• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupei

I want to beat shit up not magick it. So should I just go with a different class that doesn't waste on int and build it into a dual wield right?

You start out with a lot of INT but also two weapons that are already +1 so, you know. Weigh it. (The cost of the shards alone would be around 3200 to level up two swords like that at the start. That doesn't include finding/buying them and the actual costs of the upgrade ... once you find a blacksmith.)

But the "right class" is up to each person.

Curious to hear if anyone's playing Sorcerer and what they think of the supposed improvements to magic this time.

Soriku

Curious to hear if anyone's playing Sorcerer and what they think of the supposed improvements to magic this time.

From what I'm hearing, sorcery/pyromancy is pretty good.

I'm currently having a crisis and not sure what class to pick lol. I think I might go for a Moonlight Greatsword / Battlemage build like in DkS1, though I was hampered by keeping Str/Dex low. Then again, the stat requirements for it now are higher, so I might be OK:

18 STR
18 DEX
18 INT

A
scaling with Int too.

Also I hope no one's going to hamper me about spoilers about the MLGS being in. It's a From staple and was in the past two Souls games besides.

With this, and probably some sorcery usage, I think Swordsman is the way to go for min/max?

I suppose some of you are probably playing right now, aren't you? This is where I get off, then. I'll check back in tomorrow after I've played a bit and made some progress.

Seance

Banned
Oh, it had a certain kind of fanservice.

iERyt58O4mpO9.gif

This female reminds me of that chick from The Grudge.

Sanctuary

I've only been playing it for an hour so far, and I'm not sure what to think. The beginning area is not flattering at all to look at unlike the previous two games, and the stone/rock or whatever it's supposed to be just looks really freaking odd.

Snuggly
is back, and the voice change is going to take some adjustment. It's actually pretty annoying, in an anime kind of way.

On the plus side, now I don't know who I'd consider the best in the business at CG videos. It's a tossup between FROM, Blizzard and Square for me.

The giantbomb quick look where they go around trying to figure out what lighting torches does really shows how much has been changed. Unless it really does end up unlocking something.

pupcoffee

Anybody interested in increasing the challenge of your first or so playthrough? I'm not interested in doing Sl lvl 1 playthroughs but I do enjoy these soft challenge rules:

- No spending of souls allowed except immediately after defeating a boss (though in Dark Souls 1 "no spending souls allowed except after immediately lighting a new bonfire" worked better)
- No rings allowed (or maybe only 1 ring allowed? it would be more interesting because if there was like a cling ring in this game you'd have to sacrifice it for other necessary benefits, with 2 slots you could manage it a lot easier)
- No magic powered weapons allowed (i,e, mellee weapons can only inflict physical damage)

I might enforce these on my first playthrough, could be interesting. Have fun Gaf!

Soriku

If you want to go str/dex/int, then yeah, swordsman is a fine choice. or just start sorc and raise the melee stats that you'll need.

Oh yeah, Sorceror could be a good choice. It starts with one less Faith than Swordsman but has high Int already and Attunement points which I'll probably need. Hmm...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Does anyone know how the servers are going to work for multiplayer? For Demons it was by game version (US ver could only play US ver, etc.) and Dark Souls was... yeah....

But now that they have real servers are they going by game version again?

Jobbs

Banned
Anybody interested in increasing the challenge of your first or so playthrough? I'm not interested in doing Sl lvl 1 playthroughs but I do enjoy these soft challenge rules:

- No spending of souls allowed except immediately after defeating a boss
- No rings allowed

I might enforce these on my first playthrough, could be interesting. Have fun Gaf!

Nah, on my first play, I have no idea what to expect, so I'm gonna respect the game and play hard. Hats off if you do this, though.

Sanctuary

Not noticing any screen tearing at all either on the PS3 version, and I'm spinning the camera all over the place to try to force it. It might end up happening later, but for those that were going "OMG screen tear, I'll kill myself!" can calm down, because it's probably not going to appear all that much.

OH MY GOD that second area you visit!

Sadly the first area clearly shows the light mechanic is broken. You can tell that area is supposed to be totally dark to make use of the torch but its completely lit in that weird look you see in the shots.

Timu

60 hours to beat it according to IGN, great, just like the original Dark Souls, and with my limited time with games I wouldn't be surprised if it takes me a month and a half-2 months to beat it, lol.

Soriku

Not noticing any screen tearing at all either on the PS3 version, and I'm spinning the camera all over the place to try to force it. It might end up happening later, but for those that were going "OMG screen tear, I'll kill myself!" can calm down, because it's probably not going to appear all that much.

Screen tearing is in the 360 version :p

Gorillaz

alright, played about an hour, getting some sleep

I think I am going in the right direction because enemies are around the same "level" as me
Forest of Giants

So far it still feels core DS just a different way of dealing with it all. Interesting way to get the first few items compared to 1.

Soooooo

That
white knight sitting down against the tree....

Yes? No?
Lol I just stopped after dealing with that....
hope that's not solarie :/

I found a
coffin around those two giant monsters, I got in, it showed me a cutscene of me floating away in the coffin but then I appeared right back where I started. WTF. I guess that comes into play later? Dont answer me if its a spoiler.

I found a
coffin around those two giant monsters, I got in, it showed me a cutscene of me floating away in the coffin but then I appeared right back where I started. WTF. I guess that comes into play later? Dont answer me if its a spoiler.

Non story spoiler
Your character is the opposite gender now, you didn't notice?

Casanova

The starting textures and level of detail in the intro level looks noticeably worse than in Dark Souls, why is that? Like, seriously, I am having difficulty playing this game right now after all of the anticipation... I understand it's not a game designed to visually impress anyone, but I feel like this is way worse than Dark Souls 1 even. I'm not sure what's going on, really. I know this shouldn't be normal.

Like it seriously looks awful on my television - on 720p... definitely worse than Dark Souls 1 for some reason.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I found a
Take off your helmet.

Dead

well not really...yet
Shocked that the black armor edition actually includes a CD rather than a music download. Also seems to pack a lot of tracks...

Stoze

I think I'm gonna pick this up from Redbox when I drop off Stick of Truth in 10 minutes. Going in pretty much blind, stopped playing the first Dark Souls after 40-50 hours of playing it because I got bored. Sounds like blasphemy I know, but I'm just one of those guys who it didn't click with. Willing to play this for a few days to give it a chance, I'll buy it if I really enjoy it.

deim0s

Can't wait to rip-off the plastic and play.

Apologies, I'm on a media blackout. I skimmed at one review on the way home and read that enemies "de-spawn" at a point. What's up with that?

Can't wait to rip-off the plastic and play.

Apologies, I'm on a media blackout. I skimmed at one review on the way home and read that enemies "de-spawn" at a point. What's up with that?

To allow people stuck on a boss an option to just obliterate all the enemies standing between the bonfire and the fog gate, I guess. If they're going to be that generous why not just put a bonfire in front of every fog gate? I'd actually prefer that to the enemy extinction system.

Wookieomg

Can anyone else get online? I got the patch installed, got to the start screen, but when the game tries to connect to the servers, it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom