• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

strata8

Why did this level not make it into the final game :(
byscrinjz1v.jpg

CryptiK

I loved one of the parts in the close to the last level

Where you are in Heardgraves office and you can see all the Nanosuits it was awesome you got to see this extremely bulky one that look like it was put there for the lols over the out cry on how the new suit looked fat and if you looked up on the walls you got to see the heads of the OLD alien scouts it was great

Tart its been rumoured a lot of levels were cut due to the massive amounts of plot holes.

CryptiK said:
For those who have finished the game this is the ending from the Novel;

CHAPTER: ERECTION(no joke thats the chapter name)
The rest, as they say, is history.
The spire vented, of course. That was the whole plan. It went off exactly when it was supposed to, but not before we’d raped its hanging fly ass; and when all that jizz spread out across Manhattan, it was carrying our sperm, not the Ceph’s. The Tunguska Iteration blew those fuckers apart like maggots in a microwave

What in the hell who let the author write this book...

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
NotTarts said:
byscrinjz1v.jpg

That's a shame as that looks like a very nice setting, love the character in the trees, looks very natural, I hope they set the next one an urban town, make it a bit darker and wooded, think Alan wake but bigger sand boxes, that would be epic.

Dennis

Banned
lowrider007 said:
That's a shame as that looks like a very nice setting, love the character in the trees, looks very natural, I hope they set the next one an urban town, make it a bit darker and wooded, think Alan wake but bigger sand boxes, that would be epic.
But rendering all those trees with acceptable performance on the consoles was probably out of the question so they killed it.

strata8

Someone at MyCrysis posted this shot, spoilers maybe:
2011-03-28_00006.jpg

I don't think it's an issue with the consoles. I mean, they work fine with the Lighthouse MP map, and that has plenty of foliage. I remember telling everyone that Crysis 2 wouldn't be so bad because we'd get the whole of central park to explore, hehe. Then I saw that screenshot and was just like 'yup, yup'. I'm guessing it was more of a design problem.

robatw

hi there, i guess someone asked this question before but this thread is huuuuge..

do i need to play crysis 1 to understand crysis 2?

i even bought crysis 1 but my new motherboard doesn't have a ide slot to put on my dvd drive... lolz

mb i should buy crysis 2 and start playing or do i miss out to much by not playing the first one

CryptiK

NotTarts said:
Someone at MyCrysis posted this shot, spoilers maybe:
2011-03-28_00006.jpg

CryptiK said:

The spire vented, of course. That was the whole plan. It went off exactly when it was supposed to, but not before we’d raped its hanging fly ass; and when all that jizz spread out across Manhattan, it was carrying our sperm, not the Ceph’s. The Tunguska Iteration blew those fuckers apart like maggots in a microwave

Robatw Crysis 1 has nothing to do with Crysis 2.

R2D4

Banned
Trying to figure out why the power is still on when every block or building is torn up and 5 feet higher than the next?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Legato.Reborn- said:
Imagine if CryEngine was truly pushed to the limits.. :(

Not for PC sake, but for sheer oh-my-fucking-god graphics sake.
Honestly, part of what makes the visuals here so impressive is the fact that they look as good as they do while holding a rock solid 60 fps. If we were seeing Crysis 1 2007 performance numbers, the visuals impact would have been much less even if it were much more detailed.

Casp0r

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
- I've had to assign stealth + armour to keys because for some reason a lot of the time when I click in the mouse wheel to select them it doesn't want to go to the side for some reason, just up and down. Anyone else had this? I'm used to playing with the powers that way so using keys for it is a bit annoying.
- When you throw guys why do they clip through other enemies? :( Every single time I've done it that has happened. I used to love throwing KPA soldiers at each other in the first game.

Isn't stealth and armor already assigned to 'e' and 'q' keys?

lowrider007

DennisK4 said:
But rendering all those trees with acceptable performance on the consoles was probably out of the question so they killed it.

Maybe, but I'm sure they could do smaller wooded sandbox areas, I'm not talking Crysis size here, can you imagine fighting the aliens in a dark wooded area, think about the lighting effects from the weapons and ammunition as it lights up parts of the forest during a battle, you've got to admit that would look soooo good, perhaps next gen :-(

Foliorum Viridum said:
- When you throw guys why do they clip through other enemies? :( Every single time I've done it that has happened. I used to love throwing KPA soldiers at each other in the first game.

and there's virtually no destructability compared to the first game, but those are the only two things I can really complain about. Pleasant surprise.
Destructability its the same as the other Crysis games. Now whats missing its the ilusion. If you recall the first game, a hut for example, was made of several different props stacked like a castle of cards. The ceiling was composed of several still plates, a granade will cause the plates to move but didnt destroy them.

Start shooting around in Crysis 2 you'll notice, chairs, park benches, tables, plates, glass, monitors, copy machines, microwaves, flowerpots, cars, tires, etc... have similar destruction properties as the first game. After all its the same engine with some improvemets and new features.

The throwing enemies at each other still works. The only alterations to the grabbing enemies mechanic i can think of are: 1) if you press the meele key. In Cryis 1 Nomad hit them with the gun, in 2 Alcatraz executes them. 2) In the first game if you didnt do a power throw the enemy will stand again.

lowrider007 said:
wow I never knew that, that will make my second play through a lot more interesting.

Usually I don't cap a gun with a silencer becuase it takes away that 'ummpth' when your firing, it just doesn't feel as exhilarating but I'll definitely give it a go now.
I'm stunned you played through the entire campaign without knowing that :p

I had a bunch of fun with it in the first 5 chapters. You can get 2 shots off with the Scarab while stealthed and still have some left to get back to cover. You can get 3 shots with the pistol this way. Two shots with the Marshall. This is without the stealth/nano recharge upgrades.

Try it out in Lab Rat. You open the chapter looking down upon a huge area with soldiers stationed at various places. Go one-by-one and take them out with headshots after perfecting your path (who to take out first, when to advance, etc.) while in semi-automatic fire mode if using the Scarab...feels like you're Snake or the Predator.

MickeyKnox said:
Some war photography, re-sized to keep from blowing up the thread with a ton of 1080p images:
What's wrong with 1080p images? If we post 720p shots might as well go all the way and post 1080p ones as well. It's also better because it's not downsampled so it's how the game looks 100%.

Refreshment.01 said:
Destructability its the same as the other Crysis games. Now whats missing its the ilusion. If you recall the first game, a hut for example, was made of several different props stacked like a castle of cards. The ceiling was composed of several still plates, a granade will cause the plates to move but didnt destroy them.

Start shooting around in Crysis 2 you'll notice, chairs, park benches, tables, plates, glass, monitors, copy machines, microwaves, flowerpots, cars, tires, etc... have similar destruction properties as the first game. After all its the same engine with some improvemets and new features.

This is so true. I've read many inaccurate complaints about the destructibility between the two games.

Goddamn sometimes screenshots come out blurry as hell. Is it the fault of temporal-AA, bloom, or a mix of both (I'm running on Extreme, no config tweaks)? Anyway, they can be handy to appreciate the level of goopy mess from a knife kill in this game. Really awesome.

(image links to the photo page on Flickr)

Sh1ner

played some more, soldiers get completely destroyed by my pistol, i just got a silencer and now they just die on the spot. I just got to the first vehicle section and thinking of dumping it to make it harder. Playing on above average difficulty. The aiming feels horrible with rifles compared to the pistol.

Edit: loving the blurring, playing on very high, my fps is in the constant 40s, hardly dips down to 30s. Extreme settings has too much blur for my taste. Also the lag is noticeable.

I can't wait for the release of the mod tools.

Sh1ner said:
played some more, soldiers get completely destroyed by my pistol, i just got a silencer and now they just die on the spot. I just got to the first vehicle section and thinking of dumping it to make it harder. Playing on above average difficulty. The aiming feels horrible with rifles compared to the pistol.
For me the issue with rifles was the recoil. Switching to semi auto helped me out a lot, and helped me with conserving ammo (I guess I was spraying bullets more than I should have been). But yeah pistols are awesome in this game. :)

Heavy said:
That looks like the motion blur. Try to take them without changing direction and moving too much.
In a related note that´s been a hughe mistake people commited with this game, judging it by screen shots, specially in the case of home consoles.

The next one is comparing it to Crysis but with heavily tweaked configurations. Compare it with Crysis withouth the Cvars tweaks and it looks way better.

stuminus3

Finished it last night. Overall I must have enjoyed it, because I don't usually finish games, haha. Surprisingly very long for a modern FPS too, in-game clock says about 12.5 hours, but Steam puts me closer to 16 (!), and I rushed through a couple of sections nearer the end of the game.

There are some things that annoy me that have been mentioned by others (the story is as dumb as shit, especially the revelation about
what Hargreave actually is
, the AI is great when it works but more often than not it doesn't - it was funny the first time I saw a grunt get confused by the (admittedly very complex) geometry of the levels and spin around on the spot in high alert mode, but when it happened for the 50th time...

However, it's quite the spectacle. RPS did a Wot I Think on it and mentioned how much of the game's appeal (even in the face of such a stupid story) comes from watching the utter destruction of Manhattan unfold right in front of you, I completely agree.

I enjoyed it enough to want to play though again, but I think I'll wait for a bit to see if anything actually does come of this DX11 thing. I'm guessing it never will, but I'll hold off anyway while the game is still in my good books.

One thing's for sure - although I wouldn't argue that there were clearly some concessions made for the sake of the console versions, we're a long, long way away from the kind of stupidity that was responsible for something like Deus Ex: Invisible War. I also played through the entire thing on my PC with a 360 controller for some reason, ha. I did the same with Bulletstorm recently. It just felt good. *shrug*

Refreshment.01 said:

The throwing enemies at each other still works. The only alterations to the grabbing enemies mechanic i can think of are: 1) if you press the meele key. In Cryis 1 Nomad hit them with the gun, in 2 Alcatraz executes them. 2) In the first game if you didnt do a power throw the enemy will stand again.
Yeah there's obviously a lot of stuff to interact with the environment, it's by no means static, but seeing a pot here or there get shot is hardly the rush that blowing up an entire hut in Crysis was. I feel like those cafes you can fight in should be able to collapse, etc etc. It just feels less cool.

I'm five hours in now and I've honest to god never hit an enemy by throwing another at them. They just fly right through them. A weird glitch, perhaps?

I just did the section where
you had to infiltrate the alien base before the city was drowned
and these aliens are pretty damn fun to fight. Taking down those fat bastards was a chore and a half until I realised you should cloak and go around the back of them. I still don't like fighting aliens as much as I do humans (in any game) but the AI seems better for the aliens in this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
CryptiK said:

Ahahaha, that's so fucking bad.

Mr. Sam

I think there's something wrong with the Wall Street map in multiplayer. Every time I play it, I get stuck on some invisible wall and then the game freezes. I have turn my 360 off at the mains to escape.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I especially LOVE the red alien eyes that leave a sexy ass red light trail every time they move their heads. I would just go in cloak mode and follow them around, staring in awe lol.

CryptiK said:

This is an elaborate GAF prank, right?

That's not really how the book ends, is it?

CryptiK

Neuromancer said:
This is an elaborate GAF prank, right?

That's not really how the book ends, is it?
Yep sure is well its at the end of the second last chapter the end of the book is like an epilogue thing but thats the main ending JIZZING EVERYWHERE!

NotTarts said:
http://www.abload.de/img/byscrinjz1v.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Probably would have run like shit on the consoles without cutting back on a lot of the foliage and such.

dark10x

OK, so I just realized that I actually finished the game on Post-Human Warrior without actually knowing that I was playing on that difficulty.

I played up to Semper-fi or Die on soldier and then went back and replayed the first five missions on Post-Human for fun. I then simply selected the mission I was on (Semper-fi) and continued from there. Somehow I must not have lowered the difficulty, however, and ended up playing the rest of the game on Post-Human.

It was odd because I noted a massive jump in difficulty from that point on and found the alien segments to be extremely frustrating. They can kill you almost instantly and there are tons of them to fight. Taking out humans on Post-Human isn't difficult with stealth, but the Ceph are a real challenge. It was so much harder that I found them less fun to fight, but I still played all the way to the end like that.

Well, turns out, they really aren't that frustrating on soldier difficulty. :\

lowrider007

iNvidious01 said:
is anyone playing at 2560x1600 extreme? if so what fps you getting

I'm sure DennisK4 said he was getting about 30fps but I not sure what gpu he's got.

I'll tell you what it feels very odd playing other 'regular' fps's after playing through C2, I keep wanting to switch to cloak or armer mode, I feel naked without my suit in other games now lol

dark10x

Iztli said:
After completing the epic that is Crysis 2 :) I installed Crysis and got shocked at how much they simplified the nanosuit. Speed mode/strength mode were totally butchered in Crysis2 since you can no longer do the amazing feats such as this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHv7Laj3JiM&feature=player_detailpage#t=69s

If Crysis 2 had all those features from Crysis it wouldnt just be GOTY...it would be Game of the Century :O :D
While I understand the disappointment, in practice, I actually much prefer the way Crysis 2 handles the suit. There are plenty of things you can do in Crysis 2 that are not possible in the original as well, so it really goes both ways.

Foliorum Viridum said:
...is hardly the rush that blowing up an entire hut in Crysis was. I feel like those cafes you can fight in should be able to collapse, etc etc. It just feels less cool.

I'm five hours in now and I've honest to god never hit an enemy by throwing another at them. They just fly right through them. A weird glitch, perhaps?

... and these aliens are pretty damn fun to fight.
Just remember the huts fit into Cry1 fiction because most of them were quickly mounted camps set by the KPA, so it makes sense to grab what ever they could find to mount this weak structures.

Too bad the throwing isnt working for you, thats one of my favorite mechanics in the game. Regarding the aliens people tend to forget how boring to fight were standar aliens in the first game, at least Crytek leasened to the fan base regarding this. Plus theres a better mix of Human/Alien battles than in Cry1.
Iztli said:
After completing the epic that is Crysis 2 :) I installed Crysis and got shocked at how much they simplified the nanosuit. Speed mode/strength mode were totally butchered in Crysis2 since you can no longer do the amazing feats such as this....
Don't agree with you here. Wouldn´t go as far as said speed is "butchered". Keep in mind the scale of the locales you are traversing has been reduced. So having that god like traversing hability of the first game would´ve cause balancing issues. Maybe Crytek could have integrated a short range dash?

Strength is not "butchered" in reality its better integrated now and used in ways that make sense. Finally, shield has experienced a hughe upgrade as it was infact "butchered" in Crysis1 :)

neoism

anyone try the cheats yet? I type con_restricted 0 but it doesn't work. :( g_infinitesuitengery= 1 doesn't either. :/ Can you put them on the end of the exe or in the systems file?

Dennis

Banned
I recorded the awesome looking
earthquake
with FRAPS - makes an awesome video/GIF. Obviously a spoiler so I won't post it.

So good.

Tacitus_

Refreshment.01 said:

Otherwise I'd agree with you but
1) you have to have energy to sprint in Crysis 2 while in Crysis 1 only the Speed mode sprint took energy
2) doing a power move will deplete your whole energy bar. Crysis 1 had the Strength moves deplete something like 10-20% of your energy bar.

Someone figure out how to get those back and I'll be satisfied with the new suit.

Top Bottom