• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Lusankya

1.8gb for the DLC. I hope my theory about hardsubbed cutscenes being included is right, then. Anyone that can confirm?

Also, holy shit the theme is free.
"Description

Adds the original Japanese voice-over track and subtitled cutscenes to the game."

FluxWaveZ

Those add subtitled English cutscenes, huh. That's indeed weird they're not in the base game, but at least they're in.

Unless that's just referring to Japanese cutscenes. Would be interested in finding out.

Prelude.

"Subtitled cutscenes" means hardsubbed cutscenes in japanese, if they were softsubbed the subs would be in the regular edition. You're redownloading the cutscenes already in the game but with added subs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh sweet, not only is the Vita theme out today, but it's free as well?! Awesome.

Though damn, 1.78GB for the Japanese language & subtitles. I just want the subtitles, kind of wish they were separate downloads.

Kinsei

Banned
The store I pre-ordered from didn't get their shipment of the game in yet and have no clue when they will. I figure I'll just move the money over to a Mario Maker pre-order and download the game from the Playstation Store when I get home, but it's still not up :(

When does Sony usually update the Vita Playstation Store?

Volcynika

The store I pre-ordered from didn't get their shipment of the game in yet and have no clue when they will. I figure I'll just move the money over to a Mario Maker pre-order and download the game from the Playstation Store when I get home, but it's still not up :(

When does Sony usually update the Vita Playstation Store?

It's up on PSN if anyone wanted to get it digitally: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...irls/cid=UP1063-PCSE00692_00-DESPAIRGIRLSNA01

Downloading it right now.

Is that not the game?

FluxWaveZ

I got my Amazon.ca copy earlier, for those who ordered from there.

Won't have to open it, though, I guess. Just bought it to support the series.

bigkrev

Wait, are there seriously no subtitles in the game unless you install a 1.8 gig patch?

The last time I can remember a game not having subtitles was Assassin's Creed 1 back in 2007

FluxWaveZ

Wait, are there seriously no subtitles in the game unless you install a 1.8 gig patch?

The last time I can remember a game not having subtitles was Assassin's Creed 1 back in 2007

It's the anime cutscenes that don't have subtitles; the rest of the game does. It's still a strange omission; there were some words I missed out on because of there being no English subtitles for English cutscenes.

bigkrev

It's the anime cutscenes that don't have subtitles; the rest of the game does. It's still a strange omission; there were some words I missed out on because of there being no English subtitles for English cutscenes.

Ugh, guess I have to download the pack then.
Sony really needs to provide a storage solution larger than 64 gigs. I'm constantly needing to delete stuff, and needing 4 gigs of space for a single game isn't helping at all.

Nothing arrived for me today :( I got my email with shipping info literally one minute after I opened my email lol, but looks like it'll probably be another day or two before I get the game judging by how far out it is.

Ugh, guess I have to download the pack then.
Sony really needs to provide a storage solution larger than 64 gigs. I'm constantly needing to delete stuff, and needing 4 gigs of space for a single game isn't helping at all.

This. I'm actually wondering whether it's worth it in my case as downloading the patch will increase my save file to 1.8GB, so I'll probably end up having to delete it off my Vita to make room one day (still on 16GB).

Hikami

Well, Amazon still has my order listed as "preparing for shipment". Seems like I won't be playing this today then..

BTA

Guess I can download the voice pack and have it ready to play whenever my copy arrives at least. That theme seems pretty rad too.

Eblo

Just got a shipping confirmation for my LE order from NISA. It seems to be priority mail (I selected free shipping when ordering), meaning there's a good chance I'll get it by the end of the week.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sweet, got my confirmation email as well. Also got priority mail, so guessing Thursday or Friday.

Edit: says the shipping label was created yesterday around noon as well.

Is it not possible for them to patch the unsubbed cutscnese out? :/

Edit: responded to wrong post but close enough

akileese

Just got a shipping confirmation for my LE order from NISA. It seems to be priority mail (I selected free shipping when ordering), meaning there's a good chance I'll get it by the end of the week.

I was wondering what's going on with this. I'm thirty minutes from their shipping facility so normally I get everything on either Saturday or Monday. I'm guessing there was a problem which is why everything was shipped out so late.

Got my shipment notification from NISA a little bit ago. I wish I had it today but I'll be flying in a couple weeks so I'll just try to limit my despair since this gives me more to do in the airport and on the flight.

Prelude.

What's so hard to understand about the cutscenes?

It's either english audio with no subs during cutscenes or japanese audio with subs during cutscenes, there's no subtitle track to turn off/on, it's a different video playing.

BTA

No notification yet (order status is "Processing Pre-order" though I've gotten the e-mail saying my payment's dealt with at least), so if I'm lucky it'll arrive Friday, hopefully.

Prelude.

Alright, I give up trying to comprehend the situation anymore. I'm too stupid. (I have the Monokuma pin to prove it)

Alright, so, first of all:
Softsubs = subtitles are a separate file playing with the video, they're just like a layer on top of it so you can turn them off/on since it's just a toggle. They're like subtitles in a DVD/BD.
Hardsubs = subtitles are rendered in the video, they're "merged", it's part of the video frames. They're like subtitles in a VHS.

The game never had any softsub support during anime cutscenes (the actual videos, not the in-game cutscenes) even in japanese so they'd have had to re-work the game in order to add something like that so they left the english cutscenes unsubbed because, honestly, you should never hardsub anything, it's amateur shit and it's not really smart forcing subtitles on everyone. But, since they provided the japanese audio too they had to find a workaround for the lack of softsubs, of course, and including the same cutscenes but with japanese audio and hardsubs whas the only possible solution. They could have just decided to pull an ATLUS and let the english cutscenes play even when playing it in japanese so I'm glad they went all the way and included them in the DLC.

As for the reason why they're in a DLC, it's just a matter of space, they couldn't fit in the cart. The game alone is 2.3 gb so the DLC would put it over 4gb.

Played the game for a couple of hours, my first impressions are that the story maintains its dark nature and suspenseful feel despite not taking place in a killing game. In many ways, I feel like this change of setting is actually a really good thing for the series, as the stakes are a lot higher, death and destruction is everywhere, etc. Honestly the game gives me Resident Evil vibes, it's almost like a Raccoon City situation, but with that signature Danganronpa style. I also like the interactions between Komaru and Toko, this game definitely makes Toko more likable than the first game did.
As far as the gameplay is concerned, I'm actually rather impressed. For a series that is normal visual novel with rather lackluster gameplay sections, the gameplay in this outing is much improved. The mechanics are solid, and while it doesn't wow or amaze in any way, it's fun and serviceable. My only gripe is that control is taken away so often for cutscenes and tutorials, but I'm betting that will be alleviated as I get further. All in all, I'm very impressed, I can see this game easily being as good as the first two in the story department, and far surpassing them in the gameplay department.

NISA Store still has not shipped my LE copy yet, I am in despair.
ngbbs48aa76f200019.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heads up, the free Vita theme actually normally costs $2.99, according to Sony's PS Store blog. Guessing once next week comes around, it'll no longer be free, so grab it while you can, even if you don't have a Vita yet (just get on the browser store so it's in your download history).

Labrys

Heads up, the free Vita theme actually normally costs $2.99, according to Sony's PS Store blog. Guessing once next week comes around, it'll no longer be free, so grab it while you can, even if you don't have a Vita yet (just get on the browser store so it's in your download history).

Changed that in the OT, thanks for that.

Could I also get a direct link to the JP voice DLC? I'll add that to the OT as well.

Also a small update, things are slightly looking up for me (dog is feeling a lot better, i just got a new job), so i'll be slowly working on updating the graphics for the OT and switch out some graciously allowed from the import OT.

bigkrev

If you want a physical copy, Best Buy actually is stocking this in store! I stopped in on the way home from work to grab Metal Gear, and there were actually multiple copies of the game in stock. Great if you have GCU
CN2JHrRUkAUWvit.jpg

Top Bottom