• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kureizu

why would anyone would like to disable vsync? do you want to lose your eyesight? i take a worse framerate over tearing any time of the day :-(

I understand you. Tearing has never bothered me personally, If I can get a higher framerate because of tearing I will gladly do so.

Giving us the option to enable or disable it like the Bioshock games wouldn't hurt though.

Sinfamy

HMmGyzS.jpg

What is this? March 31st?
When I ordered it, it said March 11th.

takriel

I'm saddened by all these negative reactions. But I won't let them get me down, too. I'm not tired of Souls games yet and wouldn't mind if the game borrows things from its predecessor. Also I don't mind the supposed graphical downgrade, as I haven't watched footage since last year's E3. I'd be totally fine if it were on the same graphical level as Dark Souls, although it's not optimal I agree. I just want solid gameplay, atmosphere, great level design and an overall immersive experience. And judging by the few things I have seen of the game, I'll be getting exactly that. So I'm still hyped, although I must say that all these negative talk flattened my hype a liiiiittle bit...

Jack cw

I'm saddened by all these negative reactions. But I won't let them get me down, too. I'm not tired of Souls games yet and wouldn't mind if the game borrows things from its predecessor. Also I don't mind the supposed graphical downgrade, as I haven't watched footage since last year's E3. I'd be totally fine if it were on the same graphical level as Dark Souls, although it's not optimal I agree. I just want solid gameplay, atmosphere, great level design and an overall immersive experience. And judging by the few things I have seen of the game, I'll be getting exactly that. So I'm still hyped, although I must say that all these negative talk flattened my hype a liiiiittle bit...

We kind of had statements like these with DS1 and Demons too. Its understandable that some kind of fatigue comes in when the concept is basically the same but its apparently still fun and I would love 20 more sequels just because the formula is still better than what most of the other games are offering.

Found a basic stat calculator on Reddit. Plug your desired build stats into it and it tells you what Level each starter class has to go to to achieve that build and recommends the best fastest to reach build) class to pick.

The calculator can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/darksouls2stats/

I don't know how accurate this is, but I tried it for a build I'm considering (DEX with a little bit of INT and Attunement at 13 for 2 spell slots):
My desired build was VIG 20 / END 20 / VIT 20 / ATT 13 / STR 16 / DEX 40 / ADP 20 / INT 15 / FTH base level

and the calculator gave me these results:
115 Warrior
116 Knight
115 Swordsman
118 Bandit
122 Cleric
115 Sorcerer
115 Explorer
116 Deprived
Best class: Warrior
HP: 1376

Looks like Warrior, Swordsman, Sorcerer, or Explorer are the best classes to go with for that build since I can reach those stats at Level 115. But early game would play very differently with each class, since starting stats are different.

Edit: adding links to info about Stats and soft caps
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1zz938/data_on_diminishing_returns_for_stats/
Gamefaqs post: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68745726

Still seeing this:

ds2.png

When I click track package it says "not yet shipped."

I emailed Amazon about it a few days ago. Here's my message:

Amazon says this item is available for release date delivery but I didn't see the option when I checked out. Will I receive this item on the 11th?
Their response:

Hello,

I apologize for any misunderstanding.

"Dark Souls II (Collector's Edition) - PlayStation 3 Collector'S Edition Edition" is scheduled for release on March 11. We expect to deliver your order by March 11.

When your order is shipped, we'll send you an e-mail confirmation. We don't charge you for items until they enter the shipping process.
I'm starting to doubt it'll actually come tomorrow but at least I have this email to use against them if it comes down to it...

Jack cw

Well, shame. That kinda sucks.

Honestly, after 100 times dashing through the same sections everytime, avoiding encounters just to get to a certain spot, I was pretty glad that the Lord Vessel existed in DS. I dont like fast travel either, but after a while, all the backtracking becomes pretty annoying. I understand the disappointment though.

Darkone

Sitting at work right now and thinking why i should wait for the PC release!!!
Don`t think i will make it without DS2 till the 25th of next month.

Nintyb

Banned
just because the formula is still better than what most of the other games are offering.

Exactly. It's why I'm not getting upset over a lot of these posts about downgraded visuals or more of the same talk. When you've been playing video games for 20+ years, it's all practically the same shit. At least the Souls series actually presents some sort of challenge in an age where every game holds your hand.

My CE finally shipped from Amazon. The grueling wait begins.

Yu Narukami

Found a basic stat calculator on Reddit. Plug your desired build stats into it and it tells you what Level each starter class has to go to to achieve that build and recommends the best fastest to reach build) class to pick.

The calculator can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/darksouls2stats/

I don't know how accurate this is, but I tried it for a build I'm considering (DEX with a little bit of INT and Attunement at 13 for 2 spell slots):
My desired build was VIG 20 / END 20 / VIT 20 / ATT 13 / STR 16 / DEX 40 / ADP 20 / INT 15 / FTH base level

and the calculator gave me these results:
115 Warrior
116 Knight
115 Swordsman
118 Bandit
122 Cleric
115 Sorcerer
115 Explorer
116 Deprived
Best class: Warrior
HP: 1376

Looks like Warrior, Swordsman, Sorcerer, or Explorer are the best classes to go with for that build since I can reach those stats at Level 115. But early game would play very differently with each class, since starting stats are different.

Are 20 in VIG, END, VIT and ADP the soft caps?

Honestly, after 100 times dashing through the same sections everytime, avoiding encounters just to get to a certain spot, I was pretty glad that the Lord Vessel existed in DS. I dont like fast travel either, but after a while, all the backtracking becomes pretty annoying. I understand the disappointment though.
The difference is that you couldn't actually warp to every single bonfire in DkS, which was great IMO. Letting the player warp to every single bonfire is a bit of a downer but then again, I haven't played the game yet and if the level design fits that may not be a problem at all.

Are 20 in VIG, END, VIT and ADP the soft caps?

According to what people posted on Reddit and a post from Gamefaqs, 20 for Vigor and Endurance, 29 for Vitality are the soft caps. I'm not 100% certain, just re-iterating what other people have posted.

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1zz938/data_on_diminishing_returns_for_stats/
Gamefaqs post: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68745726

Edit- according to the links, each point in Vig up to 20 points, adds 30 HP, 21-50 points adds 20 HP, then drops after 50 to only 5 HP per point added

Listonosh

As far as I know, only enemies (specific enemies?) near bonfires will stop spawning. Not all enemies from all areas. Someone who has played the game can chime in and clarify. Plus there IS an item that can re spawn enemies in an area, but it seems to be extremely rare from what i've heard. You can also either A: go to a different area/boss or B: Try skill or C: get help.

I don't think this is true. I've cleared out an entire section and all those enemies are now forever gone, at least without using the bonfire ascetic.

chunk3rvd

Trying to get an answer on this while maintaining my DSII blackout so I'm entering this risky thread! Despite sinking 1500 hours into the original Dark Souls across PC and PS3 I still stupidly left my sequel preorder to the last minute :/

Is there anywhere in the UK where I could still get a PS3 Black Armor Edition on Friday? ShopTo, Game and Amazon all look like a no-go. Am I out of luck now since it needed to be a pre-order the shop could book with the distributors in advance?

Laws00

Amazon still hasnt shipped my game. I read the estimated day ill get it is March 17. I swear to god, if it does not ship by tomorrow morning and get to my house by the afternoon, im cancelling my game and buying it on psn digtal wise which i do not want to do :(

Sitting at work right now and thinking why i should wait for the PC release!!!
Don`t think i will make it without DS2 till the 25th of next month.

Do it just so you'll get the definitive version. There's so much disappointment going on with the console versions and their downgrades. Whether or not the PC version is victim to it, may as well wait for the strongest version.

You certainly won't be alone in waiting.

Well, shame. That kinda sucks.
Eh, I'd rather have warps from the start.

Opening shortcuts and walking around is fine and dandy, but after a while having to go through lower level areas to get where you want to go for the Nth time gets old.

And well, you can always just not use it.

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
I just the beat the game... and still have no access to
McDuff's skills, even though I can talk to him

Does anyone know what to do to unlock that?

Thanks!

ironcreed

Banned

Yep, there is definite benefit and I welcome it. But on the bright side, you don't have to warp if you don't want. Sometimes I will, sometimes I will take the scenic route. It's nice to have the option.

Jack cw

The difference is that you couldn't actually warp to every single bonfire in DkS, which was great IMO. Letting the player warp to every single bonfire is a bit of a downer but then again, I haven't played the game yet and if the level design fits that may not be a problem at all.

Absolutely true but apparently the level caps have changed tremendously, so the grinding isnt that essential anymore and fast travelling from the begining not the biggest deal. It made perfect sense after Anor Londo in DS1 because by then you had a build that was pretty solid and basically done for places like the tomb of giants and had explored most of the world. I guess we have to see how it affects the exploration in the world of DS2. And like ironcreed said, its still optional.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just the beat the game... and still have no access to
McDuff's skills, even though I can talk to him

Does anyone know what to do to unlock that?

Thanks!

Ask on Spoilers thread. Most in here havent played the game yet.

jimboton

There are also way too many bonfires. And the warping makes it easy to just ignore certain area's after you beat them. There is no need for the clever shortcuts because of the warping. There is less exploring, less huge open spaces hiding mysteries. That's whats diminishing the sense of wonder.

This is exactly what I feared when we learned of the unrestricted warping. Shit.

I'm guessing there are few, if any, instances of being able to see distant zones you've already been into from annther place several hours later, like seing the undead burg from Dark root basin, Tomb of the Giants from Izailth, Great Hollow from Tomb of the Giants, etc. This is quite sad.

It seems to me from the info that's surfacing regarding level design that DaS 2 may compare to DaS like King's Field 3 did to King's Field 2, i.e. it trades interconnectedness, detail and sense of place for raw extension and shallow variety. Not really a good thing.

Disappointed to hear this (but still hyped for Friday. Bring it on!)

ironcreed

Banned
I went ahead and ordered the hardcover collector's edition guide. I rarely ever do so, but yeah, it's Dark Souls and they have made some changes. Plus it looks really nice.

Sanctuary

Every bonfire from the start.

You mean, you have the ability to warp to every bonfire you find, not that you can simply jump to any area you want at the very start, right?
Seems pretty obvious, but with some of these changes one never knows.

Guarantee this won't be a problem. The guy streaming hit SL122 on the first playthrough without grinding once because the soft cap is much higher now.

At SL90 it took him about 10k souls to level up and at SL120 it took about 19k souls. For comparison in DkS1 at SL90 it cost 50k souls for a level and at SL120 it cost 92k souls. If you grind enemies until the extinction limit I can see players hitting SL150 comfortably.

That's good to know, I guess? It's not like it was exactly hard to accrue a massive amount of souls in a very short time in the Darkroot Garden. Before NG+ you could get 4k+ a minute.
I don't think the limited respawning will matter to me much, until I start hitting the areas that I've run through too many times already (because of dying or whatever reason). It's not even the souls that I would care about either as much as regular enemies simply not being there doesn't feel very Souls like.

the mark

Sorry if this has been asked a lot.
When will the game be available for download on US-PSN?
Tomorrow at midnight or sometimes at Grace Chen time, when the store usually updates?

Thanks in advance.

Clockwork5

Ook will do :3
Or rather not, Ill just have to wait and see. Last time I samt my foot in there I was assulted by all these boss names :p

Good point :)

I haven't stepped foot in there. But with all of the broken street dates and twitch streams many here are speaking freely about the game world.

Your inquiry is pretty innocent and could be easily tagged, my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom