• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

I think so too.

The saber calling out to her, Leia is Luke's sister...

How she's into ships, piloting...
So explain why neither Han nor Leia at some point acknowledged this. Like, what possible reason would they have to keep silent about something like that to her? And if Rey was Han and Leia's daughter, why weren't they more distraught when she was taken by the First Order?

And don't say "but Leia hugging her was proof" because even JJ Abrams agreed that that scene was a mistake and that should've been Chewie.

jelly

Luke was more shook about seeing his dad's lightsaber for the first time since his fight with Vader at the end of empire

20-30 years since that fight would make anyone shook

They better explain that first or in the first hour because I want answers

That's the worst thing about the end of Force Awakens. We might not see what happens after the end scene.

CloudWolf

That's the worst thing about the end of Force Awakens. We might not see what happens after the end scene.
It was actually confirmed that Episode VIII will be the first Star Wars movie that picks up immediately after the end of the last one. The opening crawl is going to be amazing.

STAR WARS EPISODE VIII

Nothing happened. LUKE SKYWALKER is staring at REY, FINN is still recovering from his coma...

Lebron

I think so too.

The saber calling out to her, Leia is Luke's sister...

How she's into ships, piloting...

None of the canon books hinted at any of that. Han/Leia had a terrible marriage with Han being Han and Leia being political, which is why Ben was so salty and eventually fell. There's no secret 2nd kid.

spekkeh

Banned
It was obvious in the film that it was Luke, like there are about thirty references where she mimics something Luke did in the OT. It always appeared to me any other fan theory was just because it was too obvious and so it couldn't be Luke.

So if she's genuine that she thought it was obvious, then it has to be Luke.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
She's obviously Luke's daughter. Why else would she have that vision when she touched the lightsaber?

Kagutaba

Realistically though, her parents being of no consequence is completely supported by those statements, and it's entirely possible VIII is simply more explicit. Other than that the only other scenarios that line up are her being a Skywalker and/or Solo, so anyone trying to read super deep and say Obi-Wan or someone random because [lengthy list of forced comparisons] or [over-reading of random reference/cameo/Easter egg] or [tenuous connection] is going way off mark.

then again Bernard was a host so what the fuck to I know

Fuck

- no one click that if they don't want to read a major spoiler for Westworld.

Castef

Banned
Doesn't really fit the timeline though, assuming that all the Rogue One characters die in the film which seems like the most plausible scenario.

Actually, i think they will keep some of the characters. It would be very nice to see them in episode VIII, like "Ok, while you did this and that, we were doing this and that and here are the results. Booya!".

jett

D-Member
How is it convoluted? Obi had sex some time in those years he spent on tatooine. Whatever child, male or female, was born that way is one of Rey's parents.

okay

So Obi Wan would just break his vows, becuz.
And how convenient that Luke found her. I guess Ghost Kenobi told him "yo luke I banged this gurrl 30+ years ago, knocked her up, and bailed out on her because I'm just that kinda guy. Surely by now someone banged my bastard, knocked her up and you can figure out the rest! Pls fetch my grandbastard and teach her the ways of the force, peace."

If she is a Skywalker or Solo, those people are the worst parents ever. "Let me just drop you on this crap planet and forget about you." At least with Luke and Leia it made a little sense, but here...

jelly

If she is a Skywalker or Solo, those people are the worst parents ever. "Let me just drop you on this crap planet and forget about you." At least with Luke and Leia it made a little sense, but here...

Pull up your bootstraps Rey just like I did.

Now we know what Han Solo and the rathtars got up to on that ship .

latest

Number_6

okay

So Obi Wan would just break his vows, becuz.
And how convenient that Luke found her. I guess Ghost Kenobi told him "yo luke I banged this gurrl 30+ years ago, knocked her up, and bailed out on her because I'm just that kinda guy. Surely by now someone banged my bastard, knocked her up and you can figure out the rest! Pls fetch my grandbastard and teach her the ways of the force, peace."

First, Obi Wan's vows, the whole Jedi doctrine, was closed-minded and backwards. The Jedi of Obi Wan's time were stupid, and they all got killed for it. I said this on the previous page, but if they'd allowed for family and love, then maybe Anakin would have actually been emotionally prepared to handle Padme's death, and then not pledged himself to a maniac and gone on a killing spree like the tragic idiot he turned out to be.

Is it so far fetched that Obi Wan might possibly, in 20 years of exile, realize the error of some of the Jedi ways and allowed himself to love someone? Especially since he'd be communicating with Qui Gon, who was a bit radical for a Jedi anyway.

Second, Luke didn't find her. Luke sat around doing nothing. Rey found him.

jett

D-Member
First, Obi Wan's vows, the whole Jedi doctrine, was closed-minded and backwards. The Jedi of Obi Wan's time were stupid, and they all got killed for it. I said this on the previous page, but if they'd allowed for family and love, then maybe Anakin would have actually been emotionally prepared to handle Padme's death, and then not pledged himself to a maniac and gone on a killing spree like the tragic idiot he turned out to be.

Is it so far fetched that Obi Wan might possibly, in 20 years of exile, realize the error of some of the Jedi ways and allowed himself to love someone? Especially since he'd be communicating with Qui Gon, who was a bit radical for a Jedi anyway.

Second, Luke didn't find her. Luke sat around doing nothing. Rey found him.

Based on actual film content, I do find this whole situation far-fetched. We're not even talking about her daughter, it would be her granddaughter.

As for your last sentence, based on what miserable crumbs of information we have in TFA, it seems like Luke trained her or knew her when she was young? Maybe? That where I was getting at.

I knew you would post that.

Seems like they are now using these shitty Cartoon Characters in their movies :)

And yes, its officially confirmed that these two guys are the same persons.

Yep Clone Wars/Rebels is 100% canon to the new movies. I do think it's possible Obi Wan is her grandfather.

jett

D-Member
I knew you would post that.

Seems like they are now using these shitty Cartoon Characters in their movies :)

Like I said, sure. I defer to the expanded Star Wars canon, which will surely become just as broken as the old EU.

In all seriousness, I don't care for retconning in general, but I guess that's what they'll be doing with Obi-Wan if he somehow turns out to be related to Rey.

Number_6

Like I said, sure. I defer to the expanded Star Wars canon, which will surely become just as broken as the old EU.

In all seriousness, I don't care for retconning in general, but I guess that's what they'll be doing with Obi-Wan if he somehow turns out to be related to Rey.

How is it retconning? There's no "con" to "ret". There's a 20-year blank space. On the contrary, Obi-Wan has already been known to have committed one or two acts of "indiscretion" which are actually pretty fucking normal if you are anyone but a damned emotionally stunted tight-assed prequel Jedi.

An analogy:

If a tree falls down and no one hears it or sees it, did it happen?
If an Obi-Wan has sex, and no audience member hears or sees it, did it happen?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Even with only the Prequel material it makes just sense that since Obi Wan was Qui Gons Padawan he had been taught a more liberal way to live with the force.
He even seemed to knew about Anakin and Padme and didnt said anything.

Well, Ewan McGregor recorded dialog for Force Awakens, and he - and Alec Guinness! - say a few things at one point, which certainly sounds like Obi Wan is her father, but could just mean that Obi trained her at one point. Or could just be nothing.

Ushojax

The simplest and most logical explanation based on TFA is that Rey is Luke's daughter. Why else would her abandonment on Jakku be part of Luke's ghostly showreel when she touched the lightsaber? There might not be much exposition within the movie but there are so many visual cues, Han, Luke, Leia and Chewie all give Rey these strangely knowing looks at various points in the movie, like they either know she is his daughter or they strongly suspect it. Combined with the obvious symmetry in their personalities I don't see any other conclusion.

Well, Ewan McGregor recorded dialog for Force Awakens, and he - and Alec Guinness! - say a few things at one point, which certainly sounds like Obi Wan is her father, but could just mean that Obi trained her at one point. Or could just be nothing.

Obi-Wan says "Rey, these are your first steps" and that's it, it doesn't suggest anything about a familial relationship.

Nodnol

Why get Ewan McGregor in to record lines in a Rey-specific scene, whereby he calls out to her, if she wasn't someone important to him?

Any obligation from Luke's point of view, as suggested by Maz, will be because of Luke's relationship with Kenobi, surely?

It'll either be Luke, or my choice would be Obi-wan.

Ushojax

Why get Ewan McGregor in to record lines in a Rey-specific scene, whereby he calls out to her, if she wasn't someone important to him?

Any obligation from Luke's point of view, as suggested by Maz, will be because of Luke's relationship with Kenobi, surely?

It'll either be Luke, or my choice would be Obi-wan.

Obi-Wan is a ghost and one of Luke's masters, he is probably just encouraging Rey to accept her powers as Luke is not around to do it himself.

Number_6

Okay, I got it.

Obi-Wan trained his apprentice's son.
The apprentice's son will train Obi-Wan's granddaughter. The circle is now complete.

OR

Apollo Creed trained Rocky, his enemy-turned-friend, then died before having a son he'd never know. Rocky then trained the orphan son of his dead friend Apollo Creed.

Obi-Wan trained Anakin, his friend-turned-enemy, then Luke, the orphan son of Anakin. Obi-Wan died before having a granddaughter he'd never know. Luke then trained the orphan granddaughter of his dead friend Obi-Wan.

This granddaughter will go on to do great things, while her wealthy adoptive mother watches it all on TV at home.

Sorry, I'm having too much fun. Still pulling for Kenobi, though.

I guess Luke could have left her on the planet because he was afraid of turning her into another Kylo Ren. Depends on the age difference.

Jag

Rey and Falcon being on that planet is no coincidence. My guess is when Kylo went nuts, someone took the Falcon to that planet with baby Rey to escape..

Sotha_Sil

Or more likely she is actually an orphan, whose parents are of no consequence.

Star Wars, at least the main movies, is the story of the Skywalker family.

Rey is a Skywalker in some sense. Either a child Leia hid from Han after their separation or Luke's own.

As for Maz's line... she may have no idea who Rey's parents are or she's referring to Luke taking her in not as her father/uncle, but her teacher.

It was actually confirmed that Episode VIII will be the first Star Wars movie that picks up immediately after the end of the last one. The opening crawl is going to be amazing.

STAR WARS EPISODE VIII

Nothing happened. LUKE SKYWALKER is staring at REY, FINN is still recovering from his coma...

Maybe the crawl happens after the opening scene with a time skip?

Leatherface

In an unfortunate twist of events, Luke is Rey's father brother. This is why he lives in solitude on an island in the middle of nowhere. Shame.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Source?

And dont link now the part where they were just filming from the same spot.

I mean. She takes up her father's sword. How could it be less clear than that?

Yuuuuup.

My personal theory:

Kylo went nuts and killed off the Jedi trainees at the temple while Luke was away, and couldn't bring himself to kill his cousin (Rey obviously) and so he wiped/blocked her memory and dropped her off on Jakku and left Unkar Plutt enough gold and threats to keep her under wraps for years. That explains Luke thinking she is dead/not looking for her... the "What girl?!!" scene in TFA with Kylo... and Unkar Plutt seemingly knowing Rey and fucking with her when it comes to rations, etc...

If Rey's parentage is a mystery in TFA, and the answer is "Luke", then proper storytelling would have made Luke an actual character in that movie (rather than a Macguffin to drive the plot).

"No, I am your father" in ESB wouldn't have meant jack shit if Vader wasn't a main character in the previous film.

I don't think this is gonna be or was intended to be an "I am your father" moment. Unless they were REALLY trying to throw people off in TFA, they *heavily* implied Luke is her father. I think it will be treated as an "oh by the way" and not some epic reveal.

My two cents:

I think it's obvious Rey is a Skywalker because of how much she is like Anakin. A Mary Sue who can pilot well and fix anything. These are not traits of Han but of Luke/Vader...

I think she is Luke's daughter, or at least was trained by Luke as a small child before coming to Jakku. First of all, when the force "awakens", it seems like she knows what she's doing. She doesn't look like someone with newfound powers, but someone who is remembering old training.

Most importantly, when one of the officers tells Kylo about how BB8 escaped with a girl, Kylo exploded... almost as if he knows of a force sensitive girl that may be an issue...

My theory is that this girl, Rey, trained with Kylo under Luke before Kylo turned crazy and Luke sent her to Jakku to protect her. Kylo knew she was Luke's daughter, so he was afraid of her potential power, which both explains why Luke hid her from him and why Kylo lost his shit when he first heard about her appearance after all those years...

Not the most crazy theory out there, but this is star wars, not metal gear solid. It seems like the most logical explaination...

(edit) aaaaand zebra beat me to it lmfao...

Lol sorry - but we differ on whether it was Luke or Kylo who dropped her off. A lot of people think Luke would be a "bad dad" for leaving her on Jakku... but if he was being hunted it makes complete sense he'd want to hide her as far away as possible from him, with no knowledge of him in case she is even captured / interrogated.

BUT I think Kylo's "What girl?!" scene is a giveaway that it was Kylo who knew she was there, probably not Luke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom