• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Here's an album with over 170 screens of my final Dark Souls run. The shots aren't as good as Neiteio's, but there are still pretty cool. :D

Here some of the screens:
apxmxjh.png

gZIpZ8v.png

bjbCJYk.png

Ju17TwU.png

N9llvqW.png

Toxi

Banned
How do you know it's on a field of Dark Moon grass? I totally missed that part, somehow.
There isn't much Dark Moon Grass in the game, but you can find 4 of them underneath the village area clumped together. I can't think of anywhere else in the level with three Dark Moon Grass in one spot, let alone four.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I've seen a few posts mention it, sans details, but is it really the case that enemies don't respawn when you use bonfires/rest, or that they are finite? If so, how many respawns per enemy, or does it vary?

I can see its value in diminishing farming souls and thus compromising difficulty, and yet also means the fear of venturing through even completed zones will essentially be nil.
They respawn about 15 times. I have whole sections of the game which are completely empty.

Are saves copy-protected on PS3 like in DeS and DaS? Don't want bums that hack savefiles with godtier chars online.
Yes.

YeSp

Neo Member
Anyone know how the dedicated servers are setup? I want to buy the digital version on the US playstation store and play on my EU account. Is it a world wide server or Regional? Could I play on the EU serves?

oroboros

Not sure how many have seen this, but it's pretty cool. Found this video series while looking for non DS2 spoiler media to quench some thirst for the new game. It's like the story of the first Dark Souls edited into some kind of movie with 7 or 8 parts. Kinda cool how it's edited and shot with some in game camera I guess, with voice overs from the characters telling the story and music as it goes. If you're wondering about what happened in the first game, or you beat it and want to see the story told in a pretty unique way check it out. Chapter 1 Youtube link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdBDEFXe8bw

Brohan

They respawn about 15 times. I have whole sections of the game which are completely empty.

What the fuck, that sounds like an awful system.. And doesn't it allow people to cheese thru the game? For example: kill one mob -> back to bonfire -> kill mob -> back to bonfire.. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: couldn't they just have diminished the amount souls awarded for each consequent kill to the point where a monster doesn't give any souls anymore?

What the fuck, that sounds like an awful system.. And doesn't it allow people to cheese thru the game? For example: kill one mob -> back to bonfire -> kill mob -> back to bonfire.. Rinse and repeat.

If they're willing to go through all that trouble I say let em.

krakov

But there are at least two important short cuts in the DLC, isn't that example enough? One to Artorias, the other just before a miniboss in front of the Abyss.

I wrote about this already, but I don't see either as necessary really. The first one serves to make the boss run shorter which is fine. The second one is pretty much useless once you've lit the chasm bonfire. Though I agree with you it's fun for PvP.

A good shortcut for me is the church to firelink elevator, to name an example. It makes traversing the world easier and loops back in an unexpected way. It's not just there to save 30 seconds or make a level easier.

oroboros

Are you really going to run back to the bonfire 15 times for EVERY enemy just to clear it out and make the game easier? That sounds like it would take forever and much longer, tedious than to just git gud.

joezombie

They could have just had enemies stop dropping souls or drop a nominal amount of souls after 15. It's easy to support in the fiction as they're losing their power by being killed so often or whatever

Brohan

Are you really going to run back to the bonfire 15 times for EVERY enemy just to clear it out and make the game easier? That sounds like it would take forever and much longer than to just git gud.

I don't think alot of people would abuse the system like that but the fact that it is possible just seems stupid to me.

And what worries me much more is the empty areas...

Afrodium

Banned

Does this only go into effect once a boss is killed, or could you empty out an area by running back to the boss front bonfire after you've died countless times?

T.O.P

Banned
Ok i got a quick snippet at a couple of bosses because i couldn't resist

Let's just say that Pinwheel seemed more elaborate than those

Anyway still undiced if i'll go Dual Sword or classic Knight, i'm scared to go in first time without a shield lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
But what if you're trying to farm a weapon or armor? I've killed the balder knights way more than 15x in a playthrough trying to get the full balder set... I would be pretty annoyed if I just needed one more piece to complete a set and suddenly there are no more enemies to provide the drop.

But what if you're trying to farm a weapon or armor? I've killed the balder knights way more than 15x in a playthrough trying to get the full balder set... I would be pretty annoyed if I just needed one more piece to complete a set and suddenly there are no more enemies to provide the drop.

If that happens, you could use a ascetic bonfire so that they repawn again. They will be stronger tho, but I think the drop rate becomes higher also.

Zeliard

Practice rolling everything now because tight spaces get even tighter without a shield

(Looks very viable though)

In the first two Souls games my main build was a highly mobile, 2H, DEX-based character. If I used a shield it was usually something like Grass Crest which I kept on my back (speaking of which, I do hope there's another similar stamina-boosting shield this time around).

So I'm accustomed to that sort of playstyle, and I enjoy it a lot. Looking forward to seeing what proper dual wielding is like. Sounds like the sort of high-risk/high-reward style of play which I'm quite fond of.

Deitus

Are you really going to run back to the bonfire 15 times for EVERY enemy just to clear it out and make the game easier? That sounds like it would take forever and much longer, tedious than to just git gud.

I don't think most people are going to go to that extent to abuse the mechanic intentionally. But consider Jeff Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yzwf5ZZRdY&feature=youtu.be

He died more than 15 times on the way to Taurus Demon, and another 15+ on the way to the Gargoyles (way, way more than 15 actually), not to mention the deaths against the bosses themselves. Those entire areas would be completely barren by the time he cleared the bosses. I think that would have made for a less entertaining stream, and a less challenging game. And I think it would have taken him a lot longer to actually learn how to play if he could have just brute forced his way through.

Jobbs

Banned
can anyone speak definitively about when this'll go live on the PSN store? I hear such conflicting reports. Some people say 12am PST, others say the PSN store doesn't update until later in the afternoon.

oroboros

I don't think most people are going to go to that extent to abuse the mechanic intentionally. But consider Jeff Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yzwf5ZZRdY&feature=youtu.be

He died more than 15 times on the way to Taurus Demon, and another 15+ on the way to the Gargoyles (way, way more than 15 actually), not to mention the deaths against the bosses themselves. Those entire areas would be completely barren by the time he cleared the bosses. I think that would have made for a less entertaining stream, and a less challenging game. And I think it would have taken him a lot longer to actually learn how to play if he could have just brute forced his way through.

So do all the enemies in an area stop spawning after the player dies 15 times, or is it after you kill a certain enemy 15 times only it stops spawning. if it's the first way then yeah thats stupid and easy to abuse and cheese the game, but if the second then it still seems like casual nonsense, but I mean you'd still have to kill every single enemy in the level 15 times each to clear it out so it's not as easy.

Personally I wish this wasn't in the game at all or that the limit was raised to more like 30 or more times, but hopefully it's not going to kill my experience too much since I heard there are items that
reset the respawns and make enemies harder too
which I'm planning to use every chance I get so that the real Dark Souls 2 starts here on my first blind playthrough.

FrankWza

It should have a PS4/X1 version. PS3 and X360 just couldn't handle it :/

LOL definitive release is on the PC

More like From can't handle it.

I wouldn't be so sure. The game on pc looks like it's based on ps3 /360 and pc might just get the framerate boost.

It's possible, but they haven't explicitly expressed any interest in doing one.

I wouldn't hold my breathe there bud.

I'm gonna hold off. Unless there are some big SSD benefits like Skyrim. There probably wont be a full install options on PS3 anyway. Based on these threads a definitive version is inevitable I'm not a hardcore souls player so I can understand not being able to wait for those that are. I just a don't replay many games these days after I've beaten them.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=781625&page=100000

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=775817&highlight=dark+souls

Deitus

So do all the enemies in an area stop spawning after the player dies 15 times, or is it after you kill a certain enemy 15 times only it stops spawning. if it's the first way then yeah thats stupid and easy to abuse and cheese the game, but if the second then it still seems like casual nonsense, but I mean you'd still have to kill every single enemy in the level 15 times each to clear it out so it's not as easy.

Assuming I am understanding the mechanic right, it's each enemy will only respawn 15 times, so yeah for inexperienced players it would take more than 15 runs through a level to make it completely empty. I still think a lot of less skilled players will get to the point where enemies stop respawning, and I just think it takes away a lot from the game.

For me, I frequently run through lower level areas to get to a merchant, or to take a shortcut, or just to practice fighting with a new weapon with a bit less risk. I've definitely killed most enemies in Undead Burg and several in Darkroot Garden, Sens Fortress, and Anor Londo more than 15 times. It would ruin those areas if they were now free of enemies.

Personally I wish this wasn't in the game at all or that the limit was raised to more like 30 or more times, but hopefully it's not going to kill my experience too much since I heard there are items that
reset the respawns and make enemies harder too
which I'm planning to use every chance I get so that the real Dark Souls 2 starts here on my first blind playthrough.

I think I would be okay with the mechanic if it was off by default, and players had to enable it. Like maybe one of the starting gifts was a ring that had this effect, or maybe an NPC could enable or disable this for a fee. Having it be the default option takes away from the game I think. At least unless I'm misunderstanding the mechanic.

K.Sabot

Damn that game looks good. I want it in my hands pretty badly right about now, just so I can stop worrying about giving into the temptation of watching a stream.

Tucah

you speak so well
I wish Amazon would ship my copy so I could stop worrying about when I'll get my copy :(

Just finished up a DS1 run, will be my last for a long, long time assuming DSII isn't completely awful. Going in almost completely blind, besides some screenshots and about ten seconds of a stream in a moment of weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom