• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what would be so strange about Obi Wan abandoning his Jedi vows at some point and living like a normal man given that that Jedi get slaughtered following Episode 3.

It sure seems less strange than Luke being a deadbeat, absentee dad. Even Han tried to hang around and be a real father before his kid turned to the dark side but Luke was like "nope" and had none of that? I really can't see Disney/Lucasfilm doing that to his character.

Unless people think they're going to have Luke knock up some random stranger and separate from her without ever knowing she was pregnant. All these theories sound far fetched to breed honest but one of them is probably true.

Right. You don't need to be a Skywalker to be strong with the Force. That's not how the Force works.

l32iT9B.gif

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. I have a feeling Luke might do a Yoda, helps to train Rey but stays on the island. I hope I'm wrong.
I think you're wrong. Rey was handing him the lightsaber like "bitch, you'd better clean up this mess that almost got me and my buddy killed." It didn't come across like they're just gonna have Luke giver her a few pointers and send her off on her way. Obviously I'm going off of very little.

-griffy-

Banned
Because they've had actual training?

Her being good/strong with the Force = her having to be Luke's daughter isn't a strong argument because familial inheritance isn't the only way to get gud with the Force. Anakin himself is pretty obvious evidence of that. The Force can manifest itself in someone for any and all reasons.

The problem is people keep trying to take a theory and then graft disparate evidence into that theory. This is also getting close to that Force Power Level/skill points needed to unlock X power that we kind of covered exhaustively in previous threads as to not being a compelling argument or how the Force works.

Surfinn

I think you're underselling obi wan and his relationship with the skywalker line just a bit here
Nah not underselling the importance of their relationship just hate the idea of the saga being based around ANOTHER lineage we already know. And considering Kathleen Kennedy said the main films are based around the Skywalker family, I really don't think the chances for this are good at all.

Just make her a nobody if you're going to change things up.

jett

D-Member
Her being good/strong with the Force = her having to be Luke's daughter isn't a strong argument because familial inheritance isn't the only way to get gud with the Force. Anakin himself is pretty obvious evidence of that. The Force can manifest itself in someone for any and all reasons.

The problem is people keep trying to take a theory and then graft disparate evidence into that theory. This is also getting close to that Force Power Level/skill points needed to unlock X power that we kind of covered exhaustively in previous threads as to not being a compelling argument or how the Force works.

Vader still received training bro. He wasn't pulling mindtricks or lifting shit with his mind in TPM (unless I forgot about it).

-griffy-

Banned
Vader still received training bro. He wasn't pulling mindtricks or lifting shit with his mind in TPM (unless I forgot about it).
You are missing what he did do with the Force in that movie.

Also,

That's Not How The Force Works ™

The training isn't about unlocking this power or that power, it's about letting go of your pre-existing beliefs and opening your mind to what's possible. Which is what Rey's entire arc in TFA is about, really.

phanphare

Banned
Nah not underselling the importance of their relationship just hate the idea of the saga being based around ANOTHER lineage we already know. And considering Kathleen Kennedy said the main films are based around the Skywalker family, I really don't think the chances for this are good at all.

if rey isn't a kenobi the force awakens will have been the first mainline Star Wars film without one in it

also kylo ren is a skywalker so that box is already checked

As a fan of the Skywalker melodrama it would be only be satisfying if Rey's is Luke's daughter, but this really makes no sense with the things we saw from TFA...

I can also live with her being a Kenobi but Star Wars should be about the Skywalkers dammit!

Rey is conceived by the Midichlorans but PLOT TWIST she was birthed by Luke!

They could not have been more obvious about her being Luke's kid if they had a plane fly through space with a banner saying "Rey is Luke's kid"

Did I watch the same TFA as some of y'all? I'm with Daisy... it was blatant that she was Luke's kid from the moment Kylo Ren flipped and choked the guy when mentioned a girl being with them leaving Jakku.

Do you think your father is just a myth?

I'm not sure that poster is the daughter of a Jedi Master who has been involved in fuck-knows-what for the last 30 years and has probably been on the run / in hiding for over a decade... but if they were, its quite possible

The ST is based around the Skywalker family because Ben Skywalker is the villain.

aBarreras

They could not have been more obvious about her being Luke's kid if they had a plane fly through space with a banner saying "Rey is Luke's kid"

Did I watch the same TFA as some of y'all? I'm with Daisy... it was blatant that she was Luke's kid from the moment Kylo Ren flipped and choked the guy when mentioned a girl being with them leaving Jakku.

neither kylo or snoke know who the fuck rei is, the only reason he flipped was because bb-8 escaped

That scene and that line can be easily chalked up to other things. Kylo was generally frustrated with the situation and the inclusion of some girl was just adding things to the chaos of losing the droid. Also, the script tries really hard to make Kylo have a beef with both Finn and Rey so it made sure to have them antagonize him as much as possible to give the fight more impact.

Raven117

I think it could actually add a lot to obi wan's character and strengthen the skywalker/kenobi relationship

obi wan saw what happened to anakin. I think it could be cool (and would make perfect sense) knowing that he didn't just put all of his eggs in another skywalker's basket.

Sure I mean...we are all just spit-balling anyway.

In the end...the writers are going to write in whatever they want (regardless of past cannon, because...writers do this all the time).

I see what you are getting at, but I appreciate the fact that Kenobi is a constant...represents a parallel to Skywalker that are dynamic.
that being said, I think is highly unlikely he gets to kill Luke.

I wonder at whose hands is Luke going to perish
Rey

Because they've had actual training?
So how do you think Jedi found new younglings to recruit? Did they go around testing every little kid they came across for midichlorians, or do you think maybe sometimes there were little kids out there doing incredible unexplained things that their parents didn't know what to do with?

Do you know why some of them originally survived? Toys, books etc. This is what I mean by conflict of interest. I'm not arguing, it's just there was a reason they reshot all of a characters scenes again. They're not the Marvel division yet.

Disney doesn't treat the Lucasfilm team the same as the others. They're more hands on. Feige is left alone because he's proven himself. Once the cash rolls in from RO, it'll be the same.

wtf am I reading

Why does Kathleen Kennedy have to prove herself to anyone

Nothing, except for people who don't know who she is - and those people mean nothing

I say she's Han and Leias daughter, that they were both mind wiped of her existence from there (Jedis can screw with your minds) and did this to protect her from Ben.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trying to explain the whole force/balance crap will likely torpedo these movies, and I think it's exactly what will happen. There's just more and more stuff being added to the stack, with lineage, balance, Rey's out of nowhere force use, Luke, first Jedi temple, Snooke, Kylo. It's all going to collapse under its own weight.

That scene and that line can be easily chalked up to other things. Kylo was generally frustrated with the situation and the inclusion of some girl was just adding things to the chaos of losing the droid. Also, the script tries really hard to make Kylo have a beef with both Finn and Rey so it made sure to have them antagonize him as much as possible to give the fight more impact.

neither kylo or snoke know who the fuck rei is, the only reason he flipped was because bb-8 escaped

Go watch the scene again, please.

He flipped out to the point of thrashing the fuck out of everything in sight with his lightsaber, and ONLY THEN resorts to harming the messenger/getting angry when the messenger mentions a girl being with them.

This is like, the first, and one of the most blatantly obvious giveaways that Kylo is aware of Rey being on Jakku. Him force choking the dude was his anger and fear that she has escaped (and later on, "awakened").

--

The film heavily implies Kylo put her there, or knew she was there, and wanted to hide it from Snoke - he even fucking says at the end that he wants to train her - and in that fight he clearly wasn't going for a killshot at all, even when she had him on the defensive.

--

I say she's Han and Leias daughter, that they were both mind wiped of her existence from there (Jedis can screw with your minds) and did this to protect her from Ben.

Stuff like all this is why I should stay away from SW threads, its bad for my blood pressure.

--

Listen, folks. This is Star Wars, not "The Usual Suspects" or "Memento" ... Rey isn't a clone of Plagueis cousin or Han and Leia's daughter they were mind-wiped into forgetting or Obi-Wan's long lost lovechild with a character from a kids TV show

She's Luke's kid, or some fucking nobody with nobodies for parents - and one of those options doesn't sound compelling at all, and doesn't sync up with what Kennedy said the main saga is about ("The Skywalker Saga")

--

There *will* be a twist... but its almost certainly pertaining to Rey's MOM, not Luke being her dad. Quite possibly even setting up her mother as the big baddie behind Snoke.

Trying to explain the whole force/balance crap will likely torpedo these movies, and I think it's exactly what will happen. There's just more and more stuff being added to the stack, with lineage, balance, Rey's out of nowhere force use, Luke, first Jedi temple, Snooke, Kylo. It's all going to collapse under its own weight.
I think Rey's force use will be explained by the fact that she's always been a force user and had been given rudimentary training by her parents. A lot of the stuff she does early in the film before meeting up with Finn could be explained by that.

I've had the theory since my first viewing that the "Force Awakens" refers not to Rey but to Finn. I think the writers specifically left all of these ideas vague enough that the writers of Episode 8 wouldn't be locked into a particular storyline which was a smart way to handle it.

I still think she's Anakin reincarted. Explains why his Force Ghost wasn't around to tell Kylo that the Dark Side sucks and how quickly she was able to learn everything Force-related.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Go watch the scene again, please.

He flipped out to the point of thrashing the fuck out of everything in sight with his lightsaber, and ONLY THEN resorts to harming the messenger/getting angry when the messenger mentions a girl being with them.

This is like, the first, and one of the most blatantly obvious giveaways that Kylo is aware of Rey being on Jakku. Him force choking the dude was his anger and fear that she has escaped (and later on, "awakened").

--

The film heavily implies Kylo put her there, or knew she was there, and wanted to hide it from Snoke - he even fucking says at the end that he wants to train her - and in that fight he clearly wasn't going for a killshot at all, even when she had him on the defensive.

That works to some extent. In her vision it looks like the guy with the hat is about to club someone, and I assumed it was young Rey, but the guy gets killed by Kylo. Then we see Kylo and his buddies all around, with Rey alone. To me it suggested that someone tried to kill Rey to avoid having her fall into Kylo's hands, but he saved her. My assumption would be that she was with Luke's students.

But she would have had to be pretty young, and the vision shows Kylo in full gear and all. Mind wipe isn't impossible, but pretty unlikely unless she repressed those memories from her mind herself out of trauma.

phanphare

Banned
She's Luke's kid, or some fucking nobody with nobodies for parents - and one of those options doesn't sound compelling at all, and doesn't sync up with what Kennedy said the main saga is about ("The Skywalker Saga")

rey being luke's daughter is the least likely scenario on the table right now

It's a concern, not something I'm pushing as being definite, as lot of fiction seem to go with this angle of a destined/sacred/special bloodline. Anakin obviously doesn't have some famous ancestry, because he's the "start" of the Star Wars story that the movies focus on.

I'm just trying to think of explanations of Rey's abilities. Anakin was special, and Luke was (to an extent), but without training at best they had vague abilities of highly heightened perception and reflexes. Nothing concrete or complex like Rey outright using the jedi mind trick

Holy shit Carrie Fisher just passed everyone

Fucking really? No, she didn't. GTFO.

On topic (and following up on my point of Rey's mom being the baddie, or dying to save Rey from Snoke or w/e, and hiding her on Jakku)

The end scene from TFA:

That is clearly a headstone.

My head-canon, and what a lot of people on SW forums and such have come to conclusions about, is that it is most likely for Rey, as Luke thinks she is dead (and before anyone goes on about sensing her, Vader never knew he had kids, nor that they were alive).

rey being luke's daughter is the least likely scenario on the table right now

Are you saying this to be contrarian, or do you actually have a reasoning behind this? Because most everyone (internet in general) agrees she is. Literally nothing is more likely except using Occam's Razor to say she's a nobody.

I still think she's Anakin reincarted. Explains why his Force Ghost wasn't around to tell Kylo that the Dark Side sucks and how quickly she was able to learn everything Force-related.

I can't believe stuff like this is seriously entertained... again - this is not a Christopher Nolan film, and it is not the Prequels... we are not getting some force ghost/clone/midichlorian mess again. Just stop.

It's a concern, not something I'm pushing as being definite, as lot of fiction seem to go with this angle of a destined/sacred/special bloodline. Anakin obviously doesn't have some famous ancestry, because he's the "start" of the Star Wars story that the movies focus on.

I'm just trying to think of explanations of Rey's abilities. Anakin was special, and Luke was (to an extent), but without training at best they had vague abilities of highly heightened perception and reflexes. Nothing concrete or complex like Rey outright using the jedi mind trick

The overriding opinion on most fan-boards and theorycrafting is that A) She's Luke's kid and is just flat-out powerful, and then B) her mother is a force user and possibly the main baddie of the entire saga - or she was a force user and died hiding Rey or some other explanation.

phanphare

Banned
Are you saying this to be contrarian, or do you actually have a reasoning behind this? Because most everyone (internet in general) agrees she is. Literally nothing is more likely except using Occam's Razor to say she's a nobody.

well her interaction with Maz, for one. and even throwing that out I just don't think they'd go down that road. you can call TFA a rehash of ANH all you want but making Rey be Luke's daughter would be the laziest thing they could possibly do so much so that I think it's off the table completely.

well her interaction with Maz, for one. and even throwing that out I just don't think they'd go down that road. you can call TFA a rehash of ANH all you want but making Rey be Luke's daughter would be the laziest thing they could possibly do so much so that I think it's off the table completely.

Her interaction with Maz reinforces her being Luke's kid.

Maz states that the belonging she seeks is with Luke, she states that the saber was Anakin's, then Luke's and now it is heirs (lineage/heirs), and when she asks Han "Who's the girl?" it cuts to black immediately - meaning Han figured out who she was by the time they got there, and Maz has some ideas.

Nothing she says at all discounts Rey being Luke's kid. And if you're about to bring up the people who put her on Jakku aren't coming back - that pretty clearly implies she was not left there by Luke ... not that she is not his kid.

This entire thread is based off Daisy Ridley pretty much saying "I was shocked when people didn't assume I was Luke's daughter after seeing TFA"

Hell, she had a pre-TFA interview where she said the "main question" of her parentage will be answered in the film. I mean how much more obvious can it get?

Lebron

Rey be Luke's daughter would be the laziest thing they could possibly do so much so that I think it's off the table completely.

Well JJ and company are calling the shots so wouldn't surprise me.

"let's make a death star planet this time and have them blow it up"

phanphare

Banned

Maz states that the belonging she seeks is with Luke, she states that the saber was Anakin's, then Luke's and now it is heirs (lineage/heirs), and when she asks Han "Who's the girl?" it cuts to black immediately - meaning Han figured out who she was by the time they got there, and Maz has some ideas.

Nothing she says at all discounts Rey being Luke's kid. And if you're about to bring up the people who put her on Jakku aren't coming back - that pretty clearly implies she was not left there by Luke ... not that she is not his kid.

This entire thread is based off Daisy Ridley pretty much saying "I was shocked when people didn't assume I was Luke's daughter after seeing TFA"

Hell, she had a pre-TFA interview where she said the "main question" of her parentage will be answered in the film. I mean how much more obvious can it get?

I disagree with your take for reasons that BobbyRoberts brought up on previous pages

I disagree especially with your spin on Maz's words to her. saying that Maz is talking about the people who left Rey there and not specifically her parents....no. that doesn't make any sense.

also ridley's comments could absolutely be about her being a kenobi. I mean, there are so many things that link them in the film that if true would seem pretty obvious in hindsight. hell one could even argue that the blatant ANH parallels are to lead you to the not so blatant ones, like the final saber fight being between a skywalker and a kenobi or rey stealthing around the base much like obi wan in ANH. or rey's first words being in an alien tongue.

but answer me this, why did obi wan speak to rey in her vision? what's the significance there? there obviously is some, especially with both ewan mcgregor and alec guinness being accounted for.

Well JJ and company are calling the shots so wouldn't surprise me.

"let's make a death star planet this time and have them blow it up"

that's what I'm saying though, riffing on ANH is one thing. making her Luke's daughter is a whole other thing.

Emarv

Thematically, what's the point of withholding that information until VIII? Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to reveal that information to her so that she, as a character, would have even more of a vested interest in finding her father? And give even more emotional weight to that final reuniting shot?

I mean, you could counter-argue "lol JJ" or "It's just like the OT so of course they want the I Am Your Father line for VIII" but none of that really works for me. It would just seem like a weird missed opportunity.

I'm totally open to the likelihood that Luke is her father, but I really, really hope they don't go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom