good it looks and runs.

Now as for the actual game -- I'm liking it but I honestly found Crysis more enjoyable due to the mission structure and feel, not because of the graphics. At least the first half of Crysis. Crysis 2 thus far is better than the second half of Crysis.

WOW...

WOW

Nizz

JB1981 said:
It's similar on PS3 too. The farther along the game gets, the more the framerate seems to hold together better. Man, I really like this game. I've gone through the campaign twice on Soldier and started a third run on Veteran. :)

This is one of those games when I'm not playing it, I'm still thinking about it. Level design is great. Playthroughs have gone so differently for me. At the last level in my first playthrough I pretty much went Rambo and took on all the aliens. On my second playthrough didn't fire a gun once.

I don't think I've enjoyed an FPS campaign like this in a long time. I think the setting/theme was a nice change of pace for me. Usually I play military based shooters like Bad Company or COD but a sci-fi themed FPS game I haven't played since Singularity.

I'm really enjoying Crysis 2 though.

The Nature Roy said:

*GALACTIC FACEPALM*

The Nature Roy said:

Dude, look at those close-up texture comparisons, Crysis 2 is a disgrace...
:lol

The Nature Roy said:

dude, it was a joke....

Don´t agree one bit with people saying Crysis 1 AI was much better. They both comparable.

AI bugs appear more frequently in Crysis 2 not because of worse AI, it has to do with enviroments being more complex to navigate. AI in part 2 tends to use the cover better. There are some new rutines like blind fire, they also detect downed soldiers, dont recall they did that in the first game.

Of course people had the right to expect a lot more from the AI in the sequel and not just some minor tweaks, after a lapsus of almost 4 years .

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
AllIsOneIsNone said:

Dude. Emergencies only. We've been through this.

Anyway, just echoing what's already been said. Crysis 2 looks phenomenal. I do miss being perched high above a KPA camp with only verdant jungle between me their surgically executed demise, but New York and the subsequent impact of the invasion is so well realized that it's tough to lodge anything close to a formal complaint.

EatChildren

Refreshment.01 said:
Don´t agree one bit with people saying Crysis 1 AI was much better. They both comparable.

AI bugs appear more frequently in Crysis 2 not because of worse AI, it has to do with enviroments being more complex to navigate. AI in part 2 tends to use the cover better. There are some new rutines like blind fire, they also detect downed soldiers, dont recall they did that in the first game.

Of course people had the right to expect a lot more from the AI in the sequel and not just some minor tweaks, after a lapsus of almost 4 years .

Some of the bugs dont really have anything to do with navigation though. Like I said earlier in the thread, I was sniping entire areas of aliens and none of them were responding in any way. Often they'd continue just wandering around, or standing still, despite taking a round to the chest. Nearby aliens wouldn't respond to recently killed ones, nor my gunfire.

I dont think the navigation issues would be so much of a problem if the AI at least did something, even if that something was to fire in your direction.

On that note, I also had enemies spot me through terrain and walls. The tracer perk gave that away.

bhlaab

EatChildren said:

I doubt even the smallest Crysis 1 level is as small as the largest Crysis 2 stage. The "sandbox -> corridor -> sandbox -> corridor" structure betrays it a bit. Crysis 1 had little mini-STALKER levels, really.

If you had said Warhead I'd be more inclined to agree, but I still probably wouldn't.

Zeliard

Man, what is wrong with some of you?

That RPS piece is so blatantly a joke that John Walker would have had to write "THIS IS A JOKE" in the title to make it any more obvious.

Mr. Sam

Received the 360 version from Amazon yesterday, played about 40 minutes worth when I got in today. So far, I'm very impressed. Nothing short of-- well, gorgeous may be overstating it; although, at the very least, I'd classify it as "really pretty." Though the game hasn't quite got into full flow yet, I get the sense that I'll only be awarded with more and more freedom to play about in as the game goes on. Standing next to a propane tank and the suit suddenly going, "Hang on, let me just explain maximum armour to you!" got on my nerves a bit.

Tomorrow, I'll renew my Live description and jump into the online. I enjoyed myself - and was pretty effective - on both the 360 and PS3 versions of the multiplayer demo, simply by possessing a basic knowledge of how to use the controls. I wonder if that'll keep up.

Top Bottom