• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
in Japan..

f20rLGs.jpg
Where in Japan!? I will go there post haste!

Klyka

Banned
I've seen a huge amount of the game by now and I am sadly extremely disappointed by everything I have seen.

Enemies, environments and especially bosses left me completely cold. Sad, cause I was hoping FROM could top the great work they did in DS1.

I forgot how impossible it was to keep up with forums like this. At least it looks like the graphics discussion is over and we can get back to what really matters gameplay. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice for it to look like the older video, but I love Dark Souls for the game play and challenge more than the graphics. Looks like Amazon has charged me and preparing to ship it. Praise the Sun!

Mendrox

I've seen a huge amount of the game by now and I am sadly extremely disappointed by everything I have seen.

Enemies, environments and especially bosses left me completely cold. Sad, cause I was hoping FROM could top the great work they did in DS1.

They did top it. Just play the game for yourself. Game doesn't even look like anything when I saw the streams - it looks much better if you play it yourself. Give it a try and be hyped.

Everyone should just stop spoiling themselves and just wait for the game or get it right now from his/her local shop.

Demons' Souls 8/10
Dark Souls 9/10
Dark Souls II 9,5/10 (atm, only played 9 hours so far)

Game is rich with content, no hand holding, hard as fuck (as a sorcerer) and graphics are hit and miss (ohh... who would have guessed?) but the art is perfect.

Uiki

...and I thought that I was the only one feeling like this...

SJRB

Gold Member
cldfbq.gif

I'm glad us Europeans have to wait a few days longer just so France, Germany and all those other countries can have their localisation. 't Is not fair!

Exactly. Those dirty hollows and their special language nonsense. I really, reall hate how Europe is always three days behind ever single time.

...and I thought that I was the only one feeling like this...

I've not played Dark Souls 2 yet so it is difficult to make a call, but I am really not happy about this feature that stops enemies spawning if you kill them 15 times. It's almost a big enough change to make me not want the game at all. This isn't just a case of "Go to the next NG+", as what if you want to stay in one area and fight your favourite enemy over and over? To get to that area again would be hours and hours of gameplay. So you go through NG+, you get there again, kill them another 15 times and they're gone again. Use that item which respawns them? That's another 15 times.

I dunno.. Perhaps the game is now much more balanced to leveling isn't required so much, but that wasn't the reason I would spend hours and hours in the Forest. I just loved fighting the enemies and if that feature is now effectively gone from the game, I don't think I want the game.

:(

Klyka

Banned
They did top it. Just play the game for yourself. Game doesn't even look like anything when I saw the streams - it looks much better if you play it yourself. Give it a try and be hyped.

Everyone should just stop spoiling themselves and just wait for the game or get it right now from his/her local shop.

Demons' Souls 8/10
Dark Souls 9/10
Dark Souls II 9,5/10 (atm, only played 9 hours so far)

Game is rich with content, no hand holding, hard as fuck (as a sorcerer) and graphics are hit and miss (ohh... who would have guessed?) but the art is perfect.

nah,sorry, i'd just sigh the whole way through

Uiki

I've not played Dark Souls 2 yet so it is difficult to make a call, but I am really not happy about this feature that stops enemies spawning if you kill them 15 times. It's almost a big enough change to make me not want the game at all. This isn't just a case of "Go to the next NG+", as what if you want to stay in one area and fight your favourite enemy over and over? To get to that area again would be hours and hours of gameplay. So you go through NG+, you get there again, kill them another 15 times and they're gone again. Use that item which respawns them? That's another 15 times.

I dunno.. Perhaps the game is now much more balanced to leveling isn't required so much, but that wasn't the reason I would spend hours and hours in the Forest. I just loved fighting the enemies and if that feature is now effectively gone from the game, I don't think I want the game.

:(

On paper this is the major change to the game.. but it's not that. You really don't need to farm this time. You can just go on with the "quest" without difficulty. Yet it sucks that you can't do it..

The main problem is that I'm waiting for the game to start, to click, to show me that it's awesome. I'm 20 hours in and i'm feeling like I'm going through the motions.

The major letdown, for me, it's the level design.

SJRB

Gold Member
Nedgame is one of them. If you order it from their site you'll get it tomorrow. They hope to have every store filled up tomorrow.

That would be pretty incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a store breaking street date by three days, it's usually one day before release.

Totally picking it up if they decide to start selling early though, so keep me posted please, good sir.

On paper this is the major change to the game.. but it's not that. You really don't need to farm this time. You can just go on with the "quest" without difficulty. Yet it sucks that you can't do it..

The main problem is that I'm waiting for the game to start, to click, to show me that it's awesome. I'm 20 hours in and i'm feeling like I'm going through the motions.

The major letdown, for me, it's the level design.

Hmm, well that is even more of a concern because Dark Souls (1) had me from the beginning, it was incredible. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I managed to get to the Parish Bonfire, it took me fucking forever because it was so challenging. The sense of accomplishment was like nothing else. The narrow corridors and small rooms with cleverly placed enemies, then the path around it with the three guards, or inside the parish with the much, much tougher enemies.

I guess with Dark Souls 2, we have been there before, and this is just... more of the same? Like there is nothing significantly new because its *just* a sequel, so you know what to expect etc? Is that how you're feeling?

Raxious

That would be pretty incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a store breaking street date by three days, it's usually one day before release.

Totally picking it up if they decide to start selling early though, so keep me posted please, good sir.

Lol, it's happend dozen of times. Just gotta check them interwebs. I got Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 almost a week before it's release through a different store. Uncharted 3 was sold 4 days before it's official release by GameMania etc.

Klyka

Banned
I have literally killed 90% of every enemies/boss I saw in DS2 so far already in DeS and DS1. The animations,the way they behave,everything.

There is just nothing that grabs me and goes "hey,here is this totally new stuff you want to experience!"

Guess I am burned out on the series.

Shinjica

The major letdown, for me, it's the level design

What do you mean by that?

slash3584

I have literally killed 90% of every enemies/boss I saw in DS2 so far already in DeS and DS1. The animations,the way they behave,everything.

There is just nothing that grabs me and goes "hey,here is this totally new stuff you want to experience!"

That's sad :(, maybe you are.

Uiki

I guess with Dark Souls 2, we have been there before, and this is just... more of the same? Like there is nothing significantly new because its *just* a sequel, so you know what to expect etc? Is that how you're feeling?

Sadly... exactly like that.

Hold on, are you saying that bosses/characters in DS2 are.. kind of reskins of Dark Souls enemies?

Uiki

What do you mean by that?

It's different. It's more similar to demon's souls.

The main thing is that the world feels disconnected, like a series of stand alone stages.

Yeah, shortcuts are there... but not as "clever" as before. And sometimes the level design just don't make sense (hard to say what it's wrong without spoiling something, just wait till your reach
no man's wharf
).

It's missing the sense of wonder and it's hard to describe exactly why.

Is it more of a "you burning out on the series" thing or do you think the level design is genuinely worse?

I fucking love souls games.

Jack cw

The main thing is that the world feels disconnected, like a series of stand alone stages.

Yeah, shortcuts are there... but not as "clever" as before. And sometimes the level design just don't make sense (hard to say what it's wrong without spoiling something, just wait till your reach
no man's wharf
).

This sounds like me when I played Mass Effect 2 and 3.
I guess its the fate of being a sequel and more of the same. I liked the Demons Nexus hub a bit more than the convoluted connections in DS. Both were great though and worked. I hope I dont encounter what you are describing :/

Klyka

Banned

no man's wharf
).

I fucking love souls games.

This entire post is what I think.

pupcoffee

I'm seeing a lot of mixed messages - it's hard or it's too easy, the bosses are good or the bosses are lame, the game is artistically well directed or the game is dull - this reminds me of the release of the original Dark Souls. People still argue about this exact stuff between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls today.

Is it me or are the Souls games very difficult to pin down when it comes to this sort of thing? Is that part of what makes them great?

no man's wharf
).

It's missing the sense of wonder and it's hard to describe exactly why...

not surprised by this whatsoever. from just hasn't had nearly enough time to put together something genuinely impressive. i plan on enjoying it for what it is, but i've never really expected this game to be some sort of revelation. not really crazy about some of the 'improved' mechanics either, but, whatever, i'm sure i'll have enough fun with it for a while...

Uiki

This entire post is what I think.

I need to ask you something:

In one of the first sections, the base of the tower (can't remember the name), the one near the bonfire with the old lady selling you stuff... is that the exact same polygonal model of the bridge in 1-1 in demon's souls?

And even later, when you board the ship... there's a part of the level on a castle wall. It feels exactly like 1-4 >_<

Am I going mad? lol

Fhtagn

Is it me or are the Souls games very difficult to pin down when it comes to this sort of thing? Is that part of what makes them great?

Yup. I have read and seen enough to know I will at least enjoy this game and will be reserving my ultimate judgement until I have at least 100 hours into it.

Anyone know if anything whatsoever surfaced about the next project Hidetaka Miyazaki is working on? I want a Souls game on PS4 so bad. I don't mind if it's not Demon's Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3, I'd actually even prefer and LOVE a whole new Souls game instead.

I decided to cancel my pre-order from amazon since they wern't shipping the damn thing, and pre-ordered it from PSN instead. It cost less and I'll have it as soon as 3am here to download. Too bad I don't have the patience to wait till April 25th for the PC version.

Kensuke

I noticed an interesting little thing about the warping menu.
Area's are automatically sorted according to difficulty. It can be a good hint which one you should tackle if you get stuck. The second area I discovered is now sixth on the list, no wonder I was having a tough time.

Some starting tips (only light spoilers):
If you get stuck, try a different area.
This game area's branch like crazy, there are always at least three or four options you can pursue.

Keep talking to NPC's until they have no new dialogue. Sometimes they give you a (key) item after talking to them a few times.

Don't worry about
Human Effigies,
they are not that rare.

Get the Ring of Binding as soon as possible. It halts the HP degradation after you die (to 75% instead of 50% I believe). Location:
Heide's Tower of Flame (directly accessible from Majula). In the big circular hall with three enemies go left (you have to at least kill the guy in the middle and the guy guarding the left entrance. Kill the two enemies after that and go up the stairs. Kill the final swordsman and active the switch that appears. It leads to a chest containing the ring (and a boss).

Don't worry about non-respawning enemies. You need way fewer souls to level up in this game. After 14 hours I'm already lvl. 50, even though I'm screwing around a lot. There is no need to grind at all.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of mixed messages - it's hard or it's too easy, the bosses are good or the bosses are lame, the game is artistically well directed or the game is dull - this reminds me of the release of the original Dark Souls. People still argue about this exact stuff between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls today.

I think the only real explanation is that this game is very hit or miss. Hell, this entire series is pretty much that in essence.
Really though it's no surprise. We all knew that there would be changes with DS2 (some bigger than others) and it's just a matter of personal taste. Some may find certain changes sub par or bad while to others those changes could be the coconut shavings on an already delicious cake.

In the end though, not everyone likes coconut shavings.

Shinjica

Area's are automatically sorted according to difficulty. It can be a good hint which one you should tackle if you get stuck. The second area I discovered is now sixth on the list, no wonder I was having a tough time.

This game area's branch like crazy, there are always at least three or four options you can pursue.

Keep talking to NPC's until they have no new dialogue. Sometimes they give you a (key) item after talking to them a few times.

Don't worry about
Human Effigies,
they are not that rare.

Get the Ring of Binding as soon as possible. It halts the HP degradation after you die (to 75% instead of 50% I believe). Location:
Heide's Tower of Flame (directly accessible from Majula). In the big circular hall with three enemies go left (you have to at least kill the guy in the middle and the guy guarding the left entrance. Kill the two enemies after that and go up the stairs. Kill the final swordsman and active the switch that appears. It leads to a chest containing the ring (and a boss).

Don't worry about non-respawning enemies. You need way fewer souls to level up in this game. After 14 hours I'm already lvl. 50, even though I'm screwing around a lot. There is no need to grind at all.

My only worry about farming is if you're a mage. Logan in the first game has the strongest spell but their cost was really high (100'000 souls for all the crystal magic)

Klyka

Banned
I need to ask you something:

In one of the first sections, the base of the tower (can't remember the name), the one near the bonfire with the old lady selling you stuff... is that the exact same polygonal model of the bridge in 1-1 in demon's souls?

And even later, when you board the ship... there's a part of the level on a castle wall. It feels exactly like 1-4 >_<

Am I going mad? lol

I've seen many places wher eI thought "yep i have seen that before"

Don't worry about
Human Effigies,
they are not that rare.

Thanks for this. It was obviously a very strong design choice to remove the need to grind out of the game. I really enjoyed it, and fell in love with the combat, so it still comes as a disappointment.

Kensuke

no man's wharf
).

I noticed the same thing. I think it's because area's are smaller and more linear now. I haven't seen anything nearly as big as Blighttown of Undead Burg. A new area immediately introduces a new theme, so if you go from area to area you end up feeling that the world is disconnected.

There are also way too many bonfires. And the warping makes it easy to just ignore certain area's after you beat them. There is no need for the clever shortcuts because of the warping. There is less exploring, less huge open spaces hiding mysteries. That's whats diminishing the sense of wonder.

On the plus side, there seem to be way more area's. So at least there is a ton variety. Same goes for enemies, I'm having way more fun fighting regular enemies that I did in past games.

I don't feel like I'm going through the motions. I'm still having a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom