• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Dark Souls 1 was a horrifyingly shitty game without a soul because Lost Izalith looked like rushed shit.
Every time I read something about Dark Souls 2 having too many reused assets, I wonder if people remember how From literally copy-pasted a dragon's ass to fill out their enemies.

Bounding_Demon.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Every time I read something about Dark Souls 2 having too many reused assets, I wonder if people remember how From literally copy-pasted a dragon's ass to fill out their enemies.

Bounding_Demon.png

Better reused assets than dragons asses. #Justice4DS2

Deitus

Bounding_Demon.png

I wouldn't have minded the reused dragon asses so much if they were such ass to fight.

I uh thought Lost Izalith looked good for the most part.

I don't think it looked particularly bad, but the lava really burns into your retinas if you are trying to explore the lower areas.

Edit: The level design on the other hand, is terrible. Especially the lower part.

Gorillaz

This hasn't been talked about much but didn't From say they made day and night cycles in game? That might have something to do with the lighting....idk probably nothing to do with it

Bounding_Demon.png
Ah yes...that level....it was basically Jurassic Park with lava

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lost Izalith was freaking awesome, I loved that area.

Let this set the tone for the stream watcher's impressions. I disliked Lost Izalith. Finished the game on PS3 for the first time today (but finished it on 360 and played it on PC beforehand) and I found it meandering and somewhat empty compared to the rest of the game. For all the shit being heaped on Dark Souls II right now, having seen a lot of the game from the streams... I never saw any area that I found poorly designed or empty. It always looked incredibly thoughtful and concise. Just artistically outstanding to my eyes.

So truth be told, when I see people talking shit about DSII's areas...I roll my eyes. Something fierce.

Feindflug

oh god dragon's dogma again

The 360 version might be worse though than DD since in DS2 the frame-rate goes above 30fps and from the streams I saw the game torn frames like almost all the time which was not the case with DD.

Anyway I guess we'll find out in a few days, I guess the game coming out later in the EU is not always a bad thing. :p

Vazra

Lost Izalith was some of the laziest and rushed level in the game. You could tell they couldn't figure out what to do with it. Tons of Lava and linear exploration.

Employee 1 Ohhh but we have no enemies in here?
Employee2: Hmmmm what about Dinosaurs?
Employee1:No they dont fit!
Employee2: What about dragons you assholes!?!?!
Employee1:You are a Genius!!! Dragon Asses!
Employee2:*Facepalms*

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What do you mean with this?

That most people in the spoiler thread's opinions are 100% apart from mine. And I say that as someone who refinished DS1 today. I have seen a lot of DS2 and unlike these people I think it looks outstanding and very well designed. The spoiler thread is basically people saying that everything in DSII is bland and empty. I think it looks utterly wonderful. And I say that as someone who was extremely negative towards the game a few weeks ago, and argued against alot of the people defending it pre-release in other threads.

How many areas have problems? Half, more than half, less?

No idea. From peeking in streams, it seemed to be half/half, yeah.

Dark Souls 1 was a horrifyingly shitty game without a soul because Lost Izalith looked like rushed shit. And Quelaag's boss room was empty looking garbage.

I didn't say that. Can you find where I said that? Or where I put any kind of value judgement on the game at all? Or are you just climbing up my ass because you're overly defensive? All I said was that those areas are fine, but I have absolutely seen some that seem really bland and lifeless due to the lack of lighting. It's no dealbreaker, but it still sucks.

Whatever, I love the look of the game. Quite an upgrade over the first on the whole.

In some areas, yeah. Some areas look worse than anything in Demons, so overall it'll probably be a wash, but it's weird how inconsistent it is.

KarmaCow

Lost Izalith is so disappointing. You're entering the ruins of a underground city ravaged by the creators of Pyromancy toying with forces they far beyond their control and it's filled with shit tier enemies and the terrible sheen off lava. It's like an inverse Tomb of Giants where it feels way too small for how much space the area takes up.

Got a question but don't really want to post in the spoiler thread for fear against certain types of spoilers.

It's about the bonfire ascetic and the NG+ mechanics. For people not wanting to spoil themselves, do not read below, ortherwise if you've played the game or already spoiled yourself on this aspect, feel free to answer.
Suppose I'm in NG, but for spoilery reasons, wanted to up the bonfire to NG++ difficulty after each kill of an area's boss.
What will happen then once I properly go to NG+ :
- Is the bonfire going to go back one level to NG+ difficulty (because it conforms itself to the present difficulty at the start) ?
- Will it stay at NG++ difficulty (because it stays at the level you choose) ?
- Will it go up one level to NG+++ (because at each subsequent playthrough every bonfire goes up by one level) ?

I uh thought Lost Izalith looked good for the most part.

Mitt-Romney-Laughing.gif

I thought the architecture and the enemy designs of Lost Izalith looked really cool. My main issues with it though is that the enemies' attacks are way too predictable compared to others, lava's bloom effects were over-the-top nuts, and you all know how the Bed of Chaos was. The scene with
Solaire and the scene with Siegmeyer
kinda saves it for me though.

Listonosh

So after playing a bunch this weekend, I've noticed an inherent problem with the game's mechanics which some were already touched upon here, but I wonder if people agree with me (those who have the game) or think otherwise.

The biggest issue for me is the finite monster count. I'm at a part with my Sorcerer where I have to fight
3 bosses at once
. So I thought, well I need to up my INT a little more, definitely more health, and probably more DEX so I can cast more than three times before resting. So I run through the usual area from the bonfire to the boss area which gives me a decent amount of souls, so I basically had to do about 2-3 runs per 1 level attained.

This is all peachy, except when the monsters become extinct. There goes my way of grinding to get slightly better stats so I can stand a chance in this boss fight. But there is a bigger problem, estus flasks and lifegems. As you all probably know, you start with
only 1 estus flask
and then
get more through shards
which wouldn't much be a problem if Lifegem drops were better. But after feeling confident and actually getting near the end of the boss fight, I used up all of my lifegems, and ended up dying. Goodbye lifegems. At this point I still only have
two estus flasks left
. Now I'm stuck not being able to farm souls to level, and also not being able to farm lifegems so I can stay alive longer. So no soul income, no lifegem income. I'm basically stuck. To top it all off, each time you die and you don't regain your humanity, you lose a percentage of your overall life bar. Cool, that encourages players to actually play as an undead and not as a hollow the whole time, except if the items that you needed to turn back weren't so damn limited in the game. By the 20th time I tried that same bossfight, no lifegems, no human effigies, and my health bar at 50% because I couldn't unhollow, and no farming. Doesn't anyone else see the problem here?

Now of course the argument here could be, "Just get better bitch" and yeah I agree, I felt like one of the early bosses was a bit unfair until I defeated him after about 10 times trying feeling really good about myself, but damn From, why take the option of farming away from me?

It's also important to note that Dark Souls II world isn't open like DkS1. It is very much linear with a lot of gear gating, so it's not like I can say, well fuck that boss, I'll go to a different area and return once I'm better, because there are no other areas. There might be a few with dead ends and some extra items to find, but not ones that actually lead to other boss doors. I loved being dropped in Firelink shrine, not knowing where to go, and even though technically only one was was the correct way, there was nothing stopping me from exploring the other areas. Hell, if I wanted to, I could go to Blighttown immediately after Firelink, assuming I had the Master Key.

Gameplay wise the game is fantastic, and every bit as good as its perfect predecessor, but these odd changes to finite monsters, to an overly stupid system that requires me to travel to a certain area each time just to spend my souls to level, are so far holding the game back from winning me over from DkS1.

Also, if anyone feels like this should be in the Spoilers thread, please just let me know and I'll take it down. Just figured I'd seen some mechanics talk here before.

TentPole

This is all peachy, except when the monsters become extinct. There goes my way of grinding to get slightly better stats so I can stand a chance in this boss fight. But there is a bigger problem, estus flasks and lifegems. As you all probably know, you start with
only 1 estus flask
and then
get more through shards
which wouldn't much be a problem if Lifegem drops were better. But after feeling confident and actually getting near the end of the boss fight, I used up all of my lifegems, and ended up dying. Goodbye lifegems. At this point I still only have
two estus flasks left
. Now I'm stuck not being able to farm souls to level, and also not being able to farm lifegems so I can stay alive longer. So no soul income, no lifegem income. I'm basically stuck. To top it all off, each time you die and you don't regain your humanity, you lose a percentage of your overall life bar. Cool, that encourages players to actually play as an undead and not as a hollow the whole time, except if the items that you needed to turn back weren't so damn limited in the game. By the 20th time I tried that same bossfight, no lifegems, no human effigies, and my health bar at 50% because I couldn't unhollow, and no farming. Doesn't anyone else see the problem here?

This is the most exciting thing I have read about this game in a while.

Great post, but it's pretty clear they explicitly designed the new Soul Level amounts and enemies being cleared out to discourage leveling through an encounter you can't beat. Lifegems are clearly meant to be an out of combat healing item, not for boss encounters. You should be able to make do with your Estus and current stats or rethink your gear, maybe? Respec, if you really need to change your points around?

So after playing a bunch this weekend, I've noticed an inherent problem with the game's mechanics which some were already touched upon here, but I wonder if people agree with me (those who have the game) or think otherwise.

The biggest issue for me is the finite monster count. I'm at a part with my Sorcerer where I have to fight
3 bosses at once
. So I thought, well I need to up my INT a little more, definitely more health, and probably more DEX so I can cast more than three times before resting. So I run through the usual area from the bonfire to the boss area which gives me a decent amount of souls, so I basically had to do about 2-3 runs per 1 level attained.

only 1 estus flask
and then
get more through shards
two estus flasks left

Now of course the argument here could be, "Just get better bitch" and yeah I agree, I felt like one of the early bosses was a bit unfair until I defeated him after about 10 times trying feeling really good about myself, but damn From, why take the option of farming away from me?

It's also important to note that Dark Souls II world isn't open like DkS1. It is very much linear with a lot of gear gating, so it's not like I can say, well fuck that boss, I'll go to a different area and return once I'm better, because there are no other areas. There might be a few with dead ends and some extra items to find, but not ones that actually lead to other boss doors. I loved being dropped in Firelink shrine, not knowing where to go, and even though technically only one was was the correct way, there was nothing stopping me from exploring the other areas. Hell, if I wanted to, I could go to Blighttown immediately after Firelink, assuming I had the Master Key.

Gameplay wise the game is fantastic, and every bit as good as its perfect predecessor, but these odd changes to finite monsters, to an overly stupid system that requires me to travel to a certain area each time just to spend my souls to level, are so far holding the game back from winning me over from DkS1.

Also, if anyone feels like this should be in the Spoilers thread, please just let me know and I'll take it down. Just figured I'd seen some mechanics talk here before.

Isn't there an item you can burn at the bonfire that will reset the enemies in the area but in NG+ form?

ironcreed

Banned

3 bosses at once

only 1 estus flask
and then
get more through shards
two estus flasks left

Sounds like they made it harder. I admit I kinda do wish I could farm when in a rut. Guess I just have to 'get gud' or die trying.

Kensuke

It appears you need to make a STR/DEX build if you want to dual wield. You need 150% stat requirements for the weapons you want to dual wield. I'm playing right now, as a swordsman, but I can't dual wield anything.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Anything more overpowered in PvP than Tranquil Walk of Peace or as game-breaking as Second Chance?

Yes or no question, I don't want details. :p

Not 100% sure but apparently there is a miracle that requires
Faith to use. So Yes.

Vazra

Im good with what Listonosh said. It's an extra challenge and it makes you move forward and not endlessly farm easy enemies. Get good and move on. Then again there are other easier areas to farm from what i've seen.

Listonosh

Haha well looks like I'm in the minority here =D

Wish I could summon other folks but since the servers are still down, I might wait until Tuesday before I start pulling my hair out haha.

Vazra

Wish I could summon other folks but since the servers are still down, I might wait until Tuesday before I start pulling my hair out haha.

You will be fine when summons show up. In the meanwhile try going to other areas in order to get items and stuff.

Does anyone know what time on tuesday it will be up on PSN?

Grace Chen Time could be anytime.

After chatting with Amazon's customer service for the 3rd time, I have finally been told a honest reason as to why my game still hasn't been shipped. It seems that Amazon still hasn't received any Dark souls games whatsoever. And for the inconvenience after telling them I'll cancel both games I,ve pre-ordered (DsK2 and INfamous), I have been given 5$ for my next purchase. Wou-pee-fucking-hou. I'm giving it till tonight see if it ships, if not, I'm cancelling and getting myself the digital version on PSN.

Seance

Banned
Not 100% sure but apparently there is a miracle that requires
Faith to use. So Yes.

Not sure about that but there is a sorcery that needs
64 int
and a hex that needs an appalling
4 slots, 30 INT, 47 FTH and will use up all of your souls

Ferr986

It's also important to note that Dark Souls II world isn't open like DkS1. It is very much linear with a lot of gear gating, so it's not like I can say, well fuck that boss, I'll go to a different area and return once I'm better, because there are no other areas.

Didnt FROM said that DS2 would be more open and that you could skip entire areas if you were good enough or something like that?

ironcreed

Banned
Im good with what Listonosh said. It's an extra challenge and it makes you move forward and not endlessly farm easy enemies. Get good and move on. Then again there are other easier areas to farm from what i've seen.

You have to admit it is pretty funny to go to Darkroot Garden where you see the souls of other players kiting the guys off the ledge over and over, lol. It was a quick way to get a little boost and I even did it myself a bit. But it does seem like From just wants to encourage people to play the game without any cheap tricks and I appreciate that.

Ateron

3 bosses at once

only 1 estus flask
and then
get more through shards
two estus flasks left

The finite respawning is one of the things that worry me the most, forced pvp being the second. I can imagine being stuck in your position, which seems to be a dead end. Can you move to a different area or are you totally stuck in there until you can find a way to kill the boss?

I think this "limited enemy spawn" is nothing more than an attempt to force us to either engage in more online activities, be it invading or jolly co-op. You can always put down a summon sign and help others advance through that area, gaining souls and maybe humanity in the process, thus allowing you to break your own cycle.

Of course, if someone decides to play strictly offline (or don't have an internet connection) then they are screwed and that is a major flaw on From's part. I think the enemies should behave as usual, and, as other posters have said, you should have to activate that "no respawning" feature on a stone or something. Make us pay a souls fee, if you must. There are items to avoid this, as I think someone already mentioned that, but they should be available straight away. What happens when you're stuck at 15-20% of the game, when you don't have access to said items yet, and you've made some progress and don't feel like starting over? The system seems flawed.

It might be possible to find those items early on (I wouldn't know cause I'm trying my best not to spoil myself) and if it is, i'm sorry if i'm spreading misinformation.

Listonosh

Didnt FROM said that DS2 would be more open and that you could skip entire areas if you were good enough or something like that?

That's a great point actually. I do remember that quote. If there is a way, then I honestly have no idea how that's possible. All the side paths I ended up going to led me to a dead end (or at least dead end until a switch later opens a door or something) with a good item.

After chatting with Amazon's customer service for the 3rd time, I have finally been told a honest reason as to why my game still hasn't been shipped. It seems that Amazon still hasn't received any Dark souls games whatsoever. And for the inconvenience after telling them I'll cancel both games I,ve pre-ordered (DsK2 and INfamous), I have been given 5$ for my next purchase. Wou-pee-fucking-hou. I'm giving it till tonight see if it ships, if not, I'm cancelling and getting myself the digital version on PSN.

I'm still perplexed as to why people still pre-order online if they expect / need to have it day one. You can't beat brick-and-mortar stores if you need it right away.

Vazra

You have to admit it is pretty funny to go to Darkroot Garden where you see the souls of other players kiting the guys off the ledge over and over, lol. It was a quick way to get a little boost and I even did it myself a bit. But it does seem like From just wants to encourage people to play the game without any cheap tricks and I appreciate that.

The experience is a whole lot difference playing without the cheap tricks and learning to overcome things without Brute Force all the time really makes the experience worth it.

Jigorath

Banned

3 bosses at once

only 1 estus flask
and then
get more through shards
two estus flasks left

Really? Everything I've heard about the game says it's far more open than Dark Souls, apparently there's a lot more freedom this time around. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. I guess I'll see for myself on Tuesday.

Zaventem

3 bosses at once

only 1 estus flask
and then
get more through shards
two estus flasks left

Regarding hollowing their is
a ring that stop you from going lower than 75%
There is also a lady that sells lifegems
it's the lady with the cart on her back sells it for 300 souls a piece for the regular ones

I agree the extinction thing is stupid and it's not about farming for me as i never came across such a problem in the soul series. The world looks DEAD with the enemies gone, one of the wost decision ever. I rather them put a penalty on souls gained if they want to limit over leveling than completely removing enemies from the game. I love how alive the game looks with enemies roaming this is pretty disheartening. One step forward two steps back.

Also quick edit there are other areas you can go if you're stuck on a boss, most people i've seen so far think the pursuer is boss number 2 when this game has no correct way for boss orders in the early areas. As far as i know there are 3 low level areas you can take on right from the get go it's just most people go directly to the pursuer after defeating a certain boss and it isn't the "right way" so to speak.

Dresden

If it's for release day delivery, they usually ship it out the day before.

SJRB

Gold Member
I must've missed something, in what way does it have finite enemies? Doesn't everything reset after a bonfire visit anymore?

Grinchy

Banned

Well damn. That doesn't make me feel very confident that Best Buy will have my copy ready to pick up on Tuesday. Hopefully the brick-and-mortar stores have already received theirs...

Facism

I'd imagine a lot of your soul income would be from getting summoned into other worlds to help a brother out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom