• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah no shit, I just pumped up my card/case fans and took the side off, haha.

First game I've played with this card so I mayyy have identified a problem it has with my airflow!

Still, though, I found it quite funny - Crysis 2 is crippling my PC, just like the original! >_>
It's not case airflow. AMD just lets their cards cook themselves while the fan idles. Afterburner will let you customize the fan settings.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
So uh, does anyone know what the gauss attachment does in MP? What it does for me is shoot out an indicator to give dudes a heads up that i'm behind them so they can turn around and shoot me before i can switch back to primary fire. I thought it would drain suit energy so you could melee once and kill them but i can't tell.

Tom Penny

When guns have a grenade attachment how do you choose that and shoot grenades and such? I know how to select different weapon options but I don't get that one. Maybe I don't have grenades?

Sethos

Banned
Tom Penny said:
When guns have a grenade attachment how do you choose that and shoot grenades and such? I know how to select different weapon options but I don't get that one. Maybe I don't have grenades?

Press the button where you'd selection the weapon you have, then it switches to the alternative fire mode. Press the same button again to switch back.

jackdoe

ToyMachine228 said:
So I just read the Crysis and Crysis 2 wiki's and apparently...
Alkatraz and Prophet merge at the end of the game?
Uhhh, yeah...
They telegraph that by the mission briefing loading screens near the end so it didn't come from nowhere.

Right so I'm quite a few chapters in now.

+ The areas are a lot bigger than I expected. Moreso than that, I feel they have done a good job of encouraging different approaches.
+ I thought the city would lack the spectacular vistas of the first game but there really are some incredible sights.
- I miss quick saving. It encouraged experimentation and the checkpoints can be spread out too far.
- I also miss picking up ammo etc. It feels slightly less immersive just running over guns and when you get ammo from a crate nothing happens. I loved in the original Crysis bending down in a frantic firefight to quickly grab ammo (even if grabbing a whole gun wasn't completely realistic, I know, but it still felt cool!)

The two minus' are quite small things really, though. I am starting to really enjoy it.

grendelrt

DennisK4 said:
What issue specifically? The flickering that happens if you use CF together with MSAA?

Because CF works just fine for me as long as I don't use MSAA.

I am currently using MSAA so I have CF disabled. Would be great if I could use the second GPU!

Flickering happens for a lot of people no matter what they have enabled, ive tried god knows how many things. Maybe it will fix your MSAA issue as well though =)

Arnie

Just finished it, thought it was an absolutely fantastic game, with shit storytelling. It's funny because the script writer for this game took a dump on Halo's storytelling during development, and despite Reach not having the best story ever, it was still leaps and bounds better than Crysis 2 in that regard.

This is up there with the best games of the generation for me in terms of Singleplayer. So much freedom and choice, it's one of those games where I know I'll replay it and have just as good a time as I did initially. If I were to have one major complaint it would be the bugs, this game is littered with them, but they aren't big enough to affect my enjoyment of the game too much.

And there's no debate whatsoever, this is the best looking game on consoles, especially considering the level design and AI. I can't believe there's any discussion on this really. I've played KZ2&3, UC2 and GOW3 and they just can't match Crysis 2 as a technical achievement.

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Arnie said:
Just finished it, thought it was an absolutely fantastic game, with shit storytelling. It's funny because the script writer for this game took a dump on Halo's storytelling during development, and despite Reach not having the best story ever, it was still leaps and bounds better than Crysis 2 in that regard.

I thought he specifically went after Modern Warfare 2? He may have gone after Reach too, I dunno. Crysis 2's story was dumb, but fine for an action game to keep you moving thru the action set pieces. Seemed like Hargreave was the only interesting character in the game.

Dennis

Banned
What do you know, the aliens are actually OK enemies in this game.

There is a first time for everything, eh CryTek?

Love that litte bit upgrade/RPG they put in the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DennisK4 said:

Once you get into the stretches where you fight a lot of Ceph then go back to fighting CELL guys the game just seems unfair. If you buy the right suit upgrades you feel like a god against humans.

Also, I feel like a complete idiot for only just realizing why the aliens are called Ceph.

jett

D-Member
DennisK4 said:

CryTek learned! Fighting the aliens gets more awesome later.

Cuban Legend said:
that fight couldn't have been on the hardest difficulty, you would have been shot full of holes and wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds after he spotted you.

damn it how lower difficulties make AI seem so much dumber.
It was actually on Veteran, the second highest diff. I think he was too busy with the marine to notice me lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Arnie said:
I've played KZ2&3, UC2 and GOW3 and they just can't match Crysis 2 as a technical achievement.

And as have I and I just don't get this, I finished C2 this morning and although under the hood it may have the technical bullets points to top trump other games out there but visually speaking it doesn't come close to either of those games you've mentioned, especially UC2 for texture quality which is arguably one of the most important visual components of a game, and even KZ3 imo looks much better graphically, a much cleaner looking game with better animation and modelling, the only thing that really impressed me in C2 graphically was the shadows, I just wish I could see what everybody else is seeing that is so apparently so impressive, granted I am talking about the console versions, on the PC in high with temporal AA disabled and blur disabled then yeah it starts to to turn my head.

jett

D-Member
lowrider007 said:
And as have I and I just don't get this, I finished C2 this morning and although under the hood it may have the technical bullets points to top trump other games out there but visually speaking it doesn't come close to either of those games you've mentioned, especially UC2 for texture quality which is arguably one of the most important visual components of a game, and even KZ3 imo looks much better graphically, a much cleaner looking game with better animation and modelling, the only thing that really impressed me in C2 graphically was the shadows, I just wish I could see what everybody else is seeing that is so apparently so impressive, granted I am talking about the console versions, on the PC in high with temporal AA disabled and blur disabled then yeah it starts to to turn my head.

IMO Crysis 2 completely and utterly violates KZ3, especially considering the frankly horrible level design of that game.

I played C2 on PC, but from what I've seen the overall visual quality is really similar between all platforms. Image quality is the only place where KZ3 has the edge. If C2 ran at 720p and at a stable 30fps on the PS360 it'd be complete annihilation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:
IMO Crysis 2 completely and utterly violates KZ3, especially considering the frankly horrible level design of that game.
Yeah, I liked KZ3 but Crysis 2 is a much better game. KZ3 was solid but Crysis 2 is one of my favorite FPS ever.

lowrider007

jett said:

I was speaking graphically/visually, I enjoyed the hell out the C2 in terms of game-play, I'm not saying KZ3 is the better game, but it does look more impressive to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
lowrider007 said:
I speaking graphically/visually, I enjoyed the hell out the game in terms of game-play.
Even on PS3 I didn't think it was as much of a gap between Crysis 2 and KZ3 like I expected. Of course, I'm a sucker for good motion blur and DoF, which Crysis 2 does a lot better than KZ3.

lowrider007

RoboPlato said:
Even on PS3 I didn't think it was as much of a gap between Crysis 2 and KZ3 like I expected. Of course, I'm a sucker for good motion blur and DoF, which Crysis 2 does a lot better than KZ3.

What type of motion blur tech does C2 use?, is it proper object blurring?, I loved the motion blur effect in the original PC Crysis but it doesn't look the same in C2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jackdoe said:
The AI was shit. There's no debate about that.
Even I won't defend the AI in this game.

lowrider007 said:
What type of motion blur tech does C2 use?, is it proper object blurring?, I loved the motion blur effect in the original PC Crysis but it doesn't look the same in C2.
I know it's per-object but I think it is a bit of a different method. Not sure of the specifics.

jett

D-Member
lowrider007 said:
I was speaking graphically/visually, I enjoyed the hell out the C2 in terms of game-play, I'm not saying KZ3 is the better game, but it does look more impressive to me.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I find C2 more technically impressive and artistically appealing. The nighttime levels are just too pretty. Levels in general are much more open compared to the narrow corridors of KZ3 too.

And I freaking love the bokeh depth of field used in Crysis 2.

Erebus

The config in the OP gives me a slightly higher fps than the one I made with the advanced config tool even though I used the same settings. :/

lowrider007

I guess maybe I just prefer cleaner looking games, the temporal AA probably doesn't help and then there's that weird interference filter thing or whatever it is going on, that is very strange, still not sure whether that is intended or not or just a by product of the engine, anyway like I said I really enjoyed the game I guess that what's important, just wish the AI was a bit better.

Nekrono

He needs to have his eyes checked, the game does use TAA, it's pretty obvious with the almost no jaggies, vaseline filter and ghosting.

jett

D-Member
Crysis 2 uses some sort of custom shader-based AA, but I think its somewhat similar to TAA. I personally kinda like it, and as the owner of a low-end PC I appreciate it. :p It works well in motion.

Stitch

Gold Member
"Alcatraz over here. Punch it man, let's go"

arnie.png

Stitch said:

This happens in a few other places, it's annoying as hell.

So I unlocked the LE edition bonuses when I got the game and when I start multi-player a red screen shows up saying "You have unlocked level 5, platinum dog tags, camo, w/e else" yet I don't the get unlocks except the digital camo (which doesn't seem to show?). On some screens it says I'm level 5, on the others it says I'm still level 3. And I can't unlock the 5 classes instantly.

Tom Penny

jett said:
I guess it's a matter of opinion. I find C2 more technically impressive and artistically appealing. The nighttime levels are just too pretty. Levels in general are much more open compared to the narrow corridors of KZ3 too.

And I freaking love the bokeh depth of field used in Crysis 2.

Night time levels are great. I could play a whole game with crazy monsters with the darkness and rain etc. The AA or whatever in KZ3 seems alot better. I don't think the MP maps come close to KZ3 graphically.

jackdoe

You know what else is annoying about this game? Infinitely respawning enemies. I thought we were past this nonsense already.
That's why I just stealthed my way through the final level and didn't fight anyone. They may not have been infinite, but it was annoying when you cleared an area of aliens only to have a group of four drop in behind you (and with your checkpoint already 15 minutes old).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's something about this game that just suits the way I play really well. I was able to get through a good portion of the single player without dying (like 5+ chapters in a row) and I'm doing better than I have in a long time in multiplayer.

comrade

RoboPlato said:
Once you get into the stretches where you fight a lot of Ceph then go back to fighting CELL guys the game just seems unfair. If you buy the right suit upgrades you feel like a god against humans.

Also, I feel like a complete idiot for only just realizing why the aliens are called Ceph.
With the nanosuit aren't you supposed to be a God against humans though?

Top Bottom