• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

Tahj

Circling back to the MQ after many hrs of 'real' side quests & some gigs too. I am loving Takemura character!

OZYUS5H.jpg

Loostreaks

CyberPunk is closer to far cry than some complex rpg.

It's a really great far cry game.

It's not much more than that though.

You should actually try playing the game. I like Far Cry, but I don't remember it having different player backgrounds, dialogue system, complex and open ended mission design, narrative choices, stats, skills, perks, or implants, reputation system, npc or environment skill checks.

MadYarpen

I dont understand one thing. I've played for almost 20h, and I don't really get the quest system in this game.

Where do I get all those supposedly great side quests? At the moment I have a lot of contracts in the journal, and in the side guest section there is only some junk like fist fighting.

There was the one with taxi, but other than that, not a lot. I love the writing but if it only is the main story plus contracts then fuck this.

I assume there are some big side quests, but are they only branching from the main story line?

Also, why only one fixer is calling me? That police chick.

It may be that I'm early in the game though
Just collected 15k for Rogue

SamFo

You should actually try playing the game. I like Far Cry, but I don't remember it having different player backgrounds, dialogue system, complex and open ended mission design, narrative choices, stats, skills, perks, or implants, reputation system, npc or environment skill checks.

You may have just made yourself look a smidge silly!

Last edited:

Loostreaks

One ( small) thing I like and I think this game does better is how it integrates background options into dialogue. In other rpgs, they are just hamfisted into narrative, resulting in disjointed dialogue ( where player jumps in between different personalities).
In one scene, V quickly persuaded someone at hotel using his knowledge of how corpo world works.
Then Jackie responded with "what the hell was that", and V explained to him you always have to be commanding to any subordinates, or they'll see you as being weak.
You may have just made yourself look a smidge silly!
Far Cry games have pretty basic perk/leveling system and some very light narrative options at the end: they are really action games with light rpg elements. Cyberpunk is closer to VTMB or New Vegas, with voiced protagonist/less dialogue options, but more immersive sim elements and playstyle options.

Last edited:

SamFo

I dont understand one thing. I've played for almost 20h, and I don't really get the quest system in this game.

Where do I get all those supposedly great side quests? At the moment I have a lot of contracts in the journal, and in the side guest section there is only some junk like fist fighting.

There was the one with taxi, but other than that, not a lot. I love the writing but if it only is the main story plus contracts then fuck this.

I assume there are some big side quests, but are they only branching from the main story line?

Yeah I'm kind of the same. I was doing the gigs for a while and they just feel like procedurally generated.

The Side Jobs are slightly better, but are hit and miss? Most of the time I arrive at a side job destination. - get a phone call where someone tells me "I heard there's a cyberpsycho there - can you check it out" and then I defeat the cyberpsycho. (or equivalent)

There was a kinda cool one with some monks? But I haven't really had any of those Witcher 3 style ones, where it feels like a self contained story.

The main quests definitely have a higher level of production to them than the side jobs (so far)

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So, I stored all of my items in my car's trunk before The Heist. I just opened the trunk after the mission, and everything is gone. Are you supposed to lose everything after that one?

You don't actually store things in the trunk. When you put something in the trunk it warps the stuff to your "stash" which is at your apartment.

Kinda nice to have some reason to go back I guess. Seems underused.

I think I might just slam it on easy and plow through the main story to wait for the next-gen upgrade. It's good, but so many weird glitches and there is a general washed-out look to it... the move from COD to this was fucking jarring. The strengths and weaknesses pretty much are in balance. (XSX)

Last edited:
tut tut tut I can't enjoy this OT without a huge arse preachy pile of bullshit sticked on every page :-( , Anywhoo I finally finished Cyberpunk 2077 (not gonna mention any spoilers). So now I can get back to my life again or start a nomad playthrough ............... hm

Anyway not sure if anyone has seen this put will post it up

This is a video Kurzgesagt did to commemorate the release of Cyberpunk 2077. Apparently they have been sitting on this video for quite a while. Anyway well worth a watch if you got 10 mins to spare

Krisprolls

Banned
Despite its flaws, the game is really great because the story, the writing and the characters are very good. The main quest is stellar. There aren't many games with a story and dialogues like that. It really hits home I think.

It made me forget a bit all the huge flaws of the open world part... It feels the game shines a lot more when you don't do the basic side quests and focus on the main path.

Last edited:

Sakura

The most important side quests require you to proceed through the main story somewhat. For example, you cannot do side quests involving Panam, when you have not met her yet.
Some other quests I think you actually have to discover them.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hacking seems extremely powerful. I’m early, should I invest in intelligence? Before this I’m mostly a gun-centric monster but I’ve seen the light with limited hacking I’ve done.

or is it not necessary to put a lot into intelligence? I’m guessing most of the success has to do with your cyber deck and mods/quick hacks

tut tut tut I can't enjoy this OT without a huge arse preachy pile of bullshit sticked on every page :-( , Anywhoo I finally finished Cyberpunk 2077 (not gonna mention any spoilers). So now I can get back to my life again or start a nomad playthrough ............... hm

Anyway not sure if anyone has seen this put will post it up

This is a video Kurzgesagt did to commemorate the release of Cyberpunk 2077. Apparently they have been sitting on this video for quite a while. Anyway well worth a watch if you got 10 mins to spare

That was a really interesting video - thanks for sharing!

Shouta

Yeah I'm kind of the same. I was doing the gigs for a while and they just feel like procedurally generated.

The Side Jobs are slightly better, but are hit and miss? Most of the time I arrive at a side job destination. - get a phone call where someone tells me "I heard there's a cyberpsycho there - can you check it out" and then I defeat the cyberpsycho. (or equivalent)

There was a kinda cool one with some monks? But I haven't really had any of those Witcher 3 style ones, where it feels like a self contained story.

The main quests definitely have a higher level of production to them than the side jobs (so far)

Definitely progress into the story a bit and you'll naturally run into characters that have bigger quest lines. Early ones like the cyberpsychos are world fillers mostly.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I think this game has made me appreciate the details Bethesda puts into their item designs. I'd never really noticed or thought about this before.

In Skyrim or Fallout, the rare, sought-after items - Skill Books, rare weapons, expensive shit - are immediately recognizable. You're in a dungeon, and you see a skill book, you automatically know what it is, are happy you found it, and you get a little dopamine rush, and this is often true even during combat. You bet your ass even if 5 level 50 Talon Company mercs are lighting me up, I'm going to grab that skill book on my way out the door.

But in Cyberpunk a combination of the items being designed generically coupled with the actual pickup message disappearing quickly often leave me completely unaware of what I picked up until I get to a safe place and start going through my inventory.

Ultimately I think this is why I'm finding the loot game to be a tad soulless in Cyberpunk. It's still fun. It still scratches the itch, but it gave me a new appreciation for Bethesda's design work.

Game isn't bad. Just finished it at level 37. Got "The Star" ending. Gonna take a break now since I feel burnt out from attempting, but not finishing, a 100% run and can't be bother for the other 3 endings right now due to missing a certain criteria for one.

And major tip, for one of Takemura's missions, (has info about one of the endings) search around so you can save him or you won't get the achievement for The Devil ending.

Cold Blood makes Cool seem like a must have if you just want to one shot everything's. Went with max Intelligence and Cool, halfway into reflexes as I found quickhacking in the back to be so effective in damage once you get the crit perk for it, stacked on top of the Stealth perks for Poison for additional damage.

Hacking seems extremely powerful. I’m early, should I invest in intelligence? Before this I’m mostly a gun-centric monster but I’ve seen the light with limited hacking I’ve done.

or is it not necessary to put a lot into intelligence? I’m guessing most of the success has to do with your cyber deck and mods/quick hacks
Quickhack, paired with enabling it to crit perk, has to be most breeze-thru way to play the game. I would sit in the back and one-shot folks and even managed to fight against 5-levels higher leveled 39 enemies along with some feathering them around. Mind you, I went with Cool so they hurt even more.

Getting the one perk to get quickhacks from Access Points in the breach protocol tree got me all my legendary quickhacks.

In terms of killing things before they have a chance to blink, Quickhacks are the way to go. A ripperdoc in Pacifica has a legendary cyberdeck that will allow any combat mod to spread, so not just Contagion.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
People saying "I experience no bugs, my game works perfect," I am sorry but I flat out don't believe you. I think you're lying.

I love the game, it's the best looking game I have played on PC by far, but the bugs are starting to just kill the immersion too often for me. Might need a break for awhile while it cooks longer.

They probably mean game breaking bugs

Moogle11

Banned
Finished up the Delamain quests, did some random gigs and a couple races then met Panam and got started on those story quests (got late so didn’t finish them). She’s hot AF.

Loving this game and still haven’t had a crash or more than minor bugs on XSX at 20+ hours.

Last edited:

UncleMeat

Playing with the Sandevistan operating system I got from Vik which gives me bullet time for 16 seconds! It's like a totally different game. You do lose your ability to hack tho but this stacked with my handgun upgrades - I'm just John Wicking through the game now. Crazy.

2AdEPT

OK I found a legit gripe. From me. Defender of all things CP2077.

V is a manlet. I'm 6'5 IRL and have noticed that V looks up to everyone. I have to estimate he must be 5'4 based on conversations I have. Fucking hell I look up to Judy. This is the most glaring problem I'm having 25 hrs in. Give us height options PLZ modders.

No one has a power fantasy as role playing a Cyberpunk manlet.
I honestly think the game works better with a female V character. I follow a few channels after I did the prologue and when they did the exact same story it just didnt sound right with a male V after I did female. its not just the height thing...its the whole persnality and friendship with Jackie....everything is better with a female character. This becomes even more glaring when Jonhy joins the mix. For those that care about the "story" I strongly suggest a female V.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I can't get over how packed this world is. I spent some time driving around to all the shops and picking stuff out and there are many weird little out of the way areas and little details. You miss that driving past the big landmarks over and over.

This city absolutely dwarfs Los Santos or anything else like it, really.

I'm 25 hours in, About to start main quest where it warns you that you can't return to do side quests. I regret putting 13 points into Intelligence, I haven't seen anywhere where having 13 points into it would benefit me. I think I would have been better off putting atleast 10 into Body and 10 into Tech(?). I want to 100% this game but still have no idea if I need to start another save.

teezzy

Banned

I have way more fun just lighting people up with bullets. Call me a savage.

I'll divide the side quests, or Gigs, into two.

1) Open World Checkmarker Gigs:

So you have one type of Gig that can be found littering the entire map, and a lot of them are run of the mill side content.

BUT. There are a number of them that actually have some really interesting twins and turns into the story depending on how you play.

Heres the thing, its actually really important to read - or just skim - the notes dropped by key NPC you kill, or the computers found in their vicinity.

More than one occasion I've taken a run of the mill side quest and because I checked the computers and found a hidden file, the end of the side quest ended much differently and with more money rewards.

2) Street Cred Dependent Gigs:

The higher your street cred, the more into the story and met with certain new characters, the more you receive these more well tailored side quests that lead you on some wild sequences in the game.

Some of the best, and exciting, missions are found in these ones.

Simply put it, you need to keep playing and raise your street cred and overtime more and more of these are unlocked.

And even though they're separate stories on their own, they actually do have a role in how your main story plays out.

Hope that helps?

2AdEPT

Is there anyway of knowing how far through the game you are ?
There are three blogs on your screen when you start the game...or maybe they are always there somewhere in the inventory tree?? I dont care yet as it told me I was 1% in and just noticed them last night for the first time after 10 hours or so ? 1 blog is speficially to do with johnny so I gather that each blog is for each act? 1,2,3?

Doing a net runner run for my first play through and it is supremely OP.

I'm at 20 intelligence and almost maxed out my skill trees and uh, let me say that I literally can sit outside an enemy base - in my car - hack into a camera and basically use "Short Circuit" and "Synapse Burnout" over and over and kill everyone without even lifting a finger.

It's fun if you're the kind that can get into the idea of roleplaying as some crazy hacker that can kill anyone from wheres hes sitting.

But I wont lie that sometimes I miss being in a firefight.

Buuuuuuuuuut when I do, I just weapon glitch everyone and turn every turret into friendly and just walk in there to finish the job myself.

Again, it's all about how you turn lemons into lemonade.

s-bojan

Banned
I'm 25 hours in, About to start main quest where it warns you that you can't return to do side quests. I regret putting 13 points into Intelligence, I haven't seen anywhere where having 13 points into it would benefit me. I think I would have been better off putting atleast 10 into Body and 10 into Tech(?). I want to 100% this game but still have no idea if I need to start another save.

I have to be the worst player ever as I've played 40 hours and I don't see me finishing the game in the next 20.
Did you play side missions at all?

I've just looked at hltb and cannot believe people are finishing the game in 20 hours.

zkorejo

There is a mod or something that can allow you to respec. But it's quite expensive. Look it up.

Last edited:
We really need a spoiler thread for this game.

I wanna talk about one of the most fucked up things I have ever done in a video game. Which was: The mission where you crucify that dude. Like literally grab 3 nails and a hammer and go to work. It seems super out of place with the rest of the game.

I have to be the worst player ever as I've played 40 hours and I don't see me finishing the game in the next 20.
Did you play side missions at all?

I've just looked at hltb and cannot believe people are finishing the game in 20 hours.

Its not finishing the game. The game is intentionally designed to be played multiple times.

It is not possible to 100% this game with 1 character. Because the max level is 50 and there are only a limited number of attributes to spend.

Its a different approach from other open world games. But once you realize this 100% completion is not possible, you will just want to finish at least one path in the main story before digging into some fraction of the side content. Then start a new game/character.

Last edited:
The one decision in this game I really don't get is why they have fixers trying to sell you cars. It gets annoying, it makes the fixers look pretty small-time trying to shift their buddies dung heaps, and worst of all, it has the same icon on the map as the sidequests. At least give them a unique car icon.

shubik

CDPR really outdid itself with the quest design and variety. I fucking love the sidequests. So many great stories over such a broad scale of topics. You really can get lost in the city just doing the yellow markers and have the best time.

Yesterday I found a smart gun with an AI called Skippy. This thing always aims for headshots and sometimes even makes comments. This thing is fun!

Finished the story last night here with about 55 hours played and looking at achievements seeing if there was any side quests similar to Panam, Judy and River i missed.

And there seems to be a few things i missed a few still. Not sure if i will finish em soon or wait for when i replay it with Next Gen upgrade. Namely i missed the story achievements called: Temperence, The sun, bushido and chill, the star, the devil

Top Bottom